Menu

Audio books for grown ups

*Lulu*

So DH and I have 14-ish hours worth of drive time just the two of us.

We would like to listen to an audiobook together and I knew the exact place to ask for suggestions!

DH is leaning toward fiction. He enjoyed the HP audios with the kids and likes David Baldacci, Dean Koontz, and Mira Grant.

Any ideas?

Personally, I would love something humorous. But I'd rather listen to a well done, less light hearted audio book than a poorly done humorous one.

Have you read/heard Ender's Game? DH and I have listened to several Orson Scott Card novels while traveling and enjoyed them, although I will say I started dreaming about the plots at night. :)

I enjoyed the book but did not care for the narrator's voice at all on the audio version.

On the lighter side I've been enjoying Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series. And if you're a fan of the 80's you might enjoy Ready Player One read by Wil Wheaton.

On the heavier side, Defending Jacob read by Grover Gardner.

If you like YA fiction the Artemis Fowl series read by Nathaniel Parker is excellent.

The Night Circus is really good as an audiobook, Jim Dale is the narrator and is excellent.

That was the first thing that leapt to my mind, too.

I've also very much enjoyed this series: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/etiquette-espionage-gail-carriger/1110621120?ean=9781619693166  There are two so far. They are definitely light and somewhat girly (lots of chit chat about dresses and tea), but also slyly, kind of darkly funny and with, possibly, enough action and spy stuff to hold a guy's interest.

And this one is one of the better done audiobooks I've listened to, in the sense that it makes really great use of the format: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/feed-m-t-anderson/1100305951?ean=9780807216552  It's dystopian and has a downer ending, but worth it.

The Night Circus is really good as an audiobook, Jim Dale is the narrator and is excellent. It's not humorous though. 

Loved this one on audio.

My very favorite audiobook ever (and I've listened to tons) is To Kill a Mockingbird read by Sissy Spacek. Her reading is spectacular!!

Humorous but not fiction is The Geography of Bliss read by the author Eric Weiner

Also very funny and well read is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn performed by Dick Hill, who does a marvelous reading.

Ender's Game is not humorous, by any means.  

Are you listening around kids?  If so, I'll recommend against The Dresden Files.  If kids are not with you or listening, I will enthusiastically second it, though.  It's excellent. 

Anything by Neil Gaiman, or Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman is excellent. 

If you like YA fiction the Artemis Fowl series read by Nathaniel Parker is excellent.

Agree! We listened to this whole series (kids and me; some of it whole family on a trip). Some of the kid books I don't really pay much attention to while the kids listen, but this was one we all enjoyed. The narrator changed mid-stream though. Didn't like him as much and it was irritating after having gotten used to the characters and pronunciations done a certain way. They swapped back later to the original.

Erica in OR

The narrator changed mid-stream though. Didn't like him as much and it was irritating after having gotten used to the characters and pronunciations done a certain way. They swapped back later to the original.

Erica in OR

Yes--our library has book 6 read by another narrator. Ds2 was so annoyed he refused to listen to that one. But I see on amazon that they have a version with NP as narrator.

Reminds me of the Series of Unfortunate Events. Starts with Tim Curry narrating--and he's awesome! Then the author narrates a couple of books and it's just *not* the same at all! Glad he went back to TC. I can't imagine anyone else singing "We are volunteers fighting disease and we're cheerful all day long . . . "

Reminds me of the Series of Unfortunate Events. Starts with Tim Curry narrating--and he's awesome! Then the author narrates a couple of books and it's just *not* the same at all! Glad he went back to TC. I can't imagine anyone else singing "We are volunteers fighting disease and we're cheerful all day long . . . "

Man, I'm with you there on that one too. We're wrapping that series up now. The author is just a terrible narrator.

Erica in OR

On the Road by Jack Kerouac would be a great one for a road trip. :) I don't know if you've read it, I think the book is kind of awkward to read yourself, I think because the sound and rhythm of the language is supposed to be part of the package, so a good narrator makes it come alive. My library had two versions and I found I preferred the one narrated by Will Patton.