Menu

Some Math Mammoth questions

I feel like I've been living under a rock. Why have I not looked at this more closely?!?

I have been reading MM threads ALL day (way too long) and so I just want to consolidate my questions here.

1. Is MM considered rigorous, average, or behind  (I realize that leaves a lot for interpretation, but I still want to ask.)

2. Is MM easier to teach than Singapore? (I had trouble juggling all the books and information in Singapore.)

3. Would my dc be prepared to go into any pre-algebra book after completing MM6?

4. We'd be looking to come from Saxon to MM at level 4. (We have also done a decent amount of Singapore, plus the Fan Process word problems.) Should the transition from Saxon 3 to MM 4 be pretty seamless?

5. Is there anything glaringly missing or that you felt needed supplementation?

I'm kind of seeing MM as being more like the Singapore approach to math, but with the hand-holding of Saxon and not being maybe quite as abstract as Singapore.

Any other thoughts, pros or cons?

1. I think MM is considered less rigorous than Singapore IF you would be using Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice with Singapore. Of course, you can use CWP and IP with MM (which is what I'm currently doing with my oldest).

2. My oldest is 9 and does his lessons independently. If he seems to have a hard time with a concept, I have him read it aloud. If he still can't get it, I do an example with him. He's been doing fine, and transferring the knowledge to CWP. He is in 4B. So, is it easy to teach? YES, because I don't have to teach it! :-) (Happy dance after 5 years of RightStart! Whoop!)

3. I think so. I think people have also transitioned into Pre-A after 5, if they have done CWP/IP concurrently. Haven't personally crossed that bridge yet.

4. Take the placement test. I was conservative with placement because I didn't want to frustrate my child, with learning both hard, new math and learning to learn it himself. 

5. I think there are a lot of problems, but it isn't spiral! That is why I don't coordinate CWP/IP with MM - I figure that adds our review as well as extension.

I didn't really like MM at first because I loved RS and it is completely different. That said, the teaching seems to be good, my son likes it, and he transfers the skills well. :-) It is growing on me - especially the independent part!

Emily

My son switched from saxon 2, mostly done, to mm and had to start at mm1. Do the placement test! I think mm is ahead, at least in the beginning, than mm. It's a different way of teaching too. She tells you to think of MM chapters as an outline for the year of topics to be covered. In saxon I could never tell what topics we touched on, covered, or mastered. In mm I can check them off. Because I have the 1-6 set I can also pull the section from the next grade if my son wants more of a certain topic. So, for example, we can do money from first and second grade together. MM is so easily adaptable for acceleration and or interest led math.

I can't answer all your questions but:

1) I would definitely consider MM somewhere between average to rigorous. My oldest is bright in math and only went through MM 5 before switching to pre-algebra and that's also what I plan on doing with my next kid. Even being revised, the upper levels are especially above-average.

3) I guess that answers your question about being prepared for pre-algebra as well. I'm sure it depends on what pre-algebra you use, but they might be prepared after MM 5, never mind 6. After 6, they'll probably find some pre-algebra to be review.

5) I don't think anything needs supplementing unless your child needs a lot of review. MM doesn't have as much review as other programs.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. You all have been very helpful. I looked over placement tests for my ds and dd. DD finished Saxon 1 and there is no way she could go into MM2; she was easy. :) DS has finished Saxon 3 and after going over the placement test with him, he is awful close.  After agonizing over this all day, I ended up just purchasing the 3rd grade review workbook. I will know pretty quickly if he needs to go back to 3B or can proceed into 4A. I have taught him 99% of what was on that placement test, he just hasn't had a ton of review of the mental math, although we did a TON of that when we did Singapore earlier in the year, so it was all familiar to him. I'm going to have to think about what to do with my daughter. I'm thinking of maybe just buying the whole she-bang if we like this workbook.

I checked today and they didn't, do you know how often they do that? MM is offering 30% off everything through 5/31, but I don't know if dh is going to be ready to do it that quickly.

Disclaimer: We are biased in Math Mammoths favor. We love it here!

I feel like I've been living under a rock. Why have I not looked at this more closely?!?

I have been reading MM threads ALL day (way too long) and so I just want to consolidate my questions here.

1. Is MM considered rigorous, average, or behind  (I realize that leaves a lot for interpretation, but I still want to ask.)

I didn't do a lot of curriculum hopping or anything so I can't compare to other HS materials really, I do have experience with math instruction and I think that MM is, in a word, solid. I don't know what people on these boards mean when they say 'rigorous' anyway and a part of me suspects that they don't either. I can say that the MM, compared to what my local public school uses is a doggone miracle book of math instruction, but I think that enVision Math is just gross.

2. Is MM easier to teach than Singapore? (I had trouble juggling all the books and information in Singapore.)

I have never used Singapore, but assuming one uses the textbook, workbook, CWP and HIG, I can't imagine how using 4books per semester is easier than using 1 book. Math Mammoth is self contained and the teaching is in the worktext, the problems are in the worktext, the word problems and the guides are all in the worktext. I loved it.

3. Would my dc be prepared to go into any pre-algebra book after completing MM6?

Yes. Absolutely, my boys finished MM6 and are skipping pre-algebra entirely and going straight into algebra and so far we are not having any trouble. However, we used Algebra Readiness Made Easy grades 1-6 as well, but I think they'd be able to wing it, even without having done ARME as a supplement.

4. We'd be looking to come from Saxon to MM at level 4. (We have also done a decent amount of Singapore, plus the Fan Process word problems.) Should the transition from Saxon 3 to MM 4 be pretty seamless?

No idea, I've never used Saxon. There are placement tests and grade review books available though, so you should be able to find some reasonable entry point into the series.

You may need to do more review than is in the scope of Math Mammoth, they aren't good about thorough review as you go on, but thats because Math Mammoth is a mastery based curriculum. I think their geometry units can be a little...involved, but my youngest always especially loved the geometry sections in MM.

I'm kind of seeing MM as being more like the Singapore approach to math, but with the hand-holding of Saxon and not being maybe quite as abstract as Singapore.

I have no idea, I've never used Singapore or Saxon.

Any other thoughts, pros or cons?

We've had nothing but success with MM here, we loved it and are milking it for all its worth. Having finished MM6 we are now doing select units from the gold and green series just to solidify some things and doing Algebra 1 now too.

Disclaimer: We are biased in Math Mammoths favor. We love it here!

Which select units of gold & green are you using? We bought the whole shebang, and I hadn't thought of going straight to Algebra but I'll admit that the Pre-Algebra content I was starting to look into looked a little bit like some review???

Thank you, Gil! That review was great. By rigorous, I just meant that I want it to be challenging and that I want it to prepare the kids should they decide they want to pursue math as they go into jr. high and high school. I don't want something that just "gets them by", even though that can be sufficient in and of itself.

I got 1-6 last August for 50% off. It's challenging for my kids, but easy to teach. I do the same as another poster. They read it and try. If they have questions or problems, I have them read it out loud. If they still have issues, we'll work a problem together. They went straight from ps math to MM so I don't have any other HS curriculum to compare to. We haven't gotten to pre-algebra yet so I can't help you there. We'll find out in the fall how that will go. My only complaint is that it ends at grade 6. I'm hating having to find a new curriculum for upper Maths.

I got 1-6 last August for 50% off. It's challenging for my kids, but easy to teach. I do the same as another poster. They read it and try. If they have questions or problems, I have them read it out loud. If they still have issues, we'll work a problem together. They went straight from ps math to MM so I don't have any other HS curriculum to compare to. We haven't gotten to pre-algebra yet so I can't help you there. We'll find out in the fall how that will go. My only complaint is that it ends at grade 6. I'm hating having to find a new curriculum for upper Maths.

There is reported (rumored?) to be a MM7th grade coming, though I haven't seen any news about it for a while.

You could always email her and ask about that.

Confusingly, if you don't know math, then you can't use MM.  MM does not teach math per se, and there is not a TE.  However, I find that it is very good at covering topics for grade level and my girls always placed well on the testing.  When dd returned to PS for a year at her request, she was actually ahead of the average student, but behind the advanced students.  (She was behind one book in MM from grade level.  I think that says a lot for the program.  She was well-prepared, not math-oriented, and behind in her math work; yet, she managed very well in a typical math class, an "A".)  That alone should be encouraging.

2. Is MM easier to teach than Singapore? (I had trouble juggling all the books and information in Singapore.)+

N/A  I have not used Singapore.

Absolutely.  Some grades move faster than others. You could actually finish MM6 in the fifth grade depending on the student.  I am using Saxon pre-Algebra with the Gold and Green workbooks.  We study the "teaching" portions in the text and solve the problems from MM.

I really like Saxon 5/4 through 8/7.  However, my second likes Saxon, but it does not move fast enough for her or the littlest.  You could leave Saxon and return for pre-Algebra without much effort at all.  Mine adapted easily. The scope and sequence are not that different from each other.  So, yes, the transition is easy.

We struggled with the word problems.  This was my lack of being able to teach word problem solving strategies.  This was fixed with a few workbooks.  We used the MIRL from MM too.  I bought the entire set.  They are great for applying math skill to real life situations. With MIRL, I have the Gold and Green workbooks too.  I bought them not for 1-6, but for when I I would pick up pre-Algebra and Algebra.  They are not needed, but nice to have for 7/8 grade.

Confusingly, if you don't know math, then you can't use MM.  MM does not teach math per se, and there is not a TE.

Your comments were super helpful, thank you. In regards to the quoted above - there is some instruction, right? It looked like on the sample that there was a short blurb introducing the lesson and a couple sample problems. I tend to go search for alternate ways to teach a topic anyway, so I think I would be okay??? Now, I'm a little concerned about that.

I found Singapore to be difficult to teach and only used it for  year before moving to MM. I LOVE how clear the instructions are in MM. There is no TE, but all the instruction is in the workbook and it's pretty easy to follow. I have not had trouble teaching from it once yet and I've gone through grades 1-4 now.

Confusingly, if you don't know math, then you can't use MM. MM does not teach math per se, and there is not a TE.

I don't agree with this. I am "average" in math. I think MM does a good job of breaking down everything in such small steps that it appears like there is not much instruction, but it is so incremental, the small steps increase and the work is actually doing the teaching. IMHO anyway. ;)

ETA my experience is based on the light blue series-- the complete curriculum. I couldn't comment as to the other series.

We've been using MM since 1A and are now on 5A. I love MM! I wish this is the way I had been taught. To me it's so logical, and DS, coming from MCP Math previously, understands so much better. He's a whole to parts thinker and MM works really well for him. He understands the why behind the mechanics, and Maria's explanations are so clear and incremental that, like a previous poster mentioned, I get it right away. Only now in decimals I find that for the first time Maria's explanations are not as clear as mine (to him), but I have no problem explaining to him. I had him watch Maria's free online videos on this subject as well. If he still is not clear on something, I reinforce with Khan Academy. I find no better program for me to teach (and relearn) than MM. Like BFSU, it has made our homeschooling much more effective.

I would also disagree with not being able to use it unless the parents really knows math. We are only up to 4B to perhaps it gets more difficult as you progress, but I haven't found if difficult to use so far. It might be a bit of a change for parents who like the scripted lessons approach.

I have the Light Blue (full curriculum) series, and I think it's good value for money (especially if you buy it with the 30% off). Some people supplement with the worksheet sets (Gold and Green) but I just use the additional worksheet generator that you get with the Light Blue for anything that we want extra practice on. 

Ps - Is it just me, or is the name kind of non rigorous sounding? Mammoths sound sort of soft and snuggly (well the cuddly toy does, not real ones, obviously); I was thinking it might sound more rigorous if she'd called it, say Miller Mathematics.

Actually, let me clarify and quote ...

Math Mammoth gives the teacher various tools, such as the main worktext, links to games, additional worksheets, and cumulative reviews & tests, but I have not spelled out what exactly should be done, or when, or how.

MM does not teach.  The curriculum has the tools for you to teach.  While the text is very clear and has plenty of explanation, both times through (and now a third), it is not a substitute for a teacher or teaching math.  Most importantly, the first and second grades involve a great deal of one-on-one instruction, demonstration, and then independent problem practice.  Drill work is a must, and I use the links to worksheet generators and software provided from MM.  You will need to be flexible and focus on the mastery, as well as set your own review when needed, if needed.  

So, why MM?  MM is best suited to follow the child's individual progress and speed.  A parent can teach themselves with the text prior to teaching the child.  The text alone is not enough for the child, but it is for the parent.  It is very flexible as you plan your subject content for the year/grade.  With a multitude of presentation matter, you can review, test, and teach much easier than with other texts.  For some kids, the text needs to be more flexible and not near as rigid, which is why I always have Saxon as a reference and not the primary. I think that you understand now that MM is a set of tools and not a teacher, which is why I say that you have to know math or you cannot teach the math.   :)  When you learn it is not the point.  You could learn the concept the day before!  You just need to prepare on your own.  MM does not prepare you - remember ... tools only.

MM is mastery too.

MM does not teach.  The curriculum has the tools for you to teach.  While the text is very clear and has plenty of explanation, both times through (and now a third), it is not a substitute for a teacher or teaching math.  Most importantly, the first and second grades involve a great deal of one-on-one instruction, demonstration, and then independent problem practice.  Drill work is a must, and I use the links to worksheet generators and software provided from MM.  You will need to be flexible and focus on the mastery, as well as set your own review when needed, if needed. 

Are we talking about the same curriculum? I completely disagree about it not teaching. 

Now, we come in at 4B with a strong math background. I would not expect any curriculum to teach the child in 1st or 2nd grade, but the teaching is definitely there by 4B.

Emily

Actually, let me clarify and quote ...

So, why MM?  MM is best suited to follow the child's individual progress and speed.  A parent can teach themselves with the text prior to teaching the child.  The text alone is not enough for the child, but it is for the parent.  It is very flexible as you plan your subject content for the year/grade.  With a multitude of presentation matter, you can review, test, and teach much easier than with other texts.  For some kids, the text needs to be more flexible and not near as rigid, which is why I always have Saxon as a reference and not the primary. I think that you understand now that MM is a set of tools and not a teacher, which is why I say that you have to know math or you cannot teach the math.   :)  When you learn it is not the point.  You could learn the concept the day before!  You just need to prepare on your own.  MM does not prepare you - remember ... tools only.

MM is mastery too.

I completely disagree. I have a degree in mathematics and I rarely have to teach my kids anything. The lessons explain everything so well I am able to be pretty hands off. They do have questions occasionally but I never have to teach the lesson!

I didn't have time to read all the replies so hopefully I'm not repeating. We have been using MM (light blue) for 3 years. I did my degree in CS and math.

I have great respect for Maria (who wrote MM). I have found it to be rigorous, thorough, and virtually self-teaching. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could teach more because I enjoy it but it's usually not needed after dd reads the explanation.

There are no bells and whistles but I feel like Maria has hit the sweet spot of excellent teaching that doesn't endeavor to be cute or trendy while still being pleasant and not an onus for the kids.

But, in the end, all that matters is what's in the pudding, right? Thus far, my dd consistently works a year ahead of her peers, tests well, and, most importantly, constantly shows working, deep understanding of her math concepts in everyday life.

Hth!

I do feel like MM "teaches" math. My 2nd grader is in 3A and I have to have her read it aloud to me once in awhile and a handful of times I've had to explain it a bit more, but for the most part, she is learning it on her own. My 5th grader has been completely independent with it and progressing wonderfully.

So, you all are handing your first and second graders an MM text and telling them to do it?  I don't think so.  As they get older, it does become somewhat independent, but if you have removed yourself from the process then you don't have any reinforcement or assurance that they actually understand what they are doing. Don't come here later saying you hate MM then.  I won't be sympathetic to your creation. (Yes, that sounded cold, but reality needs to pull up their pants.  I am very tired of listening to homeschool parents claim disabilities and blame bad curriculum because they are not doing their job.  And no, it isn't everyone.  Maybe I am just crabby today?)  

When your child hates MM a year from now, remember that you left them to struggle with it and left them alone with it.  Remember its origins and why so many children hate math. (Yes, I am cranky.  Going to get coffee, but not deleting.  You can just have at me while I am gone and working today.  :)  )

It is a great set of books, and I have them all.  I am using it a third time, and my girls have been very successful.  It just is not hands-off.  It was not meant to be either.  Math is a very, very important subject that has to have you.  

My quote is from the MM website, by the way, and it is not scripted to teach math or intended to be independent.  However, the lessons do a wonderful job of demonstrating the concept and arithmetic.  Does no one on here read an entire post?  It's great that you disagree, but as you disagree you are restating exactly why I like the entire package download.  :-/  Bless your hearts.  

Like most things it probably depends on the kid.

I agree.  I love MM but I don't think the example at the top of the page is enough to consider it teaching.  

In our experience sometimes it is independent and other times I have to actively teach.  I have also had to find other ways to come at a subject.  Recently I bought the Key to Fractions series because even completing MM my son really didn't really grasp equal fractions and without that foundation I didn't want to move on.  

I think people are reacting to your comment, "if you don't know math, then you can't use MM"  Of course, you need to know some math, but you don't need to be "mathy" at all.  You need to know how to read, and if math isn't your strong suit, you should probably stay a bit ahead of your DC so you can give better teaching support, as needed. 

I've used topic books intermittently to fill gaps.  I just recently pulled out the Add/Sub 2B book to refresh younger DD's understanding of regrouping.  She reads the instructions on the page, and I ask if it makes sense.  Usually she says yes.  If she's not sure, I explain further, and do some example problems with her.  This topic book has been such a hit that she's asked to stay with MM. And, I don't claim to "know math" beyond the basics.

I agree.  I love MM but I don't think the example at the top of the page is enough to consider it teaching.  

In our experience sometimes it is independent and other times I have to actively teach.  I have also had to find other ways to come at a subject.  Recently I bought the Key to Fractions series because even completing MM my son really didn't really grasp equal fractions and without that foundation I didn't want to move on.  

I think this is the key.  When DD is confused, I can read the explanations in the text (which always make sense to me) and think of several different ways to explain it to her.  She doesn't need extra help every time, but I'm available and talking to her about what she's doing every time.

This reminds me of the TT debate.  I use TT with my older DD and some families just toss their kid the CDs and call it good.  You can't do that!  Not with any math program.  TT is pretty close to independent, but I still step in when - despite the explanation given on the CD - DD is still confused.  

So, you all are handing your first and second graders an MM text and telling them to do it? I don't think so. As they get older, it does become somewhat independent, but if you have removed yourself from the process then you don't have any reinforcement or assurance that they actually understand what they are doing. Don't come here later saying you hate MM then. I won't be sympathetic to your creation. (Yes, that sounded cold, but reality needs to pull up their pants. I am very tired of listening to homeschool parents claim disabilities and blame bad curriculum because they are not doing their job. And no, it isn't everyone. Maybe I am just crabby today?)

When your child hates MM a year from now, remember that you left them to struggle with it and left them alone with it. Remember its origins and why so many children hate math. (Yes, I am cranky. Going to get coffee, but not deleting. You can just have at me while I am gone and working today. :) )

It is a great set of books, and I have them all. I am using it a third time, and my girls have been very successful. It just is not hands-off. It was not meant to be either. Math is a very, very important subject that has to have you.

My quote is from the MM website, by the way, and it is not scripted to teach math or intended to be independent. However, the lessons do a wonderful job of demonstrating the concept and arithmetic. Does no one on here read an entire post? It's great that you disagree, but as you disagree you are restating exactly why I like the entire package download. :-/ Bless your hearts.

I don't think it is fair to equate allowing a child to learn directly from the text with "removing yourself from the process." In my house MM is almost exclusively self-teaching. I'm always at the kitchen table with her while she does math, I answer questions as they arise, we check work/discuss errors/she makes corrections immediately, we discuss novel strategies for solving problems, but I never "teach" her the lesson. She has used from 1A-5B and this has always been our process. Maybe my child is unusually independent? Not sure, but it certainly hasn't created a child who "hates MM" or is failing in any way. In fact, she recently scored 97th percentile on math problem solving and 95th percentile on computation on her standardized testing, so I would say that following MM's written instruction to the T can produce terrific results. Clearly, this won't work for all kids or families, but to say that only mathy parents can teach MM is misleading.

Clearly, this won't work for all kids or families, but to say that only mathy parents can teach MM is misleading. 

I actually said this ...

Confusingly, if you don't know math, then you can't use MM.  MM does not teach math per se, and there is not a TE.  However, I find that it is very good at covering topics for grade level and my girls always placed well on the testing

Believe it or not, there are parents on this board that do not have math skills beyond the very basic calculations.  In a second post, I stated that you could learn the math as you go.  Anyone can.  I have learned those things needed throughout the years prior to the lesson or instruction for various subject content.  There are even some things in math that I needed to visit and re-learn because they were long ago shelved and forgotten.  I didn't say that you had to be a math expert.  I said that you needed to know your math.  General arithmetic or number theory is enough.  Again, you can learn as you go too, but you need to know it.  MM is not designed to teach your child math.  It is not a scripted math program.  It is a set of wonderful tools that are very valuable if you take the time to evaluate and guide your child through.

OK, I will let this die.  :)  I do feel much better after my coffee, nap, and playing in the rain.  Honestly, I love MM because of the presentation and the ease with which we can skip, review, and reinforce content.  Don't pass it up.  Just learn it as you go if you do not know it.  I was a die-hard Saxon user too.

So, you all are handing your first and second graders an MM text and telling them to do it?  I don't think so.  As they get older, it does become somewhat independent, but if you have removed yourself from the process then you don't have any reinforcement or assurance that they actually understand what they are doing. Don't come here later saying you hate MM then.  I won't be sympathetic to your creation. (Yes, that sounded cold, but reality needs to pull up their pants.  I am very tired of listening to homeschool parents claim disabilities and blame bad curriculum because they are not doing their job.  And no, it isn't everyone.  Maybe I am just crabby today?)  

When your child hates MM a year from now, remember that you left them to struggle with it and left them alone with it.  Remember its origins and why so many children hate math. (Yes, I am cranky.  Going to get coffee, but not deleting.  You can just have at me while I am gone and working today.   :)  )

It is a great set of books, and I have them all.  I am using it a third time, and my girls have been very successful.  It just is not hands-off.  It was not meant to be either.  Math is a very, very important subject that has to have you.  

My quote is from the MM website, by the way, and it is not scripted to teach math or intended to be independent.  However, the lessons do a wonderful job of demonstrating the concept and arithmetic.  Does no one on here read an entire post?  It's great that you disagree, but as you disagree you are restating exactly why I like the entire package download.  :-/  Bless your hearts.  

Yep, I hand it to them and tell them to do it. Then, after they have done the first few questions I look them over the make sure they have the concept and explain it more for them if they don't. I also look over all their work when they have finished all the pages. Handing it to them, and telling them to do it doesn't mean I've removed myself from the process, it just makes them independent enough that I can spread myself between the kids. We've been doing it for a few years now and they are still getting high 90's in their tests so I don't think it's too much of a problem. They also don't hate math. I want my kids to feel like they can do this. I am there to watch over the process, not to make it happen. They are MUCH happier if I let them feel like they have control of the situation. If I miss something, they have no qualms about asking questions either.