Menu

In defense of Mexico City (or why you should visit)

Amira

I just got home from spending three weeks in Mexico City and I can't help posting here to encourage others to go there. It was our second visit while I tagged along with Dh for work (we currently live in Guadalajara, about 6 hours from Mexico City) and we've spent a total of one month there. So here are my opinions about the city.

First, the reasons why people don't go to Mexico City. I think the big three are traffic, pollution, and safety (along with a lack of knowledge about how amazing the city is, but I'll get to that). Traffic is bad in the city, unquestionably. But there are lots of other transportation options that I'll talk about below and we rarely spent time stuck in traffic. The pollution is much better than it used to be and breathing in Mexico City isn't worse than other large cities. Finally, safety. You probably don't hear much that's nice about Mexico right now, but I felt entirely comfortable in the city. I was out on the streets and riding the subway by myself and never felt like I was in danger. There are, of course, less safe parts of the city, as in any big city, and you shouldn't do stupid things like wearing flashy jewlery and watches and waving your money around, but problems are easy to avoid.

Second, I'm an experienced traveler and expat who knows how to deal with cities and be safe. Mexico City could be overwhelming if you're used to a more rural location and don't travel much. The following is just my perspective and I think there are many, many North Americans who could enjoy the city. If you think it sounds fun to visit New York City, you can handle Mexico City.

So here's why you should go:

Pyramids. I've been to Egypt twice and have seen the pyramids there, not just in Giza, but other parts too. Teotihuacan is at least as impressive as the great pyramids in Egypt, and there are so many other archaeological sites near Mexico City to explore too. The sites are well-maintained (if not always well-marked) and easy to visit. If you have any interest in history or archaeology, Mexico City is a great, overlooked place to go.

Food. Mexico City has some of the best street food in the world. I'm not really a restaurant person, but there are so many choices of places to eat. I could go on and on about the food in Mexico,but I'll spare you.

Art, music, theatres, museums. There are so many cultural institutions in Mexico City. Art museums galore, both world class and specifically Mexican, concerts all the time, galleries, and theaters. I visited at least 20 museums in our two visits and have a list twice as long that I wish I could have gone to. The Anthropology Musuem is a must-see, along with so many others. I especially like the Museo de Arte Populares.

Neighborhoods. I loved exploring different neighborhoods on food, especially the Centro Historico, Coyoacan, and San Angel. Mexico is always interesting to walk around.

And so much more. It would be hard to run out of things to do there.

Logistics:

Transportation. The tourist areas are walkable, public transportation is reliable, you can take taxis, or you can drive yourself if you are extremely patient (it's faster to walk at rush hour). I used all those options and liked the Metro best for longer distances and walked the rest of the time. The Metro is awesome.

Spanish. You don't really need much Spanish to do Mexico City. It's probably good to know numbers and some polite phrases, but don't let language keep you from visiting.

Ease. For a lot of North Americans who want to go someplace international or different, Europe is the choice. But Mexico City is a shorter flight, cheaper in just about every way, welcoming to children, and, best of all, no jet lag. You don't have to lose any extra time because you're exhausted.

Hotels. There are lots of hotels in different price ranges. It's easy to find safe, affordable options.

I know this is a weird post here, but I just think Mexico City is so wonderful and so overlooked that it needs cheerleaders wherever it possible. I promise I'm not getting paid by the Mexican Tourism Board or anything like that. :)

I've always wanted to go.  The only place I've ever been in Mexico is Monterrey.  

Hopefully, I'll make it there some time soon.

If you are planning to go, I've seen a few episodes of Rick Bayless's PBS cooking show where he's down in Mexico, talking about various street food…and I always get so very hungry.  LOL

I agree completely. My sister lived in Mexico City for 8 years, and DH and I took our kids, ages 3, 5, 6, & 8 for two weeks. We absolutely loved it and never felt unsafe. We hiked to the top of the Pyramid of the Sun, loved our afternoon at the Zocalo, and spent hours in the Anthropology Museum. We also had a lovely afternoon on the canals of Xochimilco (spelling?). My sister has since moved, but I would go back in a heartbeat!

+1 for this...   When I was incredibly young and an airline employee, I took my mother on a trip to Mexico (Acapulco and then to Mexico City).  I had not read up on what there was to see in/near the city, before the trip. We went on an all day tour, which included the Pyramids, which were the first Pyramids I had ever seen and I was not expecting to see Pyramids.  The Anthropology Museum is also outstanding and I have been there on several trips to the city over the years. There are SO many things to see, in/near the city.

The one thing I would NOT recommend is for someone to drive there. If you do drive into the city, park your car in a secure parking lot and use taxis or mass transportation.  

After I saw the Pyramids near the city, I have also been to the Pyramids on the Yucatan Peninsula, about 2 or 3 hours west of Cancun, several times, and what happened there is awesome.

Wow - thank you for posting this!

Is there a particular time of year is that better than others to visit - weather or events or such?

There's not really a bad time to go. The elevation is about 7000 feet so it never gets too hot. Most places have neither A/C nor heating. The warmest time of year is from February till the rain starts around June, but it'll be dry then. The rainy season is from June through about September. It will rain hard, but generally not very long and I think it's not too hard to avoid the rain. Some people don't like it though. I think fall is the best time because everything is still green, the weather is pleasant, and there's not too much rain.

The city is a lot quieter the week before and after Easter, and from just before Christmas to January 5th. People say it's actually not too bad to drive then because many locals leave town for the holidays.

The Day of the Dead (November 1st and 2nd) is always worth seeing in Mexico, although Mexico City isn't the very best place for it. There are always different events going on in and around the city. I honestly don't think you can pick a bad time to go, and you can find a huge variety of things to do no matter what time you choose.

We spent the past year living on the Pacific coast of Mexico (Bucerias, about 30 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta). My youngest was born there. The security issues we had were less than what we deal with in San Diego. which is to say, very little. Definitely don't let fear keep you from visiting a wonderful country and getting to know a welcoming and interesting people.

I have seen ads in magazines for Mexico City about how many museums they have, and my grandma seems to believe that Mexico is the best country on earth to visit. I really enjoyed watching Henry Louis Gates's show on Africans in Latin America; in the section on Mexico, including Mexico City, he went to a lovely museum. 

I have no clue if I'll ever make it there, but it sounds delightful! Thanks, Amira.

I spent 8 weeks in Mexico City in my late 20s.  I lived with a Mexican family and studied Spanish during the day.  It was a program through the school where I was working and I went during my break.

I remember it fondly.

I personally did not think the pyramids rivaled Egypt (I have been there too) but they were interesting.

I love D.F.! My sister lived there for 5 years and I went by myself, with the dh and then the kids as each one arrived. It's a crazy, beautiful, sentimental, monumental, adventurous,contradictory, verdant place.

We visited all of the mentioned places, plus we did a cross-Mexico drive with a 10 month old. It was so cool...by sister wouldn't let my obvious-looking gringo husband out of the car or speak when we stopped places for fear of getting charges as gringos! My fav memory is sitting at a mom and pop outdoor cafe with the first 2 blond kids we had...and seeing people stop to look at the blond hair on the babies.

I'd go back in a minute.

Now I'm feeling all sentimental!

I spent 8 weeks in Mexico City living with family friends when I was 15.  Second all those ideas of places to visit. Went to Teotihuacan, Tula,  Xochimilco, the Anthropology Museum, the Ballet Folklorico, Zocalo. Also drove up Popcatapetl (I was 15, so I didn't have to drive myself - scary drivers there!) My only regret is that I didn't get to climb the Pyramid of the Sun because my mother forbid it.  This is because when she was there once in her early 20's or late teens (she has visited many times; she was an exchange student; those are the family friends), she climbed the Pyramid of the Sun, ran up too fast, got heat stroke and/or altitude sickness, fainted, and had to be carried down.  So I couldn't go up.  Because even after I'd heard that story my whole life, it might still happen to me. :001_rolleyes:    She didn't mention the Pyramid of the Moon, so I climbed that instead. :lol: