Menu

Barack Obama was homeschooled!

I used to think that was just hyperbole and rhetoric until I went to the NEA website and found it for myself some years ago. Yes, the NEA would like to abolish homeschooling and make government preschool mandatory. It's not a secret plot; they are open and upfront about it.

Could you provide links? I just did a few searches of the NEA website and couldn't find anything that indicated they are actively trying to abolish homeschooling. I found several editorials written by others who take the homeschooling movement to task, but accompanied by the usual disclaimer that the views expressed are that of the individual author and not necesarily the views of the NEA.

Regardless, whether or not they can accomplish such a thing is another kettle of fish entirely.

astrid

Astrid

Are there ANY unions that have endorsed McCain? Are there any unions that have EVER endorsed a Republican candidate for president? I mean, I honestly don't know--probably there are--but it's certainly not common. Given the absence of a candidate that shares their views on homeschooling, it makes perfect sense to me that the NEA would endorse the most pro-union candidate. He disagrees openly with the NEA on a number of points, including his support of merit pay for teachers and charter schools (in fact, he was booed by some people for mentioning these when he spoke at the NEA convention). The NEA didn't endorse a candidate in the primary; that they endorsed the Democrat in the general election is hardly a shocker.

Um, EVERY parent worth a child's hug teaches their child is some fashion, be in 4am or 4pm. I taught my children history, reading, literature, religion, gymnastics, etc BEFORE we ever homeschooled. Does that make me a candidate for sainthood. Not likely. It does make me a proactive parent.

Joe Blow across the street also educates her children before she sends them off to their respective schools. Sounds like Mr. Obama is placing Momma Obama on a pedestal instead of giving her a big thanks for helping him learn the basics.

Sorry, but I think he's full of hot air and hope he's simply a foot note in poli-sci textbooks next year.

Wow. So a person can't have nice memories of his mother without being full of hot air?

My niece is a senior in high school. As it stands right now, she'll be valedictorian of her class. She recently had to write an autobiography, and one of the things she spoke highly of her mother about was being a SAHM. She isn't running for president, but those are the nice memories she has of her mother. That doesn't make her full of hot air.

For what it's worth, as far as I know, Obama has never used the term "homeschool" to describe his mother's educating him anyway. Regardless, who are we to say what constitutes "homeschool" and what doesn't? The beauty of homeschooling is that we all school our children in the way we want.

We as homeschoolers aren't thrilled to be judged by others. I hear homeschoolers complaining all the time about others having something to say about the way they choose to school. You'd think that we homeschoolers would be the last to judge the education of others.

Are there ANY unions that have endorsed McCain? Are there any unions that have EVER endorsed a Republican candidate for president? I mean, I honestly don't know--probably there are--but it's certainly not common.

------

He disagrees openly with the NEA on a number of points, including his support of merit pay for teachers and charter schools (in fact, he was booed by some people for mentioning these when he spoke at the NEA convention). The NEA didn't endorse a candidate in the primary; that they endorsed the Democrat in the general election is hardly a shocker.

Yah, when a traditional union endorses a Republican candidate, *that* is what makes news. Otherwise, it's pretty unremarkable.

I see nothing wrong with Obama noting that his mother diligently worked with him before school. Many children in the US do NOT have parents that do that...they wholly leave things up to the school and it is those children that many times do not get far in school (though may, with personal initiative, make up for it in college years).

I see nothing wrong with Obama noting that his mother diligently worked with him before school. Many children in the US do NOT have parents that do that...they wholly leave things up to the school and it is those children that many times do not get far in school (though may, with personal initiative, make up for it in college years).

Thank you. As a former teacher, I can tell you that it is the rare parent who actually works with his/her child, especially on any regular basis. It's always the school's fault or the teacher's fault if the child fails, misbehaves, etc.

Here is the NEA's position on homeschooling. It is in the resolutions passed at their convention this year. It sounds pretty much the same every year. You can find it be going to http://www.nea.org/annualmeeting/raaction/080706resolutions.html and clicking on the NEA Resolutions 2008-2009. So while they don't want to abolish homeschooling, they do want to make it so difficult that the average parent can't do it.

B-80. Home Schooling

The National Education Association believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience. When home schooling occurs, students enrolled must meet all state curricular requirements, including the taking and passing of assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Home schooling should be limited to the children of the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by persons who are licensed by the appropriate state education licensure agency, and a curriculum approved by the state department of education should be used. The Association also believes that home-schooled students should not participate in any extracurricular activities in the public schools. The Association further believes that local public school systems should have the authority to determine grade placement and/or credits earned toward graduation for students entering or re-entering the public school setting from a home school setting. (1988, 2006)

Mary in VA

Oh but the NEA says so much that seems to be outside it's purvue:

NEW BUSINESS ITEM 27

Adopted

The NEA will send a letter urging Congress to block attempts by the Bush administration to commit the U.S. to a permanent military presence in Iraq.

Or perhaps some excuses...

NEW BUSINESS ITEM 44

Adopted as Amended

I move that NEA publish and present the findings of Educational Testing Service (ETS), studies which show that low test scores are often a function of socioeconomic conditions beyond school control, and have little or nothing to do with school effectiveness.

If you can't beat them-make them join...

NEW BUSINESS ITEM 79

Adopted

The National Education Association will study the potential impact of opening active membership to private school educators. To better understand the complexities on all sides of the issue these findings will be reported to the 2009 Representative Assembly.

For those of you in Homeschool=Charter School states, a little hint of how they feel about homeschooling in general...

2. There also should be an absolute prohibition against the granting of charters for the purpose of home-schooling, including online charter schools that seek to provide home-schooling over the Internet.(4) Charter schools whose students are in fact home schoolers, and who may rarely if ever convene in an actual school building, disregard the important socialization aspect of public education, do not serve the public purpose of promoting a sense of community, and lend themselves too easily to the misuse of public funds and the abuse of public trust.

Finally-here is what the NEA thinks of homeschoolers...

B-80. Home Schooling

The National Education Association believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience. When home schooling occurs, students enrolled must meet all state curricular requirements, including the taking and passing of assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Home schooling should be limited to the children of the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by persons who are licensed by the appropriate state education licensure agency, and a curriculum approved by the state department of education should be used. The Association also believes that home-schooled students should not participate in any extracurricular activities in the public schools. The Association further believes that local public school systems should have the authority to determine grade placement and/or credits earned toward graduation for students entering or re-entering the public school setting from a home school setting. (1988, 2006)

And of course the NEA is:

The NEA: organized, energized and mobilized for Barack Obama

Now, is anyone unsure of how the NEA feels about a "quality education" including homeschooling and what position they expect their candidate to take after the $50million campaign being launched?

I have to laugh because the teachers I know in real life who are in NEA are the last ones I'd want teaching my children. :p

As was pointed out, though, the NEA has no authority over many things on which they offer "positions." The main reasons the NEA supports Obama is because the members despise NCLB and because, as another poster pointed out, unions generally support Democrats.

I would not be at all surprised if she taught him a whole curriculum in English as well. As has been mentioned, this is not unusual in expat situations.

If she taught him a full curriculum, but he also went to Indonesian school, does that make him a school student or a home educated student? You know, I'm not sure it matters: he has an understanding of the idea (and possible success) of home education.

Laura

Good point, Laura!

Jen

Yes, I believe it. But then I don't labor under the belief that the NEA wants to abolish homeschooling.

You asked for proof that I believe it. Hmmm....not sure how to fulfill that request......? Want my dh to submit an affadavit stating that he's heard me muse aloud about it? :D

Astrid

Astrid,

It looks like enough other posters have given ample evidence from the NEA's own website to demonstrate that the NEA would like to see the end of homeschooling.

As for proof, show an issue where Obama has stood up for a belief system, for a friend, for a mentor, and refused to "refine" his beliefs when it looked like it would damage his candidacy if he held firm. My point is that he does not seem to believe in anything with the exception of his own election. He went on and on about Iraq, and then flipped, he stood by Wright till he flipped. Where has he faced down damaging opposition?

I am sure there are examples. I just do not know of any.

Now on homeschooling, if he would flip on Iraq and Wright why would he hold firm on our rights. Remember most of the posters are hanging their hopes on a few lines in in a self serving book. Not much I am afraid.

Go to youtube and search Obama and NEA for some enlightening video, and just for fun search NEA solidarity song.

I have to laugh because the teachers I know in real life who are in NEA are the last ones I'd want teaching my children. :p

Ah, more teacher-bashing.

I actually know quite a few homeschoolers who are NEA members. And I know many, many NEA members who are WONDERFUL, DEDICATED teachers, slogging it out in districts such as ours which is so underfunded and crippled by NCLB that they spend huge amounts of their own money on their classroom. One, in fact, just recieved a huge shipment of music theory books that were cast off from her old district in Indiana. She bought them and paid for shipping.

Astrid

As for proof, show an issue where Obama has stood up for a belief system, for a friend, for a mentor, and refused to "refine" his beliefs when it looked like it would damage his candidacy if he held firm.

Well, again, he spoke out in favor of merit pay for teachers at the NEA convention, even though he was booed for it. Just to name an example that's relevant here. He didn't "flip" on Iraq. That was the strangest spin coming out of the McCain campaign I've ever seen. And I'm really surprised that the McCain campaign is interested in making an issue out of "flip flopping" anyway (Bush's tax cuts, offshore drilling anyone?)

I actually know quite a few homeschoolers who are NEA members. And I know many, many NEA members who are WONDERFUL, DEDICATED teachers, slogging it out in districts such as ours which is so underfunded and crippled by NCLB that they spend huge amounts of their own money on their classroom. One, in fact, just recieved a huge shipment of music theory books that were cast off from her old district in Indiana. She bought them and paid for shipping.

Astrid

I am a certified teacher. I taught last school year. In this area, though, very few whom I know are NEA members, and I would not be thrilled with the ones with whom I taught in the past teaching my child. Yes, they speak against homeschooling. They think it's their way or the highway, so, no, I wouldn't want that for my child. Perhaps it's different where you live, but as a teacher, I haven't had good experiences with NEA.

Astrid

Astrid,

Am I now to assume that we now agree that the NEA would see the end of homeschooling?

Regarding your other coments:

Many kids in public school do not know how to read! Comenting on this is not teacher bashing it is pointing out failures on the part of teachers.

Just as you know "wonderful and dedicated" teachers, Judy was pointing out that she knows many who are not. This is not teacher bashing it is pointing out failures on the part of teachers.

I am sorry but membership in a group such as the NEA which would see my children forced into a public school is a threat to my children's education. Given the posts above which list the NEA's positions (in their own words) anyone who is a member is not, in my eyes, dedicated or wonderful, they are part of an union that damages our children, opposes giving parents freedom of choice and does everything possible to provide job security for subpar teachers. This is not teacher bashing it is simply pointing out very poor choices on the part of teachers.

Those teachers you know are at best misguided and at worst willfully damaging children's futures. Spending a few dollars of their own money does not make up for the damage they do through their support of the NEA.

(If, and I do not know of this, a teacher is forced to join in order to get a job, then I withdraw my coment about being misguoded, but would ask why they do not form an opposition within the NEA.)

Any homeschooler who would give a pass to an organization whose goals include forcing our children into the public school system (against our wills), should perhaps look more closely at the NEA's statements.

Well, again, he spoke out in favor of merit pay for teachers at the NEA convention, even though he was booed for it. Just to name an example that's relevant here.

Exactly, and that's one of the few areas where I agree with the NEA. It doesn't change my overall opinion of Obama, though. It does make me realize that he really doesn't have a clue about schools, but nothing McCain has said in that area impresses me, either.

He didn't "flip" on Iraq. That was the strangest spin coming out of the McCain campaign I've ever seen. And I'm really surprised that the McCain campaign is interested in making an issue out of "flip flopping" anyway (Bush's tax cuts, offshore drilling anyone?)

I totally agree.

Exactly, and that's one of the few areas where I agree with the NEA. It doesn't change my overall opinion of Obama, though. It does make me realize that he really doesn't have a clue about schools, but nothing McCain has said in that area impresses me, either.

Out of curiosity, why are you opposed to merit pay? On principle, or because you think it would just be too difficult to implement fairly?

Could you provide links? I just did a few searches of the NEA website and couldn't find anything that indicated they are actively trying to abolish homeschooling. I found several editorials written by others who take the homeschooling movement to task, but accompanied by the usual disclaimer that the views expressed are that of the individual author and not necesarily the views of the NEA.

Regardless, whether or not they can accomplish such a thing is another kettle of fish entirely.

Astrid

Here is one about preschool:

http://www.nea.org/presscenter/prek040910.html

I still lived in Baltimore when I originally went to the NEA website and looked for their official views on preschool and homeschooling, so it's been about 10 years ago - the dark ages of the internet. :001_smile: So I can't post the original links I found or recall the exact wording.

The NEA can't get everything they want, but they do wield an amazing amount of power, imo. They lobbied one state at a time to lower the compulsory school age, and they were successful in many states. It's my opinion (and I hope I'm wrong) that eventually they will lobby for mandatory preschool as well. Of course, as long as homeschooling remains legal (and I believe it's here to stay for the foreseeable future), lots of parents will choose to homeschool preschool even they don't want to homeschool past that age.

It is not my purpose to bash teachers or Obama, so I hope I haven't come across in that manner. I've had 2 children in ps in the past, and only one misguided teacher out of the 4 our kids had. My oldest dd is in ps again, and her teachers are great - no complaints at all so far.

Any homeschooler who would give a pass to an organization whose goals include forcing our children into the public school system (against our wills), should perhaps look more closely at the NEA's statements.

I do agree with that, but I don't necessarily agree with this:

Many kids in public school do not know how to read! Comenting on this is not teacher bashing it is pointing out failures on the part of teachers.

While there are some teachers who don't do all they can, for the most part, I blame the "system," not the teacher. I was so frustrated with teaching because my hands were tied. Last year I had sixth graders who didn't even know letter sounds, but I had to teach the "standards" so that they could pass "the test." I truly felt unethical, but there was nothing I could do about it. Based on my observations and experience, these so-called "higher standards" that we keep hearing about mean throwing a lot of material at the kids that most will never master.

Out of curiosity, why are you opposed to merit pay? On principle, or because you think it would just be too difficult to implement fairly?

I feel that there is no way to implement it fairly. Test scores certainly don't indicate how well a teacher teaches. If you go to a website like greatschools.net, you can compare schools; most of the ratings are based on test scores. Well, I've taught in a school that rates a 10, and I've taught in a school that rates a 2. I had to work much, much harder in the school that rates 2 than in the school that rates 10, yet I "looked" better in the school that rates 10. Ironically, the school that rates 10 also already pays better, yet I'd probably be eligible for merit pay in that school but not in the other school where I'd need the extra pay the most.

I am sorry but membership in a group such as the NEA which would see my children forced into a public school is a threat to my children's education. Given the posts above which list the NEA's positions (in their own words) anyone who is a member is not, in my eyes, dedicated or wonderful, they are part of an union that damages our children, opposes giving parents freedom of choice and does everything possible to provide job security for subpar teachers. This is not teacher bashing it is simply pointing out very poor choices on the part of teachers.

Spending a few dollars of their own money does not make up for the damage they do through their support of the NEA.

(If, and I do not know of this, a teacher is forced to join in order to get a job, then I withdraw my coment about being misguoded, but would ask why they do not form an opposition within the NEA.)

Just to be fair, in many states, teachers have to be NEA members in order to have their jobs. They can withhold the portion of their dues that goes toward political lobbying, but that's it. I would be surprised if there aren't many teachers who do vote against the resolutions, etc.

I've known some teachers who spent more than a few dollars of their own money for their classrooms. One of my friends in Baltimore taught in an inner city school and she had to supply the basics for many kids - paper, pencils, etc. The school provides nothing of that sort, so if the parents can't or won't buy school supplies, the teachers do.

Just to be fair, in many states, teachers have to be NEA members in order to have their jobs. They can withhold the portion of their dues that goes toward political lobbying, but that's it. I would be surprised if there aren't many teachers who do vote against the resolutions, etc.

Do you know which states require membership in NEA?

I've known some teachers who spent more than a few dollars of their own money for their classrooms. One of my friends in Baltimore taught in an inner city school and she had to supply the basics for many kids - paper, pencils, etc. The school provides nothing of that sort, so if the parents can't or won't buy school supplies, the teachers do.

Almost every teacher I know spends a whole lot of his/her own money each year.

So, having an opinion on something means that Thy Will Be Done?

Wow. I think I"m going to get started writing my opinions on the nutritional benefits of large amounts of chocolate ice cream. :-)

Astrid

Well, to be fair, opinions and lobby positions are the main reason that I won't join HSLDA. It is certainly the reason I would not join NEA if I were a teacher in a right-to-work state. Lobbying an opinion and positions are the way to attempt to get things done.

I prefer education unions stick to education issues in their policy statements.

The NEA resolution against homeschooling has been in their annual minutes (or whatever) since the 1980s. Prior to that, the US Supreme Court has upheld parental rights to educate their own children for at least 6 decades. They're posturing. They have been posturing and they will continue to posture. That does not mean a law will be enacted. (meanwhile, look at me! I went to public school and can conjugate a verb that I think is dodgy, at best.)

Also, the IAFF has backed Obama. I don't see him pushing through a federal ban on amateur-operated fire extinguishers or garden hoses in the name of job security for firefighters out of gratitude for their backing.

I have read the education plan as it appears currently on his website. It addresses public education and improvements thereto. It does not address, in any way, private schools, charter schools or home school. In our country, public education is the norm. It makes sense that a legislator would feel strongly about reforming public education.

Or, you know, homeschoolers can just quietly take over the world. ;)

Or perhaps some excuses...

NEW BUSINESS ITEM 44

Adopted as Amended

I move that NEA publish and present the findings of Educational Testing Service (ETS), studies which show that low test scores are often a function of socioeconomic conditions beyond school control, and have little or nothing to do with school effectiveness.

Interesting. Without the benefit of test findings, I had reached a similar general conclusion long ago based upon observation and experience. A home environment that is conducive to learning is critical factor in educational attainment. When the home attitude toward education is indifference or negativity, it takes an exceptional child to thrive educationally.

Dumping more money into troubled schools seems to have diminishing marginal return beyond a certain point. Not sure what the answer is though. Certainly it is not to abandon public education.

I feel I have to put these qualifiers out here in effort to ward off the inevitable: Many children from chaotic homes fare wonderfully in otherwise poorly performing traditional schools. Many bright students languish in traditional schools. There are poorly performing teachers and students in both homeschools and traditional schools.

Ultimately the education experience will be what the child himself is able and willing to make of it on his own or with the assistance of a parent or teacher.

The NEA resolution against homeschooling has been in their annual minutes (or whatever) since the 1980s. Prior to that, the US Supreme Court has upheld parental rights to educate their own children for at least 6 decades. They're posturing. They have been posturing and they will continue to posture. That does not mean a law will be enacted. (meanwhile, look at me! I went to public school and can conjugate a verb that I think is dodgy, at best.)

Also, the IAFF has backed Obama. I don't see him pushing through a federal ban on amateur-operated fire extinguishers or garden hoses in the name of job security for firefighters out of gratitude for their backing.

I have read the education plan as it appears currently on his website. It addresses public education and improvements thereto. It does not address, in any way, private schools, charter schools or home school. In our country, public education is the norm. It makes sense that a legislator would feel strongly about reforming public education.

Or, you know, homeschoolers can just quietly take over the world. ;)

Great post!

• 1 month later...

Ummm just a logic test here.... being Hsed, or better stated, before school tutored in a third world country does not necessarily equate with being pro-hsing as an adult.

Unless Obama has done more than talk during a campaign year, (when politicians of every color will say anything to get themselves elected,) about hsing you just cannot assume that he is pro-hsing. He might be pro only while living in a third world country, or he might be only in extreme circumstances, or he might be totally for or against it. Y'all are taking a mighty big leap with this assumption, Obama hsed means Obama is pro-hsing......

So my challenge is point to something anything Obama has done to support or been in favor of hsing before beginning to campaign for president, which he has been doing for at least the last 2 years. Writing in a book about mom tutoring him is not something legislatively. He has been in power at the state level since 96.... Good Luck.

:iagree:

Ummm just a logic test here.... being Hsed, or better stated, before school tutored in a third world country does not necessarily equate with being pro-hsing as an adult.

Unless Obama has done more than talk during a campaign year, (when politicians of every color will say anything to get themselves elected,) about hsing you just cannot assume that he is pro-hsing. He might be pro only while living in a third world country, or he might be only in extreme circumstances, or he might be totally for or against it. Y'all are taking a mighty big leap with this assumption, Obama hsed means Obama is pro-hsing......

So my challenge is point to something anything Obama has done to support or been in favor of hsing before beginning to campaign for president, which he has been doing for at least the last 2 years. Writing in a book about mom tutoring him is not something legislatively. He has been in power at the state level since 96.... Good Luck.

Given that Illinois already has some of the most relaxed homeschooling laws in the country, what "pro-homeschooling" actions would you like to have seen him take as a state senator? Do you feel like there is a need for legislation regarding homeschooling at the state level in Illinois?

Given that Illinois already has some of the most relaxed homeschooling laws in the country, what "pro-homeschooling" actions would you like to have seen him take as a state senator? Do you feel like there is a need for legislation regarding homeschooling at the state level in Illinois?

Actually a friend of mine who lives in Illinois said that Illinois is not relaxed on homeschooling. It is stricter than Indiana.

Holly

You asked for evidence of his support of hs'ing, from outside of the last 2 years. Not sure why the time-frame, but this book's pub date was 10/17/2006 from my quick google research, so I guess that is narrowly outside your 2 year mark (and presumably was written and edited well before that 10/06 date!). :)

Personally, I think a direct, written, clear, statement from the horse's mouth, so to speak, is about as much as I can hope for from any candidate. . . and, personally, the more recent, the better!

I don't want to try to convince anyone of anything. . . One can only follow their own conscience and heart and intellect in making voting choices. I personally find a lot to trust in and hope for in Obama, but that doesn't mean anyone else needs to. . . I am only offering the facts/quotes as I know them to inform those who are interested. If this isn't helpful to you, then please just disregard it.

So, anyway, since you asked, I will requote my own quote from earlier in this thread. If you read this book, or his earlier one, you would find much clear and passionate evidence consistent with these short quotes. These are not sound bites written into a speech to be quoted, but rather small (representative) passages taken from a much deeper and larger written work, and they are consistent with his overall themes and messages. . . The books are well worth the read. . .

Actually, Obama has expressed a clear, supportive, recent opinion about homeschooling. On p. 344 of his 2006 book Audacity of Hope:

" . . . Of course, none of these policies need discourage families from deciding to keep a parent at home, regardless of the financial sacrifices. For some families, that may mean doing without certain material comforts. For others, it may mean home schooling or a move to a community where the cost of living is lower. For some families, it may be the father who stays at home -- although for most families it will still be the mother who serves as the primary caregiver.

Whatever the case may be, such decisions should be honored. If there is one thing that social conservatives have been right about, it's that our modern culture sometimes fails to fully appreciate the extraordinary emotional and financial contributions -- the sacrafices and just plain hard work -- of the stay-at-home mom. . . . I want my daughters to have a choice as to what's best for them and their families. . ."

It has been a few years since I lived in Illinois, but basically you only had to notify your school if you were pulling out. No records/reporting was necessary - not sure you can have fewer requirements than that....

Currently residing in PA - now if you want to talk about regulations take a look at PA's laws.....

Well there is always legislation that can could be written to even better protect hsing and to make it a more favorable choice for more folks. Heck I would love to see it written as a right in the IL state constitution.

Politicians like to do meaningless resolutions acknowledgeing certain groups pet groups. Ya know Tuesday the 14th of June is Purple People Eaters Day, sons are watching Yellow submarine hence the Purple..... but I digress :rolleyes: meaningless honors. We are very organized in IL we do the take the apple pie thing every year on the same day, to Springfield, to the local offices at both the state and local levels. Knowing folks in power in IL because of CAN, and because of politically active and linked folks in my church, and because I held a small political office, I know that these folks are inundated with all kinds of baked goods by hsers of every flavor. Knowing the district Obama is from he might not have gotten that much but there has not even been a recognition from the state floor pro or con for hsing. If Obama were so very pro- hsing he could of at the least made apple pie day be the Home school recognition day for the state. Ya know I would like to thank all the nice hsers who have blessed us all with apple pies and give them a day of recognition..... Nope, nadda, not even a meaningless recognition from the floor of the IL Senate was given by this once hsed man who has such fond memories of being hsed........

He has tho received lots of money in his war chest from the teachers unions and like I posted on the other thread every politician knows which side their bread is buttered on. In IL we might send a lot of baked goods but we do not have an organisation like NEA or NFT that pads war chests. So when legislation that is hotly contested or back by a group that gives, comes up, every politician will think who should they support mom with the apple pie once a year or x large amount of donations, by the NEA, the individuals who run the NEA, and all the folks who belong to the NEA..... That is common political sense that is truly bipartisan. You do not bite the hand that feeds your war chest unless there is a grassroots movement that is politically significantly larger than x amount of money. So the question to ask yourselves is this are hsers across the nation organised enough to be politically significantly larger than x amount of money given by the NEA and NFT?

You asked for evidence of his support of hs'ing, from outside of the last 2 years. Not sure why the time-frame, but this book's pub date was 10/17/2006 from my quick google research, so I guess that is narrowly outside your 2 year mark (and presumably was written and edited well before that 10/06 date!). :)

Personally, I think a direct, written, clear, statement from the horse's mouth, so to speak, is about as much as I can hope for from any candidate. . . and, personally, the more recent, the better!

I don't want to try to convince anyone of anything. . . One can only follow their own conscience and heart and intellect in making voting choices. I personally find a lot to trust in and hope for in Obama, but that doesn't mean anyone else needs to. . . I am only offering the facts/quotes as I know them to inform those who are interested. If this isn't helpful to you, then please just disregard it.

So, anyway, since you asked, I will requote my own quote from earlier in this thread. If you read this book, or his earlier one, you would find much clear and passionate evidence consistent with these short quotes. These are not sound bites written into a speech to be quoted, but rather small (representative) passages taken from a much deeper and larger written work, and they are consistent with his overall themes and messages. . . The books are well worth the read. . .

Hmmmm and how long has he been campaigning for Pres? Sorry to be so jaded but he is a politician and has really been running for president since about 6 months after he gave his famous speech at the democratic convention in 2004. I know Dick Durbin the senior Senator from IL has been dreaming and working for another President from IL, Obama, since then. Do you really think that book was written for any other reason than to introduce him to the American public in a passionate favorable light? See I think his books are propaganda written to help him gain higher office. Why do you think McCain wrote his book for the same reason. Again it goes back to not what they say or write but what they do.... and who is filling their war chest and that goes for both sides of the aisle. I have never been comfortable swallowing as pure truth any form of propaganda but then that is just me.

Edited by RebeccaC