Menu

s/o Meat-free camping meals!

poppy

Please share your suggestions for a non-meat camping meals!
I have done pasta a lot- that is easy and good. 

Grilled cheese.

But once in a while, I'd like food that's a bit more hearty and homey, a bit less "kids menu".

Please share your ideas!

You can do baked potatoes in the fire and have an assortment of toppings. This is definitely "kid-menu" but it is fun and while we do it with meat, you could easily do it without- you take a snack size bag of fritos and put chili and cheese inside the bag and then eat it straight from the bag. I'm sure you could do chili with only beans instead of meat and beans.

Are you able to buy/make seitan?  We've used that to make shish-kabobs, which were really good.  We also do baked beans on the grill.  Along with both of those we have our (pretty much) once-a-year veggie burger and dogs, corn on the cob, and we've done pizza before as well.  Then we just have our variety of salads to go with it all.

Portobello mushroom?  How long do I need to grill if using an open grill? 

I would think--5-10 minutes (until tender) and I would put them on foil on a grill --you can also fill them with cheese and balsamic vinegar and garlic, --   I always take a metal grill when camping to put things on the fire -- (like the coffee pot or a huge pot for boiling water for dishes) but if you don't have one-- I would wrap them in foil and put them in the coals like potatoes.

Yes, I do foil packs with sliced portobello mushrooms and zucchini drizzled with olive oil. I add them to precooked quinoa or couscous and top with feta and some herb like dill or basil. Chopped fresh tomatoes are great with it too, or grape tomatoes added to the foil packet before cooking.

I also do fajitas with the meatless beef strips or portobello mushrooms. Again with the foil packs but add onions, green peppers if you like (I don't) and some fajita seasoning. After they are done, wrap in a tortilla with cheese and salsa.

Black bean soup or chili with cornbread baked on top. Easy in a Dutch oven over charcoal.

Mexican casserole works too. Layers: black beans in sauce with other veggies, cheese, tortillas repeat.

Middle eastern might work too, if you like that flavor. Ratatouille with toasted pita bread and feta on the side?

We've made individual pizzas. I buy the small pizza crusts and they just fit in a skillet. So I oil the pan, put the crust in with sauce and cheese on top and then cover it with a lie or foil. The bottom gets crispy and the cheese melts. I think it is kind of silly, but I swear the boys love pizza while camping, lol.

We like corn roasted in the coals. Potatoes, too.

Yesterday, I made fire-roasted eggplant curry. It was delicious. I roasted the peppers and onions in a baking pan on the grill.

I like grilled zucchini sandwiches, or a warm loaf of French bread topped with melted cheese and stuffed with assorted grilled and raw veg. Mmm.

Just like in the other thread, you can cook anything on a fire.