Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW18

Robin M

The recipe I use can be found here.  I increase the chopped strawberries to at least a cup. Also I use either plain yogurt or buttermilk--whatever is on hand.  No frosting on scones for me but before baking I may sprinkle them with a bit of vanilla sugar or demerara sugar.

On another note, I just finished listening to Agatha Christie's Postern of Fate, a Tommy and Tuppence mystery.  I am unacquainted with the Tommy and Tuppence books so perhaps I should not have started with the last one.  Should I read the others?  Frankly I was a little disappointed.

Thanks!

In my experience the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries were definitely not as memorable as many of the Poirot and Miss Marple ones, but I think I read most of them anyway.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stopping by to wave hello to my BaW friends  :seeya: 

We're holding tight in the middle of some horrible Santa Ana winds, which are nothing like the storms causing all the tornados, but are hot, bone-dry winds that all too often bring wildfires.  So far the fires I know of are not near us, though my ds reports very ashy and smokey conditions where he is.  We had to gerry-rig some bracing to keep our fence from blowing down yesterday -- it fell enough to knock over some large ceramic pots and their plants!   

In book news, Saturday is California Bookstore Day and I'm double checking my calendar to make sure I'm free to head to some events at a favorite shop. Brian Selznick, the Hugo Cabaret author is going to be signing lithographs!  And there is some cool swag for sale too...

We're holding tight in the middle of some horrible Santa Ana winds, which are nothing like the storms causing all the tornados, but are hot, bone-dry winds that all too often bring wildfires.  So far the fires I know of are not near us, though my ds reports very ashy and smokey conditions where he is.  We had to gerry-rig some bracing to keep our fence from blowing down yesterday -- it fell enough to knock over some large ceramic pots and their plants!   

Angry thunder clouds headed my way. They are growling in the distance!

Stacia, oh no, that sounds terrible. I hope you start to feel more yourself soon.

I finished The Night Circus last night and really, really enjoyed it. It was amazing to get lost in the story for a while. I also started Neil Gaiman's American Gods which is interesting and bizarre in the first 50 pages or so. Good thing that I truly enjoy a bizarre story because I think this one is about to take me on an interesting ride.

In book news, Saturday is California Bookstore Day and I'm double checking my calendar to make sure I'm free to head to some events at a favorite shop. Brian Selznick, the Hugo Cabaret author is going to be signing lithographs!  And there is some cool swag for sale too...

Saturday is also free comic book day at all comic books stores so if your kids are into comics like mine, you'll know where we'll be.

Finished Rivka Galchen's Atmospheric Disturbances. I enjoed it & loved how she portrayed a cracking mind, fracturing reality. There's an overall coolness & distance that sets the tone very well. Definitely recommended for some, though I suspect quite a few would not like this story.

Will have to post more later. My thoughts feel very disjointed as I've just gotten over 36 hours of food poisoning & i now have a tremendous headache.

Oh no! Drink plenty of water or pedialyte and restore those electrolytes. Hope you feel better soon.

Ok, now my screaming headache is down to just a small grumble, so I'm venturing back. Bleh. Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.

As I mentioned earlier, I finished Atmospheric Disturbances. I really enjoyed it. The cool, clinical tone was perfect for the story of mental derailment from reality. The story brought up some provoking thoughts about reality (what it is vs. what we perceive), how we rationalize things, how we engage or detach from the world around us, how we cope. This was my random pick off the library shelf per Robin's challenge last week & I definitely hit a winner. I'd recommend it to some, but I realize it is not a book that will appeal to others. For sure, Crstarlette, I think you might enjoy this one; Kim in Appalachia, I think you might also like it.

I also just finished Colleen Gleason's The Clockwork Scarab. It was fine. I like the idea of having Sherlock Holmes' niece & Bram Stoker's little sister working in tandem to fight crime & paranormal activity in a slightly-steampunky, Victorian-era London. The story & characterization were not very deep, the writing was ok, the story so-so. These gals definitely don't have the spunk & verve of Flavia de Luce, but I think the author has a good base concept & I hope that the characters will be better developed in the next installment. I mentioned earlier that I think this would be a good choice for those who are looking for clean YA (one kiss in here) &/or a very tiny, gentle step into a steampunk world. So, nothing that rocked my world, but I think it might appeal to quite a few.

Finishing both of those has now put me over the 20 book mark for the year. Finally some progress. Yipee.

I've now started The Fig Eater by Jody Shields.

Penzler Pick, May 2000: It is 1910 Vienna, and a woman's body has been found in the Volksgarten. She is Dora--Freud's famous patient. The Inspector (whose name we never learn) is painstakingly trying to put together the circumstances of her death with the help of the principles outlined in the 1901 book System der Kriminalistik, the first tome to attempt a psychological approach to understanding crime. The Inspector's wife, ErszĂƒÂ©bet, meanwhile, is drawn to this murder for reasons she doesn't understand and decides to investigate using her own methodology, derived from the Gypsy folklore she grew up with in Hungary.

What separates The Fig Eater from ordinary mystery fiction is the look it offers at detective work in the early 20th century, as the methods used moved from folklore and ignorance to the scientific. Photography of the era often resulted in the loss of fingers. Forensic methods so familiar to us now were unheard of, and the use of psychological profiling to capture killers was a young science unknown by most of the general populace.

Shields introduces the reader to Dora's family and acquaintances, giving depth to the characters only briefly discussed in Freud's case study of Dora. She takes liberties with the historical record (this is, after all, a novel) but creates a plausible scenario of what might have happened while depicting a brooding turn-of-the-century Vienna replete with gorgeous details of food, fashion, botany, and manners. The film rights have been optioned by Miramax, and if the author had her way, she says, it would star Liam Neeson and Judi Dench.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Good; 2 = Meh; 1 = Don't bother

2014 Books Read:

01. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ North America (USA).

02. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (3 stars).

03. Aiding and Abetting by Muriel Spark (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (England).

04. Sunjata by Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Africa (Gambia & Mali).

05. The Lunatic by Anthony C. Winkler (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Caribbean (Jamaica).

06. The Joke by Milan Kundera (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (Czech Republic).

07. One Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen (3 grudging stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Asia (Japan).

08. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (5 stars).

09. The French Connection by Robin Moore (4 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ North America (USA).

10. The Way Through Doors by Jesse Ball (4 stars).

11. Eat for Health by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. (4 stars).

12. LoterĂƒÂ­a by Mario Alberto Zambrano (1 star).

13. FantĂƒÂ´mas by Pierre Souvestre & Marcel Allain (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (France).

14. The Ways of White Folks by Langston Huges (5 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ North America (USA).

15. Asleep in the Sun by Adolfo Bioy Casares (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ South America (Argentina).

16. Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett (5 stars).

17. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi (5 stars).

18. Boxer, Beetle by Ned Beauman (3 stars). Around the World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Europe (England).

19. Blood Oranges by Kathleen Tierney (3 stars).

20. Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen (4 stars).

21. The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason (3 stars).

My art mentor was a textile artist as were a lot of the women who were part of my artist group way back when (before kids).  They would make the most beautiful, crazy quilts using mesh, metallics and things I would never think of for quilting.

All these quilts sound amazing. Jane, I thoroughly enjoyed your descriptions of your trip. I know nothing about quilting.

I've started Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. This is one of those "just try it you might like it" attempts. So far it's not too bad. I reserve the right to quit at any time, though.

I read that a few years ago & thought it was fine. Not a fave, but I didn't dislike it either. A solid 3 stars, imo.

We're holding tight in the middle of some horrible Santa Ana winds, which are nothing like the storms causing all the tornados,

Angry thunder clouds headed my way. They are growling in the distance!

Hoping everyone stays safe during all this crazy weather. (Mlbuchina, how did you fare???) We had all the tornado/storm mess going through here the night before last, but it wasn't nearly as bad as we anticipated. Thankfully.

I finished The Night Circus last night and really, really enjoyed it. It was amazing to get lost in the story for a while. I also started Neil Gaiman's American Gods which is interesting and bizarre in the first 50 pages or so. Good thing that I truly enjoy a bizarre story because I think this one is about to take me on an interesting ride.

Are you ok? I thought of you & your family over the weekend with your foster. :grouphug:

Looking forward to hearing about American Gods. It's been on my-want-to-read list for forever.

Stacia have you ever read The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco? It is a kind of story of mental derailment caused by a physical illness, entwined with history and graphic comics.

No, but I'm going to look it up right now.... Thanks!

(Can you believe I've never read an Eco book?)

It costs me $4 minimum to send a single postcard, so I'm only sending to people who *earn* them.   :gnorsi:

(Sorry to be tight, but I must not get too carried awayĂ¢â‚¬Â¦)

But, can we send a postcard to you???

:)

Stacia, oh no, that sounds terrible. I hope you start to feel more yourself soon.

Oh, how fun! I got sidetracked yesterday and very little reading happened. Looking forward to diving in to TNC again today.

I've never read any Eco either though I keep thinking his material would resonate with me. Foucault's Pendulum was the one that intrigued me though I never read it. I've currently got From the Tree to the Labyrinth on my tbr list. 

I've currently got From the Tree to the Labyrinth on my tbr list. 

Reading the description of this makes me think of a few books :laugh: :

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester (a fascinating non-fiction book, imo)

The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs (haven't read this one yet, but have enjoyed his others books that I've read)

Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages by Guy Deutscher (on my to-read list)

The recipe I use can be found here.  I increase the chopped strawberries to at least a cup. Also I use either plain yogurt or buttermilk--whatever is on hand.  No frosting on scones for me but before baking I may sprinkle them with a bit of vanilla sugar or demerara sugar.

The picture looks so yummy! I want to make some right now, although I am very much out of baking ingredients and desperately need to go grocery shopping.

Ohhhh....I'm from southern CA and those winds....blech! We were very near some fires and the year we left CA there was a really bad one literally right in what was our backyard.

Stacia, glad your headache is diminishing - speedy well wishes for a full recovery. :grouphug:

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

This is how I feel having just spent some time on my Amazon tbr list and my GR tbr list. Sooooo many titles and books I want to get to and my snail's pace isn't allowing for it. 

Ah, then this won't help. I was just coming here to post that you might like The Fig Eater. True, I'm only about 50 pages in, but it has a very spare, almost detached, poetic style (imo) that might appeal to you.

ETA: It's funny you say that because when I start feeling overwhelmed, I delete things from my list. I actually was on Goodreads a little earlier, removing a few books from my 'to read' list. Over time, things I think I might have had an interest in change & I figure opening up some space in my list gives me a feeling of freedom to add new things if they crop up. In a way, I guess I'm the anti-list-maker. Lol.

Stacia -- Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Jane -- Sorry no quotes.  Too tired.  About Tommy and Tuppence,  my favourites were N or M and the Pricking in my Thumbs one.  I enjoyed those two greatly but will admit that I read Christie voraciously trying to stay ahead of a twelve year old Dd who can read faster than I can, especially when some are being set aside due to violence of crime etc.  Part of the reason I probably loved T and T was they were great fits for Dd.  

We have had thunder and lightning here tonight which is very rare.  We were up in the bell tower so found it scary.  

I finished Night Circus and enjoyed it while on my days adventures.  Glad to be home but suspect I will be sleeping not reading in my bed tonight!  ;)

Ah, then this won't help. I was just coming here to post that you might like The Fig Eater. True, I'm only about 50 pages in, but it has a very spare, almost detached, poetic style (imo) that might appeal to you.

ETA: It's funny you say that because when I start feeling overwhelmed, I delete things from my list. I actually was on Goodreads a little earlier, removing a few books from my 'to read' list. Over time, things I think I might have had an interest in change & I figure opening up some space in my list gives me a feeling of freedom to add new things if they crop up. In a way, I guess I'm the anti-list-maker. Lol.

And funny you should post that because both the title and the cover of The Fig Eater intrigued me enough to lodge it in my mind as a possible TBR :lol:

And yes, that's what I was doing this afternoon, removing books from my various lists for the same reasons you stated.

Seriously?  I can only say that since I'm almost done with my first Eco book. Thoroughly enjoying it, but not one of those you can read fast or in a waiting room full of talking people.  I tried reading it while waiting for James to do OT, but too many distractions.

But, can we send a postcard to you???

:)

Yes, Rosie. You can't run and hide.  Join in so we can send you stuff.

Oh, how fun! I got sidetracked yesterday and very little reading happened. Looking forward to diving in to TNC again today.

I've never read any Eco either though I keep thinking his material would resonate with me. Foucault's Pendulum was the one that intrigued me though I never read it. I've currently got From the Tree to the Labyrinth on my tbr list. 

I also have Foucaults Pendulum in my TBR stack.  Looking forward to reading it but once finish Name of the Rose, know I'll need a break from Eco first.

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

This is how I feel having just spent some time on my Amazon tbr list and my GR tbr list. Sooooo many titles and books I want to get to and my snail's pace isn't allowing for it. 

At the beginning of the year, I ruthlessly deleted the majority of books on my amazon wish list and start all over again.  Periodically I'll go through and forget why I added books and delete more.  My list is ever changing.

Are you ok? I thought of you & your family over the weekend with your foster. :grouphug:

Looking forward to hearing about American Gods. It's been on my-want-to-read list for forever.

We're doing better than I thought we would be. The kids are kind of off kilter and keep asking when we're going to be able to see FS next. I keep reminding them that he's home with his mama now and that would be her choice when we got to see him. Frustrated with our agency because the worker has really dropped the ball on getting a signature to officially get him back home. Right now he's still legally our foster child because she's dropped the ball so badly. He can legally stay with bio mom through TODAY (4 days in a row is the limit) but if she didn't get the signature, we're in some deep poop... I hope she did get it today even though she's avoiding me, like always. He's staying with his bio mom though there has been a signature mishap because the worker said in front of my 4 and 6 year old kids that FS was going home on Sunday. 6 year old is having nightmares about it and all 4 of my young kids said good-bye on Sunday. I went all Mama Bear because it would confuse the daylights out of my young kids to bring foster son back home when they said goodbye only to say goodbye again in a couple of days... so for all intents and purposes, he's home for good. Just waiting for the 100% legal confirmation from the worker.

We're doing better than I thought we would be. The kids are kind of off kilter and keep asking when we're going to be able to see FS next. I keep reminding them that he's home with his mama now and that would be her choice when we got to see him. Frustrated with our agency because the worker has really dropped the ball on getting a signature to officially get him back home. Right now he's still legally our foster child because she's dropped the ball so badly. He can legally stay with bio mom through TODAY (4 days in a row is the limit) but if she didn't get the signature, we're in some deep poop... I hope she did get it today even though she's avoiding me, like always. He's staying with his bio mom though there has been a signature mishap because the worker said in front of my 4 and 6 year old kids that FS was going home on Sunday. 6 year old is having nightmares about it and all 4 of my young kids said good-bye on Sunday. I went all Mama Bear because it would confuse the daylights out of my young kids to bring foster son back home when they said goodbye only to say goodbye again in a couple of days... so for all intents and purposes, he's home for good. Just waiting for the 100% legal confirmation from the worker.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I thought Foucault's Pendulum was one of the more memorable Eco novels. It's still labyrinthine. 

I finished 3 in the last few days. 

A graphic novel by Alexandro Jodorowsky, who I heard about through a clip for a documentary about his unmade version of Dune. Between this clip and his wikipedia page he seemed interesting. 

This book reminded me once again that I'm probably not the best audience for graphic novels. Graphic novels are the HBO of the book world. I am not the right audience for the graphic sex, nudity, and gore presented to hook the core audience. I'm not saying it was bad...lots of ideas... just not for me. 

Full Service was a nice little coming of age novel by Will Weaver, whose book of stories I enjoyed a month or so ago. This one followed a farm boy from a religious family in the '60s, who is pulled out of his narrow world when his mother encourages him to get a job in town at the town gas station. I thought the portrayal of a teen evaluating his parents' religion and finding his own life and values was a good topic and well done. There were moments I wanted to dialogue with the book, know what I mean? There were things that made sense to me as a religious person and things which didn't. Interesting. 

Sorcery and Cecelia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot was a really fun, light read. Thanks to Eliana or whoever mentioned it. Perfect Victorian fantasy fluff with letters between two spirited cousins matching wits with stodgy maiden aunts, pushy suitors, and plots between wizards. Just what I needed this week. 

Best Book of the Year **

10 Best Books *

38. Sorcery and Cecelia, or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer~fantasy, Victorian, magic.

37. Full Service by Will Weaver~fiction, coming of age novel, Ă¢â‚¬Ëœ60s.

36. The Incal: The Epic Conspiracy by Alexandro Jodorowsky~graphic novel, dystopian future, surrealism.

35. Critique of Criminal Reason by Michael Gregorio~mystery, Germany, Immanuel Kant, forensics.

34. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer~speculative fiction, fantasy, thriller.

33. Five Children and It by E Nesbit~youth fiction, adventure, read-aloud.

32. A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace~essays, criticism, humor.

31. SharkĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fin and Sichuan Pepper: a Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China by Fuschia Dunlop~memoir, China, food & recipes

30. Incarnadine by Mary Szybist~poetry, semi-religious.

29. The LiarĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Club by Mary Karr~memoir, east Texas, Ă¢â‚¬Ëœ60s, dysfunctional family.

28. A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan~fantasy, dragons, womenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s issues, biology.

27. Sweet Land by Will Weaver~short stories, Midwest, farming.  *

26. A Zoo in My Luggage by Gerald Durrell~memoir, animal capturing and keeping, Africa, zoos. Finally Finished/Dusty Book.

25. Bossypants by Tina Fey~memoir, comedy, television.

24. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi~fiction, Snow White re-imagining, female relationships, self-image, '50s. *

23. Shadow Puppets by OSC~speculative fiction, Bean/Ender series, politics.

22. Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card~speculative fiction, Bean/Ender series, politics.

21. The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber~memoir, 2nd generation American immigrants, Jordan, food.

20. Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska~semi-autobiographical fiction, Jewish immigrants, women's issues. Dusty Book *

19. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling~youth fiction, fantasy, wizards. Dusty Book *

18. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls~youth fiction, dogs, hunting, read aloud.

17. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham~fiction, classic, China, male-female roles. Dusty Book *

16. Replay by Ken Grimwood~speculative fiction, time travel, multiple lives.  Finally Finished/Dusty Book

15. Home Cooking: a Writer in the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin~ memoir, cooking, recipes, essays, humorous.

14. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan~fiction, mystery, cults, printing, Google.

13. By Nature's Design by Pat Murphy and William Neill~non-fiction, natural patterns, science, Exploratorium series.

12. The Lives of the Heart by Jane Hirschfield~poetry, relationships, 1990s. *

11.  The Titian Committee by Iain Pears~mystery, Venice, Art History, Argyll series.

10. Mort by Terry Pratchett~fantasy, Disc world series, Death.

9. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein~youth fiction, WWII, female pilots and spies.

8. Still Life by Louise Penny~mystery, Inspector Gamanche series, Quebec.

7. The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell~literary fiction, mystery, multiple narrators.

6. The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich~fiction, northern plains, WWI/WWII, relationships, Finally Finished!/Dusty Book.

5. Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger~youth fiction, boarding school, spies, steampunk.  

4. Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown~fiction, pirates, food, colonialism.

3. The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution by Keith Devlin~non-fiction, Mathematics, 13th century, Indian-Persian numbers.

2. The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli~youth fiction, 13th century, disability, read-aloud.

1. Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki~fiction, story within a story, Japan/Canada, Zen. *

Oooh, I didn't know he had a new one out. It looks interesting.

So far, I've liked The Name of the Rose best of all the books of his I've read. I didn't finish Baudolino, I couldn't get into it. I'm a little afraid to try The Prague Cemetary.

How I felt half the time while reading The Name of the Rose. I finished it this evening and will have to give my brain a bit of time to process, before moving on to the next book.  My brain is full.

Happy May!

This is a good time to post my list for the year.

2014 5/5/5 Challenge:  Food Novels or Food Memoirs, Eastern/Middle European Authors, Shaw, Dorothy Dunnett, Dusty Books

Chunksters

1) The Lodger, Marie Belloc Lowndes, 1913--Dusty Book #1

2) The Blithedale Romance, Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1852--Dusty Book #2

3) Radiance of Tomorrow, Ishmael Beah, 2014

4) The Mission Song, John le Carre, 2006

5) The Debt to Pleasure, John Lanchester, 1996--Foodie #1

6) The Cunning Little Vixen, Rudolf Tesnohlidek, 1920, 1985 translation--Dusty #3, Eastern/Middle Europe #1

7) Scoop, Evelyn Waugh, 1938--Dusty #4

8) The Upcycle, William McDonough and Michael Braungart, 2013

9) Red Gold, Alan Furst, 1999

10) Destination Unknown, Agatha Christie, 1954 (audio book)

11) Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte, 1847

12) Purge, Sofi Oksanen, 2008, Eastern European #2

13) The Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane, 1895 (audio book)

14) My Year of Meats, Ruth Ozeki, 1998--Foodie #2

15) The Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England, Ian Mortimer, 2013

16) Cheerfulness Breaks In, Angela Thirkell, 1940

17) The Moon-Spinners, Mary Stewart, 1962

18) Mastering the Art of French Eating, Ann Mah, 2013, Foodie #3

19) Mr. Fox, Helen Oyeyemi ,2011

20) Autobiography of a Corpse, Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky, stories written 1925-1927; translation by Joanne Turnbull and Nikolai Formozov 2013 Eastern/Middle Europe #3

21) Before Lunch, Angela Thirkell, 1939

22) The Demon in the House, Angela Thirkell, 1934

23) The Franchise Affair, Josephine Tey, 1948

24) The Return of Captain John Emmett, Elizabeth Speller, 2011

25) Miss Buncle's Book, D.E. Stevenson, 1936

26) Postern of Fate, Agatha Christie, 1973 (audio book)

27) This Rough Magic, Mary Stewart, 1964

I don't know why I am dragging my feet on The Language of Baklava.  Every time I open the book, I enjoy it!  My goal is to finish it by Sunday and then dip my toes into a Dorothy Dunnett chunkster. Time to romp with Niccolo!

Wow. I didn't realize it was May today! I haven't posted my list since the end of February, so here it is.

Books read 2014:

January-

The Winter Ghosts- Kate Mosse (France, early 20th century, 14th century)*

Mrs. DeWinter- Susan Hill (Europe, Britain,  based on Rebecca)

Snow Falling on Cedars- David Guterson (Washington State, WWII, Japanese immigrants, mystery)

Troubling a Star- Madeleine L'Engle  (Antarctica, juvenile  mystery)  

The Snow Child- Eowyn Ivey (Alaska,19th century, fairytale retelling)*

Emily Dickinson is Dead- Jane Langton (Massachusetts, Homer Kelly )

Winter Study- Nevada Barr (US/Canadian border island, suspense, least favorite)

The History of the Kings of Britain- Geoffrey of Monmouth (written in 12th Century, Britain, Europe, dusty book)

Russian Winter- Daphne Kalotay (mid 20th century, Russia, Massachusetts)

Winter Pony- Iain Lawrence (Antarctica, juvenile historical fiction)

February-

The Rosewood Casket- Sharon McCrumb (North Carolina, Appalachian family mystery)

A Single Shard-Linda Sue Park (Korea, 12th century, juvenile historical fiction, Newberry Award)*

The Dante Game- Jane Langton (Italy, mystery, Homer Kelly)

Life After Life- Kate Atkinson (England, Germany, Early 2oth century, WWII)

The Inferno- Dante (13th century, Hell)

The Thief of Venice - Jane Langton(Italy, Homer Kelly, Art treasure)

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag- Bradley (England, mystery, Flavia)

March-

Practical Magic -Alice Hoffman (US, witches)

The Angel's Game- Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Spain, early 20th century, books about books, reread)

Miss Seeton Draws the Line- Heron Carvic (British cozy mystery)

A Natural History of Dragons-  (Fantasy, dragons)

Water Tales- Alice Hoffman- (US, mermaids)

Chocolat- Joan Harris (France, chocolate, witches)*

Payment Deferred- C.S. Forester (England, suspense, blah)

Cinnamon and Gunpowder-(Pirates, chefs, 19th century)

A Year in Provence- Peter Mayle (France, Humor, Food, non-fiction)

Incident at Badamya-Dorothy Gilman (Burma, intrigue)*

Looking at Philosophy: The Unbearable Heaviness of Philosophy Made Lighter- David Palmer (non-fiction)

April-

A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek- Annie Dillard (US, Virginia, nature, non-fiction)

Aunt Dimity Vampire Hunter- Nancy Atherton (England, cozy mystery)

The Camelot Caper- Elizabeth Peters (England, mystery)

Maisie Dobbs- Winspear (England, mystery, WWI)*

Thou Art That- Joseph Campbell ( non-fiction, religious metaphor)*

King of Shadows- Susan Cooper (England, juvenile historical fiction, Globe Theater, 16th century)

The Secret Keeper- Kate Morton (England, mystery)

Sold to Miss Seeton- (England, cozy mystery)

A Red Herring Without Mustard- Alan Bradley (England, Flavia, mystery)

The Cherry Orchard and The Three Sisters- Anton Chekov (Russia, plays)

The Believing Brain- Michael Shermer (non-fiction)      

We went to Barnes and Noble last night because the 15yo had a gift card burning a hole in his pocket. As usual, the 9yo managed to give me his soulful puppy dog eyes and came away with his own personal copy of the Hobbit plus the newest Shakespearean Star Wars- The Empire Striketh back.                                                                                                      

My cousin-in-law, whose recommendations of weird and obscure books that hardly anyone reades are consistently spot on, passed this one on to me a few years ago.  Very eye-opening -- I think you'll like it.

:grouphug: How awful for everyone.  

Eee. I'd be embarrassed to only send postcards for reading challenges then receive them for any old reason.  :blushing:

I'm still working on HOtAW so as to deserve a sirens postcard though.  :w00t:

Now, see, something new every day.  Who knew pagans did guilt?!!!   :laugh:  

How I felt half the time while reading The Name of the Rose. I finished it this evening and will have to give my brain a bit of time to process, before moving on to the next book.  My brain is full.

8ea7e9713b9dfc8ae564ca2103033ea0.jpg

He does have that effect!

...Where did you get to (in the Tain)?  (I'm trying to remember where it switched for me from a teeth clenched determination to do just a little more to something more satisfying)

My borrow list is very short - I have a bunch of Breslov books and a short story collection by an author from Cyprus (what is the correct way to say that - Cyprian?) that was on a world lit list I looked at last year...

I actually clenched down hard last night and plodded on to the end, as it is due back in the library in a couple of days.  I'm glad I did, I guess, because it is Important to the Evolution of the Culture and, Rosie-like, I feel an obligation towards it.  It got somewhat better once I got past all the character sketches in the beginning; and parts were quite funny (Cethren's responses to the parade of doctors trying to help him, and Cu Chulain's sardonic counsel back to him, had me laughing out loud); and I did appreciate that the women in the story (OK, really just Medh) had a more substantive part of the action than in most ancient literature... but it never really came together as Myth for me.  

It did help, a lot, in my understanding of the story when something suddenly clicked in my mind and I was able to see the exceedingly weird love / adversarial / alliance / competitor / partners in empire relationship between Medh and Aillil through the lens of Bill and Hillary.   :gnorsi:

Just poppin' in from our trip to say  :seeya:

Only made it through page 1 of the thread on my phone yesterday, lots of cool things going on here but I won't be able to chime in.  Finished a Georgette Heyer last week, not one of her best, though.  Started Mr. Knightley's Diary for some light reading while we are traveling.  

Don't have too much fun without me!

I'll join in with posting May Day lists of books read so far this year. 19 read, 3 in progress, 1 I'm not counting because it was massively abridged and 1 I'm not counting because I listened instead to the Radio 4 dramatization.  This may inspire me to get out of my reading slump.  It's been nice hearing I'm not alone in my pokey reading pace!

Mystery/Thrillers

W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton

Kingdom of Shadows by Alan Furst

Diamond Solitaire by Peter Lovesy

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

The Summons by Peter Lovesy

The Rafael Affair by Iain Pears

Watching the Dark by Peter Robinson

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Literature

The Fortune of War by Patrick OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Brien 

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott 

SurgeonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Mate by Patrick OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Brien 

The Ionian Mission by Patrick OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Brien

TreasonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Harbor by Patrick OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Brien 

Non-fiction

The Hare with the Amber Eyes  (ahem, neglected but still officially in progress!)

Ballerina by Deidre Kelly

Reading Dante: From Here to Eternity by Pru Shaw

In the Wings: Behind the Scenes at the New York City Ballet by Kyle Froman

Sci-fi/fantasy

Darwin Elevator by Jason Hough

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Mr. PenumbraĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 24 Hour Bookstore

Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett    (in progress)

Strange Bodies by Marcel Theroux  (in progress)

Literature read but not part of my official count:

Comedia by Dante (Purgatory) abandoned though I listened to Radio 4's dramatization!!

Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (uber abridged!!)

I'll join in on the book list. I've read 17, which is less than I normally have read this far into a year. Every time I think I'm going to get time to read, life interferes. I have 4 books and 1 audio book in progress.

My 2014 books so far -

The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck - both the Nobel Prize challenge and for the 75th anniversary

The above is the only challenge I did or plan to do. I don't normally do any of the challenges.

Non-fiction

Hitler's Furies: German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields, Wendy Lower

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, Carl Sagan

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape, Jenna MIscavige Hill

Fiction

The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Gamache #5), Louise Penny

Telex From Cuba, Rachel Kushner

Americanah, Adichie Chimamanda, Ngozi <----- Every word there is underlined in red. My poor spell check doesn't recognize a single word in that line. :)

The Returned, Jason Mott

The Orphan Master's Son, Adam Johnson

The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter #3), Oliver Potzsch

Fever, Mary Beth Keane

This is Where I Leave You, Jonathan Tropper

Daniel Deronda, George Eliot

A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, Matthew Green

Tess of the D'Ubervilles, Thomas Hardy

The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver

I DO NOT miss the Santa Anas! I can feel my skin start to dry out just thinking about them. :p I hope the fires stay at bay.

I finished UnWholly last night. I found it kind of frustrating. There's no wrap up at all for any of the characters. I know it went on to another sequel but it was disjointed throughout and didn't even mention several of the main characters near the end. I can't imagine how people who had to actually wait for a sequel to be released felt.

I liked the first book. This one was frustrating. I hope the next one comes to some sort of conclusion.

I had to go look up my book list from Goodreads. I've read 30 so far. My goal is to read 135 so I'm 14 books behind schedule. I'm sure once DH gets off work for the summer (he's a PS teacher), I'll get back on track because I'll have more time to read. I made it 4 books over goal last year (124 total) so here's hoping this year I'll make it too.

And with that, now that I have kids distracted with other things, I think I'm going to go pick up American Gods.

I just finished Christianity, Islam, and Atheism. It is well worth the time to read it. The author explores the differences between Christianity and Islam, the reasons for the fast Islamic expansion, especially in Europe and America, the weakening Christianity in Europe, and the comparison between Jesus and Mohammad. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Christianity-Islam-Atheism-Struggle-Soul/dp/158617696X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398974463&sr=1-1&keywords=christianity+islam+and+atheism

I am starting The Count of Monte Cristo. Unfortunately, I am in a coffee shop but forgot to bring my reading glasses. :-(

I am starting The Count of Monte Cristo. Unfortunately, I am in a coffee shop but forgot to bring my reading glasses. :-(

I really liked Count of Monte Cristo, liked it so much more than I had expected!  Once you find your reading glasses you'll get drawn into it too! B) (That's supposed to be a smiley with reading glasses!) The beginning is a little slow with a slew of characters introduced that you think can have nothing to do with story. 

Nothing worse than being stuck somewhere that is perfect for reading but not being able to read!!  

I have a question: how many hours do you read per day? Aside from reading, do you maintain your other hobbies if you have any? How much time do you spend on other hobbies? Thanks!

Too be honest I have no idea because my reading time is a bit mixed up with online time.  I would guess I read from 2 to 3 hours a day on average.  But remember I am the insomniac who sometimes reads a  book while the rest of the world sleeps.  Currently I watch very little TV but am actually trying to watch more and craft more.  I am not knitting as much as I used to but that is because I haven't really felt inspired lately.  I do belong to a quilting society and have mainly coached Dd through her projects of late.  I took a Japanese Quilting class two weeks ago and bought some fabulous fabric to experiment with,  finally made it to the store to get the necessary wadding so plan to start that asap.  The only question is do I finish the gift I am knitting first? 

I just completed my reading records for the year to date.  

Geography Challenge.....27 countries visited so far.  Predominately European. But I have finished each continent except for Antarctica,  not necessarily well but I have read something.....

5/5/5         British History 4 out of 5

Chunky  2 out of 5

Bronte Sisters 0

CS Lewis  0- I abandoned Discarded Images because it wasn't quite what I wanted it to be.

Church History --  0      

I may very well swap some of my categories out because my interests have gone elsewhere.  As Dd said yesterday, what's with all the Russian books?  I have a stack within my pile,  if I read them certainly a category.  My pile has possibilities........

Of the weekly/monthly challenges I have completed 10.

I have a question: how many hours do you read per day? Aside from reading, do you maintain your other hobbies if you have any? How much time do you spend on other hobbies? Thanks!

Some of us Book a Week folk, like me, are empty nesters.  I can't speak for the other empty nesters, but you'd think I'd have all this free time to be reading books and working on hobbies (quilting and knitting/crocheting) but it isn't the case.  I'm not entirely sure why.  Part of is that I am working now, part of it, I hate to confess, is frittering away far too much time on line!  

So how much time do I read?  I listen to audiobooks in the car and sometimes while walking the dog.  I try to read at lunch time and sometimes before bed but House Hunters is on about that time and I simply need to know which 3 bedroom ranch in Milwaukee that young couple is going to pick!!  

I read much more during the homeschool years because I was reading while waiting for the kids at activities, reading the books I assigned so we could discuss, reading just to escape the general chaos of living 24/7 with kids.  

Another empty nester who fails to understand why every organization on the planet wants me to volunteer with them and manages to persuade me to do this and that!

Today I read while in the doctor's office waiting to be called for my appointment and while waiting for the PA to see me.  I also read while waiting for my CSA farmer to deliver my box of produce. This hasn't changed from homeschooling days.  I carry a book and manage to read a few pages here and there.

I knit and sew. One of my tricks is to listen to BBC dramatizations on Radio 4ex while knitting or sewing.  Granted I don't count these productions in my book totals since they are adapted, but I greatly enjoy them.

I am loving the spare beauty of The Fig Eater. To me, it's not so much the murder mystery, but the spell the author weaves with her sparse, precise descriptions. Scenes form from the wet strokes of a watercolor brush, then morph into another one.... Really gorgeous.

Jane, this description of the book made me think of your foodie challenge: http://www.sonomapicnic.com/04/figeater.htm

Jennifer and Jane, thanks for answering my question. I feel it is such a luxury to be able to read so much. I remember when I was a kid I would save up the little money I could to buy books to read though most of the time I was too poor to buy any. There was no library available then.

Such a luxury now I am so amazed!