Menu

beef stew recipe?

HollyDay

I brown beef stew meat then set aside

Once meat is browned I put garlic and onions in pot and let them cook a bit remove from pot and set aside

I then add some red wine to deglaze the pan

To pot I throw in

Carrots (I really prefer the big carrots to baby carrots. They just taste more carroty)

Celery

Potato

Beef stock

tomato sauce

Corn

Green beans

marjoram

thyme

rosemary

pepper

diced tomatoes (I usually use a big can, when I make beef stew I make a HUGE pot of it)

I would normally add bay but my husband doesn't like bay

Sometimes I get crazy and add zucchini or turnips but there is a mixed reception to those.

If it has ice stormed to the point where I am crying I make Beef Bourguignon using Julia Child's recipe.

Put 2 pounds of stew meat/stew beef in a Dutch oven and just barely cover with water.

Add 2 cans tomato soup and bring to a boil.

Add celery stalks, scraped carrots, whole, peeled onions, and some parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.  Return to a boil.

Lower heat and simmer 1-1/2 hours, with the lid of the pot tipped.

After 1-1/2 hours, add whole peeled potatoes and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Prepare dumplings and spoon them into the stew, covering tightly and simmering for an additional 10-12 minuties.

Just loaded our crock pot with stew for tonight :)

2 lbs stew meat, about 3-4 potatoes cubed, 4 celery stalks chopped, 1 lg. onion chopped, 3 carrots chopped (or a couple of handfuls of baby carrots), 1 T sugar, 2 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, and one large can tomato juice (or V8, but I've never tried that).  That's it.  Load into crockpot, stir to mix, & let cook on low for 8-10 hours.  So good!!!!  

This is honest-to-goodness the most delicious one there is:

St. Ansgar's Stew

1 can cr. of mushroom soup

1 pkg. dry onion soup mix

1 soupcan full of burgundy wine (or any red wine, even red cooking wine)

1/2 t. each of thyme, dill weed, and marjoram

salt and pepper to taste (I usually don't add any)

1-2 pounds stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces

Other misc. stew ingredients (I use carrots, onions, and potatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces)

Directions:  Mix all ingredients together and place in a covered casserole.  Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours. 

I get rave reviews on my beef stew.  What I do is very simple --

Cut beef stew meat into smaller pieces than the chunks it typically comes in

Brown the meat and a generous amount of chopped onions (don't be skimpy on the oil)

Meanwhile cut potatoes and carrots into smallish pieces and throw in the crock pot

Add browned beef and onions on top of the potatoes and carrots

Add one can of drained no-salt-added green beans, reserving the liquid

Sprinkle a packet of McCormick's beef stew seasoning mix over the top (I prefer the regular seasoning packet, not the one for slow cookers)

Add the recommended amount of water, except use the green bean liquid in lieu of part of the water

Pour the liquid around so that all the seasoning mix gets wet

Cook on low for however long it takes.  Stir well 20 or 30 minutes before you're ready to eat.

You've gotten a number of good recipes. I don't actually use a recipe but if I did it would look something like this (I'm going from memory here). Sorry there are few measurements. Mostly it's just whatever amount seems right at the time. That's how I cook. ;)

-Brown meat in a bit of oil. Add onions and cook until soft. Drain. 

-Add about a quart of water for every pound of meat and 3 tsp. of beef bouillon granules for each quart OR use beef broth instead of water and bouillon (still one quart per pound of meat).

-Add desired seasonings. I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and marjoram.

-Add cut potatoes and carrots. (Sometimes I add peas or green beans but not always). Cook until vegetables are tender. Add more water during cooking if needed (about 1/4c or less at a time). This should take about 30 minutes.

-Mix 1 tbs. cornstarch in 1/2 c cold water. Make sure stew is boiling, then add cornstarch mixture. Mix thoroughly and simmer until desired consistency.

The above is for a "brown" stew, which my family prefers. If you like a tomato-y stew, add a can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes when adding the vegetables. Since you don't normally make stew, and your dh requested it, I'd recommend asking him if he wants it brown or red.