Menu

Do you ever house hunt in another state when you shouldn't be?

Mandylubug

I find myself constantly looking at rentals available in other states since DH can easily transfer with his job. We own our home, we are connected in a co-op, kids have established good friendships and we are near family. However, I find myself longing to move like we did when an army family. I liked the new adventures and living in different areas. Our home state just seems boring. I predict as soon as the kids move out, we'll pack it all up and take off.

Anyone else find themselves irrationally restless where they live?

I do, but not for the same reason as you.  I live in a very high cost of living area, so I frequently check out what I call "house p0rn" in other, more affordable areas.  It's depressing because I really love where we live.  But it's so hard to buy a house here.

Guilty. But I'm old enough that I can at least try to rationalize it away by telling myself I'm just researching retirement options.

but I'm always ready to try a new country.

Same here.  And we're about to become empty nesters, so NOT moving could require more mental reminders that hubby's company (he owns it) and our ties to our community ARE worth staying for.

But I expect we'll travel a bit more.

In the states, HI is our top "search" destination.  Outside of it, the Caribbean and Central America win.  The South Pacific would win, but it's SO far away and would be tough it hubby planned to keep working (here) at all.

I regularly, as in two or three times a week, peruse the houses available for sale in a city in Wyoming where we think we want to retire.  Retirement is  12 years away, minimum, and probably more, so it is hardly imminent.  When life gets crazy here, though, it is a way to remind myself that this is a season in our lives and that we can rest in the next season.  It also has been useful in helping us plan financially.   

Sometimes.  I would really like to move back to CA.  I would like to retire there.  I would like to move now.

But Dh and the kids love it here and want to stay.  And Dh wants to retire in Florida, not CA.  

Dawn

I'm researching retirement options for real. I'm not that into moving (we have, though, 5 times) because we will eventually need to leave this rectory, and it makes me sad that my dd won't have a home to come back to (like an ancestral home, or a place she went when growing up). I don't either.

Some like to move, but for some, it's hard to not have "a place to call home."

Constantly. Zillow is my friend. I search for sustainable living hobby farms regularly. I also constantly look for property we could buy to turn into a rental - this is something we do, but it has never come from a source discovered by me! I also love to look for vacation rentals in locations that are 98% fantasy for an actual trip we may take!

Yes! Although I tend to start by researching homeschool co-ops and churches and then move on to housing options. The urge has hit hard since DH has been searching for a new job. As a matter of fact, I was doing a bit of fantasy planning just before clicking over to these forums. :blush:

Just did this...again...last night. My heart yearns to live in the PNW, particularly Oregon at the moment. I actually caught myself figuring out the mortgage of a house that would of course still be available whenever we do have a chance to move.....

I did it about 18months ago on a lark, and ended up in my dream state. I had no idea we were going to move, and then we didn't consider this area until we realized no other areas would offer us all we wanted. So here I am in a cheaper house, no debt, and bordering National Forest. It was a good change. :-)