Menu

Well, it's official. Caffeine is critical to my morning routine.

Seasider

I'm sure there are 48,792 people on the forums who could/would confirm that. But I really wanted to try to give it up.

I could work past the headaches. But I cannot work past the day-long sluggishness.

I can survive no caffing in the afternoon, but without a morning wake up cup or two, I accomplish very little. So I see a cute new little percolator in my future...

And there is likely nothing bad about that. :) Are you using organic coffee? Non-organic is grown with a lot of pesticides. I know it's more expensive but perhaps worth it.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

Y'know Liz, a year or so ago I remember having a conversation here about organic coffee. The bulletproof recipe came up then, but I've never tried it. Thanks for the reminder. Since I am typically the only coffee drinker in the house, perhaps organic coffee would be a good thing to splurge on. If there is such thing as half caff or low caff organic I think that would be enough to get me by.

Y'know Liz, a year or so ago I remember having a conversation here about organic coffee. The bulletproof recipe came up then, but I've never tried it. Thanks for the reminder. Since I am typically the only coffee drinker in the house, perhaps organic coffee would be a good thing to splurge on. If there is such thing as half caff or low caff organic I think that would be enough to get me by.

First off, the title of this thread gave me a little chuckle :lol:

Re half caff...yes, there is such a thing. I've seen it a WFs in organic form. I drink organic decaf. in a very dark roast. Dh who drinks caf always comments on the strength of my decaf. When I take a sip of his it often tastes too weak for me. I use a bodum single serve and then heat up some 1/2 and 1/2 on the stove, pour some into my decaf and froth the rest with an aerolatte. Perfect cup everytime!

I hear you! If I don't have caffeine of some kind I HAVE to take a nap in the afternon. It's pathetic.

I'm "off" it now, but I'd really like to find something to replace my usual caffeine fix. I've looked into trying tea, but have been holding off because the initial investment.

I hear you! If I don't have caffeine of some kind I HAVE to take a nap in the afternon. It's pathetic.

I'm "off" it now, but I'd really like to find something to replace my usual caffeine fix. I've looked into trying tea, but have been holding off because the initial investment.

Curious what you mean by initial investment?  You could start out with tea bags and making tea by the cup.  My British and Canadian friends would be :svengo: reading that, but it's all you really need to start. 

I didn't start drinking coffee till I was in my late 30's.  Couldn't stand the stuff and always drank tea.  But then I started hanging out in coffeehouses; lattes were my gateway drug.  Now, I drink 2-3 cups a day, starting in the morning and ending in the late afternoon.

I self medicate with coffee.  I'm scatterbrained enough without my coffee that skipping it isn't really a feasible option.   Two cups in the morning, 1 preferably mid afternoon (which usually gets skipped), and at least 1 in the evening is my normal pattern.

There is a lot that's wrong with coffee. I am aware of all or most of it. I have been trying to give that crapola up ever since I succeeded in getting rid of the cancer sticks almost a decade ago.

I still haven't done it but if I ever figure out how, I'll tell you.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Seasider)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Gotta go pour myself another cup of that hideous meth lite garbage that is probably what makes me so mean in the first place now because there's no way I could keep up with a six year old if I didn't. :(

My Christmas present from my boys this year was a coffee maker and 22yods teaching 6yods how to use it so he could make my first cup in the morning and bring it to me in bed. I seriously believe that if Fischer Price came up with a way for toddlers to safely do the same, that we would see a SERIOUS reduction of child abuse cases.

There are a as many reports bemoaning the evils of coffee as there are praising its antioxidant and other beneficial effects. What seems to be interesting is that in can have positive effects on people with ADHD and help them focus. I'd like to see more brain scans to study this further.

Yea, my special ed teacher friend said that she always gave the kids a high caffeine soda or a sip of coffee to see if it would help before recommending ADHD meds. I have hyper teens and start letting them drink coffee on their 13th birthday, even though dd didn't like it and preferred tea.

Oh my gosh, y'all are cracking me up!

I attempted the give up because I was taking in too much caffeine throughout the day, resulting in poor sleep and heartburn. I am the only one in my house who regularly drinks morning coffee, so if I make enough in a regular pot to taste good (anything less than about 6 cups in an automatic drip cup tastes yucky), and then I end up drinking all of it. Someone (surely a visiting college kid) lost my little refillable pod for the Keurig. For a plethora of reasons I do not purchase ore filled [ETA Ha! I meant to say PRE filled, what a Freudian autocorrect!] k cups. If I had free reign over my schedule, I might enjoy the bulletproof or French press coffee, but honestly, I don't want to spend more time making a cup than the time it takes me to drink it (plus I am usually trying to do a bunch of stuff at once and I'm not alone in the kitchen). So, I just thought it might be easier to give it up completely. It's not!

Two weeks ago I cold-brewed a batch of grounds and made coffee concentrate. That was actually pretty good, I could put a little in a mug and add hot water from the Keurig. Then one of my teens discovered it was great for iced coffee. So, that's no good - it took too much time and wasn't cost effective.

Anyway, when I think back to my favorite way to have coffee, it was when I had a little plug-in percolator. I could make small serving sizes but it still tasted good. So that plus organic coffee will be my next step.

Organic is usually fair trade too, so that mitigates a lot of the effect our addiction has on others anyway. I'm at the stage of parenting where I'd be happy with an intravenous drip, although I do enjoy a nice capucchino or mocha once in awhile.

I could work past the headaches. But I cannot work past the day-long sluggishness.

On the other hand, sleeping at night is a mind blowing experience. Who knew it felt this good to go to bed at 11pm and wake up 7am?? In the last 2 weeks I've gone from at least 4 shots of espresso a day (in 2 lattes) to 2 of 'half caf' and then full decaf. The morning sluggishness has been more than offset by sleep improvements. I am still battling the headaches, though.

Yesterday, however, I was out and had a real coffee at 4pm. I was awake until 2am - my new caffeine free system couldn't handle the caffeine at all. I'm probably going to go back to half-cad or even quarter-caf at home so my system doesn't completely freak out when it meets a cup of real coffee!

I hear ya with drinking a whole pot of auto drip.  I've moved on to making espresso on the stove top and warming milk for a latte. There's enough punch in the espresso that I don't feel any need for a second cup, and it's very quick to make my one cup. I boil water for herbal tea if I want something warm to drink later in the day.

There's no investment past the tea. (This is coming from a person who owns lots of tea paraphernalia.) even if you buy loose tea you can just brew it in a measuring cup and strain it into your mug through a soup strainer.

There's no investment past the tea. (This is coming from a person who owns lots of tea paraphernalia.) even if you buy loose tea you can just brew it in a measuring cup and strain it into your mug through a soup strainer.

What?!? I thought all that paraphernalia was necessary! I didn't realize you could keep it simple. I don't have any where to buy locally, so I'd have to order online.

What?!? I thought all that paraphernalia was necessary! I didn't realize you could keep it simple. I don't have any where to buy locally, so I'd have to order online.

I don't know where you live, of course, but... you don't have a grocery store that carries tea?  

It takes about 4 weeks to get off caffine and you realize how crappy caffine actually makes you feel. It makes you tired from morning till evening, it messes with getting a good night sleep which leaves you needing that morning fix more then ever. Ive been off it for 4-5 months now and I can tell you the few (3-4) times ive had caffine. Feel like total crap the next day. That stuff really is a nasty drug and you dont realize how much it messes with your life. Its not worth it but you dont realize it when your on that caffine high and feeling good.

It takes about 4 weeks to get off caffine and you realize how crappy caffine actually makes you feel. It makes you tired from morning till evening, it messes with getting a good night sleep which leaves you needing that morning fix more then ever. Ive been off it for 4-5 months now and I can tell you the few (3-4) times ive had caffine. Feel like total crap the next day. That stuff really is a nasty drug and you dont realize how much it messes with your life. Its not worth it but you dont realize it when your on that caffine high and feeling good.

I am so, so appreciative of this post. Thank you for your time.

Just start with grocery store tea bags. Try a variety pack. It's hot water over leaves. You can keep it very very simple.