Menu

Beanie (hat) question, specificially for teens

So, I knitted my son a beanie (who is not a teen) and my husband and I don't agree on how he should wear it - brim folded vs. not.  I was planning to make some for my nephews who are teenagers and was wondering what is the "cool" way to wear them right now, because that will determine the size I make these hats. For those with teens or if you are stylish, what is hot right now - brim upturned or just worn straight?

Wait, those are called beanies now?  When did we in North America adopt the Brit/Australian usage of that word?  And is it regional, or have I just been living under a bridge? I always understood a beanie to mean what Wikipedia defines it as for North American usage - those little seamed caps with a button on the top - like the Brownies used to wear - not something that anyone would be wearing about these days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanie_(seamed_cap)

In North American usage, a beanie or skully is a head-hugging brimless cap with or without a visor. In the United States, beanies are made from triangular sections of cloth joined by a button at the crown, and seamed together around the sides. They can also be made from leather or silk panels.

In other English-speaking countries, a "beanie" is a knitted cap (often woollen), known in the United States as a "stocking cap" or "beanie" and in Canada as a "tuque".

I've always called those other things - hats.  Maybe 'knitted hat' or 'winter hat' if I had to differentiate it from a fedora or something.  I have heard 'stocking cap', but honestly I think of those as longer and kind of triangular like this

Wait, those are called beanies now?  When did we in North America adopt the Brit/Australian usage of that word?  And is it regional, or have I just been living under a bridge? I always understood a beanie to mean what Wikipedia defines it as for North American usage - those little seamed caps with a button on the top - like the Brownies used to wear - not something that anyone would be wearing about these days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanie_(seamed_cap)

In North American usage, a beanie or skully is a head-hugging brimless cap with or without a visor. In the United States, beanies are made from triangular sections of cloth joined by a button at the crown, and seamed together around the sides. They can also be made from leather or silk panels.

In other English-speaking countries, a "beanie" is a knitted cap (often woollen), known in the United States as a "stocking cap" or "beanie" and in Canada as a "tuque".

I've always called those other things - hats.  Maybe 'knitted hat' or 'winter hat' if I had to differentiate it from a fedora or something.  I have heard 'stocking cap', but honestly I think of those as longer and kind of triangular like this

I am from the USA and have know them as beanies as long as I can remember.

In our area, the term refers one of two things:

1. a knitted cap despite the particular style of the cap.  It can be a small skull cap or a long cap like you linked in your picture.

2. a hat that fits snug against the skull.  It can be felted or pretty much any material, but typically made of a soft stretchable fabric (as opposed to leather etc). 

Most often, it would be a knitted, tight fitting or sagging hat. 

I guess I'm all alone in having this image and this image come to mind when I hear 'beanie'. ;)

No, that's what I thought too! That and the little multi-colored beanies that come with propellers on top of them. 

The type of cap the OP is describing we would call a stocking cap. I've heard it called a skull cap, but at the time I thought it was in reference to a particular brand of stocking cap, but now I'm not so sure! 

No, that's what I thought too! That and the little multi-colored beanies that come with propellers on top of them. 

The type of cap the OP is describing we would call a stocking cap. I've heard it called a skull cap, but at the time I thought it was in reference to a particular brand of stocking cap, but now I'm not so sure! 

My second link is one with a propeller.  Glad I'm not alone. :D

I think of a skull cap as the kind of hat the pope and the cardinals wear.. 'cause I don't think you can tell the pope he's wearing a beanie. :lol:

That's the same pic I linked to in the post where I talked about stocking caps... sigh, I miss being able to just put the pics in the post!!

I read through the previous posts but I didn't click all of the links.

Well, great minds thinking alike, right!?

Um who cares? Hand it to the kid and let him wear it however he wants.

I think she is wanting to know, because certain styles require different lengths of beanies.  A sagging beaning is designed different than a skull cap style.  It also affects the colors and pattern of colors.

I don't think anyone "cares"...the op is knitting beanies for gifts and was taking an informal poll to help her decided what size.

Upthread you'll see that there is agreement on beanie freedom: there's no wrong way to wear a beanie!!

:)

Beanie freedom!!! I love it.

Just the other day I saw a Graham in the wild. I like this one because it's just slightly slouchy if worn uncuffed but if you want to turn the cuff up it won't be too much extra fabric to be awkward looking. FWIW The young man I saw it on wore it uncuffed.

Beanie freedom!!! I love it.

Just the other day I saw a Graham in the wild. I like this one because it's just slightly slouchy if worn uncuffed but if you want to turn the cuff up it won't be too much extra fabric to be awkward looking. FWIW The young man I saw it on wore it uncuffed.

I like that one a lot! I may cast that one on!