Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW26

Robin M

Happy, happy Jane!

Last Easter when I was visiting my hometown, I remembered the last two lines of a favorite haiku from one of my treasured childhood books.  Returning to NC, I couldn't lay my hands on the volume.

Amazing what one finds when dusting.  Ahem.

The book is Come Along! by Rebecca Caudill with illustrations by Ellen Raskin--yes, the Ellen Raskin who would later win the Newbery for The Westing Game.

For my BaW friends, I offer two haikus and an illustration from the book:

Forsythia blooms,

And little winds of springtime

Ring the golden bells.

I catch a firefly

In cupped hands.  My fingers glow

With imprisoned fire.

(Sigh of contentment...)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this just propelled me over to Pinterest for the first time in my life.  Wowza!

If you don't mind, give me a day or so and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :). In the meantime, I have a board on Pinterest in case you or anyone's interested. I completely forgot that you visited the gardens in Haifa - one of  my favorite places on earth. 

bb7f84cbd2d89e728fa3f9db682694d6.jpg

Yes, the garden is just exquisite.  I look forward to your book recommendations!

Yesterday I read and enjoyed the contemporary romance Waiting On You by Kristan Higgins.  This is the latest in a series all of which are set in the same small town.

"Is your first love worth a second chance…? 

Colleen O'Rourke is in love with love…just not when it comes to herself. Most nights, she can be found behind the bar at the Manningsport, New York, tavern she owns with her twin brother, doling out romantic advice to the lovelorn, mixing martinis and staying more or less happily single. See, ten years ago, Lucas Campbell broke her heart…an experience Colleen doesn't want to have again, thanks. Since then, she's been happy with a fling here and there, some elite-level flirting and playing matchmaker to her friends. 

But a family emergency has brought Lucas back to town, handsome as ever and still the only man who's ever been able to crack her defenses. Seems like maybe they've got some unfinished business waiting for them—but to find out, Colleen has to let her guard down, or risk losing a second chance with the only man she's ever loved."

Regards,

Kareni

Happy, happy Jane!

Last Easter when I was visiting my hometown, I remembered the last two lines of a favorite haiku from one of my treasured childhood books.  Returning to NC, I couldn't lay my hands on the volume.

Amazing what one finds when dusting.  Ahem.

The book is Come Along! by Rebecca Caudill with illustrations by Ellen Raskin--yes, the Ellen Raskin who would later win the Newbery for The Westing Game.

I think I recall that thread and a number of us were curious about the book and the haiku. Am I correct in my remembering? If so :hurray:. I have a slightly similar situation going on with a particular illustrated version of 'A Child's Garden of Verses' from my childhood. I cannot remember the illustrator and despite perusing ebay and pinterest and various other sites over the, ahem decades, I haven't been able to find it. I have been somewhat mollified by Tasha Tudor's version which is quite lovely but the phantom childhood book continues to roost in my psyche, ruffling its feathers every now and then.

For my BaW friends, I offer two haikus and an illustration from the book:

Forsythia blooms,

And little winds of springtime

Ring the golden bells.

I catch a firefly

In cupped hands.  My fingers glow

With imprisoned fire.

(Sigh of contentment...)

Ah, loveliness! Contentment and sighs indeed...

I am not getting much reading done this week but wanted to jump in with my mid-year report.  

I've read 34 books so far, 3 of which were audio books which is a new to me thing.  

I have time traveled to the 9th, 11th, 12th, and 14th centuries, as well as the 19th century (Flufferton Abbey  :D ).

I have visited Israel, USA, Peru, England (abundantly), Wales,Turkey, Denmark, Italy, Scotland, Costa Rica, Algeria, Greece, Turkey, Crete, and Finland, as well as Narnia  ;)

Five Stars - 6

Dusty Books - 9

BaW recs - 7

Chunksters - only 1

Re-reads - only 4 (that's a new record for me!) and 2 of those were second time around read alouds with dd13.

*1 – The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs (Isarel)

*2 – Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans (USA)

*3 – The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis (Dusty, Narnia,)

*4 – Michael Vey:  The Rise of the Elgen by Richard Paul Evans (USA/Peru)

*5 – Soulless by Gail Carriger (England, BaW rec)

*6 – Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (England)

*7 – A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (12th Century, England/Wales,BaW rec)

*8 – Michael Vey: Battle of the Ampere by Richard Paul Evans (Peru)

*9 - Divergent by Veronica Roth (USA)

*10 - Anna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett (Turkey, 11th/12th Century, Dusty Book, re-read)

*11 – Austenland by Shannon Hale (England, Dusty Book)

*12 – The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis (Narnia)

*13 – Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger (England, BaW rec)

*14 – The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis (Narnia)

*15 – Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury (England)

*16 – Imprudent Lady by Joan Smith (England, BaW rec)

*17 – Beorn the Proud by Madeleine Polland (Denmark, 9th Century, re-read)

*18 – The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan (audiobook) (USA/Italy)

*19 – The Dead in their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (England)

*20 – The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis (Narnia)

*21 – The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (USA, dusty book)

*22 – The Mysterious Marquis by Eileen Ainsworth Ramsay (England/Scotland, dusty book)

*23 – Agenda 21 by Harriet Parke and Glen Beck (USA)

*24 – Persuasion by Jane Austen  (audiobook, England, re-read)

*25 – The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (England, dusty book)

*26 – The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer (England)

*27 – Mr. Knightley’s Diary by Amanda Grange (England, dusty book)

*28 - Classics Illustrated Macbeth (Graphic Novel) by Shakespeare (Scotland)

*29 - Inferno by Dante (14th Century, classic, BaW read along)

*30 - Aunt Dimity: Vampire Hunter by Nancy Atherton (England, dusty book, BaW rec)

*31 - The Heiress of Winterwood by Sarah E. Ladd (England)

*32 - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (Costa Rica, dusty book, re-read)

*33 - The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Scotland, audiobook, BaW rec)

*34 - The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier (Algeria/Greece/Turkey/England/Crete/Finland)

I think I recall that thread and a number of us were curious about the book and the haiku. Am I correct in my remembering? If so :hurray:. I have a slightly similar situation going on with a particular illustrated version of 'A Child's Garden of Verses' from my childhood. I cannot remember the illustrator and despite perusing ebay and pinterest and various other sites over the, ahem decades, I haven't been able to find it. I have been somewhat mollified by Tasha Tudor's version which is quite lovely but the phantom childhood book continues to roost in my psyche, ruffling its feathers every now and then.

Ah, loveliness! Contentment and sighs indeed...

Yes.  In fact I should supply the missing first line of the haiku that I mentioned back in April.

Make haste!  Run quickly

To see my Easter garden.

A seed is risen!

I think of that last line every Easter.

The first book of poems I remember owning is this one:

My mother bought it for me at a PTA book sale when I was in Kindergarten.  The book rests in my lap as I write this.

One of the more outlandish children's books in my collection was given to me in more recent years.  It is Willy Pogany's Mother Goose dating back to 1928.

Flappers and all!

Yes.  In fact I should supply the missing first line of the haiku that I mentioned back in April.

Make haste!  Run quickly

To see my Easter garden.

A seed is risen!

I think of that last line every Easter.

Yes, the bolded is what I remember from a few months back.

The first book of poems I remember owning is this one:

My mother bought it for me at a PTA book sale when I was in Kindergarten.  The book rests in my lap as I write this.

I can remember my father reading to me from A. A. Milne's, 'Now We Are Six' and 'When We Were Very Young'. The books were hard cover with linen and I think I was about four. I would look at all the black lines and squiggles on the pages and hear the most marvelous descriptions coming out of my father's mouth as he read in his wonderfully refined English accent. I knew there was a connection and couldn't wait to be able to decipher the black lines and squiggles.

One of the more outlandish children's books in my collection was given to me in more recent years.  It is Willy Pogany's Mother Goose dating back to 1928.

Flappers and all!

Over the years I seem to have developed a bit of a fascination with illustrated children's books, particularly vintage ones. But when I get the books home I do have moments of 'hmm, was this really necessary?' I'm the only one in the house who appreciates them and they can't be hung on the wall to meditate on in passing. So I have a little dance of conflict around scooping them up. Mostly though I decide that I don't need a reason to embody the verb 'enjoy', that the enjoyment is its own fulfillment. I'm currently going back and forth over the Provensen book that I linked a few weeks back as VC kindly directed me to a source for buying it somewhat reasonably.

Nancy Pearl of Book Lust to Go maps out a plan for summer reading.

Electric Lit's 10 Books that have Gone to the dogs.

Lovely Haiku's.   I fell in like with Haiku when James and I rowed Grass Sandals years ago. Would have never discovered the book if we hadn't done Five in a Row. So many good books and I think we've kept them all.  We pull the book out periodically and read it, then have fun making up our own haikus.

and yes, Pam --- Pinterest is addictive.

Robin, your post reminds me of a related yet very different sculpture:

These horses made from dead apple trees were in the Grand River in Grand Rapids, MI, for a competition called Art Prize.  The artist who created “Stick-to-it-ive-ness: Unwavering pertinacity; perseverance", Richard Morse, is a cancer survivor who positioned his horses going upstream.  I love how he took those dead branches and brought them back to life.

2 books ago I read A J Jacobs Drop Dead Healthy.   I generally like his books, but the last book I read (The Guinea Pig Diaries) stunk.   I think it was just a collection of articles, it wasn't cohesive.  This book was much better, very interesting tidbits about health and the industry in general.  It just reaffirmed my belief that everyone has to do different things for their body to stay healthy.   There is no one size fits all when it comes to health, IMHO.

Glad to hear this, Drop Dead Healthy is in my stacks.

I have learned a new word today, thanks to Jane's post...

Pertinacity ::  a quality of sticking with something, no matter what. It's a type of persistent determination.

I enjoyed the serendipity of seeing the two similar (and wonderful) water horse pictures one after the other...

Well, synchronicity strikes again! I paused The Little Book, which is partially taking place in Freud's Vienna. The story is slow in developing, spending more time in the future than the past, so that we have a well developed back story. Anyway, I decided to take a break with some more of Mr. Eco's essays on hyper reality. His words that made me laugh:

" I thought then about how much, in the history of civilization, dress as armor has influenced behavior and, in consequence, exterior morality. The Victorian Bourgeois was stiff and formal because of stiff collars; the nineteenth-century gentleman was constrained by his tight redingotes, boots, and top hats that didn't allow brusque movements of the head. If Vienna had been on the equator and its bourgeoisie had gone around in Bermuda shorts, would Freud have described the same neurotic symptoms, the same Oedipal triangles? And would he have described them in the same way if he, the doctor, had been a Scot, in a kilt (under which as everyone knows, the rule is to wear nothing.)"

OK, a little glimpse into the operations of my brain.

This one...

Found this in my meanderings and just had to share because it is so neat.

10372514_660894057313635_570688666454820

Running Horses By Robert Glen (las Colinas, Irving, Texas)

... instantly evoked that scene when Arwen outrides the Dark Riders and manages the Crossing to Safety with Frodo in her arms.

:001_wub:

(Arwen rocks.)

But then, er, this one...

Robin, your post reminds me of a related yet very different sculpture:

dut.jpg

... evoked that Pirates of the Caribbean movie (?? the 3rd one?  the 5th one?? the 8th one??? I'm embarrassed to look it up...) with the Cursed Crew.

:blushing:   Hmm.

I have learned a new word today, thanks to Jane's post...

Pertinacity ::  a quality of sticking with something, no matter what. It's a type of persistent determination.

I have pertinacity when it comes to reading certain books.

My older boys stated their end of the year test today, and I plopped my youngest in front of a movie. Yes, I did. I had forgotten my book (the horror!) and was very happy when I realized the library at the school we were at was open. I grabbed Number the Stars because I like the author's other books and because it's not too long. Sure enough I read the whole book by the time they were finished for the day. Very good book. I felt myself tearing up in more than one place.

That was book #26 for me.

Tomorrow I will not forget my book. Maybe I'll even take the Bible I'm supposed to be reading.....

Oh, and I have a confession. I do not like tubing. At all. Not even a little bit. Detest it.

That's okay. I only like tubing because it's spring water and I can see through it. I can't stand lakes - they creep me out.

I finished Radiance of Tomorrow by Ishmael Beah. What a book. Gut-wrenching  yet full of beauty.  I read his first book, which was a memoir. This one has the same feel even though  it is a work of fiction. I'm sure there is a lot of truth infused into the story. It again tells the tale of the horrors of war and how no place is ever the same afterward.

Oh, and I have a confession. I do not like tubing. At all. Not even a little bit. Detest it.

:lol:

Well, I must admit that while the photos were wonderful & beautiful, some of my first thoughts on all of them (except Jenn's puzzle pic) were "mosquitoes" and "snakes". :leaving: I'm such a mosquito magnet (& have almost an allergic type reaction to them) that I often avoid going out in the summer. Sometimes I wonder why I live in the south.

Love both horse sculptures. Gorgeous. The first one made me think of real horses & even though I could see that they were statues, it was as if my mind had a mini-wrestling match with itself of real vs. not real. I guess it's another one of those :willy_nilly: vs. :toetap05: mind moments for me. :tongue_smilie:

Ds had some testing today, so I had some reading time. Finished one short book, The Lemur by Benjamin Black. It was ok/fine. Interesting enough that I read it (short book too), but nothing that I'll probably remember by next week.

A new thriller from the Booker Prize–winning and Edgar-nominated author of Christine Falls and The Silver Swan

John Glass's life in New York should be plenty comfortable. He's given up his career as a journalist to write an authorized biography of his father-in-law, communications magnate and former CIA agent Big Bill Mulholland. He works in a big office in Mulholland Tower, rent-free, and goes home (most nights) to his wealthy and well-preserved wife, Wild Bill's daughter. He misses his old life sometimes, but all in all things have turned out well.

But when his shifty young researcher--a man he calls "The Lemur"--turns up some unflattering information about the family, Glass's whole easy existence is threatened. Then the young man is murdered, and it's up to Glass to find out what The Lemur knew, and who killed him, before any secrets come out--and before any other bodies appear.

Shifting from 1950s Dublin to contemporary New York, the masterful crime writer Benjamin Black returns in this standalone thriller--a story of family secrets so deep, and so dangerous, that anyone might kill to keep them hidden.

Also started Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips. It's frothy beach fun using the pantheon of Greek gods & godesses for your tabloid-level, raunchy reading. I've chuckled out loud a couple of times....

Being a Greek god is not all it once was. Yes, the twelve gods of Olympus are alive and well in the twenty-first century, but they are crammed together in a London townhouse-and none too happy about it. And they've had to get day jobs: Artemis as a dog-walker, Apollo as a TV psychic, Aphrodite as a phone sex operator, Dionysus as a DJ.

Even more disturbingly, their powers are waning, and even turning mortals into trees--a favorite pastime of Apollo's--is sapping their vital reserves of strength.

Soon, what begins as a minor squabble between Aphrodite and Apollo escalates into an epic battle of wills. Two perplexed humans, Alice and Neil, who are caught in the crossfire, must fear not only for their own lives, but for the survival of humankind. Nothing less than a true act of heroism is needed-but can these two decidedly ordinary people replicate the feats of the mythical heroes and save the world?

Don't forget horseflies...ouch. I have memories of them dive-bombing us at the lake during horsefly season. This meant we spent a lot of time actually in the water as opposed to being on the moored raft in the middle of the lake diving and jumping and sunning.

This is what I did this morning, kayaking in a cypress swamp:

14458612646_49d5643a22_z.jpg

It was gorgeous!

ichetucknee-float-2012.moran_.sRGB_.jpg

I was at first struck by the greenness surrounding these bodies of water.  It looks so beautiful and peaceful, but then I thought of all that goes with that green -- the humidity, the bugs, the snakes and in Florida the gators.  The only tubing I've ever done is in a man-made water park!  Not much in the way of natural bodies of fresh water in my corner of the world, and the man-made lake by my house is a drinking water reservoir that you aren't allowed to play in.  But I'd be game be a part of either of those above scenes.

I went to look for my copy of A Child's Garden of Verses so I could share its cover art with y'all but was thwarted by all the junk that has been dumped around my upstairs book cases.  Then I contemplated the daunting job I face of sorting, moving and organizing all that junk and all those books just so we can replace the carpet upstairs.  It was far too much to bear this afternoon, so I'm going to do something else, like eat a bowl of ice cream.  

But first, my mid-year update.  My list seems rather frothy this year, at least in comparison to some of the lists here, but I'm certainly enjoying my reading.  No reading challenges for me other than categorizing some of my titles.  Is Night Circus sci-fi/fantasy?  or is Mr. Penumbra or Jo Walton's books?!?  Or for that matter Strange Bodies?  Should I make a category and call it "uncategorizeable"?

Book a week 2014  -- 34 to date

Mystery/Thrillers

W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton

Kingdom of Shadows by Alan Furst

Diamond Solitaire by Peter Lovesy

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

The Summons by Peter Lovesy

The Rafael Affair by Iain Pears

Watching the Dark by Peter Robinson

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Bloodhounds by Peter Lovesy

The Bookman’s Tale by Charlie Lovett

Literature:  Master and Commander series

The Fortune of War by Patrick O’Brien 

Surgeon’s Mate by Patrick O’Brien 

The Ionian Mission by Patrick O’Brien 

Treason’s Harbor by Patrick O’Brien 

Far Side of the World by Patrick O’Brien

Other Literature

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott 

Strange Bodies by Marcel Theroux

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

And Only to Deceive by Tashia Alexander

Sci-fi/fantasy

Darwin Elevator by Jason Hough

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore

Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett

The Night Circus by  Erin Morgenstern

Farthing by Jo Walton

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Martian by Andy Weir

Ha’penny by Jo Walton

Half a Crown by Jo Walton

Non-fiction

The Hare with the Amber Eyes

Ballerina by Deidre Kelly

Reading Dante: From Here to Eternity by Pru Shaw

In the Wings: Behind the Scenes at the New York City Ballet by Kyle Froman

Musicophilia: Tales of music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks

I was at first struck by the greenness surrounding these bodies of water.  It looks so beautiful and peaceful, but then I thought of all that goes with that green -- the humidity, the bugs, the snakes and in Florida the gators.  The only tubing I've ever done is in a man-made water park!  Not much in the way of natural bodies of fresh water in my corner of the world, and the man-made lake by my house is a drinking water reservoir that you aren't allowed to play in.  But I'd be game be a part of either of those above scenes.

Eons ago, I did tubing various times (both floating down a river & around a lake while being pulled by a boat). What I remember is the fun (& not the creepy-crawly parts of it). So, it's worth trying if you get the chance!

Well, I must admit that while the photos were wonderful & beautiful, some of my first thoughts on all of them (except Jenn's puzzle pic) were "mosquitoes" and "snakes".  :leaving:  I'm such a mosquito magnet (& have almost an allergic type reaction to them) that I often avoid going out in the summer. Sometimes I wonder why I live in the south.

:iagree:  me too!

Quick note to Stacia on Southern wetlands:  Black water streams and swamps don't usually have mosquitoes because of the high tannin content of the water--too acidic for them.  Snakes--they are everywhere.

Run away!!!!!!!!!   :willy_nilly:

Say no to tubing in snake infested waters!  :willy_nilly:

Angel, you & I can hang out together in a coffee shop to meet up w/ the others after they get back from tubing! :thumbup:

I went to look for my copy of A Child's Garden of Verses so I could share its cover art with y'all but was thwarted by all the junk that has been dumped around my upstairs book cases. Then I contemplated the daunting job I face of sorting, moving and organizing all that junk and all those books just so we can replace the carpet upstairs. It was far too much to bear this afternoon, so I'm going to do something else, like eat a bowl of ice cream.

Your trajectory has a familiar feel to it, Jenn. Sometimes ice cream (or chocolate) is the best approach under such thwarting circumstances. :D

Cue Tintin:

The creek/swamp that I paddled in had loads of dragonflies.  I did not see any snakes although I am on the lookout since water can attract cottonmouths (poisonous).  But this is the price of my slice of paradise.  We have had copperheads (poisonous) in the yard and in the garage.  There are more alligators in the golf course communities than in my residential near the salt marsh.  And of course there are sharks and rays in the ocean.

Shrug.  I am more afraid of mammals (bears or cougars) on mountain paths than I am here on the coast.  Maybe it is because I know my local environment???

Do the snakes bite? If the snakes are harmless then I'm in for some tubing in natural bodies of water.

Okay y'all, thousands of people go tubing on this river every summer and I have yet to hear of one gator or snake attack. My husband doesn't even bring a tube - he just uses fins and snorkels so he can rescue any kids who drift away. It really is that green and beautiful. Best to go when it's super hot because the water is super cold (spring fed). Any BaWers who are game are welcome to join us in August if you can get down near Gainesville, FL this summer. :auto:

I have to admit that I have never really enjoyed tubing either.  I have to admit the pictures made me think of water moccasins which are possibly my most disliked snake.  I do like canoeing so could probably enjoy either place froma slightly higher vantage point.  :lol:

Anyone here listen to books on audible.com?  I'm doing the free trial and loving it but I don't know if I want to commit to $14 a month just for audiobooks for me.  Can someone tell me it's worth it?  I have five Georgette Heyer books on my wishlist that I won't be able to get anywhere else ...

IN PROGRESS:

The Diary of a Provincial Lady by EM Delafield

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett - current audiobook

FINISHED:

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer - I loved this as an audiobook.  The reader was fantastic and the story kept me driving in circles just so I could listen to more of it.  *****

RECAP:

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer - England - Regency Period - Romance - Audiobook

Don't Murder Your Mystery by Chris Roerden - Non-fiction

The Winged Watchman by Hilda van Stockum - Holland - WWII - YA

Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers - England - Between the wars - Mystery

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie - England - Between the wars - Mystery - Audiobook

Watery Grave by Bruce Alexander - England - Georgian Period - Mystery

Gather Ye Rosebuds by Joan Smith - England - Regency Period - Romance

Telling Lies for Fun and Profit by Lawrence Block - Non-fiction

Cousin Cecilia by Joan Smith - England - Regency Period - Romance

Stardust by Neil Gaiman - Fantasy

A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt by Coco De Young - USA - Depression Era - YA

Murder in Grub Street by Bruce Alexander - England - Georgian Period - Mystery

What Angels Fear by CS Harris - England - Georgian/Regency Period - Mystery

Lady Hathaway's Dinner Party by Joan Smith - England - Regency - Mystery

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews - Fantasy - YA

Nurture Shock by Po Bronson - Non-Fiction

Blind Justice by Bruce Alexander - England - Georgian Period - Mystery

Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson - Fantasy - YA - Audiobook

Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie - England - Between the wars - Mystery - Audiobook

One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters - England - Medieval - Mystery

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester - Non-fiction

Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson - Non-fiction

Winter Wedding by Joan Smith - England - Regency Period - Romance

The Baby Sitters Club - USA - Modern times - YA  (A reread from my youth!)

How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg - Non-Fiction - YA

Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit - USA - Civil War - YA

Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy - Non-Fiction

Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible - Non-Fiction

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters - England - Medieval - Mystery

The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy Sayers - England - Between the wars - Mystery

Lord Peter Views the Body by Dorothy Sayers - England - Between the wars - Mystery

Montessori From the Start by Paula Lillard - Non-fiction

The Report Card by Andrew Clements - YA

33/52 books finished

Setting:

50% set in England

10% set in USA

40% has no setting (Non-fiction)

Time Period:

15% set between the wars

15% set during Georgian era

20% set during Regency period

Genre:

35% mysteries

25% non-fiction

15% romance

25% YA

Type:

15% Audiobook

85% Book

Anyone here listen to books on audible.com?  I'm doing the free trial and loving it but I don't know if I want to commit to $14 a month just for audiobooks for me.  Can someone tell me it's worth it?  I have five Georgette Heyer books on my wishlist that I won't be able to get anywhere else ...

It's worth it to me to have books I can listen to while cleaning house, or, while doing my other favorite downtime hobby, cross-stitch.

Audible also has daily deals and BOGO sales available to members.

Anyone here listen to books on audible.com? I'm doing the free trial and loving it but I don't know if I want to commit to $14 a month just for audiobooks for me. Can someone tell me it's worth it? I have five Georgette Heyer books on my wishlist that I won't be able to get anywhere else ...

Audio books are growing on me. I took advantage of a special offer audible was having with the first month being free and the 2nd and 3rd months being half-price before the full price kicked in. Along with that is a free audio book a month. So even though I'm paying $14 a month it's still a bargain. I've found that non-fiction is more accessible for me in an audio book. With fiction my mind tends to wander though I do have Doris Lessing's 'The Golden Notebook'on my list as a possibility for this month's credit. Ds listens alot, too, so it's worth it for us as a family.

It's worth it to me to have books I can listen to while cleaning house, or, while doing my other favorite downtime hobby, cross-stitch.

Audible also has daily deals and BOGO sales available to members.

Audio books are growing on me. I took advantage of a special offer audible was having with the first month being free and the 2nd and 3rd months being half-price before the full price kicked in. Along with that is a free audio book a month. So even though I'm paying $14 a month it's still a bargain. I've found that non-fiction is more accessible for me in an audio book. With fiction my mind tends to wander though I do have Doris Lessing's 'The Golden Notebook'on my list as a possibility for this month's credit. Ds listens alot, too, so it's worth it for us as a family.

I'm starting to feel talked into it ...  :laugh:

We currently get a lot of audiobooks from the library but audible has a bunch that I can't get anywhere else.

How often to the BOGO deals happen and how do they work?

Longtime audible.com member here.  My ds and I argue every month over who is going to use the credits!  I love listening in the car, or on walks or while knitting or doing puzzles.   We tend to choose long books so we feel like we're getting the most for our money, and we try to get books we'd enjoy listening to again and again.  I can't remember how many times you can download a book from your library, but it has been great that my dh has been able to download some of the books we've gotten through our credits and my college boy can use the same account on the other side of the country.  Basically we get to share books. Their iPhone app is pretty cool, too.

We used lots of audio books during the homeschool years and there are now teaching company courses available to buy with your monthly credit.

So, yeah, I think it is worth it!

Okay y'all, thousands of people go tubing on this river every summer and I have yet to hear of one gator or snake attack. My husband doesn't even bring a tube - he just uses fins and snorkels so he can rescue any kids who drift away. It really is that green and beautiful. Best to go when it's super hot because the water is super cold (spring fed). Any BaWers who are game are welcome to join us in August if you can get down near Gainesville, FL this summer. :auto:

You're totally right. Realistically, if I had the opportunity, I would go (!), esp. w/ a group. I figure snakes will move out of the way when there are lots of people & noise. (I just have a snake phobia that I have to tamp down & might be in the water all the time vs a tube because I can better avoid mosquitoes if I'm mostly submerged.)

I'm (unfortunately?) used to living in areas w/ tons of mosquitoes & snakes, plus I often visit places that have alligators too. I've spent many hours in lakes, rivers, & oceans, swimming, rafting, tubing, & such. So, even though I complain about the dangers, I know (& have enjoyed) the fun aspects of all those outdoor/nature activities. I'm at the ocean fairly often too & have no worries about rays, sharks, jellyfish, etc.... (I've had jellyfish stings before. Saw a woman get a ray's barb in her foot at the beach once & truly that woman was in agony. Interestingly, the first aid people stuck her foot in a plastic bin w/ really hot water in it -- apparently it helps draw the poison out.) My dad was in the Navy for much of my childhood, so I grew up in places in & around water & did plenty of water sports/activities. In that respect, I guess like Jane, I'm accustomed to what's in my area (even if I have a snake phobia) & what I grew up with.

Anyway, I guess that's all my long way of saying that I don't know why I was making ornery comments in the first place, just still tired & running on low energy. Even though I'm ornery, I do enjoy the water & things like tubing, just haven't really done much stuff like that in quite a few years.

Otoh, Monica, you're in a desert area & I must admit the snakes out there & scorpions might give me pause.  :blink:  I did hike in an area in Denver once that had rattlesnake signs all over the place. I felt somewhat uncomfortable but made it out w/out spotting anything. (I'm sure there were snakes around, but I'm glad I didn't see any.)

Basically we get to share books. Their iPhone app is pretty cool, too.

We

So, yeah, I think it is worth it!

iPhone app is great. I've listened to lots of things in the car while ds is involved in various classes. So easy and fast to download things either from the cloud or directly from their site.

Do the snakes bite?

My assumption for every single one of them is... YES.

Even so, I have a mental peace treaty with snakes. I don't want to see them & they probably don't want to see me. I try to walk heavily (vibrations) when outside, esp. in wooded areas, figuring it will be nice for both sides if we never meet. When in bodies of water that might have snakes, I just hope for the best. (So far, so good.) I don't wish snakes harm, I know they do good, but I just don't want to encounter them personally. :lol:

Angel, you & I can hang out together in a coffee shop to meet up w/ the others after they get back from tubing! :thumbup:

:thumbup1:

Do the snakes bite? If the snakes are harmless then I'm in for some tubing in natural bodies of water.

Doesn't matter!   Run away  :willy_nilly:

Can you tell I have a phobia of snakes?  :leaving:

My assumption for every single one of them is... YES.

Even so, I have a mental peace treaty with snakes. I don't want to see them & they probably don't want to see me. I try to walk heavily (vibrations) when outside, esp. in wooded areas, figuring it will be nice for both sides if we never meet. When in bodies of water that might have snakes, I just hope for the best. (So far, so good.) I don't wish snakes harm, I know they do good, but I just don't want to encounter them personally. :lol:

Well, you have a totemic relationship with them, see, as ambivalent as it may be. We all have our creature mythologies to work out, I guess.

:thumbup1:

Doesn't matter!   Run away  :willy_nilly:

Can you tell I have a phobia of snakes?  :leaving:

See for me if they don't bite I have no issue with them. In fact I find them quite lovely. And generally auspicious. I've had the opportunity to hold various snakes in the wild and their skin is warm and sooo smooth and the way they move is exquisitely graceful. If there are poisonous biters in the vicinity I definitely keep my eyes open and my distance and hope for the best.

Are you enjoying The Wee Free Men ?  :D

And thanks for a new Georgette Heyer to look up!

So far we are.  I like the writing ... Terry Pratchett is very clever with the phrases he uses.  DD and I are listening to this as an audiobook but we aren't far into it yet because for the last week I've been leaving her at home while I run errands so I can listen to my Georgette Heyer book.  *Worst Mom Ever*  

Are you finished with The Wee Free Men?  Did you enjoy it?

I have been thinking about getting Audible, too.  I'm not big on audio books but we have been listening to the free offerings from SYNC audio for the last month and I am now hooked.   Reading how everyone likes it,  I think  I will look into Audible  a bit deeper now.

My biggest concern tubing is the sun. You're basically a roasting piece of meat the entire time. Yes, you can cover with pants and long sleeves and die melting. Yes, you can put on sunscreen, BUT sunscreen does not stop sun damage. It just slows it down. Heard that report on NPR just the other week. So, while sunscreen is good to wear and recommended it does NOT spare you from sun damage. The only thing that does is to stay out of the sun and/or completely cover.

I'm honestly thinking of carrying a sunshade around from now on. Those will come back into fashion at some point.

Yes, I've been tubing. Didn't like it. I have to say that I just don't find the swamps and rivers of FL pretty. Sorry. Just don't. Not my idea of beautiful land.