Menu

What is the difference between TWTM

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read N&N, but I described WTM as history-centered once, and a wise friend corrected me and described it as skill-centered.  Don't know if that helps at all as you compare it to N&N, but it helped me understand why parts of WTM appeal to me and parts do not.

That actually helps a lot. Thank you!

Since I have not actually finished Norms and Nobility ( :)), I feel as if I am not qualified to really answer that question. I really wish that he had expanded more on his curriculum. I even tried looking up the school for which he was recently supposed to be working, but I never could really find any new or additional information.

Oh Holy Cats! We gonna Norm & Nobility chat!!! Iz so excited! Let's roll! :) ::big ears:::

:lol:

Let's chat.

I still haven't read N&N, I just can't get through it.

But, Mouse, I recently read Leisure, the basis of culture, by Pieper....and had no trouble reading and understanding that. Maybe I should try N&N again.... :D

I want a kindle version of N&N. My library doesn't have it, and I'm afraid to shell out the $$ for something that looks like it might gather a lot of dust on my shelf. ;)

Dare I buy it??

Do you like CiRCE? Do you like books on education and methodologies and theory? Do you like great slogging books that make you wonder if you have two brains cells to rub together?

Then it's the book for you. 

offhand -- my N&N is on its way, thanks to you!  (and now I've got to squinch around the rest of my Feb. budget to make space for it ... no more books, no more books, this must be my mantra) at any rate, I've not read it yet, this is just a thought based on browsing about N&N and having considered what WTM has & lacks relative to the classical education I want -- I was disappointed that WTM's version of classical didn't have virtue frankly at its center.  And N&N seems to be trying to do that.  The heart of classical education seems, IMHO, to be the development of virtue and the skills and the content are in service of that. 

Do you like CiRCE? Do you like books on education and methodologies and theory? Do you like great slogging books that make you wonder if you have two brains cells to rub together?

Then it's the book for you. 

What if CiRCE drives me bananas but I fit all the other categories?  I hope there's hope!!!  ;) 

offhand -- my N&N is on its way, thanks to you!  (and now I've got to squinch around the rest of my Feb. budget to make space for it ... no more books, no more books, this must be my mantra) at any rate, I've not read it yet, this is just a thought based on browsing about N&N and having considered what WTM has & lacks relative to the classical education I want -- I was disappointed that WTM's version of classical didn't have virtue frankly at its center.  And N&N seems to be trying to do that.  The heart of classical education seems, IMHO, to be the development of virtue and the skills and the content are in service of that. 

What if CiRCE drives me bananas but I fit all the other categories?  I hope there's hope!!!  ;) 

OK, you know a friend and I were talking about exactly this. 

Here's the thing. First off, we always want to think the best of someone. Secondly, we know, from SWB's lectures, that she is a virtuous person. I think that she let the work (books and authors) to speak for itself. She gave us those lists, and is not getting between the reader and author. Which is expecting a lot of maturity from the reader, but I also think it allowed TWTM to reach a broader audience. 

In a way, it was THE most missionary minded thing she could have done. 

And I think that saying TWTM isn't virtue driven is just too simplistic of an answer. 

N&N does preach to the choir. We may have a sneaking suspicion, and N&N confirms it, and then shows us how to build it. 

TWTM lays the ground in a much broader way, like I said, it's MUCH more accessible to a broader spectrum of people. 

I wanna join, too! A friend loaned me N&N, but I'm still getting through Leisure (this weekend!) and was about 1/4 way through Wisdom and Eloquence, but will jump into N&N if everyone else does. Must read in the evenings instead of lazing and watching the Olympics . . .

:blushing:

Leisure comes first, so don't feel bad at all. You need to know what schola is and it's purpose before you need N&N. I would also pick up The Abolition of Man and give that a quick read before attacking N&N if you could. 

Should we plan to start in two weeks? Would that give everyone time?

I want a kindle version of N&N. My library doesn't have it, and I'm afraid to shell out the $$ for something that looks like it might gather a lot of dust on my shelf. ;)

Dare I buy it??

I think it's a worthy book to buy, and that at some time, you would be grateful that you had it. 

Here's the thing. First off, we always want to think the best of someone. Secondly, we know, from SWB's lectures, that she is a virtuous person. I think that she let the work (books and authors) to speak for itself. She gave us those lists, and is not getting between the reader and author. Which is expecting a lot of maturity from the reader, but I also think it allowed TWTM to reach a broader audience. 

And I think that saying TWTM isn't virtue driven is just too simplistic of an answer. 

N&N does preach to the choir. We may have a sneaking suspicion, and N&N confirms it, and then shows us how to build it. 

TWTM lays the ground in a much broader way, like I said, it's MUCH more accessible to a broader spectrum of people. 

Leisure comes first, so don't feel bad at all. You need to know what schola is and it's purpose before you need N&N. I would also pick up The Abolition of Man and give that a quick read before attacking N&N if you could. 

Should we plan to start in two weeks? Would that give everyone time?

So, would you recommend reading Leisure first?  Anything else besides The Abolition of Man?   I was hoping to get a start on that this afternoon while the little one napped.  I only got a few pages in when he woke up.  

So, would you recommend reading Leisure first?  Anything else besides The Abolition of Man?   I was hoping to get a start on that this afternoon while the little one napped.  I only got a few pages in when he woke up.  

You don't HAVE to, but it's worth it. Leisure is what school is, and why it is. Norms and TWTM is how (Norms more on why)

I wanna join, too! A friend loaned me N&N, but I'm still getting through Leisure (this weekend!) and was about 1/4 way through Wisdom and Eloquence, but will jump into N&N if everyone else does. Must read in the evenings instead of lazing and watching the Olympics . . .

:blushing:

But the Olympics only come once every 4 years (or 2 years, if you like). The books will still be there next month. ;)

I think it's a worthy book to buy, and that at some time, you would be grateful that you had it. 

Thanks, that's helpful.  And just to be sure, the book is Leisure: The Basis of Culture by Josef Pieper right?

You guys are killing my budget. Must. wait. till. March...  :tongue_smilie:

I agree that SWB represents many virtuous qualities, and am grateful for her work -- both what she has produced for the homeschooling community and her generosity in sharing some of her personal experiences & even struggles.   Thank you for this perspective on comparing them!  :)

Interrupting to say that I pink-sparkly-heart *love* The Abolition of Man. Also, I just bought Leisure, thanks to this thread, and I'm rather tempted to use this post to justify delaying starting N&N, which has been on my shelf for a year and a half. Probably I really ought to start by re-reading The Abolition of Man ;).

One*mom, that's so cool!! I have no idea what this Trinity school is, but I really like their Humane Letters!

How would one prepare to teach something like that to their kids? (I'm an astrophysicist.)

Oh, and I put Abolition of Man on hold.

You have to read the books. Really, really, really. If you are going to have those discussions with them, if you are going to delve deeply into them, then you must read the books. You get a few books under you, and you start to see why, and you start to make the connections for yourself (because you are older, and wiser, and you've been exposed to more) and the whole if it starts to make sense. And then you can teach it. 

You have to read the books. Really, really, really. If you are going to have those discussions with them, if you are going to delve deeply into them, then you must read the books. You get a few books under you, and you start to see why, and you start to make the connections for yourself (because you are older, and wiser, and you've been exposed to more) and the whole if it starts to make sense. And then you can teach it.

Does it matter if it is alongside or ahead of? (I'm sure both/and would be preferable to either/or, but in case that doesn't happen I'm wondering which would be best.)

Reading the books is a given.

But I doubt it is enough. It is so easy to read into texts, to misunderstand certain terms, to not have enough background. I'm working very hard on Latin and Greek, so we will be able to read classics in a mix of original language and translation, but I still doubt I will have enough background knowlegde to really teach humane letters.

Reading the books is a given.

But I doubt it is enough. It is so easy to read into texts, to misunderstand certain terms, to not have enough background. I'm working very hard on Latin and Greek, so we will be able to read classics in a mix of original language and translation, but I still doubt I will have enough background knowlegde to really teach humane letters.

Of COURSE you can do it! 

What to Teachhttp://www.circeinstitute.org/resources-what-classical-education/what-teach

Lost Tools of Writing Webinars

Circe's How to Teach Classically

CiRCE's Vimeo page 

http://vimeo.com/85897803

The board is giving me crazy problems right now with linking but that last link-watch that one first. 

Does it matter if it is alongside or ahead of? (I'm sure both/and would be preferable to either/or, but in case that doesn't happen I'm wondering which would be best.)

Alongside at the least. With life, I have to make reading a priority, because their schooling is a priority. It comes before knitting. :D 

Ok, I think the break from the boards was long enough.  I cannot resist this.  :lol:

We still don't have the internet though, if there is a book discussion group on N&N or Leisure or Abolition of Man, could somebody PM or email me the link to the thread so that I can make sure to pop on here during our library visit?

you can subscribe to the thread, and then you should get a notification when people post to it.

Ok, I think the break from the boards was long enough.  I cannot resist this.  :lol:

We still don't have the internet though, if there is a book discussion group on N&N or Leisure or Abolition of Man, could somebody PM or email me the link to the thread so that I can make sure to pop on here during our library visit?

It's funny I first read Leisure and Abolition of Man as a college student, I didn't get as much out of them then as I do now rereading them, but my suspicion is that they were some of those seeds that got planted on the heart that made it so important for me to homeschool.  They were also books that indicated the importance of finding a cohesive philosophy which would guide the book/curriculum decisions we would make.

I'm just rambling here, but what struck me the most about Leisure was the very idea that study was actually a leisurely activity.  All my life, no matter whether behind the Iron Curtain or here intellectual activity was always tied with economics.  It was a "career."  Leisure allowed me to gradually accept the fact that true intellectual activity goes hand in hand with contemplation.

That made me feel guilty, when I understood that. It sounds awfully elitist.