Menu

Who wants to talk October baseball?

BarbecueMom

My 10 yo has adopted the Royals this year because he and my husband had a really good time at a game there this summer (we live in Atlanta--it is a good year to follow someone else), and his assigned essay topic today was, "Why Should We Root for the Royals." He did a great job on it. Also, in a desperate bid for his Mom of the Year vote, I let him watch the replay of the last four innings of the Royals' wildcard win--during school hours. Think I am a lock!

Sea-HAWKS!!!!

Oh.  You said baseball.  Good ol', Mariners; at least we know what to expect.  Ahem.   

Baseball is so ding dang boring, but as a fanatic of just about every sport, of course I follow ~ especially in October.  Having grown up during the George Brett era, I've gotta go with the Royals.  Would have liked to see Pittsburgh in there, too.

Boring?! Clearly you didn't see the 2011 World Series Game 6. I think I sweat (sweated?) through two shirts and was shaking and pulling my hair out by the end.

But baseball is beautiful. You can be down to your last strike of the last out of the last inning of the last game of the series, down by any number of runs... and there is still hope.

Boring?! Clearly you didn't see the 2011 a World Series Game 6. I think I sweat (sweated?) through two shirts and was shaking and pulling my hair out by the end.

But baseball is beautiful. You can be down to your last strike of the last out of the last inning of the last game of the series, down by any number of runs... and there is still hope.

I used to hate baseball as well.  And then my son started playing, and now, shhhh--don't tell anybody, but I'm kind of into it.  My favorites are the little, fast guys who steal bases.  

I need some Natty Boh to drink while cheering on my O's. And maybe some blue crab with Old Bay.

My dear friend was in a horrible car accident on his way to an Orioles game about two months ago. He was so badly injured that his partner had to bring a picture of him for the surgeons to piece his head back together. He is now healing, and finally married his long time partner, after his partner was denied access in the hospital for not being family. I really want the Orioles to win for Kevin.

As for me, it's an excuse to eat crabs and drink beer.

Boring?! Clearly you didn't see the 2011 World Series Game 6. I think I sweat (sweated?) through two shirts and was shaking and pulling my hair out by the end.

Totally agree that it has the potentially to be nail-biting.  Heck, that game the other night between the Royals and the A's was incredible!  And even the non-faithful Mariners fans (yes, there are such creatures as M's fans!) were on the edge of their seats last Saturday.  Oy, the pain!  

I used to hate baseball as well. 

Oh, I don't hate baseball.  As I said, I'm a sports fanatic.  But let's face it, following 160 games over a long season can at times be akin to watching paint dry.  I do love the tradition behind baseball, though.  One of the highlights of my life as a sports fan was going on the field at Fenway on Mother's Day some ten-ish years ago.  Took my older guys to Boston & the Sox were playing the Mariners.  Absolutely FREEZING evening, btw, but worth it (to me, anyway!) to see the World Series trophy up close and personal.  

I remember that WS game. :crying: Let's hope where ever Nellie Cruz's team ends up, he can make the dang play when he needs to. :cursing:

My team was out of contention before the All Star break...but I love cheering for teams during the playoffs. Currently loving the Royals and the O's.

I love baseball...I watch in person, via TV, and listen on the radio. I love the tradition, the stats, and the atmosphere. Most of all I love how it's a team sport with such sharp individual characteristics. I REALLY hate that the Rangers are not playing October ball. Sigh...

I couldn't watch the last inning. Rosenthal makes me too nervous these days. Go Cards!!

(FTR, Matt Carpenter, why can't you hit like that during the regular season? I don't get fantasy baseball points for walks or on-base percentage.)

You couldn't watch???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  That was the best part of the whole game, woman!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

I need some Natty Boh to drink while cheering on my O's. And maybe some blue crab with Old Bay.

My dear friend was in a horrible car accident on his way to an Orioles game about two months ago. He was so badly injured that his partner had to bring a picture of him for the surgeons to piece his head back together. He is now healing, and finally married his long time partner, after his partner was denied access in the hospital for not being family. I really want the Orioles to win for Kevin.

As for me, it's an excuse to eat crabs and drink beer

OOHH say can you see....

Go Orioles!  You can hear the cheers in my house from outside, I am sure.  Sorry Faith, but we smoked the Tigers the last 2 games...and hope to do it in three games tomorrow.  After that...dh is already checking out Series tickets online.  I may get him some for an early Christmas present.  In fact, our anniversary is coming up!

You couldn't watch???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  That was the best part of the whole game, woman!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

I couldn't watch any of the game because OUR POWER WAS OUT!!!

Seriously, the truck driver who hit the utility pole right outside our subdivision must be a Cubs fan to do that to us (he's OK, btw...I'm not heartless).

We listened on DH's phone. There was a lot of pacing and cheering in the dark! :)

Can't wait for tonight's game!

Seriously, the truck driver who hit the utility pole right outside our subdivision must be a Cubs fan to do that to us (he's OK, btw...I'm not heartless).

We listened on DH's phone. There was a lot of pacing and cheering in the dark! :)

Oh, no!  That's a bummer--for you AND for the driver!  Glad he's o.k. and that you're set for tonight's game!  

Is there any way to watch it if you don't have MLB Network? The MLB Premium thing on the PlayStation is $25 and says no live games anyway.

At least the boys will go to bed willingly. They have the radio in their room.

Is there any way to watch it if you don't have MLB Network? The MLB Premium thing on the PlayStation is $25 and says no live games anyway.

At least the boys will go to bed willingly. They have the radio in their room.

We have the MLB subscription. I don't mind listening to the radio broadcast, and in some ways I prefer it, but both of our phones were running low on charge, and you know, we had to be responsible or whatever, and make sure we had some way to call, just in case, since the power being out took out our land line. ;)

So for $25 you can watch the games on streaming without cable? I didn't know that...

I was a bit confused. On one part it said catch all the games... and on another part it said no live games in the U.S. and Canada. I had a 1yo jumping all over me and eating remotes at the time, so I'll have to look at it again. I could have sworn a year or two ago the postseason package was only $10, but it's $24.99 now.

I was a bit confused. On one part it said catch all the games... and on another part it said no live games in the U.S. and Canada. I had a 1yo jumping all over me and eating remotes at the time, so I'll have to look at it again. I could have sworn a year or two ago the postseason package was only $10, but it's $24.99 now.

Well, if the Nats lose this bloody game it probably won't turn out to be worth it, but I'd love to know if this is a thing... We are cord cutters and 99% of the time we're fine with it. We're not that into sports and don't mind just catching a few games here and there, attending a few in person, and otherwise following the scores. But this postseason thing is annoying. I want to watch!

18 innings... Impressive. 

6 hours, 23 minutes.  Yikes.  Between that and this endless, seesaw battle between WSU and Cal, I'm exhausted.  Currently down 60-59, the Cougs are once again doing everything in their power to snatch defeat out of the hands of victory.  Oy. :-/

ETA:  Sorry for the rabbit trail have to come back to say that the Cougs just lost the game, 60-59 ~ at home, no less.  Last second missed field goal of only 19 yards.  (My high schooler is a kicker & believe me, I have a heart for the role, but seriously...how the heck do you miss a 19 yard field goal???!!!)  I swear, being a Cougs fan is akin to sticking pins & needles in your eyes.  Ugh!

I seriously cannot handle these late games anymore. I went to bed before the Cards game was over. Happy for the win, but oh my goodness that was the worst plate umpiring I have seen all season. That strike zone was all over the map.

And it's not just the late games. It's Rosenthal giving Cardinal Nation a collective heart attack every single time he pitches...I swear, by the time my heart rate returns to normal after the game, it's so late, I'm not sure it's worth it even bothering to sleep!

And it's not just the late games. It's Rosenthal giving Cardinal Nation a collective heart attack every single time he pitches...I swear, by the time my heart rate returns to normal after the game, it's so late, I'm not sure it's worth it even bothering to sleep!

Oh my goodness yes. It's like he's putting guys on base on purpose just to make it more exciting. "Hey, if Carpenter hits better with a full count, maybe I can pitch better if I load the bases..." Uh, no.

I chased kids running in opposite direction while carrying a 25lb. baby at the Magic House yesterday. My nerves were already shot and I was exhausted. I was so not up for the late inning tension. DH texted me after Wong's HR, but I was already passed out.

My beloved NATS are still in it. Thank goodness :-)!!! We need to get through tonight in San Francisco and bring it back home to win the series. Bryce Harper had an awesome game yesterday! They lost when we watched the 1st two games and won we didn't watch last night. We are not watching again until this series is over -- LOL.

I wasn't so much going for the Cards as against the Dodgers... so way to go, Cards!

I am not so much going for the Giants as against the Nats (sorry girls, but I can't stand Harper)... so let's go Giants!

I was going for the Angels, but the let me down big time.

What can I say?  I'm a Rockies fan and the Rockies stink worse than a dirty pair of socks worn by an athlete every day for a month.