Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW 37

Robin M

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been so glad to be a newb in my life. I had to remove a total of 2 pictures. It must stink to have to spend so much time to remove a ton of photos. :( 

The Best Yes is compete and it was fabulous. Tune In is dragging for me and I might just stop reading it right now and revisit it later. Toying with finally picking up Rothfuss' The Name Of The Wind that has been sitting in a pile of books for months now. 

Gals, I'm sincerely sorry if I am the cause of BaW threads getting deleted.

I've been working for hours now & am almost done with my 2014 posts. Since I have over 9,000 posts here, this may take me approximately... forever, esp as most of my posts on this board have some type of pic or graphic in them.

It's 3:30am my time & I am exhausted. It may be easier to have the board gods just smite my posts to oblivion...

:-(

No, doll. I don't want you taking that burden on your shoulders. You are not responsible. Some *^%#+* whose going after swb is. Don't worry about book covers, just the celebrities first, then the other questionable stuff. And if you need help, let me know. We will pitch in and then you can change your password.

Week 52 2013:

Stacia #13, 37, 59, 238 (book covers), 58, 169, 174, 175, 244

Lost Surprise #16 (book covers)

Negin #24 & 26, 66 (& 56 - book cover in a quote)

Ladydusk #40 (book cover)

Jane in NC #50, 61, 68 (book cover),

cstarlette #135 (book cover)

Lost Surprise # 167, 173

Lady Florida #168

Woodland Mist Academy #183

mlbuchina: #235 (book cover), 245

Week 51 2013:

Stacia: #17, 33, 106

Negin: #26,

Jane in NC # 65

Robin M #126 (or are product photos okay?) [if not okay Sunny days quotes you @129}

Week 50 2013:

Stacia: #20, 96, 99, 107

Negin #43

Exhausted and signing off... but hoping we've done enough that we'll get to keep our threads! (I'm still traumatized by losing one...)

you are awesome. Thank you!

Hello everyone.

I have scrubbed far more than necessary but Susan's announcements have evolved. So we are safe with book covers, quotes when reviewing books, and photos from catalogs or shopping sites. 

What may prove to be interesting in the long run is that we could use words instead of photos...  I don't always like to click on links.

Thanks, gals. I think in pictures so I feel like I'm performing a self-lobotomy. I may indeed call on help if I can't just get my posts wholesale deleted by the board gods. (I have posted the question & am awaiting response.)

I'm leaving book covers at this point, but am busy deleting man candy, birthday wishes, get well wishes, baby wishes, random silly stuff.... Ugh. I think probably 3/4 of my posts have pics. Seriously, seeing all my posts makes me feel very responsible for the problems.

Thanks, gals. I think in pictures so I feel like I'm performing a self-lobotomy. I may indeed call on help if I can't just get my posts wholesale deleted by the board gods. (I have posted the question & am awaiting response.)

I'm leaving book covers at this point, but am busy deleting man candy, birthday wishes, get well wishes, baby wishes, random silly stuff.... Ugh. I think probably 3/4 of my posts have pics. Seriously, seeing all my posts makes me feel very responsible for the problems.

No no no no. To my, admittedly faulty, understanding of the law, nearly every image you post is JUST FINE. People issue bullying, overbroad, and fangless takedown notices all over the internet; there's a legal blog (Popehat) almost entirely devoted to the problem. They count on the fact that litigation is expensive to scare people into compliance. There's no way SWB would be liable for things other people have posted on her forum. And ordinary people like you, who post stuff that's just fine, have to waste hours of their lives combing through and deleting.

I'm not "liking" your post; once again I'm reaching for the sympathetic GROAN button.  Perhaps I can enlist my daughter to create an original artwork that I can personally photograph.

Anyway, here is some

{steaming tea}

and a

{plate of dark chocolate}

and thrown in for good measure, a bit of

{kilt-wearing mancake with a bit of soft pink rhubarb squish on top}...

No no no no. To my, admittedly faulty, understanding of the law, nearly every image you post is JUST FINE. People issue bullying, overbroad, and fangless takedown notices all over the internet; there's a legal blog (Popehat) almost entirely devoted to the problem. They count on the fact that litigation is expensive to scare people into compliance. There's no way SWB would be liable for things other people have posted on her forum. And ordinary people like you, who post stuff that's just fine, have to waste hours of their lives combing through and deleting.

:iagree:  I'm out of likes. :)

Ugh!  In all the Kerfluffle I lost my multi-quotes from last week's thread.

I think that I have all of my pictures deleted.  Most were quoted from someone else.  If someone sees something please let me know!  My avatar is of me and Aly so that's fine.

(((Hugs))) Stacia and Skukriyya!  

After taking the time to delete, I've forgotten what I was going to post about.  Oh, well!

I'm currently down with a horrid cold or allergy attack.  Whichever it is has got me miserable.  I was able to read a little today, though and am getting closer to the end of Little Women.  Aly and I started The Wizard of Oz this week as well. 

Just wanted to send hugs to Stacia, Shukriyya, and Negin. Your pictures have given me many giggles and smiles. I hope that a less time consuming method is found soon.

Just because we could all use something non delete related I am going to fill you in on my Scottish Party. We had a great time eating shortbread, Scottish pancakes, oatcakes, and cheese. No haggis......darn! :lol: Did a quiz filled with images which made me shudder. The result was I am rubbish at Scottish trivia unless actors or royalty are involved. I also knew Burns and Scott so can do old author.

On the book front I started a CS Harris reread in honor of Amy and others currently reading that series. Picking up much that had been forgotten.

Sorry about all the board pics hoopla. I really hope book covers can stay. That is one of my favorite parts of this forum.

I did finish two books in the last 3 days: Bad Monkeys by Ruff which came highly recommended on this thread. It was quite the roller-coaster ride and I thoroughly enjoyed it except for the ending.

The other book is We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. It was the only book from the Man Booker short list that my library carried. I loved it. Great story with a unique pacing by the author. Now I want to read The Jane Austin Book Club which Fowler also wrote. I know it was discussed here not too long ago but I never paid much attention to it.

I finished The Archived which I enjoyed. I've checked out Half Magic by Edward Eager because Goodreads keeps including it on all my recommendation lists which are supposed to be based on previous reads. We shall see.

The Archived might be a novel based around all of those old posts we have been cleaning up.

I finished The Archived which I enjoyed. I've checked out Half Magic by Edward Eager because Goodreads keeps including it on all my recommendation lists which are supposed to be based on previous reads. We shall see.

The kids and I read Half Magic last summer.  It's ok.  There are more in that series if you enjoy it. 

There's no way SWB would be liable for things other people have posted on her forum. 

Guys,

Book covers ARE FINE.

But the above is simply not true.

Book covers. Fine. But please don't snag photos OF ANY HUMAN BEING from other internet sites and post them here.

Link? OK. Post? Not OK.

More when I can.

I hate this too. Hang in there,

SWB

Those who enjoy science fiction and who also have Kindles might be interested to know that a number of books by the publisher Baen are currently free.  Try this link.  Included are some books by Sharon Lee, David Weber, Andre Norton, Eric Flint, John Ringo, David Drake, and others.

Regards,

Kareni

Here.  To ease the stress of the search and destroy jpg missions, a little slice of a California peaceful, easy feeling (cue Eagles song).  This was taken tonight (by me, with my iPhone, of my dog) at one of the county's off-leash dog beaches.  A little slice of heaven and a little jpg juju for the Baw soul!

15026746808_fbb027a1f6.jpg

I think she has confused the sun for her tennis ball....  

Beautiful picture Jenn.

Yeah! Amy has her avitar back. :)

Question for Goodreads people..... what do you do for a reread? I finally figured out that I could use the same book(wouldn't let me switch editions) and put it on both 2013 and 2014 bookshelves. It works so I am happy. If I continue my St.Cyr reread it will be twice in the same year but months apart so I would like to list it again for my records within my 2014 bookshelf. I don't think there is a way......please don't spend much time on this because I suspect one was enough for now. This is a curiosity type question.

But the above is simply not true.

SWB

Sorry - I suppose there was an elliptical "... if she complies with the DMCA's safe harbor provisions for hosts of third-party content that potentially infringes copyright, which she is" in there. And I recognize I'm not the one facing litigation, or being advised by actual lawyers. But I still think it's legally true that your good faith efforts make it true that you're not liable for third-party copyright infringement; you didn't post it, you didn't encourage it, and you require it to be taken down when you're made aware of it. And certainly none of Stacia's postings are what triggered the presumed DMCA takedown notice some obnoxious person has apparently sent. Mostly this is what I wanted to let her know. This isn't her fault.

Anyway, again, terribly sorry this has happened, and we'll all pitch in and do our part. We owe you that.

Ugh. I may be working for weeks. 

I feel like I can't even talk now without pics. :-(

Me too.  :grouphug:

Am doing the .jpg search. Still, I posted way too many pics...

Yep. Same here. 

this may take me approximately... forever, esp as most of my posts on this board have some type of pic or graphic in them.

Groan. Me too. 

Gals, I'm sincerely sorry if I am the cause of BaW threads getting deleted.

I've been working for hours now & am almost done with my 2014 posts. Since I have over 9,000 posts here, this may take me approximately... forever, esp as most of my posts on this board have some type of pic or graphic in them.

It's 3:30am my time & I am exhausted. It may be easier to have the board gods just smite my posts to oblivion...

... I think in pictures so I feel like I'm performing a self-lobotomy. I may indeed call on help if I can't just get my posts wholesale deleted by the board gods. (I have posted the question & am awaiting response.)

Awww, ((honey)).  Please, please, please don't beat yourself up...

Darling, you haven't done anything wrong!

You fill our threads with color and fun and *life*!

That we now have to de-colorize our world wasn't something predictable and I hate that you're not only slaving away, you're feeling bad about having given us so much! (((Stacia)))

Just because we could all use something non delete related I am going to fill you in on my Scottish Party. We had a great time eating shortbread, Scottish pancakes, oatcakes, and cheese. No haggis......darn! :lol: Did a quiz filled with images which made me shudder. The result was I am rubbish at Scottish trivia unless actors or royalty are involved. I also knew Burns and Scott so can do old author.

How fun!  And if you can hold your own re: Burns, I expect you can hold your own, period.

re Half Magic and Freedom Maze / YA picks:

I am very fond of many of Eager's books - though I think one appreciates them more if one has read Nesbit... (Laurel Snyder's Any Which Wall riffs off of both of them and Delia Sherman takes Nesbit's foundation and builds something powerful and amazing in Freedom Maze - Pam, your daughter might like this one)

Half Magic ran through my daughter's book-loving circle of friends last year; and Freedom Maze was actually assigned by her school last year.  She enjoyed them both (I haven't read either).

Here.  To ease the stress of the search and destroy jpg missions, a little slice of a California peaceful, easy feeling (cue Eagles song).  This was taken tonight (by me, with my iPhone, of my dog) at one of the county's off-leash dog beaches.  A little slice of heaven and a little jpg juju for the Baw soul!

15026746808_fbb027a1f6.jpg

I think she has confused the sun for her tennis ball....  

:001_wub: Awwwww.....  My dog is **ecstatic** whenever we let him loose on the ocean -- yelping with delight... he can't make up his mind what to do... he prances into the water, then comes tearing out to dig in the sand, then he tears off in pursuit of some strange smell, then he rolls over and over in the sand, then he shakes it all off, then he repeats the whole sequence... sadly, although we are fairly close to the LI Sound, I haven't found a beach here where I can let him off leash -- it's not the same!

Awww, ((honey)).  Please, please, please don't beat yourself up...

:001_wub: Awwwww.....  My dog is **ecstatic** whenever we let him loose on the ocean -- yelping with delight... he can't make up his mind what to do... he prances into the water, then comes tearing out to dig in the sand, then he tears off in pursuit of some strange smell, then he rolls over and over in the sand, then he shakes it all off, then he repeats the whole sequence... sadly, although we are fairly close to the LI Sound, I haven't found a beach here where I can let him off leash -- it's not the same!

Pam, You can bring your dog to N. FL. We have lots of dog-friendly beaches on the First Coast. Our dog Dusty used to loooove to chase the seagulls. They would land just out of reach and she would chase them again. This would go on until she was miles away. Here is a pic when she was in her prime.

at%2Bthe%2Bbeachhouse%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Angel, forgot to say I hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

Oh, get well soon, love!  I'm struggling through what I hope are the final stages of a nasty virus and it drags everything down, doesn't it? 

Thanks!  Still feeling poorly this morning.  I'm trying to rest again today because Aly has a planned birthday shopping trip tomorrow.  We didn't do it last week on her actual birthday, and I really don't want to reschedule.  

:grouphug:  Eliana, yes it does drag everything down.  Blah.  I hope you are truly on the mend!  How was baby boy's first week at school?

I finished Little Women last night  :hurray:  I don't know why it took me so long to get through it.  I truly enjoyed it as much as I remembered (though it had been many a moon since the last time).  Do other people identify with characters in books?  Skye, Aly, and I all spent time trying to decide who we were most like.  We do that with Jane Austen and Harry Potter and, actually, movies as well (I'm unfortunately Melman from Madagascar :lol: ).  Aly declared she was Jo right at the start though she would not see that she shouldn't be with Laurie.  My Skye is Beth with a bit of Meg.  I'm a cross between Jo and Amy.  I loved the timeless lessons that are woven into the girls lives as Louisa May Alcott writes the story.  What lessons I still learned from Marmee as I read the pages.  I was surprised by how applicable it still was today and, not only that, but that it spoke not only to my 14yo but to my almost 20yo and myself at all the different stages of our lives.  I believe this truly falls into the classic category.    

As I said, Aly and I are working on The Wizard of Oz, we started there with our fantasy/fairy tales because she has not seen the movie and we just finished Once Upon a Time Season 3 which is the catalyst for all of the fairy tale studies anyway. We will go on with Rumplestiltskin next lol.   Aly also got first pick in our co-op lit class and so we are going to be reading The Mysterious Benedict Society.  I have a huge list to choose from of what I want to read.  And it begins with Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson because I actually have it out of the library.  ( :seeya:  Amy, you know you want to read it with me!)  I don't like reading so many books at once but we'll see how it goes!

Pam, You can bring your dog to N. FL. We have lots of dog-friendly beaches on the First Coast. Our dog Dusty used to loooove to chase the seagulls. They would land just out of reach and she would chase them again. This would go on until she was miles away. Here is a pic when she was in her prime.

at%2Bthe%2Bbeachhouse%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Awww... too sweet.

Yes, there do seem to be many more dog-friendly beaches in the South than around here.  We took Yoshi with us down to St Simon last March.  He was in Dog Heaven.

Beautiful picture Jenn.

Yeah! Amy has her avitar back. :)

Question for Goodreads people..... what do you do for a reread? I finally figured out that I could use the same book(wouldn't let me switch editions) and put it on both 2013 and 2014 bookshelves. It works so I am happy. If I continue my St.Cyr reread it will be twice in the same year but months apart so I would like to list it again for my records within my 2014 bookshelf. I don't think there is a way......please don't spend much time on this because I suspect one was enough for now. This is a curiosity type question.

How did you do that? I've just been changing the read date.

Finished Wise Man's Fear (re-read) and The Two Towers (re-read). Started Alas, Babylon.

Son, what happened to your eyebrows?

I forgot where my mustache was.

actual conversation this morn with my kiddo who shaved his eyebrows in a weird way.

J. D Robb's newest Festive in Death arrived yesterday. huzzah!

keep posting the fur baby pictures - I'm sure we all have a jillion that can crop to tell a funny story or illustrate a concept. Who needs celebrities when all we have to do is look to our pet's latest antics. or our kids!

How did you do that? I've just been changing the read date.

Finished Wise Man's Fear (re-read) and The Two Towers (re-read). Started Alas, Babylon.

You can create your own bookshelves. I have one for both years in which I have done BaW, one for each dc, AP, and abandoned. I also keep short stories in one by year to keep my count right. After you click that your book is finished you have an opportunity to do your shelves. You can also edit them later if needed. You can put a book on as many shelves as you want. My St. Cyr appears to have worked on both my 2013 and 2014 shelves. Not sure how my total read count is because shorts would go in that total too.

I hope that was sort of clear and what you were asking.

You can create your own bookshelves. I have one for both years in which I have done BaW, one for each dc, AP, and abandoned. I also keep short stories in one by year to keep my count right. After you click that your book is finished you have an opportunity to do your shelves. You can also edit them later if needed. You can put a book on as many shelves as you want. My St. Cyr appears to have worked on both my 2013 and 2014 shelves. Not sure how my total read count is because shorts would go in that total too.

Does anyone know how to completely delete a book from Goodreads. Some books I don't want on any shelves.

For the book challenges you have to edit the read date for it to count.  I wish you could add more than one read date. But the above helps, too. 

Son, what happened to your eyebrows?

I forgot where my mustache was.

actual conversation this morn with my kiddo who shaved his eyebrows in a weird way.

J. D Robb's newest Festive in Death arrived yesterday. huzzah!

keep posting the fur baby pictures - I'm sure we all have a jillion that can crop to tell a funny story or illustrate a concept. Who needs celebrities when all we have to do is look to our pet's latest antics. or our kids!

:lol: or :grouphug: whichever feels appropriate when you read this. Teen boys are the most forgetful people I have ever known in my life. Wouldn't life as a teenage girl been easier if we had known just how oblivious they really are? I can't believe the number of important things my ds can forget, even things that he really cares about. Dd really does live on a different planet, she only forgets if it's convenient. ;)

ETA I forgot to say looking forward to your review of the new JD Robb. Are you almost ready for it in your order with your rereads?

Does anyone know how to completely delete a book from Goodreads. Some books I don't want on any shelves.

I haven't figured that out. I switch them to want to read and ignore them or want to read abandoned. I can't figure out what to do about a book that I abandoned that at one point was accidentally shown as read. Because of the date it is beingincluded in my 2014 challenge. Nothing makes it go away even thought it shows as want to read abandoned.

Hey, I'm here. Thanks for all your support & kind words.

To delete a book on GR, go under your review of the book (even if it is just sitting on your to-read shelf), & click on 'edit review'.

When that opens, scroll all the way down to the bottom & look below/outside of the text box area. You should see 'remove from my books' as an option. Click that. It will verify that you do indeed want to delete it & that should take care of it for you.

Stacia :grouphug: Thinking about you. If you see this pop in and wave at us so we know you are fine!

Shukriyya, you need to check in too!

Negin, you aren't forgotten but have simply already checked in. ;)

I want to bump this post since I am a little worried about my boardie pals.  Check in, please!

(Add image of tea cup or glass of wine--whatever suits!)

Hey, I'm here. Thanks for all your support & kind words.

To delete a book on GR, go under your review of the book (even if it is just sitting on your to-read shelf), & click on 'edit review'.

When that opens, scroll all the way down to the bottom & look below/outside of the text box area. You should see 'remove from my books' as an option. Click that. It will verify that you do indeed want to delete it & that should take care of it for you.

:grouphug: I knew you would know how! Off to try to do it myself.....