Menu

Can I make soap for gifts (without trip to ER)?

bzymom

I do a lot of different crafts, but making soap intimidates me.  

Since this is a frugal holiday season, I am considering making some soaps to give as gifts.  The instructions I find online involve lye, rubber gloves and scary warnings. :scared: If there is any possibility of an ER or hazmat situation, I am probably going to need to stay away!

If anyone has suggestions, experiences or a great website for a manageable way to do this, I would be grateful!

Just be careful with the lye solution. Handle it with respect and you will do fine.

ETA: Lye is caustic and can cause severe skin issues. But, it isn't going to jump out and get you and it's not going to explode. It will get hot so you want to pour slowly and carefully and avoid splashing on your skin. But, just use common sense and handle it like you would any hot pot of liquid. Think of it like hot oil and behave accordingly.

I think glycerin soaps don't have any of the "scary".

Personally, I wouldn't mess with lye.

Another option is grated ivory soap with scrubby add ins. My kids did this at an activity once and I liked using the soap. It had oatmeal and was also colored somehow, might have been food coloring. I wonder if one could add a scent that would mix okay with the ivory soap smell.

I have thought of making soap and giving it along with a handknit washcloth. If you get the cotton yarn on sale these could be inexpensive.

I plan to do this this year.  DH made me a soap mold for Christmas last year and I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I have a dear friend who makes TONS of soap and sells them at a weekly booth/farmer's market place.  She is quite successful.

She even has a video out if anyone is interested.

http://www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com

Dd16 wants to do this one for friends. Now I have to figure out what essential oils to use and where to get them. I might find some mint but I'm not sure about lavender. I do want to find some molds though. I don't like the rolled up balls they show in this tutorial.

Here is a place that sells essential oils:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/aura-cacia-pure-essential-oil-lemon-0-5-oz-liquid?SourceCode=INTL405&CAWELAID=249781308&catargetid=530002460000105060&cadevice=c&mkwid=02S3aZIG&pcrid=59192791207&gclid=CNang_XLpMECFXEQ7AodGC0ALg

It might not wind up being frugal once you buy all the stuff! The melted glycerine soaps are cute novelties, but they're not overly useful. They melt away in a few of uses. Real, useful soap is more of an art form and takes a while to master. A good friend makes amazing soap now, but I know it's taken her time and money to get there. She still messes up after years, but then she sells her friends the oopsie batches.

The felted bars someone mentioned--that's a great idea!

Thanks for all of the feedback on this.

I am crocheting wascloths, and am looking at ways to make a "complete" gift. I have felted soap before, so that may be a good, less expensive alternative. I am less afraid of the process and the lye reading the responses, so maybe I can spend some time learning to do it well next year before I try to make gifts.

: )

• 3 weeks later...

I think glycerin soaps don't have any of the "scary".

Personally, I wouldn't mess with lye.

Another option is grated ivory soap with scrubby add ins. My kids did this at an activity once and I liked using the soap. It had oatmeal and was also colored somehow, might have been food coloring. I wonder if one could add a scent that would mix okay with the ivory soap smell.

I have thought of making soap and giving it along with a handknit washcloth. If you get the cotton yarn on sale these could be inexpensive.

All soaps have lye and clear glycerin soap is the most difficult to make.

There is melt and pour soup that one can just melt down, add things, and then pour into molds but it isn't the same as actual glycerin soap.

If you want to learn to make soap I would plan it as a gift for next year. It does take some time and practice to master.

The first thing I started on was bath bombs. They are super fun to make and easy. 

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/bath-fizzies/soap-queen-tv-bath-fizzy-fun-2/

I am mostly linking this for the video, she uses more ingredients than necessary. It is pretty much

2 parts baking soda

1 part citric acid (you can find this at beer/wine making supple shops)

witchhazel for spritzing

essential oil

dye, salt, glitter (optional)