Menu

What Jane Austen book after Pride and Prejudice?

Momling

My daughter just finished and loved Pride and Prejudice, whipping through it in a few days. She wants to try something else and started in on Emma, but decided she didn't actually want to read a book about a character she didn't like. Does Jane Austen have any other Lizzie Bennet type protagonists?

My faves are P&P, Sense and Sensibility, Emma  and then Mansfield Park.

I think all her protagonists are special in their own way, make their own mistakes, have their own strengths etc. IOW, I don't know if I would call any of her other female characters another Lizzie. But they are all great!

Jeepers, I am realizing it has been at least a decade since I read any Austin. There was that one winter where I reread them all.....

Persuasion!! By far my favorite. It isn't as delightful as P&P but the over the top grand romantic ending made me swoon. And I never swoon.

Sense and Senibility is also a pleasure, but is very very different from the (excellent) film, so I'd only read it for pleasure at that age if she's not seen the movie.

I found Emma to be a complete bore. It's almost as if it were written by a different person. There are occasional flashes of the humor and wit, but it's nothing like Pride and Prejudice in that regard.

The problem with the book isn't that Emma herself is unlikable. It's just that the writing never really rises to "Austen" levels (imo).

I love Catherine Moreland, and I think she has the spunk of Lizzie Bennett, so Northanger Abbey. I love the story of Persuasion, but agree it takes some maturity to fully appreciate it. Emma bugs me, but....Mr Knightly!

Sense and Sensibility would be my next suggestion after N.A.

Northanger Abbey is a fun one. I also loved Emma--mainly because of Knightley. I completely disagree that it's lacking in wit and humor. I reluctantly admit I got bored and never finished Sense and Sensibility even though I adored both movie adaptations I saw.

I'd probably suggest Sense & Sensibility (rather than Emma or Persuasion) because of your dd's age.

I will also STRONGLY recommend that you two immediately sit down & watch the 1995 BBC adaption, with Colin Firth.

And I can't let a WTM thread on P&P pass, without mentioning "Lizzie Bennet Diaries"

This webseries is absolutely PG-13 (some subject matter), but it's an excellent modern adaption of P&P.

Trust me, there's great character development--even building on what Austen wrote.  Which is rare in adaptions!

One hundred 5-minute Youtubes, with extra social media (twitter, secondary characters' vlogs, etc).

(The same crew is currently doing Emma.)