Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW 37

Robin M

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I think in pictures & 'talk' (online) in pictures, I feel kind like people who talk with their hands... but now their arms don't work.

I'm really not trying to complain; I just feel disoriented.

In other news, I finished Roberto Bolaño's The Ice Skating Rink a couple of days ago & liked it well enough.

Gave up on the Oscar Wilde vampire mystery book. It was ok, but I just wasn't in the mood for it & then I got sucked into the graphics wormhole anyway.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, BaWers. I'm surfacing for a breath.

I have spent the past two days going through all my posts using various search and advanced search methods. I'll do another sweep through today. Thankfully, and rather ironically, I wasn't too active a poster until falling in with all y'all :D

On the book front, zilch for now.

< insert image of a pretty plate of shortbread, lovely china cups of tea, a tray of dark, Belgian chocolate in a Downtonesque room replete with fireplace, overstuffed chintz chairs and couches and lovely persian rugs, somewhere nearby a hound lies sleeping, a cat is curled up on a cushion and group of women (that's us, ladies)  are happily chatting books, sipping tea and nibbling the comestibles >

{{{ Stacia, Negin }}}

Flufferton Abbey residents may be interested in Elizabeth Chater's books. Not spectacular but readable with nice characters and for $0.99 on Kindle (or bundles of 4 books do $2.99) pretty good. The two I've read hav older heroes who fall for debs and treat them as young, but the girls are educated and smart. I read A Season for the Heart and The Marriage Mart so far.

:lol: or :grouphug: whichever feels appropriate when you read this. Teen boys are the most forgetful people I have ever known in my life. Wouldn't life as a teenage girl been easier if we had known just how oblivious they really are? I can't believe the number of important things my ds can forget, even things that he really cares about. Dd really does live on a different planet, she only forgets if it's convenient. ;)

ETA I forgot to say looking forward to your review of the new JD Robb. Are you almost ready for it in your order with your rereads?

I haven't figured that out. I switch them to want to read and ignore them or want to read abandoned. I can't figure out what to do about a book that I abandoned that at one point was accidentally shown as read. Because of the date it is beingincluded in my 2014 challenge. Nothing makes it go away even thought it shows as want to read abandoned.

I'm halfway through the reread of the series and on Strangers in Death.  Had to stop to read the new book and will definitely read it again when get to that point in my reread.  You'd think I'd be sick of the series by now, but nope.  I'm finding her writing is helping my creativity. 

Since everyone seemed to know my avatar and siggy as 'yellow', I took a photo of one of my favorite scarves. Just pretend it's a sign with sharp edges.

Not sure about my siggy pic. I miss the little 'think for yourself' robot.

If you really love and miss your sign, give me the specifications for an avatar and I'll draw you a sign - either in microsoft publisher or in inspire pro.   Its so much fun.

Let's gather by the banks of the river for some tea and sandwiches, dip our toes in the water and breath. So proud of you guys. 

10659138_865186346825418_243125403917012

Dear Book Friends,

My inner middleschooler is hurt! Why would I have four stars on my profile page?  Was it my confession that I posted David Tennant in a red dress on the boards that reduced this rating?

Hanging head in shame..

Jane

WHAT??!

I just went into your profile.  I've never in my life given anyone stars (at least, on purpose) but meant to up your stars... but it's back up to 5 already.

Just coming to post, Jane! Why would anyone do that to you? My only guess would be accidental slip of the finger when phone posting or something. You're 5+ stars all the way!

:laugh: Indeed.

So sad to have finished A Town Like Alice.  I didn't want it to end! I wanted to hang out in the Outback with those characters. Hard to believe it was written by a man in the 1950s.

I enjoyed watching the PBS Masterpiece dramatization ages ago.  Thanks for the book recommendation!

I deleted much more than I needed to, but I'm an all or nothing kinda gal.

(((Hugs))) to all of you that have put in so much time deleting pics - those pics have been such a special way of communicating with my "imaginary" friends.  I will miss that.

Jane - you're already at 5 stars, but I 5-starred you, all the same. :001_wub:

Currently reading - I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley and God is Just Not Fair by Jennifer Rothschild. So far, this is my favorite Flavia book. One of these will be number #52 for the year! Woot woot!

Good morning my friends.

What a week!  After the high point of meeting Stacia in person, we had the board low of cleaning up old posts. I hope that those of you who were feeling stressed out about this are on the mend.

While I try not to be a complainy pants sort of person, I must confess that I am sooooo ready for a change in weather.  We are completely squishy here--flood watch issued again (a regular occurrence these days),  Between the high humidity and swarms of mosquitoes, being outside is so unpleasant (unless one is walking through an enchanting sculpture garden with Stacia--where they must have sprayed for mosquitoes!)

So, here is to more pleasant times ahead!

Peace and love,

Starry eyed Jane (thank you!)

Jane, I hope you get enough of a change in your weather to send your mosquitoes away. We still have some around ( ds has the bites to prove it) but the weather here is turning fallish. :( I am very much a Florida girl even though I keep getting moved away.....I crave sunshine. I don't mind the cold nearly as much if the sun is out.

Hopefully I will get a bit of reading done later today. We are going to a celebration at my real life board (not BaW just WtM)friend's. I feel so fortunate to have met so many lovely people through the WtM. I know I haven't met any of you in real life but hopefully will manage it someday. My kids keep saying I am setting the worst internet example, between taking them to visit people I meet on line and having to delete more than I ever imagined in this current situation (considering I can't figure out how to post pictures), they may be right!

Thank you for all the fun we have on this thread!

Yesterday I read Laura Florand's The Chocolate Temptation (Amour et Chocolat Book 6) which I enjoyed even if the author did tell the reader a time or two (or a time too many) about the insecurities of both main characters.

"Romantic Times acclaims Laura Florand's work as "sensuous and sumptuous", nominating her for Best Book of the Year, and NPR says it's "explosive, sensual . . . and utterly sweet". Now, in her sixth book in the internationally bestselling Amour et Chocolat series, Florand takes us into a top Paris restaurant’s pastry kitchen and into the hearts and irresistible temptations of its chefs in The Chocolate Temptation.

She hated him.

Patrick Chevalier. The charming, laid-back, golden second-in-command of the Paris pastry kitchen where Sarah worked as intern, who made everything she failed at seem so easy, and who could have every woman he winked at falling for him without even trying. She hated him, but she’d risked too much for this dream to give up on it and walk out just so he wouldn’t break her heart.

But he didn’t hate her.

Sarah Lin. Patrick’s serious, dark-haired American intern, who looked at him as if she could see right through him and wasn’t so impressed with what she saw. As her boss, he knew he should leave her alone. The same way he knew better than to risk his heart and gamble on love.

But he was never good at not going after what – or who – he wanted.

He could make magic out of sugar. But could he mold hate into love?"

Regards,

Kareni

Dear Book Friends,

My inner middleschooler is hurt! Why would I have four stars on my profile page?  Was it my confession that I posted David Tennant in a red dress on the boards that reduced this rating?

Hanging head in shame..

Jane

It is sad.  I don't know why people do that. :(

I'm iffy about Alas, Babylon. I hope it picks up.  I'm just feeling restless with books lately.

Stacia, Shukriyya and Negin - I blasted through your threads and all look good.  The pictures showing of celebrities have all been deleted so I think they are just in the cache. Hopefully when Onejohn clears the cache, they'll go away.  You've done your bit, so don't worry about it anymore. 

Found one cake picture Negin, liked it so you could delete.   Stacia, found one of sheldon that I liked so you can delete.

If anyone else needs me to blast through their threads, let me know and I'll do a quick scroll.

For those searching per justaque's instructions, I'd suggest that you do separate searches for: .jpg, ,jpeg, .gif, and .png

I found different graphics using all of those in my searches.

I just did these separate searches and found a few more book covers so very helpful thanks Stacia. Not sure if you gave that advice here on BaW or not....quote came from SWB's main thread but since it was so helpful ...... I did my that page scroll and sent a couple of ancient likes for some graphics.