Menu

Psychology course? Sonlight or another suggestion?

I've searched the topics here and the Sonlight course was mentioned a few times. Could anyone who has used this recently recommend it, or does someone have another idea for a psychology course?  It looks as though the Sonlight course could be used to prep for the AP Psych exam. ?

This is for a student (hs junior) going into an engineering field. Through research, I've seen it stated often that a high school psychology course is good for an engineering student.  Differing reasons why... but... that it's a good idea nonetheless (I am wondering if it's because of the common complaint of engineers with poor communication & teamwork skills we're also seeing frequently while researching civil engineering?).  This wasn't a class that was on either of our radars until we came across that information.

Thanks for any pointers!!

We're going to use Sonlight next year with the hope of CLEP credit.

A friend of mine has been telling me that it is very involved, but I'm not sure how that will be with mine.  We'll probably eliminate the "lab" exercises to streamline.

One of my girls used the Sonlight course. It is very good. She did end up modifying it some. Just too much busyness for her in the way they laid it out to be worked. I think she completely did not use one of the books that was part of the package. The text itself is quite good. It seems like many majors in college require a psychology class. Knowing how the mind works is pretty instrumental in most fields it seems!

I don't know when it will be offered again, but ds and a friend are loving the Coursera course, Introduction to Psychology as a Science: https://www.coursera.org/course/psy offered by Georgia Tech.

He's also preparing for the AP test in a few weeks. We've gotten a study book, but most of the material on the test is covered in the course.

if it would help someone...

according to the coursera site, the content from that course is taken from Psychology open course at CMU.  link here

https://oli.cmu.edu/learn-with-oli/see-our-free-open-courses/

Whichever program you select, this site is a wonderful supplement.  It is currently free but may be switching to a fee-for-access format after the beta trial concludes.

https://education-portal.com/academy/course/psychology-101.html

I recommend this site for my students who struggle or who desire extra study materials.

Oh no, I didn't realize they were moving to paid format. Dagnabit, there goes some of my plans for next fall. 

One of my girls used the Sonlight course. It is very good. She did end up modifying it some. Just too much busyness for her in the way they laid it out to be worked. I think she completely did not use one of the books that was part of the package. The text itself is quite good. It seems like many majors in college require a psychology class. Knowing how the mind works is pretty instrumental in most fields it seems!

Which book did she not use? I'm looking into this program for next year and I only want to buy the necessary pieces. it's a pricey program.

Thanks

Thank you for the input - sooooo helpful! I think we're going to order the Sonlight - she needs a subject that is non-internet based so it can be part of the "car-schooling" parts of our weeks! ha! I did register for the Education Portal site, and depending on the costs, she may use that as a supplement as described.

Thank you again - it's nice when a "surprise" subject is so easily put together! :)

Which book did she not use? I'm looking into this program for next year and I only want to buy the necessary pieces. it's a pricey program.

Thanks

Eeek. I don't have it all here right now, and she worked through this all on her own. I believe she didn't use the binder, is there a binder?, that Sonlight added to it. Pretty sure she used a workbook of some sort and the textbook.

Eeek. I don't have it all here right now, and she worked through this all on her own. I believe she didn't use the binder, is there a binder?, that Sonlight added to it. Pretty sure she used a workbook of some sort and the textbook.

I was thinking that was it. The Sonlight package includes The textbook, it's workbook and then an 'interactive workbook and diary' by Sonlight. I've been debating whether to get that or not. Sounds like she didn't find it necessary. Did she take the AP exam?

Thanks

Heather

My ds used just the text and workbook from Sonlight, nothing else.  We mapped out our own schedule, based on the time we had (one semester) and the chapters that seemed most important to cover.  It worked out quite well.  My ds did not, however, take the AP exam (it was not our goal.)  This was back in 2010.

I was thinking that was it. The Sonlight package includes The textbook, it's workbook and then an 'interactive workbook and diary' by Sonlight. I've been debating whether to get that or not. Sounds like she didn't find it necessary. Did she take the AP exam?

Thanks

Heather

No, we don't do AP exams. She just wanted to learn some psych. and already had 4 lab sciences under her belt, so this was her choice as an elective for her senior year.

I read that you can find the Sonlight book (Myers) many other places for much cheaper.  When I did a search, I found it on Amazon for around $25.00-$30.00.  You don't need to pay the almost $300.00 total.  I was thinking of getting the book and the study guides.  Might be an earlier edition, but I doubt there is much difference...would need to investigate that further.  We are looking at doing the AP Psych exam - or CLEP...

I just attended our state conference and heard Cheri Frame speak.  She has a business called "Credits Before College".  I'm sure if you google it you can find it.  She has written a psychology course that matches up with the CLEP test.  I bought her World Religions course, but not psychology yet as my ds is only in 7th grade this year.  She was an excellent speaker and really knew her stuff.  I will likely use her psych class when we get there.  Bonus would be taking the CLEP at the end of your study and get college credit!

I just attended our state conference and heard Cheri Frame speak.  She has a business called "Credits Before College".  I'm sure if you google it you can find it.  She has written a psychology course that matches up with the CLEP test.  I bought her World Religions course, but not psychology yet as my ds is only in 7th grade this year.  She was an excellent speaker and really knew her stuff.  I will likely use her psych class when we get there.  Bonus would be taking the CLEP at the end of your study and get college credit!

Wow - thanks so much for this.  I just checked it out and it looks awesome!!  I have been wanting my guys to take this for AP or CLEP to not have to take in college.  This looks like a great option in addition to the SL course.  :)  Thanks again!!!

We did these lectures:

http://oyc.yale.edu/psychology/psyc-110

We tried a number of different lectures (some on coursera, some other places). This was the only set that actually seemed to cover anything.

It wasn't a super deep course by any means, but I can't compare to a "normal" psych course -- I've never taken one. It was a lot less rigorous than the hard science course I've taken, but perhaps that's the nature of psychology courses. It's in front of a live audience of students who really are taking the class, so I suspect that's the reason it had more content than a lot of coursera courses I've tried seem to ramble and get nowhere.

For a textbook, yeah, just get something of an older edition. There are usually college texts from a few years back selling for a couple dollars on Amazon or Abebooks or Alibris. Abebooks tends to specialize more in textbooks, so it might be the place to look. They often have stuff there that isn't on Amazon.