Menu

Let's play a little game - Help me put together a menu :)

k2bdeutmeyer

Be careful and REALLY read your WIC rules before posting anything. Way back when I was on WIC, the WIC food was ONLY for the children and select items for me as a nursing mom- the rules were written so strictly that technically, ONLY the children could drink the WIC-bought juice, not DH. :glare: No swapping, sharing, or giving away was permitted.

*I* personally think it's far better to swap a gallon of whole milk with a friend who has a galon of skim milk, but be careful so you don't lose your benefits over it.

Unless they've changed the rules to make more sense.

Pretty sure those are still the rules. Good point!

I was just thinking more about my 7yr old and breakfast.  Her top choices would be things she can't have (muffins, pancakes, cereal, etc.....), fruit, and yogurt.

Did I see some gluten-free mixes in your list of available supplies?  Would she be able to have anything made from those for breakfast?

I don't mind chili....DH makes an AWESOME chili (the only chili I've ever found that we all like), but we just had it last week and it would require quite a few ingredients that we don't have.

Chili doesn't have to be a standard recipe.  It's basically beans with veggies and perhaps some kind of sauce, usually tomato-based.  It's easy to saute some veg, add your beans, and, if you like, serve over rice or pasta.  If you get far enough away from "standard" chili, it won't be chili anymore, but it can still be a good, cheap, filling meal.    For example, you could do onion, garlic, red peppers, zucchini, tomatoes (fresh or canned), and small white beans.  Season with basil, or an Italian herb mix, or just salt and pepper.  Top it with feta or parmesan or mozzerella or just have it plain.  

Part of the "eat down the pantry" or "stretch the pantry" exercises is learning how to use basic cooking techniques or formulas with what you have on hand, rather than relying on standard recipes.  If you can get the hang of a few basic formulas ("chili", "chicken pot pie filling", "pizza", "rice bowl", etc.), then you can invent variations on the fly.  Not only is this economical, because you can use what you have on hand, make meals around seasonal veggies or sales, etc., but it gives you a varied diet so you don't get stuck eating the same thing over and over. 

Interesting thought on the swapping.  I don't really have many friends, but I could put something on FB and maybe somebody could use it.  My 7yr old (my celiac) could really stand to gain some weight - any ideas on anything I could add to it that might make her more willing to drink it??  She's also my one that prefers skim :/

Anybody ever tried adding chocolate to the whole milk and had success getting a child to drink it? I wonder if my 7tr old might drink it that way?

There are many, many things you can make with milk.  Custard is yummy over fruit desserts.  Puddings are nice. Go easy on the sugar for both and you'll have a healthy dessert.  Oatmeal can be made with milk instead of water.  Use store-brand regular oats for your non-GF kids; they are super-cheap.  You can add diced apples and a little cinnamon - yum!  Macaroni cheese is another item that uses milk.  If you can do a basic white sauce, you can use it on all kinds of things - over meat or fish, or as the sauce for a pot pie or cottage pie.  Sausage gravy is another great choice. Personally, I wouldn't add chocolate; the goal is nutrition, and sugaring-up foods may get kids to eat them in the short term but undermines the long-term goals. Milky desserts generally are more substantial and can be made with a minimum of sugar.

I think I need lessons on the whole creating stock from a carcass thing, lol.  I tried it one other time and not only did the smell of the stock in the crockpot make me sick, it tasted like nothing :/  I haven't tried since.

It should smell delicious, but as pp's said you can put it somewhere out of the way.  Use all the bones from the chicken, in a 5-6 qt crock pot.  (I use the drumsticks, etc., as well as the rest of the carcass.  I include all of the bits of meat and and skin and fat and such left on the bones and in the pan.)  Since you've got a low food budget, it will help if you save the trimmings from your veg.  I have a bag in the freezer for the outer layer of onions , the tops of onions, leeks, and garlic, the bottoms of celery, onions, and turnips, the stems of swiss chard and herbs, etc.  Nothing dirty, nothing slimy, nothing moldy.  You'd be surprised at how quickly the bag fills with these little scraps.  Dump some of the veg into the crock pot (straight from the freezer), or use an onion, a stalk of celery, and a carrot, roughly diced.  Fill the crockpot with water.  Cook for 24-48 hours.  I find that 48 hours gives a much more flavorful broth than 24 hours.  The color should be a dark golden brown.  Ladle out the broth, and pour through a strainer into 1-2 cup containers; I re-use various plastic ones from hummus, etc.  Label with sharpie and freeze.  

Yours might have tasted icky if you were tasting the top layer; this is the fat.  If you cool the broth the fat will harden and you can remove it if you like.  It might also have been bland if you didn't cook it long enough.  It needs to cook at least overnight; longer is better.  You shouldn't need a lot of seasonings.  I usually don't add any unless I have some herb stalks in there.

I wish GF oats weren't so expensive. :/

Make sure you aren't giving your non-GF kids the special GF foods.  Try to include lots of naturally GF items - brown rice is a good choice as it is both GF and filling.

Anybody ever tried adding chocolate to the whole milk and had success getting a child to drink it? I wonder if my 7tr old might drink it that way?

I add some cocoa powder and a squirt of honey (or some kind of sugar if you don't have honey) to heated milk and it makes a nice rich hot chocolate that everyone loves. A nice drink in the morning or before bed.

At all or at home?

If he's devouring triple portions of dinner I expect it is because he is undernourished the rest of the day. He needs to eat more often and accept beans and soups.

He will eat lunch on the weekends and occasionally breakfast, but not at all on the weekdays. It doesn't seem to matter how often he eats, he still eats the same massive amounts, just more often.

The unnecessary details: He has a C5 spinal cord injury that originally left him a quadriplegic, but he now walks with a cane and has some residual partial paralysis. Normal movements (walking, etc) require about triple the effort you or I require to do the same. I suspect this is the cause of his high calorie needs. He feels that when he eats during the day, it gets his metabolism moving and actually makes him more hungry.

He is also open to beans and that sort of thing, but feels in his experience that it doesn't fill him for as long as meat does. I suggested that this might be all in his head and he was/is willing to try again.

For the record, the man is 6'4" and 165lbs :)

He will eat lunch on the weekends and occasionally breakfast, but not at all on the weekdays. It doesn't seem to matter how often he eats, he still eats the same massive amounts, just more often.

The unnecessary details: He has a C5 spinal cord injury that originally left him a quadriplegic, but he now walks with a cane and has some residual partial paralysis. Normal movements (walking, etc) require about triple the effort you or I require to do the same. I suspect this is the cause of his high calorie needs. He feels that when he eats during the day, it gets his metabolism moving and actually makes him more hungry.

He is also open to beans and that sort of thing, but feels in his experience that it doesn't fill him for as long as meat does. I suggested that this might be all in his head and he was/is willing to try again.

For the record, the man is 6'4" and 165lbs :)

The beans will last longer if you use them with adequate fat and starch (For instance a burrito with beans, rice and cheese), bread with butter with soup.

Frankly - this is a crisis, so I'm glad he is willing.  Much as he might like massive amounts of protein, I'm sure that you both want to make good balanced food for the whole family a priority.

My husband prefers to eat large amounts of meat; over the three years that he was unemployed, we ate minimal meat because it was too expensive - he understood the need to subordinate his desires to the family good.

L

Frankly - this is a crisis, so I'm glad he is willing.  Much as he might like massive amounts of protein, I'm sure that you both want to make good balanced food for the whole family a priority.

My husband prefers to eat large amounts of meat; over the three years that he was unemployed, we ate minimal meat because it was too expensive - he understood the need to subordinate his desires to the family good.

L

I agree. Worldwide, meat is a luxury. We limit it for health and financial reasons.

It looks like there is enough meat for dinners for a week there, if they can get 2 dinners from each chicken. That's 4 chicken based meals (stretch with starches like rice and lentils), 1 night from the hamburger meat and then use 1 meatless night and 1 night with the tinned beef. So I wouldn't buy any more meat if working with just $50.

I'd probably head to Cash and Carry for some cheese to make enchiladas and omelets with. And the rest to whatever cheap fruits and veggies you can get your hands on and enough starches to fill in the gaps on WIC and what you have.

23rd: Roast chicken (set aside 1/3 of the meat for tomorrow) and red potatoes with garlic any veggies

24th: chicken enchiladas with rice, black beans

25th: some sort of chili or soup using the hamburger and stretching it with lentils.

26th: roast that second chicken, again setting aside 1/3 or so of the meat) Serve with pork and beans, cornbread and a frozen veggie

27th: make fried rice with the leftover chicken and veggies you buy.

28th: make omelets or baked eggs with the breakfast sausage

29th: Meatless Monday! Serve a nice veggie soup with cheese toast. Your husband can eat brats if he likes since no one else will.

30th: nachos with the jarred beef and beans.

Breakfasts: cereal, pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt (made from milk)

Lunches: ramen, soups made from the chicken bones, those frozen potpies cut in half, rice and beans, fruits and veggies from your $18 WIC check and $$. Sandwiches (PBJ or cheese) for those who don't have celiacs.

Drink water, watered down juice and ice tea.

One dozen eggs is going to disappear pretty quickly with your family size. I wouldn't use them to make your bread into bread pudding or french toast or the like. They use quite a few eggs and you wont have enough left over to make your mixes.

I'd definitely use a few to make GF rice pudding for breakfast (we eat it cold). I think that will get all or most of your kids to consume some of the whole milk.

Try making a dressing out of the bread and use some of your seasonings for that with some crumbled corn muffins for dressing for the GF child. Cook your chicken in the crockpot to go with your dressing, but only put out as much of it as you want to be consumed for that meal. Then throw the bones and skin back in with more water for broth. 

You can do this! 

Frankly - this is a crisis...make good balanced food for the whole family a priority.

Since you may be in this boat for some time, here are some things to consider, with the goal of making it easier moving forward.  Please take what you like and leave the rest.

--Learn to use your WIC foods effectively. A gallon of milk has 128g of protein. If you can work this into meals in the form of sauces, baked goods, oatmeal, rice pudding, soups, etc., it can go a long way towards meeting your family's nutritional needs. Dried beans are another good food. They can be eaten alone, or made into dips, hidden in sauces, incorporated into casseroles, mixed with meat to stretch it, or used in salads. They are full of protein and fiber, and are very filling. See if there are WIC GF options for your grains - corn tortillas may be an option. They are easy to fill with eggs and veg, beans and veg, or mixtures where meat is used as an accent rather than the focus, thus making them a versatile option for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I find that tortillas in general are more versatile than bread.

--Use up the white bread, and don't get more (unless there is no other WIC choice). Your GF kids can't eat it anyway. Whole wheat bread is more filling.

--Use up the "cream of" soups, and don't buy more. Learn to make them yourself; they will be healthier, more filling, and they will use your WIC milk. Making soup, and more specifically learning to improvise soup, is an important skill in feeding a family on a budget.  Soup is a great way to use up bits and pieces of meat and veggies.  Homemade broth, using veggie parings, is free and a great beginning for all kinds of soups and sauces.

--Rather than buying individual pot pies, consider making your own. They are easy, and freeze well. You can make them with lots of yummy veg. Shepard's/cottage pie is a similar dish; it also freezes well and if you use gf flour for the roux (for the gravy), the pie will be GF.  They are a great way to use meat as an accent rather than the main focus of a meal.  In general, because you are feeding a large family, individual anything probably isn't the best way to go.  Planned leftovers can be used when you need a single serving.

--Use up the non-GF pancake mix, and muffin mix, and do not buy more. If you get the ingredients to make your own from scratch, you have a more versatile pantry. For example, if instead of the muffin mix you have flour, eggs, and baking powder, you can make muffins, or pancakes, or biscuits (to top a pot pie or serve under sausage gravy), or pie crust, or even cake or cookies.

--In general, try to move towards cooking from scratch, and using ingredients that will fill and nourish. The latter may be a bit more expensive up-front, but they keep bellies full for longer.

You could make bread pudding with the frozen bread, the whole milk and some eggs and sugar.

Gluten free baking keeps well in the freezer. I would bake the GF cornbread and cookies to have on hand in the freezer for the GF kids when you make non GF snacks for the others.

You can also make savory bread puddings for a meal by throwing any combo of leftover meat and veggies in there.  Leave out the sugar.  Although that wouldn't feed the gf kiddos.

Ok, here is my attempt at a 7 meal plan:

meal 1: Cornbread beef casserole - Split the recipe in two; top one pan with the regular and one with the GF cornbread mix. Use the jarred beef and beans as needed. If BBQ sauce is a problem, you could probably sub ketchup or leave it out. 

meal 2: Pineapple crockpot chicken - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/take-the-night-off-slow-cooker-pineapple-chicken/  (if you have the seasonings) or http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=805459 (needs sweet potatoes). I would follow the recipe with the whole chicken and just make sure it's cooked long enough

meal 3: Roast chicken and red potatoes

meal 4: Make an enchilada casserole. I don't have a recommended recipe, but corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, beans, and any leftover chicken are good possible ingredients.

meal 5: tacos - Use ground beef stretched with beans, rice, and/or veggies (we love zucchini). Serve over tortilla chips.

meal 6: veggie soup - Use beef broth, tomato juice (WIC), variety of veggies, rice or potatoes. Possibly serve with Cran-Orange muffins and GF pancakes

meal 7: Sausage Applesauce Appetizers and pancakes

For your DH, supplement his dinners as needed with the brats and pot pies.

ETA: Make lots of 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies.

You guys are awesome!! For real.

I know it's not necessary, but I can't help but explain the convenience foods :) Most of them were purchased by DH a few months ago when I was in the worst of the morning sickness phase. He was trying to make it easier on me and for the kids to make food for themselves when I couldn't even get off the couch.

I agree. Worldwide, meat is a luxury. We limit it for health and financial reasons.

We don't eat meat (or dairy) for ethical, environmental, and health reasons.

I just wanted to say this thread keeps making me laugh because it cuts off at "help me put together a men" and I keep thinking that needs to be corrected to "man". Sure, I can help you put together a man....

When I cook a chicken carcass in the slow cooker I also add a dash of vinegar.  This helps to bring out some of the calcium from the bones.  I also have hubby break some of the bones for me to do the same sort of thing.  I've found it increases the flavor and you have to cook that baby low and slow for a long time!

When I cook a chicken carcass in the slow cooker I also add a dash of vinegar. This helps to bring out some of the calcium from the bones. I also have hubby break some of the bones for me to do the same sort of thing. I've found it increases the flavor and you have to cook that baby low and slow for a long time!

We used 1/2 of one of the chickens tonight. DH is going to pull the remaining meat off for another meal & I'm going to give chicken stock another go :)

At all or at home?

If he's devouring triple portions of dinner I expect it is because he is undernourished the rest of the day. He needs to eat more often and accept beans and soups.

Agreed.  And quite frankly... when finances are as tight as the OP often presents, then no one gets triple portions at meals.  We've been there, done that and the thought of my dh demanding triple the food at a meal would infuriate me and make me extremely disappointed in him.  That's just my own perspective, but when we hadn't two nickels to rub together, we were both on board together with ensuring that the child is cared for first and foremost and we delayed our needs, including any seconds at meals. 

FWIW, beans and soups can be incredibly filling and it is easy to make GF soups.  If you want to stretch it more, use rice or potatoes as the starch filler rather than pasta, or if you really want the pasta in a soup, you can stretch a handful of pricey GF pasta in a soup far better than as a pasta dish.   Milk makes a great protein filler by blending veggies with milk and turning a regular soup into a cream style soup.  Carrots, tomatoes, parsnips, potatoes and squashes like butternut, acorn and pumpkin lend themselves beautifully to becoming a cream soup.

It looks like there is enough meat for dinners for a week there, if they can get 2 dinners from each chicken. That's 4 chicken based meals (stretch with starches like rice and lentils), 1 night from the hamburger meat and then use 1 meatless night and 1 night with the tinned beef. So I wouldn't buy any more meat if working with just $50.

I'd probably head to Cash and Carry for some cheese to make enchiladas and omelets with. And the rest to whatever cheap fruits and veggies you can get your hands on and enough starches to fill in the gaps on WIC and what you have.

23rd: Roast chicken (set aside 1/3 of the meat for tomorrow) and red potatoes with garlic any veggies

25th: some sort of chili or soup using the hamburger and stretching it with lentils.

26th: roast that second chicken, again setting aside 1/3 or so of the meat) Serve with pork and beans, cornbread and a frozen veggie

29th: Meatless Monday! Serve a nice veggie soup with cheese toast. Your husband can eat brats if he likes since no one else will.

Breakfasts: cereal, pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt (made from milk)

Lunches: ramen, soups made from the chicken bones, those frozen potpies cut in half, rice and beans, fruits and veggies from your $18 WIC check and $$. Sandwiches (PBJ or cheese) for those who don't have celiacs.

That's an excellent list.  I'd like to offer that the hamburger could be 2 meals if one half goes in a casserole (I suggest potatoes done au gratin with the hamburger in it) and the other half into a soup (suggesting a hamburger and mixed veggies with rice soup -- I'd even try making the other half into tiny meatballs and thickening up the soup with puréed potato to make it even heartier).

Agreed. And quite frankly... when finances are as tight as the OP often presents, then no one gets triple portions at meals. We've been there, done that and the thought of my dh demanding triple the food at a meal would infuriate me and make me extremely disappointed in him. That's just my own perspective, but when we hadn't two nickels to rub together, we were both on board together with ensuring that the child is cared for first and foremost and we delayed our needs, including any seconds at meals.

FWIW, beans and soups can be incredibly filling and it is easy to make GF soups. If you want to stretch it more, use rice or potatoes as the starch filler rather than pasta, or if you really want the pasta in a soup, you can stretch a handful of pricey GF pasta in a soup far better than as a pasta dish. Milk makes a great protein filler by blending veggies with milk and turning a regular soup into a cream style soup. Carrots, tomatoes, parsnips, potatoes and squashes like butternut, acorn and pumpkin lend themselves beautifully to becoming a cream soup.

I apologize if I made it sound like he was demanding and leaving others without. That is, in no way, the case. He would never let one of the kids, or me for that matter, go without or be hungry. I was simply just illustrating that his calorie needs are higher than the norm and if at all possible - within the restraints that we have, I'd like to accommodate that. He works hard, is making cuts where possible, working extra shifts, etc.....if I can make sure his belly is full at the end of the day, I'd like to.

You guys are awesome!! For real.

I know it's not necessary, but I can't help but explain the convenience foods :) Most of them were purchased by DH a few months ago when I was in the worst of the morning sickness phase. He was trying to make it easier on me and for the kids to make food for themselves when I couldn't even get off the couch.

Yes.  No need to explain that.  They are there, so certainly use them.  Just don't buy more.  I think you've got tons of ideas here.  You could almost write yourself a menu/cookbook out of this thread! :)

Agreed.  And quite frankly... when finances are as tight as the OP often presents, then no one gets triple portions at meals.  We've been there, done that and the thought of my dh demanding triple the food at a meal would infuriate me and make me extremely disappointed in him.  That's just my own perspective, but when we hadn't two nickels to rub together, we were both on board together with ensuring that the child is cared for first and foremost and we delayed our needs, including any seconds at meals. 

I guess you didn't read the part about her DH having a medical condition and being quite underweight, and skipping most of his meals and making it up for it with one big meal when he's able. That didn't sound like taking food out of his babies' mouths to me. I know this family and both parents are very committed to putting their children first. Judgmental comments keep good women from asking for help.

I apologize if I made it sound like he was demanding and leaving others without. That is, in no way, the case. He would never let one of the kids, or me for that matter, go without or be hungry. I was simply just illustrating that his calorie needs are higher than the norm and if at all possible - within the restraints that we have, I'd like to accommodate that. He works hard, is making cuts where possible, working extra shifts, etc.....if I can make sure his belly is full at the end of the day, I'd like to.

Oh I understand that.  I do.  I'm married to a farmer.  I've never seen a man work so physically hard as he does.  But still... when needs must... we must forego for the sake of the children always.  I know you want to feed him heartily if you can, but be judicious in deciding whether now is that time... or not.   It hurts when we can't offer that, but then... if you're in that boat together, he should be able to accept that and get on board with any cutbacks needed.  Hopefully it will be a short season in your lives. :)

I guess you didn't read the part about her DH having a medical condition and being quite underweight, and skipping most of his meals and making it up for it with one big meal when he's able. That didn't sound like taking food out of his babies' mouths to me. I know this family and both parents are very committed to putting their children first. Judgmental comments keep good women from asking for help.

Yes I did miss that before I posted, but I've replied to the OP.  Thank you Miss Board Manners for policing all the posts so nicely. :)

I'd add rice to every meal! make at least 3 cups of dry rice per day, and boil a potato for each day. If not for the kids (dunno of Glutten in rice) you guys can have more rice.

Lentils, cook with sausage links or hot dogs, add your favorite spices, slat, cumin, pepper. add half the onion, serve over rice and potatoes.

At the end of the days, you can have leftovers soup

Mix the whole milk and the 1% to try and help your 7 yr old gain weight.  Start with 1/4 whole..to 3/4 1%…and increase.  Give the other kids the whole milk.

Make a big pot of brats and beans or lentils for DH.  You can augment it with the frozen pot pies for his dinners.  Can also use the brats in a nice bean or lentil soup.

Be sure to use up your WIC checks before they expire.  Get GF Chex for your cereal for the GF kids.   BTW, Chex has some nice GF recipes on their site.http://www.chex.com/recipes/gluten-free  You can turn the Chex into Chex Mix for your portable snack…or just give a baggie of cereal.  You can also make the naturally GF peanut butter cookies that somebody mentioned up thread as a snack. 

Oh check and see if your WIC checks allow for the new Chex GF oatmeal or GF Rice Krispies. Some states do. :)

Absolutely you can add chocolate to whole milk for kids.  ALso try making it into hot chocolate…or chocolate pudding (cornstarch, sugar, milk, cocoa powder, dash of salt, vanilla.)  

I would use some of my money to buy some GF and regular Pasta.  Then I'd plan on making a big pot of sauce and serving the GF pasta for the GF kids and regular pasta to everybody else with sauce.  

I usually boil a very little water, then add my chocolate. It seems to mix better! Then add all the milk I want. It tastes good.