Menu

if you like to lick gun shell casings

hornblower

Have I got a tea for you!

my darling dear dh brought home a gift of Murchie's teas, including some of my old favourites, but he also got seduced into buying a small box of a new tea blend they have.

It's called Baker Street & ew, ew, ew, ew.  Dd & I made a pot yesterday & :ack2:

But if you're a tea drinker who has been pining for the smell of gunpowder (actually smells like musty peat, muddy boot and old museum) in your tea, you'll rejoice.

http://www.murchies.com/store/tea/green-black-blends/baker-street-blend.html

I blame the whole foodie thing. You run out of good flavour combinations & now everyone is doing 'original & unique' pairings. 

(though pink himalayan salt on dark chocolate was one of the best ideas ever....)

If anyone watched Vicar of Dibley all this reminds me of Mrs. Cropley and her cooking creations  (like ham & lemon curd sandwiches)

I blame the whole foodie thing. You run out of good flavour combinations & now everyone is doing 'original & unique' pairings. 

<snip>

If anyone watched Vicar of Dibley all this reminds me of Mrs. Cropley and her cooking creations  (like ham & lemon curd sandwiches)

Or in the A-Team movie, the crazy pilot guy putting gunpowder on the steaks. :lol:  (And, ds said he had antifreeze in his special sauce.)

So, I guess Murchies is really just copying the A-Team. ;)

All kidding aside, it's the Lapsang Souchong that is throwing me. It's very strong & smoky in this tea.

The Murchie's No 10 blend has Gundpowder tea in it & it's very nice. My alltime favourite is No 22 which is a blend of Gunpowder & Jasmine.

So I have been misleading you all along. It's not the gunpowder that's the prob - it's the darned Lapsang Souchong.

I guess I've never tried gunpowder as a food ingredient. (Nor have I ever really considered, wanted, or craved it.)

I'm a bad cook who regularly uses the smoke alarm as a timer, so gunpowder in the food I'm making might not be a good idea. :huh: :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Now I see the posts mentioning that it's not the real gunpowder, just the name of another type of tea. Oh well, so much for our fun! And for those who have tried Gunpowder Tea, is the 'smoky' flavor similar to the fake smoke used in BBQ sauces?

(Still... :ack2: )

ETA: Now I see the posts mentioning that it's not the real gunpowder, just the name of another type of tea. Oh well, so much for our fun! And for those who have tried Gunpowder Tea, is the 'smoky' flavor similar to the fake smoke used in BBQ sauces?

(Still... :ack2: )

Gunpowder tea is actually very nice & quite mild in the blends I've had.

It's Lapsang Souchong which tastes, according to my imagination,  like licking the inside of a musket.

Gunpowder tea is actually very nice & quite mild in the blends I've had.

It's Lapsang Souchong which tastes, according to my imagination,  like licking the inside of a musket.

:seeya:  Lapsang Souchong lover here. Have you tried Choice Tea's Russian Caravan? Their evocative description...

"Explore the exotic with this distinctively smoky tea — a taste coveted by a 19th century Russian czar. His camel caravans traveled perilous routes from China, where nightly campfires added to the tea's heady aroma. Our black tea blend marries rich Yunnan with smoked Lapsang Souchong to recreate this rousing delicacy."

It's sooo good. But if you don't like LS you're not likely to appreciate what you're missing out on here :tongue_smilie: I like both Murchies #10 and #22 blends. Library Blend sounds good though I've not tasted that one.

I like gunpowder tea I just hate Rooibos.

Not all Rooibos teas are created equally. Have you tried this one by Numi Tea. It has serious body and makes the others pale in comparison. I'm always surprised when I drink other versions of Rooibos by how robust Numi's is.

It's sooo good. But if you don't like LS you're not likely to appreciate what you're missing out on here :tongue_smilie: I like both Murchies #10 and #22 blends. Library Blend sounds good though I've not tasted that one.

LOL. Russian Caravan sounds like something I need to avoid :tongue_smilie:

I have Library Blend here - I like it. CBC Radio & Empress Afternoon are nice too.

The tea that's in my pot the most hwvr is Suraj. Love this. Nice black with just a hint of Assam. It's the perfect tea for me.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SURAJ-ORANGE-PEKOE-TEA-120-BAGS-400g-PER-BOX-/290284935559

Russian Caravan, to me, tastes like drinking slightly off liquid bacon.

Can't say that I've ever had slightly off liquid bacon though I do appreciate the detail of your description :lol:

LOL. Russian Caravan sounds like something I need to avoid :tongue_smilie:

I have Library Blend here - I like it. CBC Radio & Empress Afternoon are nice too.

The tea that's in my pot the most hwvr is Suraj. Love this. Nice black with just a hint of Assam. It's the perfect tea for me.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SURAJ-ORANGE-PEKOE-TEA-120-BAGS-400g-PER-BOX-/290284935559

That sounds good! Assam was my grandmother's favorite tea as they drank it a lot in India so it has a special place in my heart.

I wonder if I'm in the minority with my LS love. Hard to believe y'all don't like it :confused1:

:seeya: Lapsang Souchong lover here. Have you tried Choice Tea's Russian Caravan? Their evocative description...

"Explore the exotic with this distinctively smoky tea — a taste coveted by a 19th century Russian czar. His camel caravans traveled perilous routes from China, where nightly campfires added to the tea's heady aroma. Our black tea blend marries rich Yunnan with smoked Lapsang Souchong to recreate this rousing delicacy."

Um...nightly campfires on a camel caravan route are most likely to be burning something other than wood. I don't think I'd be keen on trying a tea that tastes or smells like burnt camel dung.