Menu

Benefits of not using a flexible homeschool charter?

This last year, we have been with a charter in CA to help pay for curricula and classes. Although we are able to use the curricula we choose and it has made it possible for her to take art and swimming classes we would not have otherwise done, I just can't decide if the money is worth it. Every once in awhile I feel like we have to do something just so we have a sample in a certain subject when I would likely have just read and discussed something instead. I also don't love writing a learning record of everything she has learned. None of the inconveniences are huge but I wonder if it would feel really freeing to do our own thing completely.

Have you felt really glad you did or did not join a charter school or do you have any advice to share? Should I just wait while my children are young and keep things as stress-free as possible by not continuing? I would love to hear your thoughts on personal pros and cons. Thank you!

I think you and your Dh alone are the best judge of that. If ou feel you can do without the money, then it might be worth trying out. I don't know how the charter program works but if you can rejoin after a year, then you can see if you want to take a year out and see for yourself if you need it or not.

Every once in awhile I feel like we have to do something just so we have a sample in a certain subject when I would likely have just read and discussed something instead. I also don't love writing a learning record of everything she has learned. None of the inconveniences are huge but I wonder if it would feel really freeing to do our own thing completely.

Have you felt really glad you did or did not join a charter school or do you have any advice to share? It is just hard to turn down $1600/year to use in almost any way for each student. For us, living in LA on one income keeps finances a bit tight so it really does allow me to get more curriculum than I otherwise could. Should I just wait while my children are young and keep things as stress-free as possible by not continuing? I

I have never used a charter school. I have always been doing my own thing.

I have also never spent $1600 in curriculum in one year until my high schooler began to take university classes. Not even close to it.

To me, being part of a charter school that sets the rules would nix most of the benefit of homeschooling.

We've used charter schools. I am looking forward to NOT doing this with my last kiddo. NO testing days. NO weekly learning lists. NO monthly meetings. NO being an unpaid guinea pig for new test instruments (especially with common core coming in). NO  having somebody else set our schedules or define our topics. NO having to turn in samples. NO keeping track of other people's stuff.

That said, my artist girl *needed* the classes that the charter made affordable. My angst girl and I *need* someone as a buffer between us for assignments. It has its uses, but definitely also its frustrations and they get much more significant in high school.

This is all so helpful. Thank you. I am curious about the frustrations in high school. Would you mind elaborating? We are a long way from high school but I like seeing the big picture.

I think it depends on the charter school.  We used one when we lived in CA last year.  We did not get any money but they had just about every secular curriculum available one could want.  The only things we had to do was to turn in one sample of work for Math, English Science and Social Studies.  They offered many enrichment workshops and frequently things accomplished in these workshops counted as a monthly turn-in.  The other stipulation was to test yearly.  Unfortunately they had a hostile board which forced the director into leaving the school.  She was fantastic, a true educator in the best sense.  We owe her many a thing.  Most teachers were fantastic and supportive of whatever you wanted to do.  Had it not been for our move out of state and the leaving of the director under those circumstances we would have stayed with them to the end.

We've used charter schools. I am looking forward to NOT doing this with my last kiddo. NO testing days. NO weekly learning lists. NO monthly meetings. NO being an unpaid guinea pig for new test instruments (especially with common core coming in). NO  having somebody else set our schedules or define our topics. NO having to turn in samples. NO keeping track of other people's stuff.

That said, my artist girl *needed* the classes that the charter made affordable. My angst girl and I *need* someone as a buffer between us for assignments. It has its uses, but definitely also its frustrations and they get much more significant in high school.

I'd be interested in knowing why the frustration is greater in high school.  If ever we were to enroll in one, I figured high school would be a good time.

As for the OP, the charter school requirements are not something I find myself wishing to satisfy.  We have been doing fine as independent homeschoolers.

This last year, we have been with a charter in CA to help pay for curricula and classes. Although we are able to use the curricula we choose and it has made it possible for her to take art and swimming classes we would not have otherwise done, I just can't decide if the money is worth it. Every once in awhile I feel like we have to do something just so we have a sample in a certain subject when I would likely have just read and discussed something instead. I also don't love writing a learning record of everything she has learned. None of the inconveniences are huge but I wonder if it would feel really freeing to do our own thing completely.

Have you felt really glad you did or did not join a charter school or do you have any advice to share? Should I just wait while my children are young and keep things as stress-free as possible by not continuing? I would love to hear your thoughts on personal pros and cons. Thank you!

It would not have been worth it to *me* to join a charter school. I am way too independent to have to comply with someone else's requirements, minimal as they might be, in a state that is so free as California. I prefer filing an affidavit annually and being done with it. No answering to anyone, no testing, no submitting records of any kind, ever, nothin'.

:bigear: Listening in...this is something I have been considering for the last few weeks myself.  We used a charter this year for a few reasons (was our first year and wasn't sure we were ready to be completely independent after 3 years in PS, had heard a lot of positive feedback about this particular charter, and of course, the $1600 budget was very tempting).  Looking back, I can see how being with the charter has boxed us in a bit.  Where I might have been entirely relaxed/project based, I did choose a couple of workbook/busywork type things at the beginning of the year, just so we would have something to "show our work" at our monthly check ins.  As we have progressed through the year and I have collaborated more with our supervising teacher, I have realized that I was actually imposing more limitations (in curriculum choices, in what we could cover) and expectations (in how much work we had to show) than were actually expected from the school (and more importantly, from our teacher), which has helped me to relax a lot more in the last few months.  On the positive side, we have had many opportunities through the charter that we wouldn't have had on our own-a spelling bee, science fair, horseback riding lessons, and many other things that we didn't have with public school and wouldn't have if we were completely independent.  The co-op/hs groups around here tend to be very religious or for preschool ages, so the charter has connected us to other families (there have been quite a few park days/local outings organized by the charter).  As I placed our final order for the year w/ the charter and independently ordered a few things I want for next year that I know the charter wouldn't pay for (but they have no objection to us using), I find myself weighing the pros and cons of staying w/ the charter vs. complete independence.    

We're in a similar situation (homeschool charter in CA), and I am trying to figure out what we should do moving ahead. On one hand, the materials support and extracurricular classes are a benefit, but our program is poorly run and I end up having to fight for what I want or need for the kids. I appreciate having some accountability, as it is a motivator for everyone at some point in the week, but I resent submitting samples or programming lessons so that we can check off a box. 

Really, though, the kids would be sad if we stopped going to art class, and they really like the friends they've made.

I think we'll stick with it until STAR testing resumes, then we'll go full-time with our not-in-charter-school friends.

We're with our district's correspondence school, which functions similar to a charter. The effect it's had on my schooling has been really, really minimal. I email the advisory teacher once a month with a very brief update, and each quarter turn in work samples and grades. At the end of the year my 6th grader will have to do the statewide benchmark tests. It hasn't affected which curricula I use or which assignments we do, since at this point his assignments all have some tangible component I can produce. They have accepted everything I turn in without question. It is incredibly minimal work for me to walk over to the file cabinet and place a great test or assignment in the work sample folder. We receive funding for all of our materials and academic/extracurricular classes, can participate in on-site classes, and activities, and have access to the afterschool clubs at the boundary schools.

My K'er is not enrolled with them (long story) and I'm on the fence about whether to enroll him for 1st. I don't need $$ for his curricula, and at his age I might want to be a lot more flexible about what we do. With our program, though, as long as you are moving forward and covering the required classes, then you're pretty well set. So even if I did change materials, I would still be doing reading, writing, and math. We get over $2k per year, which buys a lot of lessons!

Really, though, the kids would be sad if we stopped going to art class, and they really like the friends they've made.

They'll make new friends elsewhere. If their classmates are *real* friends, then y'all can continue to get together, in circumstances where they can truly socialize. :-)

The problem with using the charter for high school is the a-g requirements that public schools fulfill. They require using or not using certain materials and 'highly qualified' teachers. In elementary and middle school I could see the money being worth it. In high school the aggravation is just too high.

I've done both. I did a charter for a year with the oldest, but them we moved to a place with a charter that has much lower funding, so we went independent. FF 5 years and our family budget has been squeezed down to the point that I decided to give it a shot. I went in very skeptical, but our year has gone very smoothly. The requirements are totally doable. Our IST is fantastic. I'm happy.

It sounds like a break would be good for you. If finances aren't an issue, I say go for it!

I have been with our charter since I pulled the girls from ps four years ago. Each year has been different but as I grow more as a homeschooling mom, the more distant I want to have with the charter. I was really close at the end of last year but the funds are really important to us. I decided to ask for a change in teachers and honestly this has made a world of difference. The teacher we have now is so uplifting and motivating for me. I work my own schedule, and I have mixed and matched curriculum and areas of study. I really don't ever worry or look at what the state says we should be learning. The teacher helps fill out the forms so that it makes them happy.  I have not had to compromise on what I want to teach and when I want to teach it. For instance I have done two years of American History in a row with my youngest because I felt she needed it spread out more.  If in HS I don't have that freedom then I will probably leave but I can see where having more support at that time would be beneficial. I also opt out of state testing and have never had a problem. We do have to do samples but for the most part she just takes from what we have already completed and what we don't mind giving. I think there has only been one time this year when what I turned in wasn't accepted and she sent us a crossword puzzle to complete instead. Even though I thought it was silly and didn't want to do it, it was the only time this year we have to do this so I didn't make a big deal out of it. If it were happening every month with multiple subjects then i would probably separate from the school.

I am thisclose to leaving our charter - or at the very least, taking a year off.  The only things holding me back are that DD6 currently has an IEP for speech therapy through them, and DD11 is waiting on an assessment which will probably result in having a 504 plan.

I know I could go through my local school district to set up speech for my youngest, but they aren't very friendly to homeschoolers or private schoolers.  She's what you would consider "borderline" - so while our own charter would say yes to speech, an outside school could say no.  And paying for private therapy would make finances very, very tight.

For us, I've realized that it's not about the funding or accountability, but the services provided.  I'm waiting to find out what the plans/goals are for next year's IEP and possible 504 before I decide to leave.  But that's about the only thing holding me back.  I'm tired of trying to fit my kids' learning into a neat sample that fits with what the school wants to see.

High school is a pain from what I hear because you have to use books off the state-approved list if you want to get a college prep diploma. There is a lot more freedom if you're willing to get a general ed diploma, but then your student has to start at community college rather than a 4 year school. That is a non-starter for my DH, so if we decide to do HS at home, it will not be through our current charter.

We do run into the whole "the charter teacher is coming tomorrow! Quick, do this worksheet so that we'll have a work sample to turn in for [insert name of subject]!" thing from time to time. It's a minimal hoop to jump through for several grand per year between the 2 kids. There's no way we'd be able to afford all the great curricula and classes without that stipend.

We started homeschooling in CA and I initially signed up with a charter.  Having access to a variety of classes, support materials and curriculum was wonderful!  I loved many aspects of being in the charter but I did always feel tied down to a degree.   When we moved out of state, charters were no longer an option and I felt immensely FREED upon not using a charter anymore.  After going without a charter, I realized how much it had influenced my ideas about how to educate the kids.  We have been pretty eclectic and relaxed all along (and really the charter school was very accepting) but you still have that pressure to keep up with state standards.  BTW, at one point I requested a new EF from the charter and the new EF was a much better fit.  Still though, not dealing with the charter at all was a huge relief!  My son did love Latin classes though--probably the best benefit from using the charter.  :)

I have gone back and forth--charter, independent, charter, independent, charter...it depends on your personal comfort level and willingness to jump through hoops for the available funding. I have pretty low tolerance for someone else telling me how and what to teach my kids, and even less for some of the purely bureaucratic hoop jumping nonsense that happens, but right now we are working with a program that thus far has been within my tolerance limits. I'm hoping to stick with it through high school because my state offers scholarships that I expect my kids to qualify for but which are not available to independent homeschoolers.

I don't worry about the state standards and they have almost no impact on how I teach my kids. I did have oldest DD memorize the 50 state capitals in 5th to check that block but it didn't take her very long to do so. This year in 6th is the first time since we started that DD has actually been studying the same topics in history as she would in PS because we're doing ancients and so are the PS kids.

I am in my last year with a home school charter. Our charter is pretty amazing. We get $1500 per year per student and it pays for community classes, onsite classes, music, dance, curricula, etc. They have a great resource library and offer fun classes, without insisting on anything other than a periodic (every 6 weeks) log of what we worked on, monthly meetings with a certified teacher (who is a family friend and lives down the street), simple samples of work, and participation in standardized tests after 2nd grade. They never tell us what subjects to study or how to study them. They don't meddle in that way, yet. We want to move out of state and will be saying goodbye to the charter when we do, but we are also not excited at about the common core standards and tests, so we have agreed that we will not continue with the charter after this year in the event that dh doesn't land a job out of state. While we really like the stipend and the resources offered, we are not in favor of the changes that have taken place as a result of common core. This is our last year, either way.

Okay...realized I mostly listed drawbacks and benefits of being with a charter, soooo....benefits of no charter: 

Not tied to the charter's school year

No outside pressure to produce tangible output

No guilt over playing hooky when you don't do school on an official school day

No testing

No scheduled meetings/check ins

No additional paperwork for the school (attendance records, progress reports, etc.)

No ordering deadlines

No waiting for order approvals/school processing before your order gets shipped

Hmmm....I'm sure there are more...

ETA: Everything you buy belongs to you forever...some of the items we purchase through our charter are expected to be returned to the charter at the end of year (example-microscopes)...so if you wanted to use it over the summer or whatever, you would still need to purchase out of your own funds anyway.

I am in my last year with a home school charter. Our charter is pretty amazing. We get $1500 per year per student and it pays for community classes, onsite classes, music, dance, curricula, etc. They have a great resource library and offer fun classes, without insisting on anything other than a periodic (every 6 weeks) log of what we worked on, monthly meetings with a certified teacher (who is a family friend and lives down the street), simple samples of work, and participation in standardized tests after 2nd grade. They never tell us what subjects to study or how to study them. They don't meddle in that way, yet. We want to move out of state and will be saying goodbye to the charter when we do, but we are also not excited at about the common core standards and tests, so we have agreed that we will not continue with the charter after this year in the event that dh doesn't land a job out of state. While we really like the stipend and the resources offered, we are not in favor of the changes that have taken place as a result of common core. This is our last year, either way.

See, the stuff I bolded would give me great pause. Not sure it would be worth $1500 (especially since I could not be guaranteed that my monthly meeting would be with a family friend who lives down the street).

Everything you buy belongs to you forever...some of the items we purchase through our charter are expected to be returned to the charter at the end of year (example-microscopes)...so if you wanted to use it over the summer or whatever, you would still need to purchase out of your own funds anyway.

That I think is a policy specific to certain charters. We've been with 2 charters now, and they only required the non-consumables to be turned in when the last child in the family leaves the charter. It was annoying that we had to switch charters when we moved in 2009, but that has to do with the geographical restrictions imposed by the state.

We quit our charter because they were testing the kids to death. It was getting ridiculous.The documentation was crazy -- the kids received 20+ page report cards which were indecipherable. Our sessions with the education specialist each week were dominated by documenting what we had done that week - not at all about how she could help us. No matter that the specialist is a friend of mine and completely professional. I can't tell you how relieved we felt when we were out from under the charter.

Some charter restrictions we faced that might not have been listed upthread:

1. We could not use the stipend for certain types of classes e.g. ones that involved starting a fire or using power tools (e.g. nature/ survival-themed classes)

2. Similarly, we could not use the stipend to order high school level, well-stocked (and potentially more dangerous than the standard) chemistry sets

3. I was exasperated that they also didn't approve instructional funds for AoPS classes. They were okay with using the funds for the books but were against use for the classes, even after AoPS accreditation. I believe it was due to lack of background check data but AoPS classes are chatroom, text-based and I don't see the need for concern. I have heard that there is a charter in SoCal though that allows use of stipend for AoPS classes.

Our charter was willing to waive the high school a-g requirements if kiddo took the UC admission by exam route.

In the end, it cost us more to stay. We could not use the funds for meaningful resources/ activities anyway. We are now happily independent.

ETA: the stipend was worth the hoops from ages 6-9-ish. It only became a pain after age 9+ when kiddo was ready for much more.

Its going to depend on the charter rules. We used Sky Mountain in CA which is an IEM school and the teacher was great. I did have to keep track of what we did but since we used actual curriculum it wasn't bad at all. The teacher translated it into state standards for us. The only thing I didn't like was life happens and if you miss a monthly ES meeting (an hour away for us) or STAR testing (9 hrs away round trip) its a huge problem. Thats where all my stress with the school came from. I would go back in a heart beat though until high school when I would have to transfer as I didn't like there high school vendor options.

We quit our charter because they were testing the kids to death. It was getting ridiculous.The documentation was crazy -- the kids received 20+ page report cards which were indecipherable. Our sessions with the education specialist each week were dominated by documenting what we had done that week - not at all about how she could help us.

You had to meet with the teacher each WEEK???? Wow, that is about 4x as often as in the 2 charters we've been with. Both of those are only once per month.

Some charter restrictions we faced that might not have been listed upthread:

1. We could not use the stipend for certain types of classes e.g. ones that involved starting a fire or using power tools (e.g. nature/ survival-themed classes)

2. Similarly, we could not use the stipend to order high school level, well-stocked (and potentially more dangerous than the standard) chemistry sets

3. I was exasperated that they also didn't approve instructional funds for AoPS classes. They were okay with using the funds for the books but were against use for the classes, even after AoPS accreditation. I believe it was due to lack of background check data but AoPS classes are chatroom, text-based and I don't see the need for concern. I have heard that there is a charter in SoCal though that allows use of stipend for AoPS classes.

These again sound like school-specific policies or perhaps even teacher-specific.

We were able to purchase a good chemistry kit through the first charter we were in, but it did take appealing to our teacher's supervisor after the initial denial. I haven't tried buying any chemicals through our current charter because we've only needed individual replacements and it's easier to order those myself.

Nature & carpentry classes have not been an issue with either charter.

The first charter would not pay for any gymnastics classes that included the trampoline so parents had to pay a small surcharge out of their own pocket for an "add-on" at the end of the class. I haven't tried to enroll in gymnastics through our current charter so I don't know their policy. They do pay for horseback riding and archery, which the first charter didn't, so I suspect they may be more lenient.

AOPS classes are fine with our current charter. Not sure about the first charter because my kids were too young at the time.