Menu

this is officially freaky (facebook)

Onceuponatime

I just uploaded a picture of my son's graduation from CC onto facebook and it automatically added his name to the post and tagged his face. I didn't type in anything. I'm not liking it. Now I'm tempted to remove every single picture I've ever posted. Should I be freaked out or not?

It's their auto tagging system that they keep messing around with. I'm pretty sure it only ends up showing the photo when someone goes to his profile, or specficially searches his name. I mean other than showing on your page.

But why it did it without you typing anything, even his name? No idea! They must be messing with things again, agh.

Guest submarines

It would have to have some kind of facial recognition software to do what it did.

This is freaky! Could it be that it read the name of the file instead? If the photo was renamed as Onceuponatime's Son?

You can always remove labels like that, and there's probably a way to turn off auto-tag. However, it's also helpful when other people put pictures of you on FB--FB lets you know. So when that frat party photo from 1992 is posted...

I just uploaded a picture of my son's graduation from CC onto facebook and it automatically added his name to the post and tagged his face. I didn't type in anything. I'm not liking it. Now I'm tempted to remove every single picture I've ever posted. Should I be freaked out or not?

Facebook can't tell most of the female members of my family apart. We look too similar.

It is definitely facial recognition software. They announced it when they started using it.

http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/221124-facebooks-facial-recognition-software-is-now-as-accurate-as-the-human-brain-dot-dot-dot-but-what-now

If I post photos of my kids, FB almost always pulls out DS1 and DS3 and assumes they're the same person. However, it knows that DS2 is different. My boys all look very much alike, but the first and third do look more alike. I find it both amusing and creepy. But I find a lot of things about FB a little creepy.

I guess I'm not particularly concerned with internet privacy at that level since I still control who can see photos tagged with my name; I don't find their facial recognition program to be creepy, freaky, intrusive, unsettling or scary. My adjective of choice would probably be "intuitive."  :tongue_smilie: Doesn't bother me at all, and as others have commented, it's not new. Facebook has been doing it for a while now. 

I have to untag most of the pictures I upload.  It does take some vigilance.

The funniest/scariest part?  Pictures of my youngest get tagged with dh's name.  Even at 3, he looks THAT much like his father!

Not necessarily. It could just be that your son has been tagged by friends and family with your husband's name frequently. I know that has happened to me: friends are constantly posting pictures of my kids from playdates and classes, then tagging them with my name, so Facebook now associates their faces with my name. 

I guess I'm not particularly concerned with internet privacy at that level since I still control who can see photos tagged with my name; I don't find their facial recognition program to be creepy, freaky, intrusive, unsettling or scary. My adjective of choice would probably be "intuitive."  :tongue_smilie: Doesn't bother me at all, and as others have commented, it's not new. Facebook has been doing it for a while now. 

Not necessarily. It could just be that your son has been tagged by friends and family with your husband's name frequently. I know that has happened to me: friends are constantly posting pictures of my kids from playdates and classes, then tagging them with my name, so Facebook now associates their faces with my name. 

Hm.  Good point!  Now I must hop on FB and do some research, lol.

Yeah, it freaks me out when it does that. The other thing I think is freaky is when I am searching something on Google, say "hotel rooms" or a certain clothing brand, and when I get on Facebook there are adds for the same thing on the sidebar.

OTOH, It always wants to tag my dd as me, not because we look alike, but because people tend to tag her as me when they post pics of her so I will see them.

Yeah, it freaks me out when it does that. The other thing I think is freaky is when I am searching something on Google, say "hotel rooms" or a certain clothing brand, and when I get on Facebook there are adds for the same thing on the sidebar.

That's just a matter of settings on your computer and perhaps on your search engine.  I also have search-history-specific ads show up on Weather.com and various other sites.  I keep meaning to change my settings to prevent it, but I tend to ignore them (the ads) anyway and so immediately forget.

My favorite auto-tag incident was last year when Facebook ignored all of the faces in a photo and wanted to tag my daughter's shoe.  

Guest submarines

Until they have a glitch and everyone can see everything. Like that never happened before.

It is only illusion of control + convenience that makes people think that they have control over their FB privacy.

Until they have a glitch and everyone can see everything. Like that never happened before.

It is only illusion of control + convenience that makes people think that they have control over their FB privacy.

People don't truly have control over their online privacy in general--even if you have no Facebook account. I recently discovered that several of my college yearbook photos are online and searchable by my maiden name. I don't mind at all, but at the time those photos were taken, the assumption was that they would only ever be used in the printed yearbook.