Laura Corin

187 members have voted

1. 1. What's you attitude to lawn?

• Green is all I need - Male
    • Largely weed and moss free - Male
    • Green is all I need - Female
    • Largely weed and moss free - Female
    • Other

We mow the various wildflowers and weeds when the get over a foot long.

Our yard is a mix of sun and shade, with tons of rocks that drift to the surface constantly.  Dh used to try and grow grass but gave up years ago.  I actually like some of the wildflowers.  We have some really pretty purple ones and some small white ones.  Unfortunately we do have other things that get quite tall so it has to be mowed periodically.

I'm only calling the flat area behind and to the side of our house the "yard".  In front of the house we have a gravel driveway, a detached garage (at the road), another dirt driveway and a hill full of forsythia bushes and trees.  Behind the house is the flat area and then a hill that goes about 150 feet down to the river.  It's very overgrown with large oak and maple trees, smaller trees that pop up new every year, and undergrowth.  To one side (the side with the most sun and least slope) we have a fenced in raised bed garden.

Two adults in this house, a male and female. Neither one of us give a .... flying fig about the yard. Much to our neighbor's dismay I am sure.

We have this patch thing in front of our house that I am sure is meant to have flowers. We've lived here for 10 years and have never done a thing to it. It just has a bunch of stuff in it, some of it big and some of it huge. The yard out back is small, but not too bad for a city house. Well, at this exact moment it is under several feet of snow, but in the summer it is very sad and pounded into submission by the children's feet. It gets soaked with a hose and dug up.

Really it is a sad situation.

We are living in the city right now with a smallish yard.  True Green comes once a month and put stuff on it, the LL pays for it.    I try to keep it weed free and lush.  We water it in the summer and I mow weekly, unless its super dry.  I plant loads of flowers in the spring and summer and mulch each spring.    I can't wait to have our own home so all this work will be for us and not the LL. 

I voted other.  I would like a nice weed-free green lawn with plenty of fruit and veggies growing in what would normally be flower beds.  And I want all that without the work required to make it that way.

The reality is that I want whatever green-ish lawn I can get without spending a ton of time, water, and attention getting it.   Unfortunately, our current lease requires that we water the lawn and fertilize it every spring and fall.  The lawn was left in horrible condition by the owner and will take some work getting it to the point where the required work is worth it.

I love dandelions, clover, and chicory - actually in the summer mornings when chicory and Queen Anne's Lace are both in bloom it's probably one of the prettiest sights one can get along a road IMO.  Blowing dandelion seeds off their stalk is one of the fun things of spring/summer.  We all love assisting the next generation of flowers.

Our yard is mowed by our ponies periodically.  Our whole farm is fenced except for the road (road goes through the yard), so all we have to do is watch the road while enjoying some reading time and we're getting the yard mowed.  It's fun - and the neighbors are jealous.  Due to the fact that the ponies aren't keen on eating every single plant or blade of the yard, we also use a riding mower once every two weeks or so to level things off, but we do NOT mow the chicory along the road or driveway or buildings.  I love wildflowers.

In our fields we also leave about half a dozen decent sized patches of milkweed for the Monarchs.  Otherwise fields get mowed 2 - 3 times per year to keep uneaten grass + weeds down.

We do aggressively go after poison ivy and multiflora rose - and ragweed, but generally prefer non chemical methods.

We just care that the lawn is cut to town standards. Got a summons once that our lawn was too tall.  Oops. I wish I could afford to rip out the lawn and replace it with something that does not require maintenance.  Butterfly shrubs and rocks or something.

We keep both the front and back yard lawns lush grass, with as few weeds as possible.  We like to have a fun place for the kids to play.  We do not have animals so aside from the occasional pile from a neighbors dog that doesn't pick up, our yard is the only one free off animal poop.