Menu

Pandora stations?

ajfries

What stations do you like to listen to? I'm wanting something that can just be on in the background. My taste in music is fairly eccentric. I have both AWOLNATION and Tanya Tucker on my list of stations, so no judgement here. :)

never thought much about any pre-set stations.  I make my own on Pandora. (especially for my 'classic' pop-rock station.) since they will "suggest" things similar to what I'm listening too, I've found other bands I like that I wouldn't have considered.  e.g. Kansas and Fleetwood mac.  and I can also tell it things I don't like.

I do have one called "baroque." with no adjustments.

never thought much about any pre-set stations.  I make my own on Pandora. (especially for my 'classic' pop-rock station.) since they will "suggest" things similar to what I'm listening too, I've found other bands I like that I wouldn't have considered.  e.g. American & the eagles.  and I can also tell it things I don't like.

I do have one called "baroque." with no adjustments.

Is this something that's only available to paying users? I know you can 'thumbs down' a track that you don't like, but it still plays after a certain amount of time (days, or weeks I think). How do you make your own station?

I find myself listening to my Lorde station a lot.  Very few questionable lyrics...my 11 year old can hear something once and quote the lyrics back to you.

My station that I workout to: Lady Gaga.  Apparently I've mixed a lot of Rhianna in there.  :scared:  That's why DD11 doesn't listen to it with me!

Summer evening, grilling supper with a drink in my hand: Led Zeppelin.

You don't need to pay to make a station. My mom has about 100 of her own lol. I can't see my Pandora right now (on kindle atm) but I swear there is a button for "New station" or something. It asks you for a musician you like, Joni Mitchell or The Pogues, for example. Then it starts playing music and you have a channel. Now,you do have to pay attention for a bit, thumbs upping or down, so it learns your tastes. But that doesn't take long.

Jack Johnson station is nice for mellow background music. I also like yacht rock and Sting. Showing my age, I suppose.

I like music when I cook. It's especially fun to match the music with the cuisine - Latin, Greek, etc. Seems like anything you put into pandora's search engine comes up with multiple hits.

I didn't even know there were preset stations.  We just make our own.  My two favorites are "Don't stop Believing" radio and "Dust In the Wind". We crank them up when it's time to clean.  I get everything from Simon and Garfunkel, to Led Zepplin, America, Stevie Nicks, Journey, and Pink Floyd with these two.

II add/delete stations all the time so these are just my current list. The bolded ones are those that have been on there are a while though, because they are played more often than the others.

Folky/Mellow music:

Donavon Frankenreiter

Joe Purdy

Alexi Murdoch

Passenger

James Blunt

Mumford and Sons

Hard music:

Asking Alexandria

Shinedown

Crown the Empire

Three Days Grace

Hinder

Skillet

Modern/Pop/Alt music:

Maroon 5

Switchfoot

Colbie Cailat

Alternative Rock/Pop

Bob Marley

Plain White Tees

Franz Ferdinand

Is this something that's only available to paying users? I know you can 'thumbs down' a track that you don't like, but it still plays after a certain amount of time (days, or weeks I think). How do you make your own station?

I don't pay.  I've added quite a few parameters for the station.  (I added a long list of similar musicians that I liked - it added some, and I either thumbed them up or down.)  It now only rarely plays stuff I object to.  I've never had it replay something I thumbed down. (are you sure you didn't just skip?) I do wish you could undo a like as I will get multiple versions of something (by the same musician, e.g. a recording from a concert as well as the studio), and I've clicked like before I heard just how awful the concert recording was.

because of the tight parameters the algorithm is more able to determine what I actually like.

most of my selections are 60's/70's.  (some earlier.)

eta: I make my own stations.  I didn't know there were presets, but I'd rather make my own anyway.

this thread got me to turn Pandora back on and listen to it today.  I have carpenter's on my "folk-pop" station as well.  Karen carpenter had the most amazing voice - and she only saw herself as a drummer.  good lesson in how deadly anorexia is.  her heart was so damaged, even though she was in recovery, she died.