Menu

6 babies have died in Nap Nanny

RoughCollie

Guest submarines

The deaths are tragic, but I don't understand how they can blame the product. Are the parents expecting the device to be their actual nanny and thus leave their babies unattended and stuff the product where it shouldn't be stuffed? It was not meant to be in a crib. Common sense, people!

The deaths are tragic, but I don't understand how they can blame the product. Are the parents expecting the device to be their actual nanny and thus leave their babies unattended and stuff the product where it shouldn't be stuffed? It was not meant to be in a crib. Common sense, people!

It actually does not surprise me that a parent would use this in a crib. It is not rare for a parent to say to themselves, "the baby sleeps well in that Nap Nanny, so we just put it in the crib." Especially among parents who do not want their babies to cry themselves to sleep. I remember how Dr. Sears had illustrations for how to slip out of a sling and hopefully not wake the baby that you just walked for an hour to get them to fall asleep. It never did look like a good idea to me, leaving a baby sleeping in a nest of fabric.

This was recalled years ago, but obviously some are in circulation still through hand me downs and yard sales, etc.

I remember the controversy during the recall because the manufacturers got into trouble for not complying with all the safety rules.  They passionately defended their product. Most (but not all) of the deaths occurred when the product was used incorrectly. But the gov't said the warning labels about use were too small and hard to see anyway.

Anyone who has one can return it to Babies R Us for a full refund, no questions asked.

It would really suck to have a great idea for a product but have to go out of business because people misuse the product.

It would really suck to manufacture a product, but some babies die in it. I think I would go hang myself.

It would really suck to have a great idea for a product but have to go out of business because people misuse the product.

It wasn't a great idea, though.   The CPSC ruled that the design posed a significant risk of injury or death, and that the warnings and instructions were inadequate from a safety perspective.  And that was after the product had been redesigned because a baby died using it exactly as instructed.

All that together tell me that this is not a company that should have been selling products designed for infants.

It would really suck to manufacture a product, but some babies die in it. I think I would go hang myself.

I didn't mean for my comment to be as callous as it came out. Sorry about that.

Given our litigious society, I'm shocked people come out with new baby products. You can't make something safe enough for stupid people.

I recently saw someone post a picture of something similar for sale at Babies R Us, wondering if it was worth the investment. It's called the Dex DayDreamer and I think maybe the only difference is higher side walls? So an item very much like this is still being sold. http://www.toysrus.com/buy/infant-positioners/dex-day-dreamer-sage-dd-grn-29311736

Those poor parents.  How horrific to go wake your child up from a nap and find out that s/he has died. :(

I also feel very bad for the manufacturer. It would kill me to have manufactured something that caused babies to die.  

:( 

I thought the same thing.  How is it the fault of the product or anyone associated with the product if someone uses it incorrectly and has a bad outcome?  I have seen this firsthand, one of the instructions states "not for use in cribs."  That is pretty clear to me.  

I didn't mean for my comment to be as callous as it came out. Sorry about that.

Given our litigious society, I'm shocked people come out with new baby products. You can't make something safe enough for stupid people.

Well, I do agree that producing baby products might be its own form of madness. I used to think that about the cottage industry moms sewing baby slings off their website.

However, babies (or children) can die or be harmed using products exactly as intended or with normal precautions being followed. Think children who were strangled by hoodie ties or died in car seats that didn't protect adequately.

I thought the same thing.  How is it the fault of the product or anyone associated with the product if someone uses it incorrectly and has a bad outcome?  I have seen this firsthand, one of the instructions states "not for use in cribs."  That is pretty clear to me.  

Leaving aside the deaths, there were dozens of reports of babies who fell out of it while harnessed.  Actually Google says: 92 reports. To have that many people have a scare bad enough to report it tells me it happened far too often.

Plus I think the scale of the 'bad outcome' here is just unacceptable.  Usually, if you use a product wrong, it break or isn't effective anymore.  If the risk is high, the consequence of incorrect use needs to be clear.   Other high-risk commonly misused products have big blaring warnings about risk of harm/death-- think of the warnings on your visor to not use car seats with an airbag, or the warnings in shopping carts to not put a car seat on top, or warnings that on plastic bags "Do not use as a toy, suffocation risk".  Etc. 

Leaving aside the deaths, there were dozens of reports of babies who fell out of it while harnessed.  Actually Google says: 92 reports. To have that many people have a scare bad enough to report it tells me it happened far too often.

Plus I think the scale of the 'bad outcome' here is just unacceptable.  Usually, if you use a product wrong, it break or isn't effective anymore.  If the risk is high, the consequence of incorrect use needs to be clear.   Other high-risk commonly misused products have big blaring warnings about risk of harm/death-- think of the warnings on your visor to not use car seats with an airbag, or the warnings in shopping carts to not put a car seat on top, or warnings that on plastic bags "Do not use as a toy, suffocation risk".  Etc. 

I'll be honest, I'm of the opinion that "do not use as a toy, suffocation risk" on a plastic bag is overkill.  I am all for safety (my kids wear helmets, use car seats, wear life jackets, etc) but there is a point at which personal responsibility and common sense need to come into play and I think that we often miss that in our society these days.  

We are becoming a world full of dependent sissies.

Guest submarines

I'll be honest, I'm of the opinion that "do not use as a toy, suffocation risk" on a plastic bag is overkill.  I am all for safety (my kids wear helmets, use car seats, wear life jackets, etc) but there is a point at which personal responsibility and common sense need to come into play and I think that we often miss that in our society these days.  

This x 1000000

I've heard jokes that when these babies die, it's The Darwin Awards in effect.

Ha ha.

I used similar devices with my first.  He didn't do so well laying flat because of reflux.  I didn't put anything in the crib, but yeah.

It seems surprising to me.  It doesn't look particularly dangerous. 

That was my first thought. It looks like a product that a parent of a reflux baby would LOVE!

One article said that baby was in a crib, next to a crib bumper. Aren't crib bumpers dangerous too?

It's horrible that those babies died. I am not completely sure the manufacturer is at fault. It does appear that a five point harness would be a better thing.

Guest submarines

That was my first thought. It looks like a product that a parent of a reflux baby would LOVE!

One article said that baby was in a crib, next to a crib bumper. Aren't crib bumpers dangerous too?

It's horrible that those babies died. I am not completely sure the manufacturer is at fault. It does appear that a five point harness would be a better thing.

There are many bouncy seats that have this kind of harness and some have very low edges too. Soon they'll be banned too, because I do know people who place them on counters, which can be dangerous.

These accidents are so tragic, and even more so because they are entirely preventable. I can understand parents wanting, even needing, to blame someone in their grief, but to ban the product because of improper use?

I really wish there was better guidance on safe sleep for reflux babies. The message I always got was, "All babies should sleep on their backs in an empty crib. Unless they have reflux, in which case they shouldn't sleep flat. But elevated is dangerous, so is swing and car seat sleeping, so just plan to not sleep for the first year. For liability reasons, we can't tell you otherwise. Also, being a sleep deprived parent is dangerous, so good luck with that. Drink lots of coffee, but also don't drink any coffee. Here's a script for Zantac that won't work."

The only advice I ever got was to elevate the actual crib mattress a bit, which always ended up with a baby turning sideways and rolling down the crib. Not helpful.

There are many bouncy seats that have this kind of harness and some have very low edges too. Soon they'll be banned too, because I do know people who place them on counters, which can be dangerous.

These accidents are so tragic, and even more so because they are entirely preventable. I can understand parents wanting, even needing, to blame someone in their grief, but to ban the product because of improper use?

I know a woman who put a baby, buckled in an infant car seat, on a store counter. The whole thing fell off, baby broke her leg. Nothing is safer than an infant car seat, right? There is just no way to idiot-proof everything.

I really wish there was better guidance on safe sleep for reflux babies. The message I always got was, "All babies should sleep on their backs in an empty crib. Unless they have reflux, in which case they shouldn't sleep flat. But elevated is dangerous, so is swing and car seat sleeping, so just plan to not sleep for the first year. For liability reasons, we can't tell you otherwise. Also, being a sleep deprived parent is dangerous, so good luck with that. Drink lots of coffee, but also don't drink any coffee. Here's a script for Zantac that won't work."

The only advice I ever got was to elevate the actual crib mattress a bit, which always ended up with a baby turning sideways and rolling down the crib. Not helpful.

ABSOLUTELY!

Not just used in a crib, but specifically in cribs with crib bumpers, according to the first report I saw in this.

CPSC recommends a bare crib, with no crib bumpers. Crib bumpers are a long-time known safety issue, yeet non-breathable crib bumpers are still widely available.

I agree that this part represents a real problem, and is probably adequate call for a recall in itself.

You win the internet today. Thanks for reminding me why ds4 was my last.

People make mistakes.  I don't know that it is necessary to assume someone is an idiot because he or she made a mistake.  It is sad, and probably very upsetting for the parent if their child is hurt, devastating if the child dies.  Of course the parents would like to find answers and the government would like to prevent future tragedies.  While I might not agree with every decision made, I don't know that a child's injury or death is something to scoff at or chalk up to the intelligence of the parent.  :(

AMEN AND AMEN!!

I do not remember my eldest dd's first year of life. She didn't outgrow her GERD until she was almost 18 months.

Oh so so true.  #2 and #3 were both reflux babies...makes for a long year. Good thing they're cute

I mean some stuff is common sense to me.  Stuff like, don't put something like that on a table. 

One effect of sleep deprivation is a decline in cognitive function. Baby doesn't sleep -> Parent can't sleep -> Parent is at risk of doing something stupid that she would not normally do, such as throttling the next dimwit who tells her to "sleep while the baby sleeps," or putting baby to sleep somewhere unsafe.  :(

The preemie/reflux/sleep thing is the main reason we didn't try for a second child.

Where ARE you supposed to put a Nap Nanny Not in a crib. Not on an adult bed, i imagine. Not on a counter or table I would bet. On the floor? Where someone could trip over them or step on them? 

I had a bouncy style seat my babies slept in for 3-4 months.  It had a 5 point harness 13 years ago, so I can't imagine why this product didn't have a better buckling system in place.  I always placed it on the floor.  I never set it on top of anything.  No one ever tripped over it or stepped on it.  It became a fixture in our house.  It had a spot on our main floor and would move up to our bedroom at night.  My kids would not sleep flat when they were very small and sleep deprivation is a very difficult thing. 

I did read that this product did say not to set it in or on anything somewhere in the packaging. 

This is horribly tragic.  :(

I had a bouncy style seat my babies slept in for 3-4 months.  It had a 5 point harness 13 years ago, so I can't imagine why this product didn't have a better buckling system in place.  I always placed it on the floor.  I never set it on top of anything.  No one ever tripped over it or stepped on it.  It became a fixture in our house.  It had a spot on our main floor and would move up to our bedroom at night.  My kids would not sleep flat when they were very small and sleep deprivation is a very difficult thing. 

I did read that this product did say not to set it in or on anything somewhere in the packaging. 

This is horribly tragic.  :(

A bouncy seat seems more elevated to me, less of a trip over it risk. But who knows. 

I actually had a nap nanny, purchased for me by my grandmother. It served its purpose well for 2 very refluxy boys. I was sorry I had not had one with my first boy who was the worst of the 3. I can honestly say it was a lifesaver and my babies looked safe in it. I didnt really use it once they were rolling very well or crawling. I used it only on the floor and never in the crib or up on high places. I can see how the straps would not be adequate for an awake baby that was very capable of getting around. I never had an issue with a sleeping baby. These are as big as a bouncy seat and no we didnt trip over it any more than we would have a bouncy seat.

The directions about its use were clear. I remember being disappointing that there was not a product similar that could be used safely in a crib, that would be so nice, but the nanny worked well on the floor.

I am sure improvements could be made. I am sorry for the families who lost their little one, but I can honestly say this baby product was very helpful with my babies that had reflux.

People make mistakes. I don't know that it is necessary to assume someone is an idiot because he or she made a mistake. It is sad, and probably very upsetting for the parent if their child is hurt, devastating if the child dies. Of course the parents would like to find answers and the government would like to prevent future tragedies. While I might not agree with every decision made, I don't know that a child's injury or death is something to scoff at or chalk up to the intelligence of the parent. :(

This is my thought, too. Any parent whose child dies goes through the "If onlys"; this is probably even more so when it is a tragic accident. "Why didn't I bolt that bookcase to the wall? I thought about it a thousand times!" "Why didn't I rush him to the ER when I noticed his fever going up?" "Why did I let him have the peppermint candy in the car?" I'm sure in my heart of hearts, before my own baby died, I smugly thought that smart, on-the-ball parents such as myself don't have babies that die. Pride goes before a fall. None of us can prevent all tragedy just by being smart, in-control parents.

Oh definitely. Those were some of the hardest moments in my life! I wondered if I'd ever feel human again. It's like walking around in a constant fog.

I'm surprised I had 2. VERY surprised.

There's a reason that there's four years between each of mine. Now tha I have a brand new one again, I'm remembering it all too well.