Menu

Where to find an affordable magnetic whiteboard?

I have been putting off buying a larger whiteboard for a long time due to the expense, but I just can't stall anymore. I need something fairly large. I have been checking our local Craigslist without finding anything. Other ideas? Cheap online vendors?

Well, you might look at dryeraseboard.com.  Also, you might check Amazon and see if there are any on sale. I usually put stuff in my cart and wait til the price drops to something I am willing to pay (if it ever does).  If money is an issue you can create your own with paint but those are not necessary easy to deal with or all that effective.

I have a friend that bought several small magnetic boards and a convention and then attached them together somehow on a cork board backing.

How big are you needing and what is your price range?  I have an excellent roll around magnetic dry erase that I got on sale.  I have to run but I can find the vendor when I get back if you are interested in something really large.

Best wishes.

I wasn't able to find one (though I admittedly didn't look around too long). We are using tile board (also called shower board, I believe). DH trimmed it & made a tray for markers. It works very well, especially considering the cost. It isn't magnetic, though. I've considered attaching magnetic sheets to it, but haven't found it necessary.

I have persused some online vendors and didn't find prices that were in my budget. I also checked out the paint thing and came to the same conclusion.

That's an interesting idea to put together some smaller boards. I'll have to think about whether that could work for us. 

I need something around a 4'x4'. It needs to be wall-mount and my budget is < $200, although I'm starting to think that's impossible.

Sorry, I should have clarified <$200 shipped. Oftentimes the shipping is as much as the board. You lucked out at the Habitat Restore! I wonder if Goodwill gets whiteboards.

I have a 2x3 whiteboard right now from Target. It is way too small and has all the usual problems with a cheapo board. I was doing a little googling earlier and got to thinking that maybe it would be possible to diy a set of sliding smaller magnetic boards. Then I could keep my phonics tiles on one, do math on another, etc. Tricky part is figuring out how to mock up a frame like that. But DH is extremely handy, so maybe.

We use a gigantic shower board from Lowe's that is mounted to the wall. I bought a sheet of metal from Lowe's that I used for spelling. I got the idea from someone else here in the boards. Both were cheap. I like to hide the board used for spelling because I am afraid children will lose the tiles. I have a mini panic attack each time one can't be found.

You can just get sheet metal from Home Depot or Lowe's. You could attach it to the front of your board using command strips or liquid nails if you wanted it to be permanent. I wish I would have tried mounting it to the back of my tile board, I'm not sure if the tile board would have been too thick for it to have worked, though.

Take a magnet to your local auto parts store and find a large drip pan. No sharp edges, cheap, and very effective for magnet use. 

I have multiple whiteboards because DH's company was moving offices and allowed employees to take any furnishings that weren't being moved-which included whiteboards and bulletin boards. I ended up outfitting half our HS group, I think. Unfortunately, in a computer engineering firm, magnetic wasn't a priority.

Don't mount it on the wall big like that, unless you have some kind of motor control issues and need to stay large motor.  I've used Board Dudes boards in around a 17X23 size board with my dd for YEARS and love, love, LOVE them, highly recommend.  You can have one for each person.  They're large enough to do the math for junior high/high school physical science, algebra, diagram sentences, etc. etc.  

Board Dudes 17" x 23" Plastic Frame Magnetic Dry Erase Board with Marker and Magnet (50030BDUA-4)

We use letter tiles and such so I need to be able to store all that on the board and still have lots of room for writing. But my dh gave me the thumbs up on the sliding smaller boards, which would be perfect. That way I could leave stuff up on different subject boards and not have to erase.  :hurray: