Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW26

Robin M

My midyear report:

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (read aloud)

2. Good Wives by Louisa May Alcott (read aloud)

3. The Rosie Project, Graeme Simsion (fun read)

4. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Kate Douglas Wiggin (audio)

5. Chronicles of Rebecca, Kate Douglas Wiggin (audio)

6. Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World, Dalai Lama (disappointing)

7. Theatre Shoes, Noel Streatfeld

8. Ballet Shoes, Noel Streatfeld

9. Dancing Shoes, Noel Streatfeld

10. Little Men, Louisa May Alcott (read aloud)

11. Jo's Boys, Louisa May Alcott (read aloud)

12. Treasure Island, (audio)

13. Long Walk to Freedom, Nelson Mandela

14. Islamic Dietary Laws and Practices, Hussaini and Sakr

15. Halal & Haram: The Prohibited & Permitted Foods & Drinks According to the Jewish, Christian & Muslim Scriptures, Muhammad Umar Chand

16. The Sowers, Henry Seton Merriman

17. The Red Fairy Book, Andrew Lang (read aloud)

18. Tales of Ancient Egypt, Roger Lancelyn Green (read aloud)

19. Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, T.S Eliot (read aloud)

20. The Many Conditions of Love, Farahad Zama

21. Maskerade, Terry Pratchett

22. Equal Rites, Terry Pratchett

23. Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett

24. Letters from a Cat (audio)

25. The Sun's Babies (audio)

26. The Wonderful Garden (audio)

27. The Palace Garden (audio)

28. Aunt Jo's Scrap bag, Louisa May Alcott (audio)

29. The Fairy of the Snows (audio)

With several more in progress, some of which I'm reading to dd and some of which I'm not. :) Also, various Enid Blyton (ugh) which doesn't count towards these challenges.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest concern tubing is the sun. You're basically a roasting piece of meat the entire time. Yes, you can cover with pants and long sleeves and die melting. Yes, you can put on sunscreen, BUT sunscreen does not stop sun damage. It just slows it down. Heard that report on NPR just the other week. So, while sunscreen is good to wear and recommended it does NOT spare you from sun damage. The only thing that does is to stay out of the sun and/or completely cover.

I'm honestly thinking of carrying a sunshade around from now on. Those will come back into fashion at some point.

Yes, I've been tubing. Didn't like it. I have to say that I just don't find the swamps and rivers of FL pretty. Sorry. Just don't. Not my idea of beautiful land.

I have a particularly beautiful one in dupioni silk, small in a deep tea-rose color. I rarely use it for the sun but when I do it is rather a lovely feeling.

OK, this just propelled me over to Pinterest for the first time in my life.  Wowza!

Yes, the garden is just exquisite.  I look forward to your book recommendations!

Pam, Pinterest is such fun. I was very skeptical at first and was reluctant to start on it, but now I find it very relaxing. 

Book recommendations - there is one that I would love to mail to you. If you wish, you can message me your address. 

Other suggestions if you're interested. I haven't read most of these. I just happen to think that they may be more interesting to you than Abdu'l-Baha in Their Midst. 

This one is historical - one of the members of the Hearst family was among the first Baha'is in America. This is about her and others who went on pilgrimage to the Holy Land, as well as more info, I'm sure. 

Now I'm really interested in reading this one - about heroines in various faiths - Sarah (wife of Abraham, etc.)

I've read many excerpts of this - historical again, but also memoir

HTH. Let me know what you think and feel free to message me with your address if you wish. :)

Ha! Well, you all can tell I live no where near water, since none of these apparent dangers even crossed my mind!

I do live near water, but we have no....I repeat....NO dangerous animals in the Netherlands. :hurray:

After reading about the dangerous animals in the US/Australia/NZ all these years, I'll be probably too scared to ever visit any of you. England, I can handle, I think ;).

Monica, thanks for your card, I loved it!

I do live near water, but we have no....I repeat....NO dangerous animals in the Netherlands. :hurray:

After reading about the dangerous animals in the US/Australia/NZ all these years, I'll be probably too scared to ever visit any of you. England, I can handle, I think ;).

Tress,  I would love to see you.  ;)

England has Black Adders, that is it. As someone who spent part of her childhood in a pretty remote southern location with lots of creepy crawly things I love that a black adder can bite you and you have plenty of time to deal with it -- generally 24 hours before you really need professional help.  After diamond back rattlers and coral snakes that is easy.

I took the dcs on an organized nature walk with a group of home ed friends two years ago when we were visiting Florida.  Ds had a blast,  saw 3 poisonous snakes and a couple poisonous spiders.  Loved it.  :)  Dd was so panicked I thought she would pass out,  she kept saying very quietly how safe England is creature wise.  No more nature walks for dd where there is apt to be much nature. ;(  I promised never to take her on anything like that again, admittedly that walk was a bit more natural than I had expected or Dh would have came too.  They both remember alligators  so at least no one freaks out about those when we visit and see several. :lol:

Now for books.  I started I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.  It is a chunky thriller with lots of forensic stuff.  So far liking it. :)

:lol:

I've been to the beach in Belgium. Even in the heat of summer, the water in the North Sea is cold enough to kill you. ;) No need for dangerous animals!

(I say that half in jest. My dh & kids were fine w/ the water. I thought it was FREEZING. But, I'm used to the waters along the southern coast of the US.)

To head back into book territory...

Flavorwire's list of 2014's Best Works of Fiction So Far.

For those who like Thomas Pynchon & who like to drink. :lol:

Just noticed that now the Man Booker prizes will be opened up to authors of any nationality...

Oh dear, I am only familiar with one book on the Flavorwire list and that would be the Helen Oyemi book.   That's what happens when you read too much fluff:  you become disconnected with the literary world.  :laugh:

I am having problems with even reading fluff now.  I can't seem to get attached to any kind of book.  I folded on The Likeness by Tana French and it would appear that the same fate awaits  Rule of Civility  by Amor Towles.   I am only on pg. 32 so I am determined to keep slogging until at least pg. 50 but this is going to be a difficult feat unless some literary miracle occurs.

I just got the vegan cookbook,  Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon, from the library.  I am not a vegan nor do I have any inclination to become one  but I am loving these recipes!  What a great book!  I am thinking that I might even buy this.  I am going to go to town today armed with a list and I am going to attempt to make some of these dishes. Then I will make the decision on whether to buy or not. 

Bumping the Netherlands up on the "Places to Visit" priority list.   :laugh:

Tress,  I would love to see you.   ;)

England has Black Adders, that is it. As someone who spent part of her childhood in a pretty remote southern location with lots of creepy crawly things I love that a black adder can bite you and you have plenty of time to deal with it -- generally 24 hours before you really need professional help.  After diamond back rattlers and coral snakes that is easy.

Blackadder does look dangerous.

Bumping the Netherlands up on the "Places to Visit" priority list. :laugh:

Blackadder does look dangerous.

Love Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean. Like Thin Blue Line. But have never made it through a single episode of Blackadder. We own them all, somewhere.......

While looking for a picture of the snake I ran into an article saying adders are endangered. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2064594/Britains-poisonous-snake-Adder-danger-dying-out.html

Well, The Little Book is developing an interesting twist which appears to take advantage of the Freudian theme.

Maybe a spoiler, I don't know yet:

:huh: :lol:

I just went and requested The Little Book.  I will admit the spoiler intrigued me. :lol:

For some reason today's thread offerings have me :smilielol5: ... Dam Slows Earth's Rotation ; Atheist Deemed Mentally Ill :: S/O Coffee for kids--help me pick a brand ; Another Homeschool Leader Scandal and then of course there's the amusing 'Just No' thread :lol:

Anyway back to books...the talk of The Little Book and Freud is making me think of Jung's famous 'Red Book'. I wonder if there's a correlation...

Don't you just love it when the last page of a book leaves you with chills? I just finished Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth and expertly narrated by Nicola Barber for Audible. I think I expected it to be quaint and perhaps even a bit boring but I was completely fascinated by the story of a privileged girl who, at age 22, moves into a convent to become a midwife in the slums of post war London. The narrator was superb and definitely added to the telling. I couldn't have conjured up the variations of Cockney accents in my mind if I had simply read the print version of the books. Five stars.

51Ja3naWT8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Last night I finished the contemporary romance  Taken with You by Shannon Stacey; it was an enjoyable read.  And, it always's nice to read a book featuring a librarian!

"Hailey Genest has seen most of her friends marry and have babies, and she's happy for them, but it was a lot easier before she hit forty. She's spent her entire life in Whitford, Maine, and if she hasn't found her Prince Charming by now, she has to accept she's probably not going to. When a new friend suggests they go on an adventure and embrace being single, Hailey agrees.

Surviving in the woods is game warden Matt Barnett's idea of a relaxing vacation. But when he meets two women in need of help, he leads them back to safety—a task that proves more fun than expected, thanks to a certain hot blonde. He can't resist pushing her buttons, even though she's made it clear that the rugged, outdoorsy type just isn't for her.

Hailey is glad to see the back of her tempting-tour-guide-slash-pain-in-the-ass. When he shows up in her life again, she's determined to avoid him, no matter how good he looks in his uniform. But that's easier said than done in Whitford, especially when he's renting the house right next door…."

Regards,

Kareni

For some reason today's thread offerings have me :smilielol5: ... Dam Slows Earth's Rotation ; Atheist Deemed Mentally Ill :: S/O Coffee for kids--help me pick a brand ; Another Homeschool Leader Scandal and then of course there's the amusing 'Just No' thread :lol:

Anyway back to books...the talk of The Little Book and Freud is making me think of Jung's famous 'Red Book'. I wonder if there's a correlation...

There doesn't appear to be a correlation but it is fascinating. I found a link where you can look at the interior of the book:

http://www.rubinmuseum.org/nav/exhibitions/view/308

It's breathtaking. I wish I could read the words.

There doesn't appear to be a correlation but it is fascinating. I found a link where you can look at the interior of the book:

http://www.rubinmuseum.org/nav/exhibitions/view/308

It's breathtaking. I wish I could read the words.

Yes, breathtaking is the word. It's been on my tbr list for a while. Here's a link to a page replete with images from the book but no print...

Negin, you are too sweet.  Thank you!

Pam, Pinterest is such fun. I was very skeptical at first and was reluctant to start on it, but now I find it very relaxing. 

Book recommendations - there is one that I would love to mail to you. If you wish, you can message me your address. 

Other suggestions if you're interested. I haven't read most of these. I just happen to think that they may be more interesting to you than Abdu'l-Baha in Their Midst. 

This one is historical - one of the members of the Hearst family was among the first Baha'is in America. This is about her and others who went on pilgrimage to the Holy Land, as well as more info, I'm sure. 

Now I'm really interested in reading this one - about heroines in various faiths - Sarah (wife of Abraham, etc.)

I've read many excerpts of this - historical again, but also memoir

HTH. Let me know what you think and feel free to message me with your address if you wish. :)

I just ordered the Portals to Freedom, which I'm looking forward to reading back-to-back with the account of Judah Halevi's (much earlier) pilgrimage to the Holy Land that I recently completed; and I am soooo happy to see that Immortal Heroines is available on KLL   :001_rolleyes: ... now I have something lined up for July...

will either of these give me a reasonable overview of the basics of the faith tradition itself (tenets or principles, ritual, observances etc)?

Thank you -- This looks fascinating, and I was delighted to see that my library has it on audio too.  Naturally it's currently checked out, but I have a long summer ahead replete with long drives...

Don't you just love it when the last page of a book leaves you with chills? I just finished Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth and expertly narrated by Nicola Barber for Audible. I think I expected it to be quaint and perhaps even a bit boring but I was completely fascinated by the story of a privileged girl who, at age 22, moves into a convent to become a midwife in the slums of post war London. The narrator was superb and definitely added to the telling. I couldn't have conjured up the variations of Cockney accents in my mind if I had simply read the print version of the books. Five stars.

51Ja3naWT8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Oh my, that is a fabulous pic, Jane. Look at the shoes...and what did those women dream of in their private moments between familial and filial duties? I can see us all in a kind of bucolic lounging on someone's porch (who here has a long, lovely veranda with a view of the cornfields?) with a big pitcher of lemonade and stacks of books...sigh

The photo was taken in the late '20's of a rural women's club sponsored by Cooperative Extension.  Here is part of the text that was posted with the photo:

As North Carolina Cooperative Extension’s family and consumer sciences’ volunteer organization, the Extension and Community Association has helped the state’s families emerge from a struggling rural economy to one that is more diverse and prosperous, both in rural and urban areas.

ECA got its start in 1913, when women who had been working alongside their daughters in the state’s Tomato Clubs expressed their wishes for Extension to provide them with information to make home life easier. They were especially interested in better biscuit and bread making, finding income-generating opportunities for their families and spend time with others in their isolated rural communities.

As they learned, these women shared their knowledge with others in the community, and they began a tradition of service in important local needs. In World War I, they canned nearly 9 million jars of food to feed military troops, and as the great influenza epidemic of 1918 swept the state and nation, members organized into nursing squads to care for the sick and set up 75 kitches to feed people.

During the 1920s, they set up a loan fund to help rural girls get a college education and they opened weekly county curb markets, the forerunners of today’s local farmers’ markets. Curb market sales proved during the Great Depression to be a lifeline for many homemakers and their families.

During the Depression, these volunteers also set up community chests and collected food, clothes and other items to give to needy and sick families. They prepared and served daily hot lunches in hundreds of schools in more than half of North Carolina’s counties. And, concerned about low literacy rates, they helped set up community libraries and bookmobiles and supplied school libraries with books.

Link.

Cool photo, Jane.

Finished Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips. It's frothy beach fun using the pantheon of Greek gods & godesses for your tabloid-level, raunchy reading. I chuckled out loud a couple of times.... Basically, entertaining fluff, imo.

Being a Greek god is not all it once was. Yes, the twelve gods of Olympus are alive and well in the twenty-first century, but they are crammed together in a London townhouse-and none too happy about it. And they've had to get day jobs: Artemis as a dog-walker, Apollo as a TV psychic, Aphrodite as a phone sex operator, Dionysus as a DJ.

Even more disturbingly, their powers are waning, and even turning mortals into trees--a favorite pastime of Apollo's--is sapping their vital reserves of strength.

Soon, what begins as a minor squabble between Aphrodite and Apollo escalates into an epic battle of wills. Two perplexed humans, Alice and Neil, who are caught in the crossfire, must fear not only for their own lives, but for the survival of humankind. Nothing less than a true act of heroism is needed-but can these two decidedly ordinary people replicate the feats of the mythical heroes and save the world?

See for me if they don't bite I have no issue with them. In fact I find them quite lovely. And generally auspicious. I've had the opportunity to hold various snakes in the wild and their skin is warm and sooo smooth and the way they move is exquisitely graceful. If there are poisonous biters in the vicinity I definitely keep my eyes open and my distance and hope for the best.

:eek:

So far we are.  I like the writing ... Terry Pratchett is very clever with the phrases he uses.  DD and I are listening to this as an audiobook but we aren't far into it yet because for the last week I've been leaving her at home while I run errands so I can listen to my Georgette Heyer book.  *Worst Mom Ever*  

Are you finished with The Wee Free Men?  Did you enjoy it?

LOL! on the worst mom ever!   There have been times mine had to find their own dinner while I finished a book.

Yes, I enjoyed The Wee Free Men.  As much as I enjoyed it, I would like to actually read it.  My auditory skills are lacking and I know I missed some things along the way.

I took the dcs on an organized nature walk with a group of home ed friends two years ago when we were visiting Florida.  Ds had a blast,  saw 3 poisonous snakes and a couple poisonous spiders.  Loved it.   :)  Dd was so panicked I thought she would pass out,  she kept saying very quietly how safe England is creature wise.  No more nature walks for dd where there is apt to be much nature. ;(  I promised never to take her on anything like that again, admittedly that walk was a bit more natural than I had expected or Dh would have came too.  They both remember alligators  so at least no one freaks out about those when we visit and see several. :lol:

Your poor dd!  That would have been me!  I knew I liked England for a reason!

On the book front, I'm reading Monuments Men.  It will take me a while, for while I'm enjoying it, it is non-fiction which is never a quick read for me.

Too many posts to quote so here goes some thoughts

Snake memories:  Traveling with my family way back when about 8 years old in Florida. We stop at a road side market and on the front porch is a large cage with a humongous black snake. We talk dad into letting us hold the snake while he takes a picture.  Too bad I can't find the picture, but it is me and my three sisters spread out holding this snake.  My dad asks the owner how long have you owned the snake.  The guy say, "don't own it, just found it yesterday."  Dad made us put it back pretty quickly.

Travel forward 15 years and snake handlers traveling with pythons for a show are at our Georgia mall.  Fearless me is holding this humongous, heavy python and it laying pretty relaxed across my shoulders and both arms spread wide.  Doing perfectly fine until a couple girls walk up, see the snake and scream.  At which point it starts squeezing and trying to wrap itself around me.  I had to give up the snake because those darn girls (and some guys) just couldn't stop themselves from screeching at first sight. .  Though I like snakes, I've never wanted one for a pet.

Had a close up and personal with a water moccasin once (again in georgia) - just blasted it with my boat paddle and got the heck out of dodge. 

Now in California - we are at the confluence of two rivers - the Sacramento and the American which I've been rafting on both.  Lots of fun and never seen any snakes what so ever.  Water is usually freezing year round though since we get the snow runoff from the mountains. 

Audible.com --- love it, love it, love it.  Well worth the price.

All this talk about Freud and Jung reminds me I have C.G. Jungs Memories, Dreams, Reflections in the stacks waiting to be read.

The flavorwire list of best fiction of 2014 makes me feel woefully ignorant as I'm not familiar with any of them except for the only one you guys have talked about - Boy, Snow, Bird.

Love the picture, Jane. 

Yeah for Angel reading Monuments Men.

I finished Gabaldon's Dragonfly in Amber.  Liked Outlander better, but found myself drawn into the historical aspects,  although found it a bit confusing. Couldn't quite keep it all straight.    Next up is the final book in C.E. Murphy's Walker papers Shaman Rises which was just released. 

Currently reading and listening to First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones and had the fit of the giggles which really made my cat look at me strangely over this exchange:

My fore-parts, as you so ineloquently put it, have names.â€

I pointed to my right br**st. “This is Danger.†Then my left. “And this is Will Robinson. I would appreciate it if you addressed them accordingly.â€

After a long pause in which he took the time to blink several times, he asked, “You named your br**sts?â€

I turned my back to him with a shrug. “I named my ovaries, too, but they don’t get out as much.â€

Robin, your post reminds me of a related yet very different sculpture:

These horses made from dead apple trees were in the Grand River in Grand Rapids, MI, for a competition called Art Prize.  The artist who created “Stick-to-it-ive-ness: Unwavering pertinacity; perseverance", Richard Morse, is a cancer survivor who positioned his horses going upstream.  I love how he took those dead branches and brought them back to life.

Wow, that is so cool and so sci fi esque - makes me think of all kinds of alien movie type things.

Art Prize! That takes place in a town about 45 minutes away from me. :) I didn't get to make it this past year. *pout* But I have many artist friends who were involved in it.

Still working through the same two books. I just want a day where I can sit and do nothing but read. Please? Not for me but I bought my eldest daughter her first chapter book and she was squealing thrilled this morning. She's 6.5 and has been ready but wasn't confident that she could do it though she's ripping through the easy readers. It's pure fluff but it's the first Nancy Clancy chapter book and she was in l-o-v-e with the Fancy Nancy readers. Can I just say there is quite possibly no greater joy that to see your children love reading too? 

All this talk about Freud and Jung reminds me I have C.G. Jungs Memories, Dreams, Reflections in the stacks waiting to be read.

I read that in uni and loved, loved it. And it prompts a memory of a paper I wrote for a third year Shakespeare class in which 20 year old Shukriyya attempts to expound on the intersections and themes arising between 'King Lear' and Jung's 'Answer to Job'. Talk about biting off more than one can chew. And I had to get special permission to write it because it wasn't on the list of suggested topics, none of which I liked. But I felt a little like this after I got to work...

It made me think of a fictional book I read & enjoyed a few years ago: A Curable Romantic.

Starred Review. Skibell's fat, cheeky, and sweeping latest begins in early 1895 Austria when his endearing protagonist, young Dr. Jakob Sammelsohn, comes face-to-face with Sigmund Freud in a room full of mirrors that create an ironic "unending trail of Freuds." Eventually, the story follows Sammelsohn through the shadow of Freud, the arms of several lovers, and eventually to the Warsaw ghetto, providing a grand portrait of Eastern Europe, but it is the initial setup of Sammelsohn as a naiÌêve crucible for Freud's vicarious obsessions that makes Skibell (A Blessing on the Moon) more of a social satirist than a straightforward portraitist. In the figure of Sammelsohn, we see the timid makings of the modern psychoanalytic man: the young doctor is, at heart, a lonely romantic led into a bungle of overanalysis in a world "glittering with the usual accoutrements of late-century masquerade," sporting the foolish instrumentation of "monocles, lorgnettes, pince-nez, stickpins, watchfobs" and an "assortment of impractical hats." Skibell's delicious juxtaposition of Sammelsohn against the cocainesnorting Freud, and Sammelsohn's infatuation with the "cruel, vindictive, haughty, caustic, dismissive, even murderous" character of Emma Eckstein, one of Freud's patients, make for a magnetic collection of personalities.

And, it made me think of a book I've had sitting on my to-read list for a couple of years: An Anatomy of Addiction.

Stacia, your first book link reminded me that today I listened to an interview on NPR with Alan Furst. The name was incessantly familiar as I listened along to a very entertaining and engaged interview. I kept thinking, 'where have I heard this name?' Now I'm thinking perhaps it was Jane who brought him to my attention saying she very much enjoyed him? Or was it someone else? At any rate he was talking about his new book, Midnight in Europe, which looks rather fascinating though I've got no room on the tbr list at this point.

I think Alan Furst has been mentioned by Jane. And, a book I read recently, a 1930s spy/thriller type book (written by Eric Ambler) sort-of created the genre. If I'm remembering correctly, both John le Carre & Alan Furst got inspiration/followed the style of Eric Ambler (who was another author Jane originally mentioned).

Shukriyya-- was the Alan Furst interview today? The only things that popped up when I googled was from 2012.

In the pit this week for Hairspray! Having a great time with a terrific group of musicians down in the deep pit. Have no idea what's going on up on stage. It's like a radio play but with lots of measure counting! Sometimes there are 60 measures of rests before I come in.

Shukriyya-- was the Alan Furst interview today? The only things that popped up when I googled was from 2012.

In the pit this week for Hairspray! Having a great time with a terrific group of musicians down in the deep pit. Have no idea what's going on up on stage. It's like a radio play but with lots of measure counting! Sometimes there are 60 measures of rests before I come in.

Yes, this morning. Linky

I just ordered the Portals to Freedom, which I'm looking forward to reading back-to-back with the account of Judah Halevi's (much earlier) pilgrimage to the Holy Land that I recently completed; and I am soooo happy to see that Immortal Heroines is available on KLL   :001_rolleyes: ... now I have something lined up for July...

will either of these give me a reasonable overview of the basics of the faith tradition itself (tenets or principles, ritual, observances etc)?

Pam, now I feel motivated to read Portals to Freedom. I've been meaning to for years. My parents have it. Going to also look into the Judah Haley book you mentioned :). 

As far as a reasonable overview, one of the books (really a short book, I think) that I'm sending you should cover all that, or at least some of it. 

Love Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean.  Like Thin Blue Line.  But have never made it through a single episode of Blackadder.  We own them all,  somewhere.......

My favourite is Thin Blue Line :D. Mr. Bean is okay - a bit annoying for me at at times, but some funny stuff. I love Rowan Atkinson. 

Stacia, your first book link reminded me that today I listened to an interview on NPR with Alan Furst. The name was incessantly familiar as I listened along to a very entertaining and engaged interview. I kept thinking, 'where have I heard this name?' Now I'm thinking perhaps it was Jane who brought him to my attention saying she very much enjoyed him? Or was it someone else? At any rate he was talking about his new book, Midnight in Europe, which looks rather fascinating though I've got no room on the tbr list at this point.

Yes, I am the Furst fan. There is something about the Paris of the past and Eastern European underground during WWII that completely fascinate me.  Thank you for the interview link too.  The interview was KQED based--and not on national NPR--so I would not have stumbled upon this if you had not linked it.

I think Alan Furst has been mentioned by Jane. And, a book I read recently, a 1930s spy/thriller type book (written by Eric Ambler) sort-of created the genre. If I'm remembering correctly, both John le Carre & Alan Furst got inspiration/followed the style of Eric Ambler (who was another author Jane originally mentioned).

Your memory is spot on!  Ambler, le Carre and Furst are all authors whom I enjoy.

My favourite is Thin Blue Line :D. Mr. Bean is okay - a bit annoying for me at at times, but some funny stuff. I love Rowan Atkinson. He's said to be very serious in real life (and a good friend of Salman Rushdie - read that in Salman's memoirs earlier this year). Our daughter loves Blackadder. I haven't really seen any episodes, but all in all I'm absolutely in love with British telly. I love it so much that I have a Pinterest board on it.

/quote]

I have to say most of my favorites are on your board. I didn't see Vicar of Dibly which I think you would enjoy. Dawn French set loose on on wacky little village.

Since I have been dusting books this week, I have amassed a large stack for the neighborhood Wee Free Library.  It appears that a former teacher has also been cleaning shelves since the Wee Free is well stocked with children's lit.  My massive giveaway stack won't fit so I am placing two or three books at a time in the box, giving me more opportunities to scrutinize the incoming--as though I need more books in my to-be-read piles!

Today I discovered a new (for me) author, Elizabeth McCracken.  The novel is The Giant's House which was a finalist for the National Book Award in '96.  Just a few days ago, the Financial Times published an interview with her.

What is the best piece of advice a parent gave you?

My father once said, when we were trying to decide whether to order a bottle of wine or individual glasses, “Prudence favours the bottle.†I don’t know whether that’s the best piece of advice but it’s certainly the one I quote most often. My mother told me never to do anything for the principle of the thing – that is, don’t dig in your heels for an idea if it won’t do anyone any good at all. That’s pretty good, too.

Shukriyya, this image makes.my.day...

I read that in uni and loved, loved it. And it prompts a memory of a paper I wrote for a third year Shakespeare class in which 20 year old Shukriyya attempts to expound on the intersections and themes arising between 'King Lear' and Jung's 'Answer to Job'. Talk about biting off more than one can chew. And I had to get special permission to write it because it wasn't on the list of suggested topics, none of which I liked. But I felt a little like this after I got to work...

ETA photo snip: chipmunk with very full cheeks

How often have I felt like this, lol!  Now I have a picture to go with the sentiment...

This looks very interesting, but why must it be 608 pages. Sigh.

I felt the same thing. Along with the outbreathing sigh. My current book, 'The Firebrand' is over 600 pages and I think that's why I'm dragging my feet with it. The story is accessible and engaging but the thought of sustaining it for another 400 pages gives me pause. I used to think nothing of reading a book this length. I know it's got something to do with internet usage and the hyper-links in various articles that draw one's attention away from the thought at hand over and over again...

Shukriyya, this image makes.my.day...

How often have I felt like this, lol!  Now I have a picture to go with the sentiment...

It's an image that matches up rather viscerally with the phrase doesn't it :smilielol5:

Well, I've passed the halfway point in The Little Book. The pace is picking up and we are seeing the reason for the detailed back story. The twists, turns, and connections  of fortune and time are coming  quickly now. Some were expected, others are surprising. Even the expected revelations are slightly different than it was thought they would be.

oh my!  So, how long did it take you to write?