Menu

Very graphic videos on facebook?!

indigomama

I know there are a lot of Facebook vents on here, and most the time I don't have a problem with facebook. It helps us keep in touch with family and friends all over the world. But this morning a distant relative posted a very very graphic video of an accident scene. Supposedly, it's a warning about texting and driving, but it was horrible. People on the road, dead and dying! 

Why would anyone post that, and doesn't it violate some rules?!

Of course there are lots of disturbing or upsetting videos on Facebook. Anything online can go on Facebook.

As long as their is a warning, I don't think it's a problem.

I generally don't click ones unless it is to pay witness to a social justice atrocity.

Seeing beheadings and car crashes, no thanks, I don't feel the need to watch someone die.

There are tons & tons more than there used to be because of the trend for all Russians to use dash cameras (to avoid insurance fraud which is a huge problem there).

Of course there are lots of disturbing or upsetting videos on Facebook. Anything online can go on Facebook.

I generally don't click ones unless it is to pay witness to a social justice atrocity.

Seeing beheadings and car crashes, no thanks, I don't feel the need to watch someone die.

Well, i have never seen a disturbing video on Facebook before. And I didn't click on it. When I am scrolling through my feed, videos just start playing. I stopped it as soon as realized what is was. I couldn't even watch it. These poor people are all mangled and moaning and ....dying.

I also have a huge problem with autoplay.  If you can get the hang of scrolling through your feed with the cursor way off to the side, you can mainly keep the videos from autoplaying.  (mainly.  Not always.)  Our bandwidth is a trickle at bets and when autoplay started, we went rhoug a month's bandwidth in less than a week.  Boy, was I mad!

Yes I don't really see any reason for it to not be allowed on facebook if it came with a warning, but the auto play would piss me off. If I thought it was a little too graphic I would remind the poster that if they are friends with children they could burn some serious bridges if one of their parents saw they posted something like that

I think I have seen that footage and I believe it is fake, though disgusting. I actually didn't realize I could turn off that auto-play feature, but I definitely will.

I'm pretty over a lot of what people put on Facebook. I enjoy it for catching up with old friends/schoolmates, and for the daily pics of my grandkids (which I could certainly have my dd send me directly, and she usually does), but honestly, if I wanted to know of every horrible thing going on every minute, I'd watch the news more often.

That sounds like the anti-texting commercials they showed to all the juniors in my daughter's high school before they could get parking passes.  It was very very graphic, one part had a little kid crying wondering why daddy wouldn't wake up.  ugh.

It was clear it was a commercial/reenactment.  Obviously all these people didn't have cameras in their cars while driving, and submitted their footage to be put into one video.

The reason for making and posting graphic videos like the one you are describing is to get people's attention and beat them over the head with the message that texting and driving is dangerous--kind of like the graphic videos we had to watch in driver's ed.

I guess I'm the outlier. If FB is 13 and older, and kids can start driving at 15.5 (around here) I think it's a good warning. Some countries have stronger more graphic PSAs than the US does. It's important for people who drive to see what the outcomes can be. 

I think the one with the dad not waking up might have been the don't-text-and-drive one from Wales that made the rounds a few years back? It was terrifying.

FB is what it is. I am not surprised at what turns up. If one friend seems to get on a kick with that kind of stuff, I block them from my feed page.

The real problem I have with this kind of thing is gramma emailing it to my 9 and 11 year olds. I had to chat with her about that.

There are tons & tons more than there used to be because of the trend for all Russians to use dash cameras (to avoid insurance fraud which is a huge problem there).

For whatever reason, I don't need to press play on the videos for them to roll. I'm not sure why. I saw the same video in my feed as the OP - it was rolling immediately when I scrolled down.

Glad to know I can turn off autoplay, thank you. Going to do that right now. It wasn't that it was just blood and guts graphic, it was horrible to see them with their bodies all awkward on the ground, with them moaning and barely breathing. It was disturbing. And like I said, most people I know don't usually post things like that. But if she continues, I will block her.

I think I have seen that footage and I believe it is fake, though disgusting. I actually didn't realize I could turn off that auto-play feature, but I definitely will.

I'm pretty over a lot of what people put on Facebook. I enjoy it for catching up with old friends/schoolmates, and for the daily pics of my grandkids (which I could certainly have my dd send me directly, and she usually does), but honestly, if I wanted to know of every horrible thing going on every minute, I'd watch the news more often.

I agree... the other annoying thing is the unasked for "motherly" advice.... ya know. those poster things that remind us not to leave our pets in cars, or that our pets (or now Vets) don't like fireworks... yeah, it's not that I want to be insensitive- but I just find those things annoying.  I've already got a busy body in real life- I don't need FB doing it too.

As far as reenactments on film, here's something that was totally freaky. I passed the local high school one morning and there was a horrible wreck with a dead body through the windshield and partially on the hood. It was an awful scene.

Turns out it was an accident reenactment they put on every year before prom. Freaked. Me. Out.

First, you can turn off auto-play on your own Facebook in the settings.

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10201191931388078

Second, report it, if you think it is worthy of reporting.

Third, if the person posts a lot of things like that, block their posts from your newsfeed.

https://www.facebook.com/help/218728138156311

Just quoting because it seems like a lot of people didn't see this. You can turn off the auto play in your settings.

I would like to be able to delete all of the "Suggested Posts" and "Interesting Things Daily".  Some of them are just gross.

What is this? I have been on fb for years and I don't get anything like this. Did you "like" a page or something that posts these things? 

Anytime you don't want to see any more from something, click on the little downward arrow (it is light gray) at the top right corner of the post. There will be a drop down menu from which you can choose "I don't want to see this," or "hide all from…," and a few other choices. Make use of those.

I think it is the same one I have seen.

The "after accident" scenes I believe are real but the ones where they are going to get into an accident are reenacted, if it is the same one.

Ok, I saw this one, but it is in English, so may not be the same one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pubTiDCEVZ8

However, the schools usually show some graphic videos in driver's ed.  I don't have an issue with it.

It looked very real to me. It was in another language, so I couldn't tell what they were saying, but I'm pretty sure it was real.