Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW6

Robin M

If you enjoyed Jacobs and are looking for tone, humor, insight and... drumroll.... the dreaded f-word...

!!@#$%((*!!!

... feminism,  :lol: , I was pleasantly surprised with Rachel Held Evans' A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master".

I'm scared to open that last link :w00t: :lol:

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, moved to the USA quite a few years ago, sadly. I try to go back every 2 or 3 years, though. I miss it so!

:grouphug:

At least you don't have to worry about homeschooling becoming illegal....:banghead:.

I have always been working hard at self-ed, Latin and Greek, and I had big plans for reading through Dutch High School literature lists this year....but I can't get my motivation up, with so much uncertainty.

I'm reading Cloud Atlas, per the recommendations from this thread. Enjoying it so far.

Sarum was a book my father loved. It sat in our library when I was a child calling to me but never quite loudly enough. I'd forgotten about it till seeing your post.

Sarum was fil's favorite too. He actually brought it with him when we all visited the site and read me his favorite parts. I really should have read it then.

Phoenix -- I read the Pillars of the Earth a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Personally, while I disliked the violent character greatly I did some research and he was actually a real knight who did at least some of what his character does. While reading a couple of times I thought "Ok I get he is detestable" but I think it was probably necessary given the span of events that happens with few characters.

Yeah, I know. I think I remember hearing that quite a few parts of the book were fairly accurate, historically-speaking. But as someone (Onceuponatime?) on this thread mentioned recently, I can know the reality that there is bad stuff in the world, but I don't always want to spend my (pleasure) reading time inhabiting those places....

I just finished this book and I actually liked it. It reminded me a little of Remains of the Day (which I read last year and loved). They are both kind of "mind journey" books. In both books they are going on a real journey, but it's how they are growing inside that's important. And sometimes I don't have the tolerance for books like that either and have to save them for later...or never :lol:.

I highly recommend Remains of the Day though. It's not a book I remotely understood 20 years ago. It's funny how age can change your book appreciation. Which is why I never understand why we make high schoolers read classics. There are so many books I did not "get" in high school that I "get" now. (Ducking for onslaught of rotten tomatoes now :laugh:).

I find it fascinating that you have linked the two books (but I agree they are both 'mind journey'/growth books)! Intensely disliked Harold Fry, but I love, love, love The Remains of the Day. It's one of my favorite books & I am just awed by Ishiguro's writing.

So much of my opinion of a book depends on where I am in life at the time I am reading it.

Exactly!

Passing through your town, Stacia, on the way to visit dh. *waves*

:seeya: Have fun & drive safely!

I just received it. I mean to start it as soon as I'm done with Goldfinch; will report back.

If you enjoyed Jacobs and are looking for tone, humor, insight and... drumroll.... the dreaded f-word...

!!@#$%((*!!!

... feminism, :lol: , I was pleasantly surprised with Rachel Held Evans' A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master".

PS: OK, I think I am ready now for my Advanced Posting Tutorial, so I can put up my gif of a man in a tophat beating a well-dead horse...

Like shukriyya, I think I may be afraid to open that book link! :lol:

I learned all my gif-posting from Michele! :hurray: To post gifs, go to google images & search for the type of image you want. (For example, "dog in car gif".) From the images that show, click on one & you should see a preview of it. If it is what you want, click on "view image". Once the image page comes up, right click on the image/gif, copy it, then come here & paste it.

Once in awhile you will get a message here saying that it is not a type of file you can post. Go back & look at the web address for the picture or gif. It needs to end in .jpg or .gif (or a similar photo type extension). If it doesn't this board doesn't recognize/allow it.

You've got the power now!

:grouphug:

At least you don't have to worry about homeschooling becoming illegal.... :banghead:.

I have always been working hard at self-ed, Latin and Greek, and I had big plans for reading through Dutch High School literature lists this year....but I can't get my motivation up, with so much uncertainty.

I'm reading Cloud Atlas, per the recommendations from this thread. Enjoying it so far.

Hmm... since you are still over there, would you have any suggestions for monolingual Dutch grammar books? I'm in need of one for when I teach my kids (I want to brush up too) but not sure what would work well. I'd like something that is actually used in school/university, as they seem to be much more accurate than books intended to teach Dutch to foreigners.

OK, I've got the power, I am woman, hear me roar....

... the dreaded...

http://awesomegifs.com/2012/07/beating-a-dead-horse/

... f-word...

It is, actually, neither mean-spirited nor scary.  Along the same lines as Jacobs, but from a... y'know..

(....female....)

perspective.

:lol:

Like shukriyya, I think I may be afraid to open that book link! :lol:

I learned all my gif-posting from Michele!  :hurray:  To post gifs, go to google images & search for the type of image you want. (For example, "dog in car gif".) From the images that show, click on one & you should see a preview of it. If it is what you want, click on "view image". Once the image page comes up, right click on the image/gif, copy it, then come here & paste it.

Once in awhile you will get a message here saying that it is not a type of file you can post. Go back & look at the web address for the picture or gif. It needs to end in .jpg or .gif (or a similar photo type extension). If it doesn't this board doesn't recognize/allow it.

You've got the power now!

HighFivefaster.gifi-ve-got-the-power-o.gif

ETA:

Oh.

Uh.

I guess I don't, actually, have the power.

(back to trying to insert a GIF...)

I just received it. I mean to start it as soon as I'm done with Goldfinch; will report back.

!!@#$%((*!!!

... feminism, :lol: , I was pleasantly surprised with Rachel Held Evans' A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master".

PS: OK, I think I am ready now for my Advanced Posting Tutorial, so I can put up my gif of a man in a tophat beating a well-dead horse...

No, don't be afraid to open Pam's link, everyone. This was actually a great humorous book. RHE is actually a rather progressive Christian author, and she more or less does a year long experiment to prove a point. Much like, as was mentioned, AJ Jacobs' book.

Re The Geography of Bliss--I read it a few years ago as well and I remember not particularly liking it in the end though I can't remember why :unsure:

Some time later the author was attending an event my husband was teaching at and he interviewed dh for another book he was working on, a peculiar combination of sufism, wicca and two other religions that seemed to have no correlation. My husband was amused? bemused? unenthused? by the premise and told him so. I don't know if the book ever saw the light of day though :lol:

ETA I wonder if this is it? I'll have to ask dh.

Quoting myself...I asked dh if this was the book and indeed it is. Now I'm going to have to read it to see if he's actually in there :lol:

Finished:

Eat That Frog: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Ger More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy.  ***  I have such a weakness for time management/organization books so when I saw someone here review this (I can't remember who ... terribly sorry!) I knew I had to get it from my library.  I had low expectations because it's so rare for a book like this to be new and innovative.  This was much the same as all books like this but it was presented in such an easy to read format that I would recommend it to a kid right out of college starting their first job.  It would take them 30 minutes to read and they would get some useful tips out of it.

Also I think the font was unusually large in the book I had.  I can only assume that was to get the page count over 100.  It kind of amused me though.  Like a kid deciding to make their research paper 12.7 point font and hoping the teacher doesn't notice.  

DD and I started Little Britches last night.  Is this going to be a horribly sad book?  The first chapter was a little rough.  

Finished:

Eat That Frog: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Ger More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy. *** I have such a weakness for time management/organization books so when I saw someone here review this (I can't remember who ... terribly sorry!) I knew I had to get it from my library. I had low expectations because it's so rare for a book like this to be new and innovative. This was much the same as all books like this but it was presented in such an easy to read format that I would recommend it to a kid right out of college starting their first job. It would take them 30 minutes to read and they would get some useful tips out of it.

Also I think the font was unusually large in the book I had. I can only assume that was to get the page count over 100. It kind of amused me though. Like a kid deciding to make their research paper 12.7 point font and hoping the teacher doesn't notice.

DD and I started Little Britches last night. Is this going to be a horribly sad book? The first chapter was a little rough.

Little Britches ends very sadly (my husband and I were trading paragraph by paragraph at the end so we could get it together) and there is some sad throughout.

But, it was totally worth it. So many things to talk about ... It was 2 years ago that we read it and we still talk about ideas from it.

Little Britches ends very sadly (my husband and I were trading paragraph by paragraph at the end so we could get it together) and there is some sad throughout.

But, it was totally worth it. So many things to talk about ... It was 2 years ago that we read it and we still talk about ideas from it.

I guess we will continue.  We read Carry On, Mr Bowditch and loved it even though it was sad.  DH and I joked that there were more deaths in it then in a Steve Segal movie.  Not that DD got that joke.  Every night when we picked it up she would say "I wonder who is going to die in this chapter?".

I guess we will continue. We read Carry On, Mr Bowditch and loved it even though it was sad. DH and I joked that there were more deaths in it then in a Steve Segal movie. Not that DD got that joke. Every night when we picked it up she would say "I wonder who is going to die in this chapter?".

If you want spoilers I can PM you. Let me know.

I read Germs, Genes, and Civilizations and I'm seriously wondering how humans still exist and endure.

I'd go insane. Take my TV. Take my computer. But don't take away books. I don't know how to survive without them.

I finished my very first Stephen King book, The Eyes of the Dragon. Do I win some sort of prize for finally reading a King book?

Congratulations on your first Stephen King book.  You get a virtual prize.   :hurray:    My first King book was  actually his nonfiction book On Writing which made me want to read his fiction.  Since I have a hard time with horror,  I went with Gunslinger, the first book in his Dark Tower series and loved it, read the whole series.  I love psychological thrillers and his Duma Key and Under the Dome were really good.  He is a good writer and just like Dean Kootnz, you  just have to dig to find the ones that aren't pure horror.

My first post in here this year, eek!

I've been keeping track of everything I read. Last year was definitely a non-fiction year. This year, I've been on a bit of a fantasy kick so far, so I've read a lot of books (so much faster to go through). I've liked all the books I've read so far, this year.

I'm currently working on four books: Sasja, The Robert Collier Letter Book, Simplicity Parenting, and Bitterblue.

My reads so far:

27 De Kameleon op jacht P. de Roos 02/03/14
26 Scientific Advertising Claude C. Hopkins 02/02/14
25 You are Your Child's First Teacher Rahima Baldwin Dancy 02/01/14
24 Fire Kristin Cashore 01/30/14
23 Palace of Stone Shannon Hale 01/30/14
22 The No-Cry Potty Training Solution Elizabeth Pantley 01/29/14
21 The No-Cry Discipline Solution Elizabeth Pantley 01/29/14
20 Aerie Mercedes Lackey 01/24/14
19 Sanctuary Mercedes Lackey 01/23/14
18 Alta Mercedes Lackey 01/23/14
17 Joust Mercedes Lackey 01/22/14
16 Redders met de Kameleon H. de Roos 01/18/14
15 Potty Training Boys, the Easy Way Caroline Fertleman, Simone Cave 01/17/14
14 Crown of Midnight Sarah Maas 01/17/14
13 1-2-3 Magic Thomas Phelan 01/17/14
12 Lioness Rampant Tamora Pierce 01/14/14
11 The Woman Who Rides like a Man Tamora Pierce 01/10/14
10 In the Hand of the Goddess Tamora Pierce 01/10/14
9 Screamfree Parenting Hal Runkel 01/09/14
8 Throne of Glass Sarah Maas 01/09/14
7 The Amber Spyglass Philip Pullman 01/08/14
6 The Subtle Knife Philip Pullman 01/07/14
5 The Golden Compass Philip Pullman 01/07/14
4 Princess Academy Shannon Hale 01/03/14
3 Graceling Kristin Cashore 01/02/14
2 Blackveil Kristen Britain 01/02/14
1 The High King's Tomb Kristen Britain 01/01/14

Happy to see you posting. I love Mercedes Lackey and thoroughly enjoyed all the books in her Valdemar world. 

No, don't be afraid to open Pam's link, everyone. This was actually a great humorous book. RHE is actually a rather progressive Christian author, and she more or less does a year long experiment to prove a point. Much like, as was mentioned, AJ Jacobs' book.

Okay, talked me into it. Added to my wishlist. 

My Inferno has arrived. I've begun my journey and crossed the river Acheron into Limbo.

The Rachel Held Evans book has been to my to read list for a while. I intend to get to it eventually, maybe. I also enjoyed Jacob's book.

Yeah.   I had planned on diving in after finishing Here Be Dragons but discovered it isn't a book to zip through.  Sooo....Looks like I need a reading plan after all.   Guess I'll start this Sunday with the goal of reading at least one canto a day (stealing from good reads group idea)and see how it goes from there.  Found the first Canto on You Tube which is beautifully read.

I'm joining late!

So far this year I have read:

1. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

2. Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

3. Death. Masks by Jim Butcher

4. Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

5. French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon

6. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I've been on a Fantasy kick for years, so I don't expect I'll be reading a lot of classics again this year. I do need to write up a list of books I'd like to finish, though. I've read Inferno several times, so I think I'll skip that one. I've been sticking to Fantasy to escape stress. :)

I'm reading Dead Beat (Butcher), Wise Man's Fear (Rothfuss-reread), and Across Five Aprils now.

DD and I started Little Britches last night.  Is this going to be a horribly sad book?  The first chapter was a little rough.  

I guess we will continue.  We read Carry On, Mr Bowditch and loved it even though it was sad.  DH and I joked that there were more deaths in it then in a Steve Segal movie.  Not that DD got that joke.  Every night when we picked it up she would say "I wonder who is going to die in this chapter?".

James and I thoroughly enjoyed Carry On, Mr. Dowditch and lead to some great discussions on everything from emotions to shipping.  We made it through 2 chapters of Little Britches and gave up.    It just didn't hold James attention and I didn't particularly care so dropped.

I'm joining late!

I've been on a Fantasy kick for years, so I don't expect I'll be reading a lot of classics again this year. I do need to write up a list of books I'd like to finish, though. I've read Inferno several times, so I think I'll skip that one. I've been sticking to Fantasy to escape stress. :)

I'm reading Dead Beat (Butcher), Wise Man's Fear (Rothfuss-reread), and Across Five Aprils now.

Welcome.  I have yet to read Jim Butcher but heard many good things about him. Have Storm Front in my stacks to read this year.    Lots of fantasy readers here, including me,  so you'll be in good company.

Thanks! I put The Dresden Files off for years thinking they would be too...silly. And they are kind of silly, but in a good way. He doesn't make it a secret, there's lots of tongue in cheek and poking fun at the whole thing. I'm really enjoying them. Some people say they're Harry Potter for adults. :)

ETA: Storm. Front is ok, but stick with it and the books get better as they go along.

Bringing this over from last week...

This article brought me right back to The Goldfinch and may be of interest to those looking for stolen art books:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/us/a-violinists-triumph-is-ruined-by-thieves.html?_r=0

The stolen Stradivarius has been recovered:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/recovered-violin-confirmed-stolen-stradivarius-22395946

:rant:

I do not like this head cold that my husband gave me. 

That is all.

Or maybe not.

I attended a conference today with an intelligent key note speaker who clearly did not know her audience.  Such a shame.  At least I wasn't sneezing then.  Hmmm...maybe I should blame the cold on general cooties in public spaces and let my husband off the hook.  Nah...

OK.

Let me take this opportunity to say, I really appreciate your support, here, Stacia, as well as your most your excellent step-by-step instructions (Are you some kind of... a teacher... or what, btw?)

Herein is my problem:

I don't have a right-click button.

I'm working off a MacBook, and all it has is one of those swoosh-pad things.

But I'll...

tumblr_m9iypwjKse1qkxki7.gif

and double-click...

... and drag to desktop...

and...

post-25179-you-can-do-it-gif-serious-Rob

SHAZAM!!!

dead-horse.gif

Thanks!

Jane, I've been thinking of you as I knit away here in the gloaming with my lovely Rowan yarn and a cuppa while listening to The Woman in White. It's been a very enjoyable combination. I can't remember the last time I listened to an audiobook that was one of my own choosing and geared towards adults.

Feel better soon. I'm pouring a cup for you...

I finished Alan Furst's espionage novel Red Gold, a sequel to The World at Night with the same main character.  On the one hand, it is interesting to see what happens to Jean Casson who has been forced to assume a new identity.  Unfortunately I did not find this as captivating as some of Furst's other works.

Moving on to Jane Eyre which I have not read since 9th grade!! 

Congratulations on your first Stephen King book.  You get a virtual prize.   :hurray:    My first King book was  actually his nonfiction book On Writing which made me want to read his fiction.  Since I have a hard time with horror,  I went with Gunslinger, the first book in his Dark Tower series and loved it, read the whole series.  I love psychological thrillers and his Duma Key and Under the Dome were really good.  He is a good writer and just like Dean Kootnz, you  just have to dig to find the ones that aren't pure horror.

I've been avoiding King's books for years because I don't like horror.  I may just have to give him a try sometime this year.

I'm joining late!

Welcome!  I love fantasy books, so I'll be watching your list with interest. 

Jane, I've been thinking of you as I knit away here in the gloaming with my lovely Rowan yarn and a cuppa while listening to The Woman in White. It's been a very enjoyable combination. I can't remember the last time I listened to an audiobook that was one of my own choosing and geared towards adults.

Feel better soon. I'm pouring a cup for you...

I'm not sick but your hot tea looked lovely!  

I drink hot tea once in awhile (I'm much more of a coffee drinker), but why does it look like tea coming out of the spout & there's also a tea strainer over the cup? Is that for double-straining?

:confused1:

Please help educate this novice tea-drinker.

Loose tea as opposed to bags, my dear.  A proper tea is loose.  (I guess this means you are not a loose woman!)

I'm not sick but your hot tea looked lovely!  

C'mon over :D

I drink hot tea once in awhile (I'm much more of a coffee drinker), but why does it look like tea coming out of the spout & there's also a tea strainer over the cup? Is that for double-straining?

:confused1:

Please help educate this novice tea-drinker.

The tea in this instance would be loose leaf and poured directly over a little strainer to filter out the leaves. Not sure what you mean about it coming out of the spout though.

Hi ladies! Spent the day at a beautiful butterfly garden. It was lovely. Had a little guy attached to my sweatshirt almost the entire time. Oh, to read in a butterfly garden with no one else around....

I finished my very first Stephen King book, The Eyes of the Dragon. Do I win some sort of prize for finally reading a King book?

Yay! I have not yet read a King book yet because it's not really my genre, either, although I would like to read his On Writing that Robin mentioned. I did try his book that he co-authored with some else that came highly recommended from this forum, The Talisman. I wasn't able to make it through the whole thing a few years back, but I recently re-added it to my TBR list to try it again.

I finished Divergent today by Veronica Roth.  I'm still pondering how I felt about it.  For roughly the first 300 pages I kept reading hoping that the story would go somewhere and that I would begin to like the main character, Tris.  She would show some promise and then shatter it.  I found her totally selfish and immature. The author would give me a tease of where the plot was going and then abandon it.  I found myself wondering why I agreed to read this dystopian book.  The last 150 pages were kind of like a different book.  The plot appeared and the main character became a little more likable.  I thought I knew where the author was headed and then I was totally surprised.  I began the book with the intent to only read it, not the others in the series.  Dd19 was disappointed in the end of the third book and said I wouldn't like it.  Now I feel compelled to see where the series goes, so I will probably finish it at some point.  I think dystopian novels threaten my security.  I do not like thinking about "what if?"  I just want to plod along with my little life and not think about the fact that my world could go crazy like one of these novels.  I find them disturbing.  I have no idea what to rate this book.  At first I was thinking a 2 star book, but I liked the end.  But can the last 150 pages make up for the first 300?  I don't know.  Maybe a 3.5 star book.

Dystopian is SOOO not my thing for all the reasons you mentioned. I have gone back and forth about whether or not I will read this book. I read the first Hunger Games book and didn't care for it, so I'm thinking I probably won't like this one, either.

I detest dystopian novels for similar reasons.  They always make me feel a bit sad and keeps me up at night worried.  Maybe I'm just not tough enough stuff for those type books.  And now back to some cozy mysteries and British humor and Regency romances!

:iagree:

I think I'm in the definite minority by not liking The Pillars of the Earth. It was ok (writing so-so, story so-so), but frankly, the rape/bad guy scenes in there overshadowed the other parts of the book for me.

However, mostly (from people both here & irl), I've heard nothing but raves about The Pillars of the Earth. Many, many people highly recommend it. Maybe I was overly sensitive when I read it?

Can't think of another sweeping epic type book of similar content right now....

Ooookayyyyy. Yes. As you all are writing, I'm remembering that I once did have a hard copy of this book and didn't get very far because of what you all are mentioning. I started reading Fall of Giants last night and wasn't pleased when in the first few pages, we were already talking about the, er, male part and what the character had named it. :glare: I'm going to give it a little longer to see...

:rant:

I do not like this head cold that my husband gave me. 

That is all.

Or maybe not.

I attended a conference today with an intelligent key note speaker who clearly did not know her audience.  Such a shame.  At least I wasn't sneezing then.  Hmmm...maybe I should blame the cold on general cooties in public spaces and let my husband off the hook.  Nah...

Hope you are feeling better soon!!!!

This is also why I'll re-read books. It took me 20 years to like Moby Dick. I occasionally wonder if I'll suddenly like Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, or The Red Badge of Courage in another few decades. 

So for Moby Dick, your telling me I have 20 years.... :lol:

I just finished the romantic suspense novel Bad Nights (Rockfort Security) by Rebecca York.  The storyline strained credulity a time or five, but it was still an okay read.

"You Only Get a Second Chance...

Private operative and former Navy SEAL Jack Brandt barely escaped a disastrous undercover assignment, thanks to the most intriguing woman he's ever met. When his enemies track him to her doorstep, he'll do anything to protect Morgan from the danger closing in on them both...

If You Stay Alive...

Since her husband's death, Morgan Rains has only been going through the motions. She didn't think anything could shock her—until she finds a gorgeous man stumbling naked and injured through the woods behind her house. He's mysterious, intimidating—and undeniably compelling.

Thrown together into a pressure cooker of danger and intrigue, Jack and Morgan are finding in each other a reason to live—if they can survive."

Regards,

Kareni

I've also been doing some more rereading of old favorites including a couple of historical romances by Jo Goodman.  She writes intriguing romances and seems deserving of a larger readership.  Her books often have themes one doesn't often encounter in a romance (child molestation, mental illness) which add to their interest.

Loose tea as opposed to bags, my dear.  A proper tea is loose.  (I guess this means you are not a loose woman!)

I guess I was just assuming there was already a strainer ball thingy in the teapot, kwim???

:blushing:

I'll go back to drinking my coffee now....

Totally off-topic, but I just need to post & say my inner fangirl is already ga-go over the Winter Olympics. (Anyone else who watched it tonight?) I know my reading counts will go down a good bit over the next couple of weeks.

Had a great time watching tonight. For teams skating, I just have to say *wow* to Japan & Russia for their male skaters (Yuzuru Hanyu; Evgeni Plushenko), plus another *wow* for the Russian pairs team (Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov). Bravo! I totally love this stuff.

FYI, here is Yuzuru Hanyu at the 2013 Japanese Nationals skating the program that he did tonight. He blew everyone away & the commentators even mentioned that all the skating teams (from all the countries) were standing to give him an ovation.

http://youtu.be/eTXmva9Ds8w

And, here are Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov skating their routine (different event, but same skating program they did tonight):

Enjoyed the other events too such as snowboarding & moguls. Hard to believe Canada has 3 sisters who are all competing in this Olympics & even in the same event.

Thanks for humoring my fangirl moment! :001_smile:

In regards to the tea discussiion -- For tea I think it may be regional whether people in high tea drinking areas use the ball strainer or loose in the pot. Within a few minutes of leaving my house I could buy several outside the pot strainers, unless the antique store had a tea ball I suspect it would be off to a larger town. It is also very important when the milk goes in the cup, before or after. I personally cannot tell the difference but when serving here it makes people much happier for it to go in first. ;) I am assured it tastes better.

I finished the second Sigma Force "Map of Bones" by James Rollins. It was a fun fast paced read. I loved all the searching for the artifact and solving the clues bits -- very Indiana Jones. It was also very kind to my geography challenge as they seemed to hop all over, Italy, Switzerland, and Egypt, were new additions for me.

Detouring from the (fascinating) f-word discussion for a moment to affirm that for me, as well...

To me, disagreeing says that someone's ideas are worth discussing, it says 'I value you'.    I'll try to make that more obvious in the future, okay? :grouphug:  

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

Disagreement is a form of engagement.  If we don't think each other's ideas are worth discussing, we just... walk away!  (Of course, disagreement should be civil!)

Eliana, my thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and grandbaby. And you.

In regards to the tea discussiion -- For tea I think it may be regional whether people in high tea drinking areas use the ball strainer or loose in the pot. Within a few minutes of leaving my house I could buy several outside the pot strainers, unless the antique store had a tea ball I suspect it would be off to a larger town. It is also very important when the milk goes in the cup, before or after. I personally cannot tell the difference but when serving here it makes people much happier for it to go in first. ;) I am assured it tastes better.

In my region, the tea is high because after you put the Lipton teabags and a couple gallons of water in your jar, you put it up on the cab of your pickup in the sun to brew.