Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW24

Robin M

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just your friendly BaW book activist, popping in for a message... :) 

:rant:

“You Root for the Authors!†Hachette Author Stephen Colbert vs. Amazon

A little more about the dispute here in the LA Times.

So, remember to support the publishers & booksellers out there that do provide competition to amazon. (And don't forget that amazon did a takeover of GoodReads last year, part of the book selling consolidation plan.)

Does anyone know more about East of the Sun, West of the Moon? I guess that's what it was based on, but I haven't had the time to figure out when and by whom that was written. Something I read said a Norwegian fairytale? I want to look more into that one. The Peach Keeper - I'm not a huge fan of Allen, but I did enjoy this book. I will say that the continuously referencing the characters' high school pasts kind of grated on me, but I read it quick enough that it was fine. A typical, cliche storyline of the true meaning of friendship, growing up into your own person, and romance. :D

Yes, it's the Norwegian version of the Cupid and Psyche myth. There's a nice edition of it and twenty other Norwegian fairy tales, edited and illustrated by the D'Aulaires.

Yes, it's the Norwegian version of the Cupid and Psyche myth. There's a nice edition of it and twenty other Norwegian fairy tales, edited and illustrated by the D'Aulaires.

Also, if you want another retelling/version of it, my dd really enjoyed East by Edith Pattou.

I have noticed, in my fairy tale research, a sudden preponderance of long, novel-length retellings of various well-known fairytales for adults or YA. I find it curious and intriguing. I've not read the one you linked, Stacia, but it's similar to others I've seen in that genre.

I was away last week.  We listened to 2 books during our car ride.  I had also finished Peter Heller's, The Dog Stars, right before I left, but I can't remember if I came here and posted about it or not. I enjoyed The Dog Stars.  I think he did a good job making me feel like the situation could really happen.  As a dystopia it didn't feel too far fetched or too far removed from reality, which made it a bit more chilling.  I want to read Peter Heller's newest book, but I may wait for the library to get it.  

During our van ride, we listened to Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (it was a collection of 4 stories). 

Seraphina was good.  I had heard of the book, but I only knew it contained dragons so I thought my boys would enjoy it.  The boys did enjoy it, but it was more of a "girl" book (I know, I don't like the term, but it's the best way to describe it).  It was long on description and interpersonal relationships, short on action.  The writing was beautiful. It was so well written, especially for a YA book.  It was great to listen to it, and it kept all of our attentions the entire trip (It was around 14 hrs long I think).  My boys are 9, 12, and 14, and all 3 enjoyed it.  

To continue the topic a little more (a list from a few years ago):

Bookshelf: Twisted Fairy Tales for the Modern Reader

I did a google search last week for the 10 darkest fairy tales. Several of those listed in your link came up. Some of the ones I read are downright grim. Two in particular, The Juniper Tree and The Little Rose Elf, are probably the most macabre with the latter taking top prize. Grim doesn't begin to describe it.

You might like to try Christa Wolf's Cassandra - it is a fascinating book.  I read a lot of Bradley in high school, but haven't been able to appreciate her since then... perhaps I should try again some day.

The only one of hers I have read was The Mists of Avalon which I read in my twenties, twice because I enjoyed it so much. The Firebrand is proving to be a good tale thus far.

The particular story I read, Ice, definitely had Beauty and the Beast elements to it. I found myself thinking about that as I read it. I haven't read Cupid and Psyche before. (The more I learn, the more I realize how incredibly much I don't know!!!) BUT....since this has all come up, maybe now is the time to buy the K.Y. Craft version that I've been eyeing forever....

I've had this in my cart for a couple of weeks, too, after eyeing it off and on over the years. And with VC's nudge it will likely be winging its way here soon.

The particular story I read, Ice, definitely had Beauty and the Beast elements to it. I found myself thinking about that as I read it. I haven't read Cupid and Psyche before. (The more I learn, the more I realize how incredibly much I don't know!!!) BUT....since this has all come up, maybe now is the time to buy the K.Y. Craft version that I've been eyeing forever....

]

And if you get adventurous, the ultimate source of Cupid and Psyche is The Golden Ass by the second-century writer Apuleius. Which is an easy read compared to most of the classics; though be forewarned that it has quite a lot of, um, adult content.

Eliana, congratulations. She is beautiful!

Loesje, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I cannot for the life of me get into A Shiver Of Light. I've fought my way to the middle of the book. *****Spoiler Alert*****

All it is is, "I had triplets! My men are hot and this is what they are wearing. My aunt can't come near my babies because she's cray-cray. I really, really want to have sex but my body hurts because I just had babies. Oh yeeaaah, I HAD TRIPLETS! My men are hot and this is what they are wearing... I really want to have sex." AAAAAAHHH, this is torture. Why am I finishing this? Maybe I'll just skim the rest.

I cannot for the life of me get into A Shiver Of Light. I've fought my way to the middle of the book. *****Spoiler Alert*****

All it is is, "I had triplets! My men are hot and this is what they are wearing. My aunt can't come near my babies because she's cray-cray. I really, really want to have sex but my body hurts because I just had babies. Oh yeeaaah, I HAD TRIPLETS! My men are hot and this is what they are wearing... I really want to have sex." AAAAAAHHH, this is torture. Why am I finishing this? Maybe I'll just skim the rest.

That about says, it Although one of her men does eventually get killed and more angst and more King nonsense.  So you may want to keep reading...or not.

Just your friendly BaW book activist, popping in for a message... :)

“You Root for the Authors!†Hachette Author Stephen Colbert vs. Amazon

A little more about the dispute here in the LA Times.

So, remember to support the publishers & booksellers out there that do provide competition to amazon. (And don't forget that amazon did a takeover of GoodReads last year, part of the book selling consolidation plan.)

Read the first chapter here of California by Edan Lepucki and if it captures your attention, order it from powells

I'm working my way through my first steampunk novel, Airman by Eoin Colfer.  Not quite done, but probably by tonight or tomorrow.  (Really enjoying it so far.  I've never read his other works, the Artemis Fowl books.)

I finished something else last week, but can't think of the name of it right now.  

Maybe I shouldn't glance at the Good Reads reviews.

Today in the neighborhood Wee Free Library box, I found what looked like an interesting novel, Some Things that Stay by Sarah Willis. In 2000 it won the Stephen Crane Award for First Fiction.  "A bit like a northern Kaye Gibbons" says the cover. 

The Good Readers tell me that the author sounds like a whiny fifteen year old.  Eugh! 

So is this a Thing that Stays (to accumulate dust for a bit) or should I return it to the Wee Free? 

Today in the neighborhood Wee Free Library box, I found what looked like an interesting novel, Some Things that Stay by Sarah Willis. In 2000 it won the Stephen Crane Award for First Fiction. "A bit like a northern Kaye Gibbons" says the cover.

The Good Readers tell me that the author sounds like a whiny fifteen year old. Eugh!

So is this a Thing that Stays (to accumulate dust for a bit) or should I return it to the Wee Free?

I say, life is too short not to heed advice. Plenty of books in the sea.

On the other hand, Amazon reviewers give it 4 1/2 stars....

Today in the neighborhood Wee Free Library box, I found what looked like an interesting novel, Some Things that Stay by Sarah Willis. In 2000 it won the Stephen Crane Award for First Fiction.  "A bit like a northern Kaye Gibbons" says the cover. 

The Good Readers tell me that the author sounds like a whiny fifteen year old.  Eugh! 

I would probably just return it.  After reading that I doubt that I would ever really enjoy the book if I did pick it up and read it.  I try to wait and read the reviews after for that reason. :lol:

I finished Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris.  Someone here described it as a continuation of her Shakespeare series.  It was but since I really don't remember the character who crossed over not a problem.  Also there was all the background I needed so not a problem for new readers imo.  That being said it was a book I started off really liking and it just deteriorated as the pages moved on.  Not bad just not as good as it could have been,  disliked the end.  Gave it a 3* in the end.

And yet a quick search indicates that Amazon readers paint a different critical picture with the majority (46) of the total reviews (61) being 5 star.

Thanks to VC, Mumto2 and Shukriyya for scanning the Amazon reviews. Isn't that interesting that Amazon's star count is higher than Good Reads? 

It is true that there are so many good and great books out there.  Why bother with the mediocre?  Maybe I'll do a first chapter test drive.  (I feel the dust accumulating...)

On an alarming related note on Monday I downloaded all six Flavia de Luce books to DD's iPod hoping that would keep her busy for a few weeks.  On Friday she told me she was done with them.  I assumed she meant the first book.  Nope.  All of them. How am I going to keep this kid in audiobooks this summer?!?!?  All suggestions for good YA series would be appreciated.  Double points if they are looooooong.   

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede, start with Dealing with Dragons (4 books in the series) - this is excellent in audio

Dragons in Our Midst ( has some Christian content), start with Raising Dragons (I think there are 12 books currently) -- ALL of older dd's friends have read and loved these books and now younger dd and her friends have read and loved these.  

Michael Vey series by Richard Paul Evans, start with The Prisoner of Cell 25 (only 3 books so far, will be 7)

The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale, begin with The Goose Girl (4 books) - one of older dd's favorite series ever, as well as The Princess Academy and the sequel 

Dd13 says The Mysterious Benedict Society books (currently 4 maybe) they are chunksters.

Dd19 says definitely the Shannon Hale books and Dragons in our Midst books because it is really long  :D

I assume she has read/listened to The Chronicles of Narnia.

No matter where I am purchasing a book from, I always look at the Amazon reviews - the good and the bad to see what the complaints and likes are about the story.  Funny that I can usually read through the lines with the complaints. Some of those folks are just downright negative even if the story is good.  They just have a need to complain.  In other words, I don't read Goodreads reviews and rarely write more than a couple lines which is just more for me to remember than anyone coming behind me.   I rarely rely on Goodreads except for finding books, then off to amazon to check it out.

What I liked about the series was Alexia's sense of humor and how it played through the whole book and how the characters played, reacted, connected with her.  I think if it had been a serious tale, I wouldn't have liked it as much. There was a sense of the ridiculous which made it a fun read. 

I've ready plenty of books with vampires and werewolves and remarkably they've all been a bit different in how they treat the myth of the creatures.  I guess I like that element of danger either one presents because you never quite know which way they are going to go.  I guess it all has to do with the author and the personality of the given characters and how they react in each story.  Plus the stories take me out of my world into a fantasy for which we've already discussed... I don't mind my feet or mind, not being planted firmly on the ground. 

Gail Carriger: I'm not a paranormal fan. I don't read many vampire/werewolf books, but I did enjoy how Carriger fit the vampires and werewolves into Victorian society. They weren't hidden in the dark underbelly. They had gifts which fit into the empire and made them prominent in society. It gives her the chance to explore prejudice, class, and politics.  It also made the steampunk elements of the novel more realistic (IMO) because the vampires are a stabilizing element pushing invention. I also liked that Carriger didn't take it too seriously. The base made for great romantic adventure fluff (although the first two are a bit steamy it levels off after that) with fun characters. 

:iagree:  with both!!  

Stacia - Are you sneaking in my house and peaking at my nightstand?   :laugh:   I just picked up Wee Free Men for her (and me!) to read.  Our library doesn't have them on audiobooks.  I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find them.  I'll report back to you and your DS on how we like them.

I have been listening to Wee Free Men for a month (not great at audio books LOL).  You really should see if you can find it somewhere on audio!  The voices are amazing!  I have laughed out loud numerous times!  I'm getting close to the end now.  It's been fun.

Amy, another option is that Gail Carriger (Soulless author) has a YA series that starts w/ Etiquette & Espionage. I read the beginning of it once & it seemed like it might be fun.

Dd13 just read this last week.  She couldn't put it down!  I enjoyed it also!  Actually, Dd, ok I'm tired of calling them dd, geesh.  Dd13 is Aly.  Aly actually wanted me to include this book for Little Librarian to read.  

We weep in joy and we weep in sorrow. 

One life ends as another begins. 

We celebrate a life well lead and

the wonders of a new life and what is ahead.

Hugs and love to both loesje and Eliana

Yes to both!

I was able to see the picture right away.  She's simply lovely!  Here's hoping that you are already at your dd's and cuddling the sweet thing as we speak.

My husband is amused at the fact that I checked out a paper copy of the book Kindle Paperwhite For Dummies by Leslie H. Nicoll to better learn how to use the thing.  But, hey, I'm about half way through, and I've already learned some handy tidbits.  (I can make a collection now!)

Now if only I could figure out how to return my library books early.  I did it twice a week ago but now can't figure out what exactly I did.

Regards,

Kareni

Not bookish but I just discovered Inspire Pro app for my Ipad and here's my first amateurish attempt as I played and figured out how it all worked.  Now I have something to help me get creative for making book markers and things....... 

10453367_816537985023588_897014594072464

I'm working my way through my first steampunk novel, Airman by Eoin Colfer.  Not quite done, but probably by tonight or tomorrow.  (Really enjoying it so far.  I've never read his other works, the Artemis Fowl books.)

I finished something else last week, but can't think of the name of it right now.  

I didn't  know  that Airman was a steampunk novel.   Hmmm.  I think I will put it on my TBR list.

I remember it as being fun, but the further I got into the book, the more the liberties taken with the period started to bother me... though I could just have been in a crotchety mood at the time.

Move over, my crotchety friend.  I'll join you in the grumpster corner...

And Only to Deceive is predictable. Eliana made note of her displeasure as the novel progressed.  Unfortunately I felt that as the plot became more contrived, the dialogue went downhill. The idea behind the book is fun--but I am disappointed.

As I am in need of writing that has withstood at least a small test of time, I turn to Somerset Maugham.  The Narrow Corner shall whisk me away to Pacific island adventures. 

A list of 17 Books We Loved in 2013. I know it's a few months old, but now is the time to start requesting those great 2013 books from the library & actually have hopes of getting them. I like this list because of the ones on it that I've read (The Flamethrowers, The Goldfinch, Bleeding Edge), I've loved; that gives me hopes that the other suggestions are great too. Off to go see if my library has copies of the others....

And continuing on my book activist platform, here's a list of 15 Classic Children's Books That Have Been Banned In America. Sounds like some great summer reading with the kids to me.... :D

That's one bizarre list.

Yes, Buzzfeed anything is quite bizarre and rather entertaining. The "Recommended For" for each book is hilarious. #17's "recommended for" is rather weird/disturbing/and wacky at the say time   :lol:   :leaving:.

A list of 17 Books We Loved in 2013. I know it's a few months old, but now is the time to start requesting those great 2013 books from the library & actually have hopes of getting them. I like this list because of the ones on it that I've read (The Flamethrowers, The Goldfinch, Bleeding Edge), I've loved; that gives me hopes that the other suggestions are great too. Off to go see if my library has copies of the others....

And continuing on my book activist platform, here's a list of 15 Classic Children's Books That Have Been Banned In America. Sounds like some great summer reading with the kids to me.... :D

I was apparently a huge banned book activist when the dc's were younger and didn't even know!  :lol:

The 17 books list looks great but the main library computer system appears to be down so have no idea what is available to me.  Our branch opens in less than a half hour....this whole volunteer thing is not going to be easy.  Big sigh........

Jane, Sorry you didn't enjoy And Only to Deceive more,  Dd and I are patiently waiting for the rest of that series. 

Amy,  Does your library have the Eragan series on Audio book?  They are long and enjoyable.  Written by a home ed boy at 15 which definitely intrigued my kids.

Now if only I could figure out how to return my library books early.  I did it twice a week ago but now can't figure out what exactly I did.

This took me a while too.  It's much easier to do through my Amazon "manage my content" than through my library account system, FWIW.

Um,

That's one bizarre list.

:iagree:

I was particularly struck by: Talking animals are an offense to God?  

Aside from Narnia.... Don't I remember a talking -- wait for it -- ass -- in the Bible itself?   :huh:

I was apparently a huge banned book activist when the dc's were younger and didn't even know!   :lol:

Amy,  Does your library have the Eragan series on Audio book?  They are long and enjoyable.  Written by a home ed boy at 15 which definitely intrigued my kids.

ETA to add: We're listening to Eragon at the moment -- the voices are terrific.

I finished my audio book, 'The Joyous Body', in the early hours of the morning. Not as enjoyable for me (ironically) as some of her previous material but it could be that I need some time off from her for a bit, this being the fifth consecutive audio book of hers I've listened to.

Continuing with 'The Firebrand' which I'm enjoying so far though moving fairly slowly with. Started a read aloud with ds, 'The Mistmantle Chronicles'. This is one of his favorite series and he's keen to share it with me so I'm reading aloud while he crafts and we drink tea. It's a lovely, leisurely way to spend time together.

Last night I finished Coming Home by Priscilla Glenn; I enjoyed it.

"Leah Marino hasn’t been on a date in two years. After discovering the man she loved had manipulated and deceived her, she refuses to even entertain the idea of a relationship. Instead, she focuses her attention on taking care of her family, a role she’s assumed since the death of her mother and the one place she knows her kindness won't be taken advantage of again. When a nostalgic trip back to her childhood home results in a chance encounter with Danny DeLuca, a smart-mouthed mechanic who’s as attractive as he is mysterious, Leah's carefully cultivated walls begin to crumble. She finds herself unexpectedly drawn to Danny, despite his unreliable behavior and mixed signals.

But Danny has a secret... One that could shake Leah's already precarious foundation and bring her world crashing down around her. Suddenly, she's faced with an incredibly difficult decision--is she willing to risk everything for the chance at finding the love she's always wanted? Or are some obstacles just too big for the heart to overcome?"

That secret mentioned above kept me guessing for quite some time.  I'd say to my husband, "Okay, I think that he ...." and then fifty pages later, I'd say, "No, that can't be it.  I think that he ...."

I'll be looking to read more by this author.

Regards,

Kareni

This took me a while too.  It's much easier to do through my Amazon "manage my content" than through my library account system, FWIW.

That is how we return early also. 

I took a look at the handout that I received when I took my library's Kindle class.  And, yes, I was successful when I used the "manage my content" approach.  (I'll be saving that handout since I don't think I'll remember the process until I've done it ten more times!)

Regards,

Kareni

Oh my goodness gracious. Almost fell out of my chair laughing over some of the reasons for banning the children books. So sad really and so ridiculous. Green eggs and ham! The Lorax. seriously. What planet are these folks living on.

I gave up on Something More Than Night, just a bit too bizarre for me. Dove into M. L. Buchman's I Own The Night and thoroughly enjoying it. I think it was Kareni who suggested. Thank you. looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

We weep in joy and we weep in sorrow. 

One life ends as another begins. 

We celebrate a life well lead and

the wonders of a new life and what is ahead.

Hugs and love to both loesje and Eliana

Yes hugs to you both.

I finally finished Hare with the Amber Eyes last night.  It is one of the most extraordinary books I think I've ever read. After an intriguing beginning it slowed down a bit for me, but about a third of the way through it got interesting then down right gripping, and through it all the writing was beautiful and profound.  I found myself re-reading the beginning after I finished last night, just wanting to put it all in context.  For those who don't remember Jane talking about it, the book is a memoir of an extended family, a wealthy and successful Jewish family who lost everything in WWII. But it is also a book about art and about the objects we buy and give and keep, the meanings we attach to those objects, and the story those objects tell about us.  The specific objects in this book are a collection of Japanese netsuke, or small carved figures, one of which is a hare with amber eyes.  

I also finished Ha'penny, the second in an alternate history trilogy by Jo Walton.  I enjoyed this one more than the first and am itching to pop down to the library to grab the 3rd title in the series.

I still need to respond to a few pms about Minerva the "flat librarian" and I have yet to send her on her way.   Busy weekend and yesterday I got to enjoy having both boys home.  We got my husband a record player for an early Father's Day present (oldest ds has to work that day).  DH got to dig into his LP collection from high school, records that haven't been touched in at least 25 years,  and we introduced the kids to the joys of vinyl and loud rock n roll!