Menu

Should I cancel this party?

Aspasia

We have planned a little Valentine's party for our neighborhood friends for tomorrow. Ds3 came down with some kind of illness on Tuesday night. He was acting normal all day and then at about 5:00 he just started laying around, looking pathetic. And he was burning up with a fever of 103. That night he just laid around until bed time and then slept for 13 hours. Wednesday he was still pretty low on energy--temp was still 103. Yesterday temp was 101, and today his temp is 100.5. He is coughing a lot, kind of a junky sounding cough.

Should I cancel this party? I kinda feel like I need to make the call by this afternoon. Would YOU be okay with your kid coming to a party at my house right now? I honestly don't know what to do. Obviously I don't want to disappoint the kids, but I also don't want to spread sickness.

I was definitely leaning toward canceling, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't just subconsciously looking for an easy way out of all the work. ;)

Now I have to break it to dd. :(

But it's nice to know I have some backers. I was feeling really guilty about the prospect of canceling, so the reinforcement helps. Thanks, ladies.

Cancel.

Schools would require a kid to be fever free without meds for at least 24 hours before returning.

I'd have the same rule for any activity involving other people.

This is exactly what I was thinking, but I was confused. I googled "when to keep your kid home from school", and everything referenced 101 as the cutoff for keeping a child home. Then they said the kid should be fever free for 24 hours, and I wasn't sure if that meant free of a fever of 101, or free of any fever.

I guess I just wanted to make sure that, when I tell dd we have to cancel, I'm not making a bigger deal out of it than I should. I mean, if this were church or some other random activity, I would play it safe and just keep him home. But with the excitement and whatnot, I wanted to be extra sure. And you guys are right, I wouldn't send my kid to such a party either. But I tend to be a little uptight about things like that ("just a cold" is never just a cold with a house full of littles), so I thought I should probably double check with some other moms. :)

Maybe postpone instead of cancelling, but with a vague future date, so dc is not so upset?  

But yeah, I'd cancel.  We attended a party once where the host had a child running a fever, she did warn us, but felt the child was much better.  We didn't get the warning until we got there, though.  Even with trying to keep kids from sharing food, toys etc.  over half the 4 year olds came down with what she had had and most were sick during the goodbye to 4k ceremonies at the day school they were attending...

Maybe postpone instead of cancelling, but with a vague future date, so dc is not so upset?

But yeah, I'd cancel. We attended a party once where the host had a child running a fever, she did warn us, but felt the child was much better. We didn't get the warning until we got there, though. Even with trying to keep kids from sharing food, toys etc. over half the 4 year olds came down with what she had had and most were sick during the goodbye to 4k ceremonies at the day school they were attending...

I like the idea of rescheduling. :)

Rescheduling is tricky, because the local elementary school doesn't get out until 4:00, which means the kids aren't home until 4:30. And then next Saturday Valentine's Day will be over. Plus, we already have other plans for that day.

We decided that they can still deliver valentines to their friends and then we'll just do a family party. We can still decorate, play some of the games, eat the snacks, frost cookies, and make valentines for each other. The kids are excited because Daddy will be home for it--they're still little enough that that makes it almost as awesome as having friends come. ;)

We are going to a homeschool Valentine's party on Valentine's Day, too, so it's not like they won't have any celebration at all.

And then we'll just have to have another party for something else. Maybe just a random party for partying's sake.

Rescheduling is tricky, because the local elementary school doesn't get out until 4:00, which means the kids aren't home until 4:30. And then next Saturday Valentine's Day will be over. Plus, we already have other plans for that day.

We decided that they can still deliver valentines to their friends and then we'll just do a family party. We can still decorate, play some of the games, eat the snacks, frost cookies, and make valentines for each other. The kids are excited because Daddy will be home for it--they're still little enough that that makes it almost as awesome as having friends come. ;)

We are going to a homeschool Valentine's party on Valentine's Day, too, so it's not like they won't have any celebration at all.

And then we'll just have to have another party for something else. Maybe just a random party for partying's sake.

I'm sure plenty of people will be having valentines parties the day after valentines day, so don't feel like you can't reschedule the party for then.