Menu

What do you and your spouse enjoy doing together...

Amethyst

We watch TV together on the weeknights (we have several "must watch" shows) and sometimes play games or cards.  We go to the movies at least twice a month, and when we can, we catch a play.  We're planning on going to the opera in Seattle soon  (we miss doing this).  When we were in Europe, we loved to go to flea markets.  We went at least 2-3 times a month and had a great time rooting around for treasures and antiques among the crap.  It was so much fun, and is one of the things we miss most about Europe.

Play cards, go for walks, watch football (when we had tv), watch tv series together (netflix), or just hang out.

With his hours (night shift) and training schedule (gone from home lots) we don't get to do much of any "couple time" because we're busy doing "family time" with the kids or sleeping. So our alone time is rare and precious and mostly spent just "being" in each others presence, no matter what it is we're doing.

Gym 3 mornings a week

Walk dogs in evening 

Walk around the farm & check cattle, fencing, etc

Grocery shop

Split & stack wood

Vegetable garden

Watch MMA

Watch several t.v series together

Actually we pretty much do everything together.

This is an interesting article.

http://www.marriageadvocates.com/2013/12/30/save-marriage-central-love-takes-time/

It highlights the importance of spending time together. You guys have given a lot of great ideas for spending time together.

Interesting article, but the suggestion of spending 15 hours a week is pretty daunting!  

Sometimes my husband and I go through a very dry period.  We are both just too busy and exhausted all the time.  At those times we make a point to remind ourselves and each other that this is temporary and we will have time together again.  We try to snag little bits of time here and there.  I think that helps to keep us going when we can't get as much time as we would like.  That works better for us than saying "it's Wednesday, date night, we have to go out even though taxes are not done (or whatever)."   For me, forcing date night when it won't fit is very stressful.

Last night after dinner we went out to a neighborhood pub for a while.  Just had a drink, talked, and then played a few rounds of the trivia match (we hadn't been expecting that).  It was a nice evening, low key, not as expensive as dinner out.  When the weather is warmer we can walk to the place which will be nice too.

Interesting article, but the suggestion of spending 15 hours a week is pretty daunting!  

Sometimes my husband and I go through a very dry period.  We are both just too busy and exhausted all the time.  At those times we make a point to remind ourselves and each other that this is temporary and we will have time together again.  We try to snag little bits of time here and there.  I think that helps to keep us going when we can't get as much time as we would like.  That works better for us than saying "it's Wednesday, date night, we have to go out even though taxes are not done (or whatever)."   For me, forcing date night when it won't fit is very stressful.

Last night after dinner we went out to a neighborhood pub for a while.  Just had a drink, talked, and then played a few rounds of the trivia match (we hadn't been expecting that).  It was a nice evening, low key, not as expensive as dinner out.  When the weather is warmer we can walk to the place which will be nice too.

15 hours a week does seem like a lot at first.  Especially because it is suppose to be one on one...watching tv doesn't count.  Family dinners don't count.  But I agree that 'forcing it' is exhausting and doesn't feel good.

Dh and I get ours in but our kids are older and every other weekend our kids are with their other parent....We count time in the morning and evening when we are talking in bed. 

I like the point in the article that if, when dating, we had spent as little time developing the relationship as we sometimes do now maintaining it, we likely would have never fell in love.

15 hours a week does seem like a lot at first.  Especially because it is suppose to be one on one...watching tv doesn't count.  Family dinners don't count.  But I agree that 'forcing it' is exhausting and doesn't feel good.

Dh and I get ours in but our kids are older and every other weekend our kids are with their other parent....We count time in the morning and evening when we are talking in bed. 

I like the point in the article that if, when dating, we had spent as little time developing the relationship as we sometimes do now maintaining it, we likely would have never fell in love.

Yes, that is so true!

I should try to (discreetly) count up how much time we spend.  I don't know if I'd be pleased or appalled.

Talking at night is good.  I have to be careful not to let it get into difficult/worrying subjects:  kids' academic problems, finances, etc, or I'll be unable to sleep.  So we are very intentional about our nighttime conversation and if I start veering into dangerous topics, he is quick to stop me.  Sometimes it's hard because that can be our only time to talk, but we're working on finding other times to talk about those difficult things.  Email can be good for that. 

Forcing togetherness or relaxation never works for me.  I remember one year my husband gave me a gift certificate for some spa treatments.  I put off using it and then it came about that we were going to move, so I had to use it or lose it.  It was one of the most unrelaxing experiences of my life.   I was so stressed I almost started crying in the whirlpool bath and then asked the masseuse to cut my massage short so I could go home and pack.   I should have known myself better and sent him (but that would have hurt his feelings since it was a gift).   He knows better now than to buy relaxation for me. :lol:

Gym 3 mornings a week

Walk dogs in evening 

Walk around the farm & check cattle, fencing, etc

Grocery shop

Split & stack wood

Vegetable garden

Watch MMA

Watch several t.v series together

Actually we pretty much do everything together.

We also love to sit on the porch with coffee & bird watch.  

15 hours... I guess it depends what counts. We spend a lot of time just being together and we involve our kids a lot. So does a family day trip count? Does grocery shopping and dinner out count? We do everything together, but not a lot of that 'everything' is specific time set aside for a couples activity, you know?

We easily spend 15 hours together in the same room each week, neither of us have any solo outside the house activities (except his work of course) but we would probably only just come in on 15 or be a little under if I only count specific, intentional activity together without including TV. And since we have toddlers and I am pregnant, I don't think that's a bad thing. We are in a very busy, very hands on part of life right now, and frankly cleaning up after our little whirlwinds takes a lot more time than it will later on when they can clean up after themselves! An hour or two each day on cooking dinner, doing dishes, feeding pets, toy pickup and whatever other messes they made that day adds up quickly and cuts into prime couples time. Oh, I'm just holding out until all of those jobs except dinner can be assigned to children as chores! Just a couple more years...

15 hours... I guess it depends what counts. We spend a lot of time just being together and we involve our kids a lot. So does a family day trip count? Does grocery shopping and dinner out count? We do everything together, but not a lot of that 'everything' is specific time set aside for a couples activity, you know?

We easily spend 15 hours together in the same room each week, neither of us have any solo outside the house activities (except his work of course) but we would probably only just come in on 15 or be a little under if I only count specific, intentional activity together without including TV. And since we have toddlers and I am pregnant, I don't think that's a bad thing. We are in a very busy, very hands on part of life right now, and frankly cleaning up after our little whirlwinds takes a lot more time than it will later on when they can clean up after themselves! An hour or two each day on cooking dinner, doing dishes, feeding pets, toy pickup and whatever other messes they made that day adds up quickly and cuts into prime couples time. Oh, I'm just holding out until all of those jobs except dinner can be assigned to children as chores! Just a couple more years...

If you are spending 15 hours a week just the two of you with toddlers in the house you are doing great. 

Grocery shopping is a fabulous way to be together.  Dh and I LOVE doing that, but I usually do it w/o him because he is working.  But it isn't fabulous if you have the kids tagging along.

Family time is of course VERY important...everyone wants a husband who wants to be with her and the kids...but as Seeking mentions too MUCH of that, leaving no time for the couple alone time can be hard.

I think time in the car with babies and toddlers can sometimes count.  Depends on the kid and how demanding they are.....I mean if you are on a road trip and they are asleep and you and your dh can talk for 2 hours straight, heck yeah, that is couple time. 

Even with bigger kids like mine, they are often listening to music and my car is loud so they can't hear us talking so it is great on road trips.

I think time in the car with babies and toddlers can sometimes count.  Depends on the kid and how demanding they are.....I mean if you are on a road trip and they are asleep and you and your dh can talk for 2 hours straight, heck yeah, that is couple time. 

Even with bigger kids like mine, they are often listening to music and my car is loud so they can't hear us talking so it is great on road trips.

Some of our best conversations - with or without kids included in the talks - have come on road trips.  It can definitely bring you closer as a couple when you have a great family conversation...

This is an interesting article.

http://www.marriageadvocates.com/2013/12/30/save-marriage-central-love-takes-time/

It highlights the importance of spending time together. You guys have given a lot of great ideas for spending time together.

While it is important to spend time together, I find articles like these ones, with set minimum limits of 15-20 hours rather misleading and possibly dangerous to marital relationships. Especially one that is troubled. The stress of trying to meet this magic minimum could create more problems within an already troubled relationship.

Just be intentional. Make time to connect. Even if it's only 15 minutes/day. I think intention and focus on the one you're with is more important than a set time limit.

Ok, we just spent tons of time on the road and 90 percent of the time the car was silent and/or I was singing along to songs on the radio..  What in the world do you talk about.  I kept racking my brain and could come up with nothing.  We can't talk about the kids.  We can't talk about the situation at work..  Which leaves......

We talk about anything and everything - scenery, where we've been, where we're going, (what we like and what we don't or pros/cons about those), life's big questions (these talks can last HOURS - once we did a 12 hour trip with a family discussion about what we would do in an "end of the world" scenario - where the best place to be would be, how to set things up, how to live, oodles of rabbit trails), movies, history, thoughts about the future, thoughts about politics, religious questions... there is no "off limits" topic for us - absolutely none.

When the boys are with us we often include them in our talks.  When they were bored with what we were talking about, they invented their own game in the back based upon the scenery they saw.  I'm not 100% sure of all it entailed, but they were "buying and selling" cows, horses, crops, water rights, developments, and all sorts of things.  They were VERY ingenious IMO and we encouraged it.  Their game lasted for many, many road trips and they know the topography/geology of many states or areas within states quite well.

The only times my guys weren't actively involved in conversation was pretty much if we were driving after dark (something we didn't like doing and didn't do often).  Then we'd allow a video.

Maybe we're just a talkative family?  If so, I like it that way.

The main song we sung was "On the Road Again,"  to start each day and/or trip.  Our favorite line was, "Going places that we've never been before..."

Ok, we just spent tons of time on the road and 90 percent of the time the car was silent and/or I was singing along to songs on the radio.. What in the world do you talk about. I kept racking my brain and could come up with nothing. We can't talk about the kids. We can't talk about the situation at work.. Which leaves......

Dh and I can talk for hours with or without kids around. Dh tells me about work, some of which bores me but some of it is funny and interesting. We talk about family and friends and what is going on with them. I look at Facebook and tell him funny stuff I see. Current events etc. we talk about our Christian meetings. We talk about our faith, our childhood, our first marriages.

Games. Our favorites are games like Dominion, Pandemic, Carcassonne.... but we enjoy pretty much anything. When he's on swing we play as long as we can his nights off after the kids are asleep. When he works days we play shorter sessions but nearly every night.

Some series on tv. We don't have cable but we have Netflix and Hulu. We usually have some show that we're watching together. Now it's Doctor Who, before that was Big Bang Theory.

Camping and hiking we both love but those are whole family activities, usually with my parents too.

While it is important to spend time together, I find articles like these ones, with set minimum limits of 15-20 hours rather misleading and possibly dangerous to marital relationships. Especially one that is troubled. The stress of trying to meet this magic minimum could create more problems within an already troubled relationship.

Just be intentional. Make time to connect. Even if it's only 15 minutes/day. I think intention and focus on the one you're with is more important than a set time limit.

Why do you think it would be dangerous? I like to read ideas and then look around at real life and see how that concept might be valuable or not. I know there are fanatics on every topic....I am sure someone somewhere has a chart made up to log their couple time. I read about this concept years ago and I've noticed time is important to the quality of a relationship. But I do agree there can't be a rigid time set...things happen, life happens....different seasons give us different things.

Why do you think it would be dangerous? I like to read ideas and then look around at real life and see how that concept might be valuable or not. I know there are fanatics on every topic....I am sure someone somewhere has a chart made up to log their couple time. I read about this concept years ago and I've noticed time is important to the quality of a relationship. But I do agree there can't be a rigid time set...things happen, life happens....different seasons give us different things.

I actually agree that things shouldn't be too rigid or too set in stone as couples are different.  I'm a time person (love language).  The more time we spend together the far better I feel in our relationship.  Fortunately, hubby loves it too, so it works out very well for us as a couple.  If we live into old age we'll be the two with walkers walking side by side down the boardwalk at the beach making all the teens gag (or in the mall or whatever).

However, guys are also told they need to bring home gifts for their wives (flowers, jewelry, chocolate, etc) at times.  If my guy did that I'd kill him for wasting money - even on Valentine's Day.  ;)  He learned that lesson very quickly in our marriage - actually - he probably learned it while we were dating.  (He likes being off the hook for that too!)  If we had to check off a list that had this one on it (most lists would), it would hurt our marriage.

Folks have to know their spouse.  Like many on the Hive, I HIGHLY recommend learning about love languages and knowing which one(s) your spouse has - then showing it to them.  Time is a common love language, but not universal.

We listen to "KOOL" (KEAG-FM) in Anchorage, Alaska; "Oldies" genre, on  Streaming Audio, and have done so for years.       http://www.kool973.com/    (I am listening, with my Headset on, as I write this)

She will invite me to watch a movie or TV program with her. Yesterday, a movie about the Hubble Space Telescope on HBO. She is an Amateur Astronomer and I believe one of my colleagues worked for a client corporation that was involved in the Hubble.  When she is cooking Breakfast, I go into the kitchen, to keep her company, and we talk. I believe the things she is most concerned about  (my Stepson, etc.) that I am the only person she will speak with.  Before we had to have our elderly Samoyed put to sleep on Christmas Eve, we would take her for walks, together. There are probably a lot of other things a couple can do to be close, and not all of them have to do with a "date night" or going to the gym (which we did together for years) or many other things.  

This is a very inspiring thread.  I have been in the "baby tunnel" for a while now, and still am, with another on the way.  We have not had time to do those things we did while dating and early in marriage- rock climb, hike, play cards, watch a series... 

How do those with small children manage, without hiring a babysitter?  Our evenings tend to be filled with stuff that needs to get done.  DH does family paperwork, I do school prep, we both do the evening chores.  Weekends are family time.  We could probably afford a babysitter once a month or so, but I won't leave a new baby with a sitter, so...  lol.  It's hard!  I think it's ok to admit that this might just be a "season of life" thing, but still important to come out of this season with a strong marriage intact! 

Oh, we also love to share a good bottle of red wine.  Mmmmmm.

This is a very inspiring thread. I have been in the "baby tunnel" for a while now, and still am, with another on the way. We have not had time to do those things we did while dating and early in marriage- rock climb, hike, play cards, watch a series...

How do those with small children manage, without hiring a babysitter? Our evenings tend to be filled with stuff that needs to get done. DH does family paperwork, I do school prep, we both do the evening chores. Weekends are family time. We could probably afford a babysitter once a month or so, but I won't leave a new baby with a sitter, so... lol. It's hard! I think it's ok to admit that this might just be a "season of life" thing, but still important to come out of this season with a strong marriage intact!

Oh, we also love to share a good bottle of red wine. Mmmmmm.

Depending on the baby you can have lots of good conversations with a baby with you. They sleep a lot, they don't talk, they don't understand and repeat private conversations.

If you can't get a babysitter more than once a month I think it is important to carve out a bit of time morning and evening where you go off duty. I get up with dh at 6:00, bring him coffee, and we talk in bed for an hour or so. The tv /news is on but is not our focus like if we were watching a movie or tv show. We do the same thing at bedtime...kids are in bed and we chat in bed while having a glass of wine as we wind down.

Now I realize one or both of these might not be possible with newborns and toddlers in the house because mom has to sleep when she can. But deliberately work on finding time to stop the paperwork, stop cleaning and just be with your spouse.

We take our showers together every night with few exceptions. Have for the past 10 years.

Go for walks, campfires (we live rural), star gaze, a lot of stuff at home like that. Occasionally we'll go hiking somewhere or out to eat.

We talk a lot about everything.

DH is constantly out of town for work and this thread is making me miss him terribly tonight.

Because he's gone so much most of our free time involves the kids. But these are the things him and I do together.

We laugh, we giggle, wrestle, tickle each other, sometimes we have water fights inside the house. LOL

We take spontaneous road trips. We counted them recently and in 14 years together we have gone on around 90 road trips.

We've built a few houses together.

He comes to work with me to be my assistant.

We watch weird shows on TV, like "How It's Made".

We talk, and talk, and then talk some more. I've never had a better friend.

I just think it could be dangerous if one partner is already unhappy and looking for ideas to improve the relationship. They find this "magic number" and think it'll solve all their problems. Then they get frustrated because they can't meet the number or spend their "together" time in unhealthy ways. Each couple needs to figure out what works for them. It's not about the time, so much as how you spend the time. For example, watching t.v. together counts as couple time to DH, but only counts for me if we have a discussion about what we watched afterward, KWIM? Could be a 5 minute segment or 2 hour movie. But, it could turn into a 5 minute or 5 month ongoing "discussion". We rarely get to watch anything together, but just using that as an example.

Also, with youngish children, a DH who works nights, and is military, so gone on training more than he is home, there is no way in heck we could meet that 15-20 hours a month in the physical presence of each other, no kids, and outside of TeA time, let alone per week. Yet, we are close, on the same page, and happy. Because we know what works for us. We know each others needs and love languages from various books, so whether we have 5 minutes or 5 days, we make the best of it. Intentionally.

If I focused on 15 hours of one on one time per week, I'd be miserable that we weren't meeting some "standard" and probably create problems within the marriage that don't need to be there. Luckily, I'm not the type to focus on stuff like that, but many people are. They let other "experts" write their rules for life. Not necessarily anyone here at WTM, because we tend to be "rebels" with minds of our own, and the ability to reason with the logical portion of our brains. That is not the case for many people, unfortunately.

Obviously, I'm not arguing that time with your SO is not important, but each couple needs to figure it out for themselves. Both how much, and what they do with the time. The key is open communication about what is and isn't working for each individual in each relationship.

Many things. 

• We are both musical people and enjoy playing together. We do that just about every day, I think.  
  • We like going to art galleries, exhibitions and museums together.  I have an art history background and he loves art and learning about new artists.
  • Recently, we've gone to a few wine tastings and wine events and found that we quite enjoy learning about wines together.
  • We enjoy snowboarding, Nordic and snowshoeing in the winter. 
  • We like cooking new dishes and frequently end up cooking them together, which is very nice.
  • We frequently decide to just go for a drive together which gives us quiet time to chat about whatever and enjoy the scenery.
  • Although I wouldn't call this enjoyable, per se, we work the farm together and do chores together.  We enjoy each other's company in work, even if we may not particularly like the work itself. I think it's more a sense of mutual satisfaction at what we've managed to accomplish with it.  It's a shared dream, I suppose, and together we made it come true.

<snip>

If I focused on 15 hours of one on one time per week, I'd be miserable that we weren't meeting some "standard" and probably create problems within the marriage that don't need to be there. Luckily, I'm not the type to focus on stuff like that, but many people are. They let other "experts" write their rules for life. Not necessarily anyone here at WTM, because we tend to be "rebels" with minds of our own, and the ability to reason with the logical portion of our brains. That is not the case for many people, unfortunately.

Obviously, I'm not arguing that time with your SO is not important, but each couple needs to figure it out for themselves. Both how much, and what they do with the time. The key is open communication about what is and isn't working for each individual in each relationship.

I agreed with all of this post but just snipped for space-saving.  I think the bolded, especially, are spot on.  I do know quite a few people IRL who are always looking to experts for advice on how to live, and not everyone adjusts advice to their own living situation; people often just try to follow it blindly thinking that if it's in this book or magazine or whatever, it must be the right thing to do.  Think of new mothers who read books on baby care and get upset when the advice doesn't fit their kid or her life or whatever.

In most long marriages there are going to be times when a ton of togetherness isn't going to happen but if people stay connected in other ways they can get through it without feeling neglected. 

I remember when I was first married, I read some article by a married woman who commented on only spending 10 second kissing her husband one day. (I don't remember the context or anything else about the article except that the author was still happily married.)  And I thought "wow, just 10 seconds of kissing in a day.  I am never going to let that happen."   Ha ha ha.  Sometimes there are just those times of life.  I think it's healthier to expect that there will be times when there isn't a lot of togetherness, acknowledge it when it's going on, and be sure to take advantage of bits of time when possible.  

We're a sporty family. Dh and I are game to try almost anything. We just recently learned to SUP board and windsurf and are going to try platform tennis this year, too. We can't do many of these activities year-round here in the Chicago area because of the changes in weather. Daily walks are the one exception.

Other things we do by ourselves regularly:

-- eat out twice a week by ourselves

-- work on our never-ending home projects

-- volunteer at the food pantry that is right by our house

-- work on finances together

-- clean the house -- dh is a champ when it comes to chipping in

-- shop for groceries together

-- meditate