Menu

College Year 1 is done

elegantlion

You all have been encouraging and inspiring to me, I want to let you know I made it through my first year. Amazingly, I did so with a 4.0 GPA. I wasn't sure I'd pull it off as my history grade had been a 87-89 all semester. I got the best essay grade of the year on my final though (which was one of my better essays) and that put it just enough to get an A. 

Because of that, my department recognized me with a Honors Convocation Award - which I had never heard of until I got a nice certificate in the mail. 

I'm still waiting on final financial aid numbers for next year. And I'm still applying for jobs for the summer. I'm also studying to try and CLEP out of the one math I am required to take and test out of first semester French. I'm also attempting to catch up on sleep. 

I'm currently a history major and trying to decide on a minor. I'd like to move on to grad studies maybe public history, maybe applied anthropology. 

I was able to do all my classes online last year and that was a big help to homeschooling. I'll be on campus two days next semester and ds will work independently on those days. That will be a big adjustment. 

Thank you all for your kinds words over the last year, it's been a wild ride so far. 

Well we are living parallel lives because I just finished my first year of college as well. I also have a 4.0 which I am super excited about because I really didn't do well in high school. I hated high school.

My first semester I took two classes one online and the second on campus. Then this past semester I took four classes on campus. Because I had a few college credits from years ago I was able to complete a full freshman year.

It was really hard learning to be a college student, as a homeschool mom to four, a part-time worker, and to deal with when the worst winter on record when you work outdoors.

I got through it and I loved it. I'm excited to have the summer off but it's taken me the last couple of weeks to even realize that I can relax a little because I haven't the last two years. Oh I forgot to mention that I got divorced in February also. That really didn't affect anything however, because we've been separated and living apart for the last three years.

I'm registered for five classes in the fall and I'm hoping with my GPA that I will get some scholarships. I didn't have anything except for federal grants this year because years ago I went to college for short time and because of my youth and stupidity I stopped going without withdrawing which lowered my transfer GPA, and made me a conditional student unable to get financial aid my first semester. So that made scholarships impossible. I feel confident that I'll probably get some now that I've proven myself over the last year.

I changed my major from communications to visual arts with a minor in environmental science. I will also be taking some film courses. My hope is to one day produce educational films for homeschoolers. I also want to work locally with children teaching about nature and combining that with artistic expression. That's the Charlotte Mason homeschooler in me. I'm sure more opportunities and ideas will open up as I continue to go to college and I'm excited to see what the future will hold. I feel confident that going to college is not in vain and that is already made me a better person.

Oh I also forgot to mention that my oldest daughter who graduated from homeschooling last year also started college this year. She and I took two classes together this last semester and it was a great success for both of us. We very much enjoyed it. Next semester we aren't taking any classes together unfortunately but I hope to in the future.

Congratulations on what you're doing and you might enjoy a book that I got from my library called "Adults in College, A Survival Guide for Nontraditional Students" by Wanda Schindley.

Wow!  You have no idea how inspiring you guys are!

Congratulations!  And wishing you the funnest summer ever. : )

Elegantlion - Can your son come with you and work on campus at the library next semester?  Youngest did this and it worked really well.  It kept us together, allowed me to bolster his self-discipline a bit, made him feel grownup, provided plenty of good-student models, and allowed him a glimpse of his future, thereby reducing some of the stress, all of which was very useful for my independent, high strung youngest.

Nan

:hurray:  Way to go EL -- AND Michelle My Bell! You ladies are awesome!  :)

And -- nowhere near as hard juggling so many full-time commitments as you amazing ladies :), BUT, I'd like to share that DH, who retired last summer after 28 years on the fire dept., returned to school both semesters this year and is finishing up his Bachelor's this May -- AND, just got the news that he was accepted for the MFA program he applied to! So, 2.5 more years of full time school for him, while both DSs also work towards their Bachelor's (DS#1) and Associate's (DS#2). :)

Thanks ladies. I am sorry about the grammar issues. I typed that last note on my phone. lol

We are on parallel paths, except I need the job for the summer. 

I appreciate the comments, I'll write more later, I'm exhausted and trying to do too many things today. 

We are on parallel paths, except I need the job for the summer. 

I appreciate the comments, I'll write more later, I'm exhausted and trying to do too many things today. 

I have been delivering newspapers for the last two years so I am so ready for some other form of $$. I forgot to mention that I am also planning to try to CLEP out of math this summer. I think I am going to go through ALEKS to prepare me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!  :hurray:

And add me to the parallel lives :) I finished out this first year back with a 4.0 and to be honest, it kinda blew my mind :) I am taking no classes this summer, though I am going to get some reading ahead done for an independent study  for my history major that I am tackling in the fall. Now that I don't have to go to class and am not buried in reading/writing papers...it's weird. Suddenly I have so much time to do whatever I want and it's so strange not to be buried in studying.