Menu

Tried and True Oatmeal recipes

Mandylubug

We love Mrs. Mungos baked oatmeal. It is a huge success. It is the only oatmeal I will eat. Creamy oatmeal is like glue to me. Texture bothers me. My kids love the boxed oatmeals but the protein level is not great at only 2g...mine love the fruity and cream ones.

Can I recreate homemade oatmeal they will like? Needs to be sweet and creamy. Their preferred flavors are strawberry or peaches and cream. I'd love some way to make it a self sufficient recipe for them, too. They make their own instant oatmeal daily.

Equal parts water, milk, and old fashioned oats. Boil for 5 minutes or until desired consistency. Our favorite add ins are sliced strawberries and bananas or blueberries and honey. I often add extra milk after cooking to get a creamier texture.

I would assume peaches and cream would be fairly easy to achieve with just some peaches and sweetener of your choice.

Equal parts water, milk, and old fashioned oats. Boil for 5 minutes or until desired consistency. Our favorite add ins are sliced strawberries and bananas or blueberries and honey. I often add extra milk after cooking to get a creamier texture.

I would assume peaches and cream would be fairly easy to achieve with just some peaches and sweetener of your choice.

Ok. So milk and water added in or is that an either/or ingredient?..

They can make ramen noodles easily. Sounds like after being shown this method they could as well.

I don't have any tips for making oatmeal itself, but next time I go to the store I'm going to buy those peach slices and try them in my oatmeal. A few weeks ago I was cutting up the actual peaches and putting them in, but I'm going to be lazy and try this...

I agree. I will buy slices in light syrup. I'm not slicing peaches for them..I suppose I could buy frozen slices but I was thinking the light syrup would make a good sweetener for them. Hmmmm

This is not strawberry or peaches, but it's very good, and easy to make in advance. Kids can microwave individual servings. It keeps about four days in the fridge.

Crock Pot Oatmeal

With apples, raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon.

Using Rolled Oats:

2 cups dry rolled oats

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg*

1/2 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup raisins* and/or dates*, chopped

1/2 cup walnuts*, chopped

1-2 apples (Granny Smith is nice), peeled and diced

(Add more apple if you're not using any other add-ins, or if you want it to be more about the fruit)

1/2 cup shredded coconut*

4 cups milk OR

4 cups total of milk and cream OR

4 cups total of 1 can coconut milk + water

Using Steel Cut Oats

1 cup steel cut oats

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg*

1/2 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup raisins* and/or dates*, chopped

1/2 cup walnuts*, chopped

1-2 apples (Granny Smith is nice), peeled and diced

(Add more apple if you're not using any other add-ins, or if you want it to be more about the fruit)

1/2 cup shredded coconut*

3 cups milk OR

3 cups total of milk and cream OR

3 cups total of 1 can coconut milk + water

©      Use a 4-quart slow cooker. 

©      Spray the inside of the slow cooker with canola oil to minimize sticking.

©      In the cooker, combine all dry ingredients, and stir well.

©      Add liquids, stir.

©      Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.  Towards the end of the cooking time, remove the lid and stir to prevent burning.  Oatmeal will still be a bit liquidy when done; this liquid will be absorbed as it cools.

©      Let cool.  Spoon into container and store in refrigerator.

To serve, spoon into microwavable bowl, heat . 

The raisins, coconut, and walnuts are totally optional.  Add them if you have them on hand and like them; skip them otherwise.  Mix-in ingredients can be varied to include whatever you have on hand.  Consider also:

o       Different nuts.

o       Dried cranberries

Note - I have tried adding trail mix with dried tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, etc.), and it was not very good at all, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I've tried the crockpot method a couple of times and mine was never creamy. And ohhh, what a mess! Some people swear by it, but it didn't do it for us (especially the steel cut oats...chewy, chewy, chewy).

Hmmmm. All the recipes I tried were for overnight cooking. Maybe that was the problem. Perhaps I should try again.

I've tried the crockpot method a couple of times and mine was never creamy. And ohhh, what a mess! Some people swear by it, but it didn't do it for us (especially the steel cut oats...chewy, chewy, chewy).

Hmmmm. All the recipes I tried were for overnight cooking. Maybe that was the problem. Perhaps I should try again.

I had absolutely no luck with overnight cooking - it was a horrible burned mess. Now I do it in the crockpot during the afternoon so I can keep an eye on it. It reheats just fine in the microwave.

It makes a HUGE difference in clean-up if you spray the crock first with canola oil. Super-easy to clean. Not so easy to clean if you forget!

Making oatmeal with milk instead of water does make it creamier. And of course, the creamier the milk (whole vs. 2% vs. 1% vs skim), the creamier the oatmeal. A few times I have had leftover cream to use up and made oatmeal with a mixture of milk and the cream instead of just milk, and as you can imagine it was especially delicious.

Have you tried steel cut oats? They have a better texture, IMO. I use a mix of water and cream.

I have used old fashioned in the cylinders? If they are way more expensive I'd pass over them since I feed five million people, LOL

Eta: I also use them with your baked oatmeal recipe and they work perfectly :) I will price them at the store next time!

Cook it with milk/water combo.  Don't forget the salt.  Follow the instructions on the Quaker Oatmeal box.  Some people prefer the quick oats, other the old fashioned.  Using steel cut will not result in creamy, but more of a nutty/chewy oatmeal in my experience.  Oat groats take the chewiness to a whole different level, probably not what you're looking for.

Once it comes off the heat, add in some brown sugar.  (Note, one of my kids prefers white sugar over brown…so see what your kids like.)

Then add in fruit and whole milk on top.  Maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon if using peaches as they compliment each other.

You can cook a big pot of oatmeal….sweeten it with brown sugar, and then add a little milk and reheat in the microwave.  Add the fruit after.

I use above methods with whole milk & only have to add a splash to the water for creamy oatmeal. I have also found that brown sugar is the best sweetener. I cook mine on medium & stir frequently so it doesn't turn into a clump. I use frozen blueberries bc it cools down the hot oats. I tried other berries & my girls didn't like it. Never thought to use canned peaches-brilliant! We also like bananas in ours. I like coconut oil & handful of granola for crunch. I can't eat oatmeal without that granola-texture issue.

This works really well. The banana disappears as she says and doesn't leave a BANANA flavor. It's delicious with chunky peanut butter (especially the freshly ground honey roasted from Whole Foods) stirred in. It doesn't need additional sweetener with the banana IMO.

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal

I've never tried it with the chia seeds--that's a newer addition to the recipe.

mother always made ours with oatmeal over a spoonful or two of applesauce and cinnamon/sugar mix on top

My dd likes cinnamon/sugar and a touch of honey over old fashion oatmeal made with half water/half milk.  Sometimes she likes just a few chocolate chips

I make mine with one or all of these; dried cranberries, walnuts or pecans, chai seeds, a small abount of brown sugar and a sprinkle of plain cinnamon or banana slices with a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon sometimes I go for yougurt and granola.

I agree. I will buy slices in light syrup. I'm not slicing peaches for them..I suppose I could buy frozen slices but I was thinking the light syrup would make a good sweetener for them. Hmmmm

I think the canned ones would be better, too. Sometimes the frozen ones aren't very sweet, and you also have to remember to defrost them.

My dh wants more protein in oatmeal, too. I make him quick oats and add brown sugar, honey, and a big spoon of peanut butter. He's never been a big oatmeal fan before doing it this way.

I have never tried using peanut butter, but I'm going to try it tomorrow! :)