Menu

Feeling a little jittery about September 11 'anniversary' approaching

Blueridge

The Islamic Terrorists would love to attack the USA on September 11th and that is probably the day they would prefer to attack, but they will attack when the opportunity is available to them. If they attack where you live and the damage is very minor, then having water and toilet paper and food and other things on hand will help you for a few days. If the damage they do is major, stocking those things won't do you much good, if it is a long term survival problem.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has just released a report about Islamic Terrorist “chatter†on the Internet, about entering the USA from Mexico. If you saw the UAC (Unaccompanied Alien Children) on TV, going across the Rio Grande on Jet Skis, the Islamic Terrorists also saw that. They are SIA (Special Interest Aliens) and they are far more dangerous. The King of Saudi Arabia has just explained to Europe and the USA that he believes ISIS will be able to attack in Europe and in the USA, within several months.

The probability of there being an attack where you live is extremely minimal, so this is not something you should be worrying about, because there is nothing you can do about it and worrying about it will damage your health, physical and mental.

Because we know terrorism only comes in one color.  :001_rolleyes:   

Hey, in that poster's defense and in the words of both my former teacher and the principal of the Catholic school I attended in middle school, "you have to admit, most Muslims ARE terrorists."  :001_rolleyes:

I just want to say that I am going out to Sam's tomorrow to purchase two or three of the large Nutella jars. Forget disasters (natural or otherwise.) I'm not sure this family will survive the latest hazelnut shortage! :D

I am typically the family worrier, but I agree with the previous posters who have noted that it is pointless to worry about things that are out of your control.

Make sure you keep writing out 'Islamic Terrorist' lest we forget.

'Cause if you're Muslim and you do crappy things, terrorism or religion must be your motive.  Everybody knows that.

I realized that when there was this podiatrist who wanted to attack numerous mosques and Islamic schools in Central Florida awhile back.  He had a freakin' arsenal.  He had bombs.  He had plans drawn up and plans of attack.  He was not charged as a terrorist.  Seriously.   Prosecutors said he did not warrant such a charge.  

"Timers on plastic explosives would go off in 15 minutes, taking down buildings and killing Muslims. Bombs and land mines would detonate in parking lots and playgrounds, killing police and fleeing students….

They found an arsenal: two light anti-armor rockets, a .50-caliber sniper rifle, hand grenades, assorted guns and assault rifles and 20 homemade bombs, among other lethal weapons and magazines and articles on how to build destructive devices."

Also, remember the guy who flew into the IRS building and wrote yet another crazy manifesto?? Not Muslim, so obviously just troubled.  BUT….if he had been Muslim, instant terrorism…everybody knows that.

​For the record, if you're reading this and are not Muslim, then in general, you don't need to worry about Muslim terrorists. By far, their victims are Muslims.  Like 95-99%.  If you are living in the States, you are far more likely to meet a Muslim doctor, engineer, or university professor than a terrorist.  Really.  Not just saying that.  

​Oh, and for the record, between 1980 and 2005, only 6-7% of terrorist attacks in the US were made by Muslims.  (According to the FBI, at least.)  http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/05/muslims-only-carried-out-2-5-percent-of-terrorist-attacks-on-u-s-soil-between-1970-and-2012.html

I'm not worried, as worrying doesn't do much for me or for anyone else.

But I do think a lot more about the folks living in countries who are living every day with terrorism, and wishing we could do more for them. I can only imagine what that is like.

Yeah, I just like to call them 'terrorists'. They come in all shapes, sizes, colours, genders, nationalities and even religions!

Yes.  Would it have been okay for me to talk in my previous post about the 'Christian terrorism/Catholic terrorism/Protestant terrorism' that I grew up with?  

L

Where I live the threat of a terrorist attack is zilch. I live in the middle of nowhere with no important anything near me that would be attacked, in a fairly peaceful country that is in the middle of nowhere.

However ,we regularly have power outages due to things like storm force winds blowing branches over power lines and bushfires. so we always have food in the pantry. As we live a predominantly self sufficient lifestyle and live in a climate where food can be grown year round, we always have lots of fresh vegetables at hand.

I am coming to your house if anything should happen.

I bought three large Cadbury Fruit & Nut bars.

Three large Hershey Bars w/Almonds.  

And One Lindt 85% Dark bar.  I figure that's kind of like medicine in case we get sick.  We also have Monsters, Inc. and Barbie Band-Aids.

We also have a large jar of Nutella (thanks to a previous Nutella hazelnut prices panic thread)….and of course, a giant two pack of Jif peanut butter.  I found out yesterday that you can make a cake using just four eggs and nutella….so if the world does come to an end, I at least have my birthday cake covered.

Remember the old Reeses commercial where the guy's chocolate bar falls into the jar of peanut butter? I see that in our future.  

I think we're set.

You might want to buy a bunch and hoard.  I just read that the hazel nut crop this year didn't do so well.  There is fear that there won't be much available this year.

I just want to say that I am going out to Sam's tomorrow to purchase two or three of the large Nutella jars. Forget disasters (natural or otherwise.) I'm not sure this family will survive the latest hazelnut shortage! :D

I am typically the family worrier, but I agree with the previous posters who have noted that it is pointless to worry about things that are out of your control.

I don't have any concerns that stem directly from a date, but I don't see a downside to having a plan or upside to pretending one is completely helpless.

You know you could be in a car accident, so you use as many precautions as possible.

You know you could get cancer, so you eat well and get suspicious symptoms checked out.

You know you could lose a job, so you save money.

You know hurricanes are dangerous, so you keep supplies on hand.

Sure, it's true that most American's lack the ability to survive a national or even regional disaster with ease, but what exactly IS the downside to taking small measures that are useful in multiple situations?  If I were to stockpile water for a zombie apocalypse, a storm that knocks out power for 48 hours wouldn't leave my children thirsty.  If a flood cuts me off from town, my children won't starve.  If we get snowed in, I could treat basic illnesses and injuries at home.

The only *problem is if <whatever sort of> preparedness takes over daily life the way it's portrayed on television. And, even then, it's *television!  Few people actually give up their every day lives to focus solely on slim possibilities.

This conversation has been very encouraging and helpful to me, so thank you! Yesterday Dh and I went to get some groceries and also bought lots of extra TP and water...and one of Trader Joe's pound chocolate bars. Just that made me feel less stressed lol. I need batteries and candles for the winter anyway, so I will get them now. The cars will get a full gas tank, and I have a plan to get to Aldi this week to stock up on canned meats and pantry goods that I don't usually buy often but can be so handy. All my curriculum is on the shelf and I feel generally more organized from putting just a little more energy into thinking about preparedness. Praying all will be well in the days and months to come!

I'm LDS, so being prepared for anything (natural disaster, job loss, illness, etc.) is what we do.  We have food storage (which is rotated regularly) to last one year, as well as water (most important...and a couple of gallons won't be enough if your water is contaminated and you have no electricity...pretty much a given in an earthquake situation, which is my most likely disaster scenario), cash, medication, etc.

If you want to know what to store to feed your family the basics for a year, based on what we do as Mormons, here's a calculator:  http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm   Be sure to note that food supplies are stored in the proper kinds of containers (example:  flour is not stored in the paper bags it comes in, but in properly sealed cans/containers).  Here's a site that is one of my favorites for food storage and recipes:  http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/

Also note that we are not preparing for a terrorist attack, nuclear fall out, or anything of that sort.  Most often, food storage is used when people face unemployment or other types of financial disaster.  The next frequent use of food storage is for natural disasters.  Help is not going to get to you for at least 72 hours, and you should have 72 hour kits prepared for every member of your family if you live in an area prone to natural disasters.

There are also several companies that sell food storage ready to go with yummy foods that are easy to prepare and store.  Some of my food storage is of this type, some is from my church cannery, and some is from the good old grocery store.  Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Dianne, I wanted to like your post, but I'm out. I've been a bad girl with my likes.

But, I just wanted to say that this is the outlook we have. We live rural and are the last to be serviced when the power goes out. We've had times when it was ten days before the power came back on, and people who move here from the city are always shocked that the water doesn't keep flowing from the tap. Well pumps require electricity, and they are used to being in areas where the outages are handled first. Plus, when the roads go five days with the sheriff telling people NOT to go out unless absolutely necessary, it is good to have a little food to take to the elderly neighbors living on limited, fixed income who have a hard time affording extra groceries and may go a while before the roads are decent enough they feel they can venture to the store.

Something like a terrorist attack? There just is no way to prepare for that, and I think it's better to keep a positive, practical focus, and not let fear get the better of a person.

This conversation has been very encouraging and helpful to me, so thank you! Yesterday Dh and I went to get some groceries and also bought lots of extra TP and water...and one of Trader Joe's pound chocolate bars. Just that made me feel less stressed lol. I need batteries and candles for the winter anyway, so I will get them now. The cars will get a full gas tank, and I have a plan to get to Aldi this week to stock up on canned meats and pantry goods that I don't usually buy often but can be so handy. All my curriculum is on the shelf and I feel generally more organized from putting just a little more energy into thinking about preparedness. Praying all will be well in the days and months to come!

Glad to hear we were helpful!  Just be sure to rotate your various pantry goods - as the seasons change, take stock of what hasn't been used, and come up with recipes that will use it, so it can be replaced with fresh versions.  Canned meats and fish, for example, can make lovely sandwich filling - think tuna or chicken salad - which are particularly nice in the summer, so if you haven't used them in the next few months, they'll make a nice off-the-shelf lunch come the warmer weather.  On the flip side, we are moving into fall foods now - time to use up pantry items that work best with summer foods (things you use in recipes for tomatoes, zukes, peaches, strawberries, etc.) and start thinking about fall foods - apples, winter squash, pumpkin, and root vegetables.