Menu

Am. Heritage Girls

Joyofsixreboot

It totally depends on your individual troop. You'd be probably very comfortable at ours. Do you know her friends' moms? They might be able to give you an idea about what to expect.

I agree, it depends on the troop.  Ours is chartered through my Catholic parish, so we have some catechesis at each meeting, working with some Catholic community organizations for service, and optional monthly Eucharistic adoration.  Non-Catholics are welcome, and some have joined, but it's like sending your kid to a Catholic private school, you know there will be Catholic teaching and culture present.

So what did you think?  We just attended our first meeting tonight as well.  There was religious talk and praying, but it didn't seem overboard.  It is up-front on their website that they expect the girls to be some variety of Judeo-Christian.

The things that would bother me would be if they were talking other religions down or singling any girl out in front of the others re religious differences.

My kids had a blast tonight and I felt pretty good about what I saw.  We'll be joining.

As a non-Christian, we are part of a AHG troop and it is fine, most of the time.  My dd has friends, our leader is very laid-back.  It really depends on the troop.  We tried a different troop before and it was definitely not a good fit, so we transferred and are happy more often than not :)

My dd wants to do this because

1. Two GS troops have folded on her

2. She has friends that do it

Will my moderate to liberal head explode? We are very Christian but not the evangelical conservative flavor. I'm already dreading going to the info meeting tonight.

We are in AHG, so it can be done. But, it *is* fully going to depend upon the flavor of your local troop. When we thought we might be moving a particular place (we didn't move there), I called a troop in the area. Their outreach person told me how they started out with all levels, but reverted to only having younger girls because of some issues with the older girls. He actually told me. "I would hate to say that the girls were unsalvagable, but...." I was totally shocked. We would definitely never join a troop like that. Teen girls have some drama and need loads of guidance. That is normal. To imply that anyone is unsalvagable is crazy.

She had a wonderful time. Everyone was friendly. The video was a little much for me with talk of moral decay and reclaiming femininity but the leaders seemed lower key and the actual program looks very good. We're going to try it.

Very informative about AHG, thank you. What was the age of the girls they were showing this video to?

I don't know which video they showed you.  The one my kids saw was not bad.  Kinda lame IMO but I don't know that the kids were watching it anyway.  :P  Mostly it just said that at AHG you get to do cool stuff.  (Not that my kids would get "moral decay" and "reclaim femininity" anyway ....)

I think you can go on the AHG website and see some of the videos they use.

Like every other group. there are going to be things not everyone agrees with.  It really depends on how much they focus on those things vs. just making it a good experience for the girls.

When the video was watched with our troop the girls were taken elsewhere. We have a fantastic troop, we are grateful for it.

I hope your troop is a wonderful experience for your family.

The girls were there but it was kind of boring so they probably tuned out. It featured Dr. James Dobson. Yea. But overall I think she will like it. No matter what the adults might be planning the girls were hanging out, giggling, playing tag and not worried about " reclaiming" their femininity :)

We are in AHG, so it can be done. But, it *is* fully going to depend upon the flavor of your local troop. When we thought we might be moving a particular place (we didn't move there), I called a troop in the area. Their outreach person told me how they started out with all levels, but reverted to only having younger girls because of some issues with the older girls. He actually told me. "I would hate to say that the girls were unsalvagable, but...." I was totally shocked. We would definitely never join a troop like that. Teen girls have some drama and need loads of guidance. That is normal. To imply that anyone is unsalvagable is crazy.

Did you ask him how he became an adult since they seemed so Children of the Corn?

I wish it had been available when my daughter was that age.  We did Faith Keepers, but from friends who are involved, American Heritage sounds much better.  From the descriptions here, it is exactly what we would have loved!  Do they have something like it for boys?  

http://www.traillifeusa.com/  I think they broke away from Boy Scouts for a lot of the same reasons and similar way that AHG did from Girl Scouts.

Our group has everything from orthodox to catholic to various protestant denominations and evangelicals. We read the bible with some badges. We talk about how to make positive choices and treat others with honor and respect and I talk about the true, the good, and the beautiful (I'm an Explorer leader). We pray to open meetings and our troop shepherd gives the girls the option to choose a religious award that reflects their family's church/practice.

We seldom/never talk politics. We help with food banks and church camps and creek cleanups and kids parades and veterans parades. We ask parents to sign that they either do agree with the AHG statement of faith, or that they disagree but agree to respect it while participating in AHG events. Either way, if they'll work, we'll have 'em!

How would that fit?

Our local troop is at a Baptist (not southern baptist but a more laid back variety) church and it is very laid back, I would think most anyone who is Christian would fit in just fine. I've seen some talk about modesty but no specific recommendations and I've not seen guilt trips but encouragement. We haven't had our first meeting yet but we had our first leader meeting, I haven't heard anything about any video. Our leaders are all of the same opinion that we try to be thoughtful of the beliefs of everyone and not ever do anything that is against anyone's beliefs.

Mrs. Mungo I would stay far away from such a troop.I'm working with our older girls and they are awesome.

What do they *do*? Do they go camping and whatnot? If not, is there a girl's organization that does?

Our AHG troop does badge work, service projects, social gatherings, camping...  Actually, our girls just completed a camping badge, including an overnight camping trip with night hiking!  

What is the AHG statement of faith ?

Here it is:

We believe that there is One Triune God – the Father, Jesus Christ His one and only Son, and the Holy Spirit – Creator of the universe and eternally existent. We believe the Holy Scriptures (Old/New Testament) to be the inspired and authoritative Word of God. We believe each person is created in His image for the purpose of communing with and worshipping God. We believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit who enables us to live a Godly life. We believe that each individual is called to love the Lord their God with all their heart, mind, soul and strength; and to love their neighbors as themselves. We believe that each individual is called to live a life of purity, service, stewardship and integrity.

As I said, we have people say that either they agree or that they disagree but will respect the statement while participating in AHG events. Theology per se seldom comes up, but we have folks who celebrate easter on different dates, have/don't have confirmation, etc. Not a problem.

Our first charter org. was a lutheran church and we included *their* statement of faith in our troop handbook with the same request to agree/disagree & respect. Our second charter org. is a non-denominational christian church without a specific statement of faith, so we're using the one from the AHG handbook.

Our troop didn't use the video for our kickoff events because it was too cheesy! We just used a slide show (so easy to do on a mac!) of photos from our own troop. Better to see the real action with recent pics. We didn't actually have the girls watching it that night, just parents. The girls made sundaes and played games. :)

Each troop definitely has it's own personality. That comes from the leadership and perhaps some from the chartering organization. 

Our troop is charted by a Lutheran church and we have girls who attend a wide variety of Protestant Christian churches and some who don't go anywhere. We have several girls with single parents and people from various ethnic backgrounds. Our troop is very basic on the Christian stuff, but it is an integral part of who we are as a troop. We do community service and outdoor activities like camping, archery, and canoeing plus badgework. My dd loves the variety in the badges. Her favorites have been cake decorating and horseback riding! We have close connection to two BSA troops, so we get some great Eagle Scout dads to help with some of the outdoor stuff.

If you are considering AHG, borrow a handbook and read through it to get a sense of how it works, what the badges are etc. That was helpful to me as a newbie. Also, find out what your daughter's age group (unit)  and the troop as a whole did last year in badges, service, camping and other events and ask if that is a typical year. 

If you are considering AHG, borrow a handbook and read through it to get a sense of how it works, what the badges are etc. That was helpful to me as a newbie. Also, find out what your daughter's age group (unit)  and the troop as a whole did last year in badges, service, camping and other events and ask if that is a typical year. 

I agree.

Mrs. Mungo I would stay far away from such a troop.I'm working with our older girls and they are awesome.

Oh, I agree. We've been involved with AHG since my middle dd was in 1st grade, she is in 11th this year. :) We didn't wind up moving there, so it wasn't an issue.

What do they *do*? Do they go camping and whatnot? If not, is there a girl's organization that does?

Yes, they camp. Last year we had girls who earned the Outdoor Skills badge (which includes basic orienteering, knots, building a shelter, etc), the Hiking badge (which includes an overnight hiking trip, car camping doesn't count) and the Camping badge.

Girl Scouts? This sounds like an Christian Girl Scoud (GS accepts all faiths and also agnostics/atheists).

AHG isn't set up or run like Girl Scouts. AHG is a Christian organization.

AHG is more like BSA for girls. They are more outdoor and service oriented than GSU. <snip> (If something ever happened to her AHG she'd jump right into BSA's Ventures program without giving GSU a moment's consideration.)

I agree.

Our group has everything from orthodox to catholic to various protestant denominations and evangelicals. We read the bible with some badges. We talk about how to make positive choices and treat others with honor and respect and I talk about the true, the good, and the beautiful (I'm an Explorer leader). We pray to open meetings and our troop shepherd gives the girls the option to choose a religious award that reflects their family's church/practice.

We seldom/never talk politics. We help with food banks and church camps and creek cleanups and kids parades and veterans parades. We ask parents to sign that they either do agree with the AHG statement of faith, or that they disagree but agree to respect it while participating in AHG events. Either way, if they'll work, we'll have 'em!

How would that fit?

I love that- I wish it was an option for most things requiring a statement of faith.