Menu

Justina Pelletier

JoJosMom

finally - I wish the original doc from boston children's would be held accountable, because his hubris set all of this in motion.  Maybe social workers in the state won't be so quick to jump into and pick sides in a disagreement between two respected medical insitutions.  but I'm not holding my breath.

the question I have for anyone dealing with mitochondrial disease - if she starts being treated for it again, will she physically recover?

finally - I wish the original doc from boston children's would be held accountable, because his hubris set all of this in motion.  Maybe social workers in the state won't be so quick to jump into and pick sides in a disagreement between two respected medical insitutions.  but I'm not holding my breath.  I agree!

the question I have for anyone dealing with mitochondrial disease - if she starts being treated for it again, will she physically recover?

I wonder the same thing

I am glad the family was able to be reunited.

But Fox News bias strikes again...... "Justice for Justine". it makes it sound like the hospital is being ruled against here. It's not.  DCF ruled that the family, which has been going through counseling, has met their requirements to make reunification appropriate.  They have lifted the contempt order against her father as well.

The family is free to sue the hospital- and I suspect they will. But nothing about this current court case indicates fault on the part of the hospital or child services.

But Fox News bias strikes again...... "Justice for Justine". it makes it sound like the hospital is being ruled against here. It's not.  DCF ruled that the family, which has been going through counseling, has met their requirements to make reunification appropriate.  They have lifted the contempt order against her father as well.

The family is free to sue the hospital- and I suspect they will. But nothing about this current court case indicates fault on the part of the hospital or child services.

I sure do hope that's coming in the form of a civil lawsuit!

The family did what they had to do to free their child.  That is a sign of desperation, not evidence of the validity of the case.

And, I'm sorry, being returned to her family after being held against her will seems like a pretty good choice of words to me.

finally - I wish the original doc from boston children's would be held accountable, because his hubris set all of this in motion.  Maybe social workers in the state won't be so quick to jump into and pick sides in a disagreement between two respected medical insitutions.  but I'm not holding my breath.

Damage is damage. The body does have an amazing ability to recover from damage of course, but it would be the sort of recovery a brain injury patient might have. The body will repair if it can to the extent it can. This would apply to any organ damage due to poorly/non-functioning cell mitochondria.

However, I imagine at least some, and maybe (I hope) most of her symptoms are due to deficiencies developing and poor function of her cells from being withheld her mitochondrial medications. My son was very sick before he started the protocol. He recovered lost skills/function and energy very quickly when we got deficient levels of carnitine particularly up for him. Side note: The mito protocol doctors use is mostly supplements you could buy online. She's likely taking specific form of coq10 that has been given orphan drug status, and is probably on prescription carnitine as well. But the mitochondrial protocol is so benign. That perspective makes this case even more tragic, if that's possible.

Essentially she may recover, yes, if there isn't actual organ damage. But mito does damage organs. Every mito patient is different. I haven't followed her decline, because I found this case infuriating and terrifying both, so I'm just speculating from my own experience.

It ought to cost people their jobs and cause a complete rework of the system. I know they will never admit fault or take that kind of official action due to liability. Hopefully their hearts know the truth. In this case, maybe a lawsuit/large settlement would make others think twice in the future. I hope so, because this hasn't been the first family affected by the same sort of thing.

Damage is damage. The body does have an amazing ability to recover from damage of course, but it would be the sort of recovery a brain injury patient might have. The body will repair if it can to the extent it can. This would apply to any organ damage due to poorly/non-functioning cell mitochondria.

However, I imagine at least some, and maybe (I hope) most of her symptoms are due to deficiencies developing and poor function of her cells from being withheld her mitochondrial medications. My son was very sick before he started the protocol. He recovered lost skills/function and energy very quickly when we got deficient levels of carnitine particularly up for him. Side note: The mito protocol doctors use is mostly supplements you could buy online. She's likely taking specific form of coq10 that has been given orphan drug status, and is probably on prescription carnitine as well. But the mitochondrial protocol is so benign. That perspective makes this case even more tragic, if that's possible.

Essentially she may recover, yes, if there isn't actual organ damage. But mito does damage organs. Every mito patient is different. I haven't followed her decline, because I found this case infuriating and terrifying both, so I'm just speculating from my own experience.

It ought to cost people their jobs and cause a complete rework of the system. I know they will never admit fault or take that kind of official action due to liability. Hopefully their hearts know the truth. In this case, maybe a lawsuit/large settlement would make others think twice in the future. I hope so, because this hasn't been the first family affected by the same sort of thing.

dudeling is an aspie - and I take him to a naturopath who treats him with supplements, including some that are prescription dose. they do make a huge difference in his functioning.  I've learned alot about what to look for in quailty and form.   the allopaths always tell me it's a waste of my money.  (it's worth every penny and even my pharmD. candidate dd can see the difference, despiste getting propagandized in school about what a rip off supplements are.)

this case is a complete travesty.  they were following the medical advice of a respected insitution and with good results.  then someone arrogrant idiot lacking real-world medical experience comes along.  yes, some people really do need to lose their licenses. from what I've read, the family does plan on some lawsuits - *after* they get her back in their own custody.  I'm sure they'll never take her to massachcusetts again.

As a headline writer, I suspect you're reading a lot into the editor's alliteration.

As a headline writer, I suspect you're reading a lot into the editor's alliteration.

Well, let's look at the first paragraph:

A Massachusetts judge ordered the 16-year-old Connecticut girl, who was taken from her family by child welfare advocates more than a year ago, to be returned to her mother and father effective Wednesday. The ruling caps a long-running medical custody dispute that began when two highly-respected Boston hospitals clashed over the girl's diagnosis. The case sparked national outrage, and led Lou and Linda Pelletier, of West Hartford, Conn., to wage a bitter legal battle.

She was "taken from her family" but now the judge ordered her to be returned, the conclusion of a "long running medical custody dispute".   Which seems to carefully sidestep the basic facts of the story. The child welfare agency is the group who came to the court to request reunification. 

Well, let's look at the first paragraph:

A Massachusetts judge ordered the 16-year-old Connecticut girl, who was taken from her family by child welfare advocates more than a year ago, to be returned to her mother and father effective Wednesday. The ruling caps a long-running medical custody dispute that began when two highly-respected Boston hospitals clashed over the girl's diagnosis. The case sparked national outrage, and led Lou and Linda Pelletier, of West Hartford, Conn., to wage a bitter legal battle.

She was "taken from her family" but now the judge ordered her to be returned, the conclusion of a "long running medical custody dispute".   Which seems to carefully sidestep the basic facts of the story. The child welfare agency is the group who came to the court to request reunification. 

Attempting reconciliation is statutorily required.  Which was only adhered to in this case when the media and politicians began breathing down the necks of the so-called child welfare advocates. Talk about "carefully sidestepping."

In any event, I pray that the child may begin to recover from the damage done to her medical condition while she was in the custody of the child "welfare" authorities.

:confused:   I don't get the same impression at all from the title, merely that she got justice, which was to be released from state custody which she was placed into because two doctors disagreed and her parents agreed with the physician that didn't have physical possession of her. I thought that was incredible injustice--to be separated from one's family for a year over a medical dispute with the state siding with one doctor and the parents with the other.

I didn't see anything in the article either saying or  implying the hospital is ruled against.  Could you quote it for me? 

Here's the article from the Boston Globe: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/06/17/judge-orders-custody-justina-pelletier-returned-parents/mDWtuGURNawSuObO0pDX4J/story.html  

I think that there is a huge injustice when the state can take custody of a child when two reputable physicians disagree and the parents wish to follow one physician's advice over another's. That is not an area that the state should step into.

The parents appeared to be obstinate to the point of shooting themselves in the foot to me. The Boston Globe article described intervention by high level state officials, but it also sounds like the parents finally sucked it up and did what CPS told them to rather than asserting  that CPS didn't have the right to be telling them what to do. While I agree that CPS shouldn't have taken custody, I don't think it's ever wise to buck the people who have control over your kids' life. They could have done that after custody was returned to them to make a case.

It will be very interesting to see the progress of the teen once she is back in parental custody and to hear her story as soon as she is able to tell it.

But Fox News bias strikes again...... "Justice for Justine". it makes it sound like the hospital is being ruled against here. It's not. DCF ruled that the family, which has been going through counseling, has met their requirements to make reunification appropriate. They have lifted the contempt order against her father as well.

Wow. Read the facts, from multiple sources. I don't see how anyone could side with the hospital here. There should be social workers and hospital admins fired in numbers over this one. The judge, who has colluded before, should be investigated and removed. The research dept of the hospital and the physician should be under medical board review.

And the parents should be getting millions from all of the above in damages, and for their infinite patience when they refrained from gathering a posse and forcibly taking back their child who was being medically neglected and damaged after being kidnapped.

This case is clearcut kidnapping and government tyranny.

My 2 girls have mitochondrial disorders and they are on a lot of supplements.  I think all can be bought over the counter but are prescriptions due to the levels given.

Kids can progress and regress with mito and each child is different so it is hard to know. Hopefully she will improve when back with her family and on the proper mito cocktail.

Wow. Read the facts, from multiple sources. I don't see how anyone could side with the hospital here. There should be social workers and hospital admins fired in numbers over this one. The judge, who has colluded before, should be investigated and removed. The research dept of the hospital and the physician should be under medical board review.

And the parents should be getting millions from all of the above in damages, and for their infinite patience when they refrained from gathering a posse and forcibly taking back their child who was being medically neglected and damaged after being kidnapped.

This case is clearcut kidnapping and government tyranny.

I don't side with the hospital, not sure where you got that impression. I just think the reporting was sloppy and sensationalistic.

But I do think the rest of your post is pretty ....... out there.   Wowsa. And  when I think of Mr. Pelletier, "infinite patience" is not exactly the image that comes to mind.