Menu

Ordo Amoris blog shutting down

Whoa! What's up with that?

Why delete it? If she doesn't want to keep posting just do a final post saying goodbye, but leave it up for others to read!

Ugh.

She indicated in a post in the comments section that she wasn't leaving it up for personal reasons that she won't  get into.  

It does make me sad, but I feel selfish about being sad. She had a blog before AO that was deleted, so it isn't entirely surprising. It is funny to me, though, how much I start to feel like I'm entitled to someone's writing when I get invested in reading a blog, and how indignant I feel when someone posts a goodbye post

You can often access archives on archive.org , but, using the Firefox extension FlashGot Mass Downloader, it appears I downloaded everything with one click. Each month is coming up as its own HTML page, and (I downloaded everything, to be safe) the folder containing everything is 74 MB but each month is about 200-300 KB.

Chrome has something called SimpleGet, but I haven't used it.

(ETA: I accidentally misspelled the extension name above but it's correct now)

I vaguely recall that she has a chapter-by-chapter summary of a classical education book. It's not Climbing Parnassus. I will search and reply.

Btw, Stripe, thank you for that tip about Firefox. I will try it from my computer tonight.

BTW here is a summary of what I did, and it seems to have worked, but be sure to check yours! (Note: I have Windows 7 so I am not sure how it works for any other system.)

I opened her page in the firefox browser, then right clicked on a random spot on the page (not a link) and selected "FlashGot All" (or you could use control + F3).

A window pops up in order to choose what you want. I clicked the box for "choose all items by default."

Select your destination folder (I created a new folder) -- everything will be downloaded there, organized by month. You will also get other things like image files and other things linked, but I just did everything. As soon as you click OK, it starts downloading to the folder. 

I opened her page in the firefox browser, then right clicked on a random spot on the page (not a link) and selected "FlashGot All" (or you could use control + F3).

A window pops up in order to choose what you want. I clicked the box for "choose all items by default."

Select your destination folder (I created a new folder) -- everything will be downloaded there, organized by month. You will also get other things like image files and other things linked, but I just did everything. As soon as you click OK, it starts downloading to the folder. 

It didn't work well on my computer. I have about 33 MB of files with no file extensions and no sub-folders. I don't think it has downloaded all the files. Anyway, it was worth a try. Thank you for the help.

It didn't work well on my computer. I have about 33 MB of files with no file extensions and no sub-folders. I don't think it has downloaded all the files. Anyway, it was worth a try. Thank you for the help.

Hmm, I don't know what happened. Sorry, ladies. It worked without much effort on my part. I don't think I have any subfolders, though.

Thank you. Now I'm turned on to a blog that won't be anymore! So you are saying I can read this entire blog if I search for it archived? Because NOW I'm interested.

I was proposing either using the archive.org version (which could in theory be deleted) or download your own copy using the FlashGot extension in Firefox.

I managed to get the extension and then download my copy using your tutorial, Stripe, thank you very much! It is disorganized, but after deleting a bunch of extra stuff, there remains about 52 MB of good stuff in there (originally about 80). It's downloaded by tags and by archives, so every post is probably doubled. Anyway, I think I can search on my computer for certain things as well, like "freeborn" to bring up the article recommended above.

Thanks for the heads up. This blog was definitely on my To Read list and I'm sad that such a good resource for the community is being taken down for some reason that none of us know. I hope these "personal reasons" are that she's going to write a book or something. I have no problem paying for someone's quality content but to see the quality content just go poof seems like such a loss.

Dangit!!!! I finally got Firefox installed so I could use that save extension, and NOOOO! It's already down.... 

Did anyone happen to save the Norms & Nobility stuff? A lot of the stuff looked great and interesting, but THAT was what I really really wanted.... Boo.