Menu

Paper vs digital planners

I paid for a month of HST online and I've watched the how-to videos and I've been putting in my courses and lesson plans and such and it's starting to make sense. And while I love the idea of having everything digital and being able to reschedule lessons really easily, I find myself really wanting a paper and pencil in my hands instead. I know that once I really get going, I could probably do so much more with a digital planner. But I want to write things down by hand! 

Am the only one? Do I need to stick it out? Or should I abandon it now before I put too much time into it and myself a really good paper planner instead?

(And this brings to mind the recently posted article from the NYT about handwriting... maybe my brain needs my hands to do the actual writing. lol!)

LOL -- I am a techie professor, and I use a paper planner.  Maybe because I've seen technology fail too many times.

I also have a "dumb phone" because I hate being tied to technology, and am uneasy about the security issues of having so much personal information on a cell phone.

Yup.  Call me a luddite.

I have tried tech planners.  I even used HST for a while.  They are great.  Very versatile.  And easy to adjust things on once you know how (rather steep learning curve, though).  

But I am with you, DessertBlossom, I don't feel right without paper and pen (or pencil).  It drives my husband nuts.  He is the king of tech and can't stand writing things down.  He wants it all on his phone or tablet or his laptop.  I just don't function well that way.  :)

I am trying a combination of both this year. I have everything input into my google calendar color coded by kid and subject (FYI-I only hs one of the two kids). I have printed out the three months of summer in color and the rest of the year in b/w (because those months are just "drafts" at this point). I purchased one of the ARC planners at Staples so I have my printed pages in that along with monthly calendar pages, the ps school schedule, and my excel schedule sheets for next year plus a password sheet for all those hs related websites and anything else that I want quick access to.

So everything is quickly available on all i accessories and my laptop but I can also cure the itch to have that pen and paper in hand. We'll see how it all works...

I've tried all on-line planners before, and it doesn't work for me.

We are now a merged homeschool....I have lots of schedules for subjects in one note, but my master planners are all paper based. I need the kinesthetic feeling of writing stuff down (helps me remember), and I need the satisfaction of marking something off.  It took me several years to figure this out about myself.

The kids all have separate paper planners....my planner has a section for me (with what I'm teaching to whom) with a schedule of what subject children should be working on on the left side. On the right is my dayplanner with things like meals to make, top 5 things to do, chore checklists, etc.  My whole brain is on a 2 page spread of paper now, and it's awesome.

I go back and forth -- I outline on paper, type details into evernote, sometimes I print out pages from the evernote to give to-do lists to the kids, sometimes they log in and use electronic to-dos.

Paper lists stick with you - you can carry them around and have a physical reminder of what should get done.  You can change them without opening a program.

Electronic ones link - I can embed videos and web pages, and "go paperless" with some shorter reading.  You can cut and paste and reshuffle without scissors and tape.  They are flexible.

Each has its advantages, but having one foot in both worlds is sometimes inconvenient.

I'm heading down a digital/handwritten path.  I want my rising 9th grader to take more initiative and print up his own assignment checkoff sheets.  I'm hoping to use Evernote to achieve that end.  I really like how he can access the info from an IPAD or PC and print the assignments up.

I've used Whaley Planners for years, and I've used the free version of Homeschool Tracker with success. The problem with all planners is changing your plans when life and school go differently than planned. Paper planners means lots of erasing, and the HS Tracker was a pain to change. This coming year I am going to use OneNote. This thread inspired me to try OneNote: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/502711-spreadsheets-for-planning-this-thread-works/?hl=%2Bonenote&do=findComment&comment=5698736

Computer planning enables me to produce a clean "To Do" list for my child with check boxes or she can check it off on her own notebook in OneNote. I like that I can embed links for her to go deeper into subjects online. 

I've tried a few online planners, and like others have said, I like the idea of the digital version.  The reality, however, is I do better with paper and pencil.  I think next year, I am going to use paper and pencil all year then purchase a month of HST online at the end and pop it all in there just to get the reports. 

I prefer paper for day to day. I can keep my binder readily with all of my answer keys and guides, whereas the computer isn't nearly as convenient. And I come up with a yearly "plan" but not a daily plan--instead, I use my daily planner more like a journal, and write in what we actually did each day. That makes it easy if we do something non-standard that day. When we get back to our regular curriculum, we just pick up wherever we left off. Here's pictures of my teacher binder, schedule page etc...

Every time I try digital, I end up back with paper & pencil.

I make up 6 weeks worth of plans via an excel programme {numbers for Mac} on the computer at a go. I print out one week at a time, cutting & pasting things around as I go based on what is or is not accomplished. I also leave blank spaces to write down what we do that isn't pre-recorded. I staple those pages together & slip them into a page protector. One page protector can hold a years worth {or has previously} that can then be slipped into my file box at the end of the year if needed. :)

The kids all have separate paper planners....my planner has a section for me (with what I'm teaching to whom) with a schedule of what subject children should be working on on the left side. On the right is my dayplanner with things like meals to make, top 5 things to do, chore checklists, etc.  My whole brain is on a 2 page spread of paper now, and it's awesome.

It sounds like you designed this yourself, and it sounds amazing!!!  If you're willing to share a template, I'd love to see it!

I prefer paper for day to day. I can keep my binder readily with all of my answer keys and guides, whereas the computer isn't nearly as convenient. And I come up with a yearly "plan" but not a daily plan--instead, I use my daily planner more like a journal, and write in what we actually did each day. That makes it easy if we do something non-standard that day. When we get back to our regular curriculum, we just pick up wherever we left off. Here's pictures of my teacher binder, schedule page etc...

Thank you!  Your link is fantastic!

Danielle, I am designing my own at this point. I am not great at attachments, but let me see if I can 

My lefthand page is just a grid I made up with these categories:

time:       child that I am working with:                          concept:                                (ds7th)         (ds3rd)        (ddK)---what these kids should be working on

10:00       third grader                                     spelling: AAS2 p. 99/ hard & soft g     history      spelling     BTSP

10:15       ds7th                                               literature p. 130-135: fiction writing    literature   h/w            h/w

and so forth....As each kid finishes their subject, I give a checkmark. I need to do this as sometimes ds3rd takes half an hour to do handwriting, but he's likely to catch up during spelling or during his Voyages in English time with me.

My right hand page is easy to share, it's from http://simpleorganizedliving.com  It's their daily printoff single. You can edit it and then print. I customized it to do what I needed to. 

I duplex print the sheets at home front/back, so that when I open up my two page spread, I have my homeschool schedule on left, and day planner on right. I had it bound professionally because it gets daily heavy use.  HTH!

Hmmm... I like the "journal" approach. Would eliminate the guilt and stress when inevitably fall behind schedule! I'm a pencil person but gave up scheduling because I couldn't easily bump unfinished work.

I make my own customized word doc planner pages (to reduce writing), and then print and use pencil.

HST is a time-sucking, rage-inducing monster.

I never used HST, but when I looked at it years ago, I had the feeling it would be that way. And why when it's so easy to make customized pages the way I want?!