Menu

What's the best reading program you have used?

jmc1970

My first 2 children learned to read just fine using Hooking on Phonics. I can already tell that child #3 will need something else. What is the best reading program you have used to teach your child (ren) how to read and what about it did you find was very effective?  Thanks!

I'm using "The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading" and I really like it.  I have tried McRuffy and LifePacs (from Alpha Omega) in the past.

I like;

-that it's simple (no pictures, no busy work, no prep, just open and go)

-that it's short.  (I've never taken longer then 30 min to do a lesson)

-it's working (once I got to a point where he was totally lost and I just backed up five lessons, did them over and we have been fine ever since)

- it's cheap (even if it had not worked I only spent $20)

- seems complete (we haven't finished it yet but I expect that he will read very well by the time we finish)

Small dislikes;

-I wish that it had a few questions to help review comprehension as it moves further along (but those are easy enough to come up with one my own)

- I wish the childs text was just a little larger (because he has fat, chubby little boy fingers :-)

So we've tried all of the following at my house:

- Teach a Child to Read with Children's Books by Mark Thogmartin

- Alphaphonics

- Phonics Pathways

- 100 Easy Lessons

- Games for Reading by Peggy Kaye

Every child is different, but my favorite combination has been Alphaphonics with Games for Reading.  Alphaphonics is simple and to the point.  Adding the games just makes it more fun and relaxing for the kid who's learning.  YDS and I are going to try IEW PAL Reading this year as well.  I think he's going to love all the games and stickers, which is why I chose it.  If it doesn't work, we'll go back to the Alphaphonics with Games for Reading. :)

Two of my children taught themselves, spoiling me. My middle child decided to take the long, slow route to reading. We've used a few different programs that helped push us further along, but what seems to have worked best for him is R&S Reading and Phonics. Yes, it includes sight words in the Reading, but I just explain those words phonetically when introducing them. Those words being introduced early have made it easier to jump into real books and give my son some enjoyable reading and build confidence.

I like that the phonics is thorough, there is writing involved to cement the words (but not too much writing), and there is reading drill on the side of the phonics page (this is supposed to be timed, but I don't time it).

My main problem with the curriculum, and it's a very small problem, is that sometimes words not typically used by 6-7 year olds in normal American culture are included, and my son sometimes wants to argue that they aren't words. :lol: But part of that is his idiosyncrasy. I am kept on my toes defining words sometimes. We had an argument over the word "starch" the other day. I have him two definitions, and he still claimed it wasn't a word. :tongue_smilie: I know I've used the word in reference to food around him. The ironing version, which is what R&S is referring to, is harder to explain to him, since I don't even iron clothes, let alone own starch to use on them! :lol: There have occasionally been words that I wasn't even sure what they meant, but those are typically in the drill section, not the picture clue portion of the lesson.

We have done a number of different things and this year I'm set to try something else, mostly because I feel confident in my ability to teach children to read so I like trying out different programs.

The two that I liked the best were:

Phonics Pathways: direct, simple, easy to get done, and effective

Logic of English Foundations: very hands on for the child, fun, variety of activities each day to keep the child engaged, very very effective, expensive compared to Phonics Pathways.

Three of mine did very well with Phonics Pathways, adding in writing, dictation, copywork part way through the book.  Love that book. 

One boy required a combo of Phonics Pathways and Word Mastery (excellent program that is free to download on Don Potter's site), and then CLE's Learning to Read before he made any headway.   He just needed copious amounts of practice and exposure before some things made sense to him.  

We use All About Reading and love it.  I like that it's scripted, but in a natural way.  Some programs are so awkward and it doesn't flow.  I like that we move at our own pace and there aren't any new methods or markings to learn.  I also love that it incorporates other skills, like rhyming, comprehension, etc.  It's also fun and the kids enjoy it.  The only drawback is the price.  I'll be using it for more than one kid, so it works out, but I would probably have tried something else if it was only for one child. 

Oh my....I have used so many over the years (even though I only have 3 kids, :lol: ...but my 2nd one was a hard nut to crack and I had to experiment A LOT).  Of all the programs I've used, my top 3 favorites are Reading Made Easy, Alphabet Island, and McRuffy.  My most favorite is probably Reading Made Easy.  Had I found that one earlier I wouldn't have had to keep trying more. 

I started off teaching my 5 y.o. first child with Phonics Pathways, with the supplemental Readings Pathways (word pyramids), Phonics Boosters games, and Bob books.  I like all of them and would recommend all of them.  I particularly like the way Phonics Pathways teaches blending skills from left to right.  We have kept that technique.  But about halfway through K, I could tell we needed something else.  I think we had only gotten up to about page 69 (about 1st grade level).  She needed more practice, but was sick of the long list of words in PP and had memorized the Bob books, so it was difficult to keep using them for practice (I wasn't sure if she was reading or reciting memorized material).  I knew I need more handholding about how to teach the skills incrementally, and she needed a greater variety of practice.  I didn't want to be hunting all over for additional reading material that matched the skills she was working on.  We switched to the significantly more expensive AAR and have been very happy with it.  We are almost finished with AAR 1.  She finds the more frequent drill/review with the phonogram cards and word cards helpful and easier than reading a list of words (I think the larger font helps).  There is a bit more variety:  sometimes a short lesson on new material with tiles on the white board (not our favorite), a little game, the fluency worksheets (the most difficult part for her, and they are very similar to the entire Phonics Pathways book), and reading stories out of the readers.  It teaches very incrementally and gives a lot of opportunities for practice with mixed review.  I see her systematically reviewing and practicing the skills she has already learned.  She also enjoys the stories in the readers, and I like not having to hunt for supplemental reading material.  Finally, a completely ridiculous reason I like the program is it has a chart and my daughter gets to put a sticker on after she finishes each lesson.  Sometimes it takes several days for us to finish a fluency worksheet, but I feel very motivated to push through and get that sticker!  Hope that helps.  Best of luck in finding a program that works for your child!  Warmly, Konglish

My favorite program is whichever is currently giving me some progress with oldest DD! :D

Dancing Bears has been so easy to use; it really boosted DD's confidence and reading level.

Before that, I had a deep appreciation for R&S Phonics, which got DD finally able to blend 2-3 letter sounds.

Right now, we're trying out some High Noon materials. There's potential there for "favorite status"...but it depends if DD responds to it well.

We did a couple of levels of I See Sam (so fun to read), and then worked through all of Progressive Phonics (also fun).

We could have done it with just Progressive Phonics.

Both are available free for printing.

These worked well for a struggler and more typical learner.

We use All About Reading and love it.  I like that it's scripted, but in a natural way.  Some programs are so awkward and it doesn't flow.  I like that we move at our own pace and there aren't any new methods or markings to learn.  I also love that it incorporates other skills, like rhyming, comprehension, etc.  It's also fun and the kids enjoy it.  The only drawback is the price.  I'll be using it for more than one kid, so it works out, but I would probably have tried something else if it was only for one child. 

Ditto to all of the above!  I've taught 4 kids to read - starting with the first one in 1996 - and this is by far my favorite learn to read program.  Excellent!!