Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW25

Robin M

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the talk about birds had me looking for photos of the ones we have saved from the cats.

39310_165579110119482_1725560_n.jpg

This is from 2010 from when we saved a hummingbird from Gracie.  After it got over being stunned, flew off.  We've been up close and personal with blue jays and mockingbirds as well.  They come back to visit occasionally, hanging out and bugging the cats.

10471196_819358674741519_575396566242261

Man, now I'm craving chocolate after reading this. Has anyone tried Chocolove bars?

I have, and I've liked them, too.  I hope you get your chocolate fix soon.

I bought my dad The Martian based on the recs here. Hope he likes it. I haven't read it yet

I read it in April and have been recommending it to others.  It's hard to imagine someone not liking it, so let us know what he thinks.

Regards,

Kareni

Man, now I'm craving chocolate after reading this. Has anyone tried Chocolove bars? I lived for Chocolove Cherries and Almonds in dark chocolate when I was nursing my dairy allergic baby.

Chocolove_bar1.jpg

Dh is our chocoholic. We got him a Chocolove (and an Endangered Species and a Ghirardelli) for his birthday. This one may still be untouched...hmmm...will go check cupboard. Nom, nom, nom--yes, that's lovely. It's the 65% Dark Chocolate bar--very smooth and creamy. (Dh won't mind. He shares). I've enjoyed the couple of dark chocolate, almonds, and sea salt bars that I've tried recently--I think an Endangered Species and a Ghirardelli. The girls have decided they like milk chocolate better than dark chocolate--Seattle Chocolates has many varieties that they like. Their chocolate and peanut butter is awfully good. We do like the good stuff here but won't turn down a Hershey's Kiss or a Kit Kat bar.

But all of this has nothing to do with books. Carry on.

Ok, I just sat down & plowed through the rest of Mink River this afternoon & evening.

Community is the beating heart of this fresh, memorable debut with an omniscient narrator and dozens of characters living in Neawanaka, a small coastal Oregon town. Daniel Cooney, a 12-year-old who wears his hair in three different-colored braids, has a terrible bike accident in the woods and is rescued by a bear. Daniel's grandfather, Worried Man, is able to sense others' pain even from a distance and goes on a dangerous mountain mission to track down the source of time with his dear friend, Cedar. Other key stories involve a young police officer whose life is threatened, a doctor who smokes one cigarette for each apostle per day, a lusty teenage couple who work at a shingle factory, and a crow who can speak English. The fantastical blends with the natural elements in this original, postmodern, shimmering tapestry of smalltown life that profits from the oral traditions of the town's population of Native Americans and Irish immigrants. Those intrigued by the cultural heritage of the Pacific Northwest will treasure every lyrical sentence.

If there's one book I've read so far this year that I would recommend (I know, I know -- I recommend plenty already, lol), it would be this one. It's about nothing & everything. Storytelling that is completely gorgeous. I loved it.

(Plus, with all the bird lovers in this group, I think you would enjoy the various bird characters & birds chittering, chattering, & conversing in this book. :) )

The Times Literary Supplement has an interesting book review/ article on the literature of mystery cults, from Apuleius to Dan Brown. It almost comprises a reading list for anyone interested in the subject.

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1421161.ece

What an interesting read. Thank you for linking the article. I found that I had read many of the authors/books mentioned in the article, mainly through serendipitous choices through the years.

And you're in Edinburgh...I love Edinburgh. Dh and I spent our honeymoon mainly in Scotland many moons ago. Of course, this included Edinburgh. Happy and safe travels.

Both Wales and Scotland are on my list of places where I'd like to do a trekking holiday. 

Yes, I would love to visit Scotland. Also, love the dialects. Growing up, I had an extremely strong Welsh accent. Whenever we visit, I have a hard time keeping a straight face  :lol:. 

I grew up near here - Rhossili Bay in Swansea, Wales - it moved up to No. 9 from last year's No. 10 spot of the World's Best Beaches. 

Snowdon is tomorrow's destination.  I will think of you if we are able to climb.  Sunny weather predictions.  :lol:

Enjoy! We went there once MANY years ago - almost 40 years ago!

What an interesting read. Thank you for linking the article. I found that I had read many of the authors/books mentioned in the article, mainly through serendipitous choices through the years.

And you're in Edinburgh...I love Edinburgh. Dh and I spent our honeymoon mainly in Scotland many moons ago. Of course, this included Edinburgh. Happy and safe travels.

Strictly, we're on the other side of the firth from Edinburgh, but we get frequent day trips. Good place for a honeymoon! Ours is a working vacation (working for dh, vacation for me and the girls...).

And what are you doing up at 3 a.m., when only the Europeans are posting? I know where you live. ;)

Having only been to Edinburgh and Stirling, I have barely scratched the surface of Scotland.  And I'd love to go to Snowdon--although there has been something completely magical for me about the area around Aberystwyth ever since I read A String in the Harp.  We had planned on hiking along that part of the Welsh coastline with a visit to Snowdon last summer but plans changed when it became clear that spending time in Kent with my son's girlfriend and her family was a far better thing to do. 

My tbr stack has Wide Sargasso Sea, Mr. Fox and the 2nd Flavia title.  The college boy and I are impatiently waiting for the next Robert Galbraith (aka JKRowling) mystery to be released this week.  We'll probably be listening to it while doing a jigsaw puzzle together...

Ooooh!  Galbraith's  next book is out this week?  I will have to pre-order it from the library.  I am looking forward to this one.

I finished Cruel Beauty last night.  I'm not too sure what to make of it.  I loved the writing,  I loved the story but it became very confusing towards the end.  I'm not really sure what exactly happened. I hate books that leave me with more questions than answers  so I am a bit ambivalent about this book.

I am hoping to finish Holy Day by Carolyn Weber in the next few days  and I am also starting the next book in the Incorrigible Children at Ashton Place series,  The Hidden Gallery.

Yes, I would love to visit Scotland. Also, love the dialects. Growing up, I had an extremely strong Welsh accent. Whenever we visit, I have a hard time keeping a straight face  :lol:. 

I grew up near here - Rhossili Bay in Swansea, Wales - it moved up to No. 9 from last year's No. 10 spot of the World's Best Beaches. 

Oh, that beach with its surrounding headlands is breathtaking! And Negin, I love the thought of one of our BaWers with a Welsh accent :D Have you lost it completely?

Strictly, we're on the other side of the firth from Edinburgh, but we get frequent day trips. Good place for a honeymoon! Ours is a working vacation (working for dh, vacation for me and the girls...).

And what are you doing up at 3 a.m., when only the Europeans are posting? I know where you live. ;)

Ah, day trips definitely count by my reckoning regardless of the side of the firth.

HA! I was engaging in that great tradition of using the interwebs to avoid working on a report of a call I didn't really want to run anyway. Paperwork, or in this case, electronic paperwork, is the bane of my professional existence.

(And, by the by, guess what's on tap for the Solemnity of Sts Peter & Paul? Yes, it's the obvious selection; but, we haven't sung it for quite some time. <pauses while VC runs through her mental list of pieces suitable for such an auspicious occasion. it's a short pause> Yes, it's the Palestrina "Tu es Petrus".)

(I'd still give it up for Edinburgh. ;) )

Also, I started this reply around 7:30 this morning. I'm finishing it around 10:15 because the muses/EMS gods/etc were cruel to me. AND I'm wearing eau de stale cigarette after my first late call. Grr...

Heck of a way to earn OT.

Still coughing enough that I'm staying up way too late at night. At least last night, I felt like reading.

I finished Ru by Kim Thúy. As I mentioned earlier, it is similarly structured to Mink River, many vignettes criss-crossing & running through, using a kaleidoscopic effect to create the story. I didn't like it quite as much as Mink River (& there's a rub because it's always hard to judge the book that comes after one you love), but still felt it was a masterful story giving a glimpse into a world I didn't know.

I have now started The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad. (It is worth reading the linked article, imo, to hear how the book came into being.) After reading a few Pakistani books I've enjoyed, I checked the A year of reading the world blog & saw that she had read this book as her selection from Pakistan. It was also shortlisted for the Man Asian Literary prize in 2011. So far, it's harsh, brutal, & an interesting look at an area of the world which we often hear about in the news (Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iran border areas), but know very little about the tribal groups living in that area.

Traditions that have lasted for centuries, both brutal and beautiful, create a rigid structure for life in the wild, astonishing place where Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan meet—the Federally Administered Tribal Lands (FATA). It is a formidable world and the people who live there are constantly subjected to extremes—both of geography and of culture.

The Wandering Falcon begins with a young couple, refugees from their tribe, who have traveled to the middle of nowhere to escape the cruel punishments meted upon those who transgress the boundaries of marriage and family. Their son, Tor Baz, descended from both chiefs and outlaws, becomes “The Wandering Falcon,†a character who travels throughout the tribes, over the mountains and the plains, in the towns and tents that comprise the homes of the tribal people. The media today speak about this unimaginably remote region, a geopolitical hotbed of conspiracies, drone attacks, and conflict—now, told in the rich, dramatic tones of a master storyteller, this stunning, honor-bound culture is revealed from the inside.

Jamil Ahmad has written an unforgettable portrait of a world of custom and compassion, of love and cruelty, of hardship and survival, a place fragile, unknown, and unforgiving.

And, from the A year of reading the world blog, her final comments on the book (which seem spot-on):

This is that rare breed of writing that springs from deep love and knowledge of a place and the people who live there. It is not saccharine, picture-postcard sentimentalism, all rose-tinted nostalgia; nor is it explorer’s obsession, tripping over itself in its eagerness to analyse and explain. No: it is a love that has been forged and tempered by years of living in and absorbing a region in all its beauty, brokenness, brutality and brilliance. Astonishing – and well worth the wait.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Good/Fine; 2 = Meh; 1 = Don't bother

2014 Books Read:

01. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (5 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

02. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (3 stars).

03. Aiding and Abetting by Muriel Spark (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

04. Sunjata by Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute (5 stars). Around the World – Africa (Gambia & Mali).

05. The Lunatic by Anthony C. Winkler (4 stars). Around the World – Caribbean (Jamaica).

06. The Joke by Milan Kundera (4 stars). Around the World – Europe (Czech Republic).

07. One Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen (3 grudging stars). Around the World – Asia (Japan).

08. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (5 stars).

09. The French Connection by Robin Moore (4 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

10. The Way Through Doors by Jesse Ball (4 stars).

11. Eat for Health by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. (4 stars).

12. Lotería by Mario Alberto Zambrano (1 star).

13. Fantômas by Pierre Souvestre & Marcel Allain (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (France).

14. The Ways of White Folks by Langston Huges (5 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

15. Asleep in the Sun by Adolfo Bioy Casares (3 stars). Around the World – South America (Argentina).

16. Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett (5 stars).

17. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi (5 stars).

18. Boxer, Beetle by Ned Beauman (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

19. Blood Oranges by Kathleen Tierney (3 stars).

20. Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen (4 stars). Around the World – South America (Argentina).

21. The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason (3 stars).

22. The Fig Eater by Jody Shields (5 stars). Around the World – Europe (Austria).

23. Broken Verses by Kamila Shamsie (4 stars). Around the World – Asia (Pakistan).

24. I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal (5 stars). Around the World – Europe (Czech Republic).

25. My Kind of Girl by Buddhadeva Bose (3 stars). Around the World – Asia (India & Bangladesh).

26. Background to Danger by Eric Ambler (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (Austria).

27. Aurorarama by Jean-Christophe Valtat (3 stars). Best Cover Art.

28. The Magicians by Lev Grossman (2 stars).

29. Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon (4 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

30. Decline of the English Murder by George Orwell (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

31. The Miracle Cures of Dr. Aira by César Aira (4 stars). Around the World – South America (Argentina).

32. The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil by George Saunders (3 stars).

33. Mink River by Brian Doyle (5 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

34. Ru by Kim Thúy (4 stars). Around the World – North America (Canada) & Asia (Vietnam).

The Times Literary Supplement has an interesting book review/ article on the literature of mystery cults, from Apuleius to Dan Brown. It almost comprises a reading list for anyone interested in the subject.

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1421161.ece

Fascinating. Makes me want to read all the books mentioned! Thanks for posting.

Loving hearing about your Scotland travels, btw!

You guys are all talking about chocolate that I can't have. :sad:   

:( sorry. 

Negin, I love the thought of one of our BaWers with a Welsh accent  :D Have you lost it completely?

Pretty much. But if I'm there for a while or around them, it can change slowly. As a child, my accent was very strong and I had a Welsh costume :D. 

Still coughing enough that I'm staying up way too late at night.

:grouphug:  Sorry to hear that. That stinks. At least you can read and are enjoying it. Hope you feel better very soon. 

Love those two covers, btw :D.  

Pretty much. But if I'm there for a while or around them, it can change slowly. As a child, my accent was very strong and I had a Welsh costume :D. 

Description of a Welsh costume would be appreciated :D   ETA -- VC beat me to it.

Stacia,

Speaking of chocolate, did y'all know it is National Fudge Day.   Have a cupcake!

I'll be doing my part by having some chocolate fudge brownie ice cream when I get home from work. 

Bookwise, finished Lora Leigh's latest in her Breed series - Rule Breaker.  An erotic series not for the faint of heart and have to start the series from the beginning to know what's going on. 

The chunky dusty shelf has been calling to me and Claire's been calling the loudest, so dove into Dragonfly in Amber

Guess its my R rated week! :lol:

Pictures, please.

The one picture of me in one, is very dark. I really need to scan it and fix it. 

Description of a Welsh costume would be appreciated :D

This is perfect - since it was most likely taken in the early '70s. Mine was exactly like these. Then a year later, we moved back to Iran (before all the horrible rubbish going on there) and the international school we went to had a day where we all wore international costumes. My sister and I wore these, rather than our Persian costumes, since my mom thought it would be different and cute. Everyone kept asking us, in all seriousness, if we were dressed as witches  :lol:. 

The one picture of me in one, is very dark. I really need to scan it and fix it. 

This is perfect - since it was most likely taken in the early '70s. Mine was exactly like these. Then a year later, we moved back to Iran (before all the horrible rubbish going on there) and the international school we went to had a day where we all wore international costumes. My sister and I wore these, rather than our Persian costumes, since my mom thought it would be different and cute. Everyone kept asking us, in all seriousness, if we were dressed as witches  :lol:. 

eth611.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a traditional Welsh costume before. I should know this since I have Welsh ancestors on my maternal side.

Funny the comment about the witches.

Oh my, those are some stellar costumes! And everyone looks so cheery. I didn't realize that Iran was your country of origin. One of my favorite singers is from there.

Beautiful and inventive. Well worth my time. I saw an NPR feature that described it; let me find the link... http://www.npr.org/2013/04/12/177067528/book-review-the-blue-fox

Edited to add: I picked this book up because I saw it on Robin's list -- last year, I think?

Sounds fascinating, thanks for the link. I think my tbr pile is audibly groaning - and may soon reach a tipping point.

Guess its my R rated week! :lol:

Next thing we know, Robin's going to be discussing...

<wait for it>

Man Candy! :001_tt2: :lol:

Everyone kept asking us, in all seriousness, if we were dressed as witches :lol:.

Bet you & your sis were adorable in your 'witch' costumes! ;)

Beautiful and inventive. Well worth my time. I saw an NPR feature that described it; let me find the link... http://www.npr.org/2013/04/12/177067528/book-review-the-blue-fox

Edited to add: I picked this book up because I saw it on Robin's list -- last year, I think?

Ah, thank you!

I also just finished Heart of Iron by Ekaterina Sedia. This was on one of Robin's steampunk lists from earlier in the month. I really enjoyed that one. Set in Eurasia right before the Crimean War, there are elements of steampunk, fantasy, and historical fiction with an alternate ending. It also had Spring Heeled Jack in it! It was a bit meatier than some of the other steampunk I've seen around due to the historical fiction aspect, but not so heavy that it takes away the fun of steampunk. It had mixed reviews, but taking it for what it was, I enjoyed it.

Oh, need to look for this! Definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy!

I think I'd rather skip Ulysses but eat the fudge and sniff some flowers!

Yeah, me too.

Stacia Blue Fox is on its way.

Thank you! :grouphug:

<insert happy dance>

I am now moving on to The Illusion of Separateness  of Simon Van Booy.  I don't  know anything about this book other than it was on one of the Best of 2013 lists that was linked to  here at BaW.   I'm always nervous about reading books that I know little about.   I am also reading  Notes From A Blue Bike  by Tsh Oxenreider--a book about living intentionally,  something I always need to read about.

Stacia,  how are you feeling this morning? 

I am now moving on to The Illusion of Separateness  of Simon Van Booy.  I don't  know anything about this book other than it was on one of the Best of 2013 lists that was linked to  here at BaW.   I'm always nervous about reading books that I know little about.   I am also reading  Notes From A Blue Bike  by Tsh Oxenreider--a book about living intentionally,  something I always need to read about.

Stacia,  how are you feeling this morning? 

Thanks for asking, Julia. :grouphug:  Actually, still not great. I had thought I was finally improving, then felt really run-down & terrible yesterday. Still slow today.

Looking forward to your review of both of those books. More & more I find myself not really reading descriptions of books, just deciding to read them because of a recommendation (from here/friends &/or a list I trust) or because I like the cover, trusting & hoping I will enjoy it. If I don't end up liking it, I just stop reading. I guess I'm finding I dislike reading much about the book ahead of time because it often (for me) it spoils the surprise/wonder/joy of a new story. I'd rather fall in blind & discover it, rather than knowing the major plot points ahead of time.

I've actually done that a lot with books this year. I didn't know anything about The Goldfinch, for example, other than it was Donna Tartt's new book. I've loved her other two books, so I knew I wanted to give The Goldfinch a try. (Plus, if you read plot summaries, they don't always entice you. I'm not sure I would have wanted to read The Goldfinch if I read the summary first -- I might have assumed the story wouldn't appeal to me.) Mink River too. I was actually starting to walk out of the bookstore in Seattle when I saw it on a shelf as I passed & recognized the cover as something I had put on my 'want to read' list a couple of years ago. (I have no idea where I originally heard about it or why I had put it on my list, just recognized the cover.) So, I picked it up & bought it, knowing or remembering nothing about the story ahead of time. There have been other books like that too....

I also tend to skip any sort of introductions or prefaces put in books (& will usually read them afterward).

After I read books, I enjoy going & reading some summaries & opinions of them.

What about all of you, my BaW friends???

I'm  reading Dodger by Terry Prachett. It is based on Oliver Twist.  I found it amusing right from the start, even though  the story is not currently funny. The author chose to use a long paragraph of descriptive prose to contain the opening lines, which, when boiled down, equaled "It was a dark and stormy night."

Well I don't even like chocolate and you've all got me craving some (I'm more of a salty chip/creamy brie type...)

Anyhoo....finished # 34 A Student of Weather, by Elizabeth Hay.  I enjoyed it.  A story about two sisters, one 8 and one 17, who are as different as night and day.  A "handsome stranger" walks in to their 1930s Dust Bowl days in Saskatchewan.  He is studying weather and farming or something like that (not a stickler for details obviously).  Both fall in love with him.  The story chronicles the lives of the family from the time the youngest was 8 until she was in her 40s and the effects of this stranger on all of them.  It was very well written, although the story wasn't quite as good as the characters or writing.

I have started (almost a week ago and am only on page 17) To Rise Again at a Decent Hour.  It is yet another one of those all blue covered books...and that is about all I can say so far.  I will probably read through Lost in the River of Grass, a YA book my son has been assigned as summer reading from his school.  Honestly, it looks more interesting than anything I have in my TBR pile.

2016 will mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death. Apparently a project has been started that will have various popular writers (Anne Tyler, Jo Nesbo, Gillian Flynn, Margaret Atwood, etc...) of today releasing their versions of Shakespeare's classics. Info here:

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/feature/sweet-swan-man-booker

http://www.vintage-books.co.uk/about-us/Hogarth/The-Hogarth-Shakespeare/

Stacia, praying that you feel better soon!

I told myself I'd focus on Written In My Own Heart's Blood because the story is good. Then I'm like, "Just the prologue and one chapter of The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks..." Perhaps not the greatest choice but it definitely has sucked me in!

Here's hoping I'll continue to find reading opportunities because we just accepted the placement of a 3 month old foster son today. Small babies aren't always conducive to reading. ;) We'll see if he gets to stay, he has a relative who just expressed interest after he was placed here. If you're a praying person, please do pray for him because his story is heartbreaking. 

Actually, still not great. I had thought I was finally improving, then felt really run-down & terrible yesterday. Still slow today.

More & more I find myself not really reading descriptions of books

Stacia, take care of yourself and hope you get as much rest as your body needs. 

Like you, I barely read descriptions of books anymore.I also don't like to read a book if I know too much about it beforehand. I feel the same about movies. I barely watch movie trailers. In fact, these days I cannot stand them. They're too long and by the end of that excessively long trailer, it's almost as if they've given away half the movie! My amazon wish list is always very long.