Menu

Hillsdale College free "Great Books 101" course online

Just posting this in case it's of interest to anyone.

Hillsdale College is offering a free online course, Great Books 101, with lectures covering the following:

1. The Odyssey by Homer
  2. The Illiad by Homer
  3. Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
  4. The Aeneid by Virgil
  5. The David Story from the Bible (1-2 Samuel, 1 Kings 1-2)
  6. The Book of Job from the Bible
  7. Confessions by Saint Augustine
  8. Inferno by Dante
  9. The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer
  10. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Here's the link: https://online.hillsdale.edu/books101/register7?3

I signed up for this and watched the introductory lecture. I have been working on The Well-educated Mind and these lectures will be perfect. I actually got the book list which someone took all the books in TWEM and listed them chronologically instead of by genre. I like it better that way.

I sang "Hallelujah" when I got the chronological list. I tried Don Quixote no less than 4 times and quite literally fell asleep every time I read it. I could never get through the first third. And then I'd put it away and try to start again a year later.i felt like a failure. I think another thing that's helped me with this chronological list is that we're doing the Ancients this year with the kids, so I had read Ludmilla Zeman's "Gilgamesh" with the youngers, I had read McCaughrean's "Gilgamesh" with my older DS, so I was kind of excited to pick up Ferry's "Gilgamesh". And then I started getting these epiphanies, and it started sinking in what Dr. Christopher Perrin was saying about Repetition (see that other thread) and I realized that I am becoming educated....I am making "Gilgamesh" mine. And I have been realizing the importance of reading children's versions of "The Greats" to kids instead of waiting till high school to read "the real thing" because sometimes the real thing is so hard to understand that if they haven't read an easier version they will be lost. Plus, they only read it once before. I have read, this year Mary Pope Osbourne's "Iliad", "Rosemary Sutcliffe's "Black Ships Before Troy" and now I'm picking up Fagle's translation of "the Iliad" and it's a familiar entity. I know the cast quite well. I know the plot. I am enjoying this book greatly instead of struggling through it if I had just picked up the "adult" version and was trying to figure out what was going on.

I sang "Hallelujah" when I got the chronological list. I tried Don Quixote no less than 4 times and quite literally fell asleep every time I read it. I could never get through the first third. And then I'd put it away and try to start again a year later.i felt like a failure. I think another thing that's helped me with this chronological list is that we're doing the Ancients this year with the kids, so I had read Ludmilla Zeman's "Gilgamesh" with the youngers, I had read McCaughrean's "Gilgamesh" with my older DS, so I was kind of excited to pick up Ferry's "Gilgamesh". And then I started getting these epiphanies, and it started sinking in what Dr. Christopher Perrin was saying about Repetition (see that other thread) and I realized that I am becoming educated....I am making "Gilgamesh" mine. And I have been realizing the importance of reading children's versions of "The Greats" to kids instead of waiting till high school to read "the real thing" because sometimes the real thing is so hard to understand that if they haven't read an easier version they will be lost. Plus, they only read it once before. I have read, this year Mary Pope Osbourne's "Iliad", "Rosemary Sutcliffe's "Black Ships Before Troy" and now I'm picking up Fagle's translation of "the Iliad" and it's a familiar entity. I know the cast quite well. I know the plot. I am enjoying this book greatly instead of struggling through it if I had just picked up the "adult" version and was trying to figure out what was going on.

Ok, I am going to display my ignorance here...I want to find children's versions of "The Greats" to read with my kids, but I don't know what children's books go with which Great Book. For example, I had heard of "Black Ships Before Troy," but I didn't know that it was a kids version of The Iliad (like I said, total ignorance... :blush: ). I have read very few of the Great Books myself, so I think your method of beginning with the children's versions will help me as well as my kids. I just...don't even know where to begin.

:leaving:  <slinking away in embarrassment>

Ok, I am going to display my ignorance here...I want to find children's versions of "The Greats" to read with my kids, but I don't know what children's books go with which Great Book. For example, I had heard of "Black Ships Before Troy," but I didn't know that it was a kids version of The Iliad (like I said, total ignorance... :blush: ). I have read very few of the Great Books myself, so I think your method of beginning with the children's versions will help me as well as my kids. I just...don't even know where to begin.

:leaving: <slinking away in embarrassment>

The book lists in TWTM contain many children's versions of "the Greats". I mentioned the two Children's version of Gilgamesh I read. MPO's Iliad and Odyssey were ok. Sutcliffe's were riveting, they really were. On the first go-round with Medieval history, we read some books from the "Shakespeare Can Be Fun" series,which were great. I never realized the brilliance of Shakespeare until I could actually read and understand the plot instead of getting lost in the language. This coming year, in the second go-round we'll be reading from Charle's and Mary Lamb's book "Tales from Shakespeare". There are some good picture books of Beuwolf, but next year we'll be reading Nye's version. You just have to look. They are out there.

I have been amazed at how many of the great works have been written for children. Before we started homeschooling, I had no idea. We have thoroughly enjoyed going through several this year. I had not really thought about how they were helping me internalize their stories and characters, right alongside dd. Great point!

ETA: We have relied in very large part on the recommendations in WTM to find these, but if anyone know of other book lists/resources, I'd love to hear them.

That is a whole lot of reading for 11 weeks. I couldn't get through the entire Odyssey in a week and do it justice.  I've read at least parts of all of those but it was for a class that took an entire semester. And, again, we weren't required to read the entire work for some of them.

Does anyone know if this course requires reading the whole work or just selections?

That is a whole lot of reading for 11 weeks. I couldn't get through the entire Odyssey in a week and do it justice. I've read at least parts of all of those but it was for a class that took an entire semester. And, again, we weren't required to read the entire work for some of them.

Does anyone know if this course requires reading the whole work or just selections?

The courses are archived. So you can take as long as you want to do the readings and watch them at your leisure.

That is a whole lot of reading for 11 weeks. I couldn't get through the entire Odyssey in a week and do it justice.  I've read at least parts of all of those but it was for a class that took an entire semester. And, again, we weren't required to read the entire work for some of them.

This was my thought too, I've started Odyssey and Aeneid so.many.times.  It looks great but i don't think my brain is quite ready yet...

This was my thought too, I've started Odyssey and Aeneid so.many.times. It looks great but i don't think my brain is quite ready yet...

I'm very new to this, and this may sound kind of like,"well, no kidding...." but it does matter who did the translations. A friend of mine recommended Robert Fagle's translation of The Iliad (same translation as Hillsdale uses) and it is very readable. I am struggling through The Aeneid with some Kindle freebie and I keep having to go to a Notes site to figure out what I'm reading. When I get to Virgil in the Hillsdale list, I'm going to find Fagle's translation of that and use it instead.

This was my thought too, I've started Odyssey and Aeneid so.many.times.  It looks great but i don't think my brain is quite ready yet...

There is an absolutely stunning audio version of The Odyssey read by Ian McKellen -it's the Fagles translation.  It is so well done.  I highly recommend it as a first dip into the epics.  When you think about it, it makes sense that this would be an easier way to take it in - it was originally performed, it was meant to be heard rather than read.  It's like how it's easier to read Shakespeare after you've watched a play.

I'm very new to this, and this may sound kind of like,"well, no kidding...." but it does matter who did the translations. A friend of mine recommended Robert Fagle's translation of The Iliad (same translation as Hillsdale uses) and it is very readable. I am struggling through The Aeneid with some Kindle freebie and I keep having to go to a Notes site to figure out what I'm reading. When I get to Virgil in the Hillsdale list, I'm going to find Fagle's translation of that and use it instead.

My teen, a great lover of the musical Les Mis, chose to read the book in 9th grade from a number of choices that I gave her. It was the first book that we read that really made us aware of the fact that a translator can make a significant difference. The first translation we read was like wading through mud; the book dragged and dragged. Then we tried the translation by Norman Denny which made the book so much more enjoyable.

All this to say that, yes, the translator can make a huge difference!

Regards,

Kareni

I had no problems registering. It took me to the site where I could begin watching the videos. Of course they wanted me to make a donation, which I did. I do support Hillsdale, and I had no problem making a donation because it is a pretty good deal.

There are many audiobook versions of the great books on YouTube and iTunesU. My son and I listened to Beowulf read in a meter as close to the original as possible from an Oxford scholar on iTunesU. It was fantastic and SO much better than reading. Lyrical and very much engaging you in the drama. We listened to Ian McClellan's Odyssey reading on YouTube. Same deal with how much more engaging it is. Patrick Stewart (Jean Luke Picard) has an audio of a few of Shakespeare that really amp up the engagement as well. Certain things were made to be spoken rather than read.

I wondered if it required a donation. Anyone get access and not donate?

The do not require you to donate. It's free. They are very committed to education in the Liberal Arts and they give a lot of things for free for people who want to learn. But, they are a private school, after all, they take no government funding at all, so, yes, they are always looking for a donation.

I'm sure you can tell I have a lot of admiration for Hillsdale College. It is a very unique school. And my niece is going there in the fall. I'm quite envious.