Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW6

Robin M

Quite amusing what you can find on Pinterest.  Looked up Italian books and found

Now I'm thinking I need to go find a spaghetti western, preferably with Clint Eastward,  while enjoying some lasagna and Chianti in my garden, daydreaming of

Or better yet, rewatch  

While perusing

and learning how to make appropriate hand  gestures.

Felice Lettura!!!!

Can't miss this one. Classic, authentic and ambiguous with a side of deliciousness. One of my favorite food authors.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That cat on the other lends a certain refinement to the process, those paws seeming to exude an obvious and feline joy.

Ah, but I do have cats & am a little bit of a cat expert. When you get them to wash the dishes, that is ok. But, they're *terrible* about putting things away.

funny-gif-cat-breaking-stuff.gif

funny-gif-cats-knocking-over-glass.gif

(Of course, then you will no longer need to worry about washing dishes as you won't have any left.)

Nevertheless I think the approach of the woman with the power cleaner is the way to go. Clearly she is determined. Her concentration is laudable :smilielol5:

I think it really comes down to... the dog's evil plan to have you do all the work after all!

I just finished  Rumor Has It (An Animal Magnetism Novel) by Jill Shalvis.  It was a pleasant contemporary romance.

"Special Ops soldier Griffin Reid doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t exactly have happy memories of growing up in Sunshine, Idaho. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s only come back to recover from a war injury, and while he refuses to admit heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s in a weakened state, he finds comfort in the last person heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d expect.

Kate Evans teaches fourth grade science in Sunshine, the place sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s always called home. Dreaming of graduate school and a happily-ever-after, sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s desperate to break out of the monotony of Sunshine. Luckily, a certain sexy man has just come back into her life.

To Griffin, Kate as always been his little sisterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s friend, but now heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s finding her to be so much more. As both attempt to forge their paths, they must decide if their passionate connection can turn into something lastingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦"

Actually, she's a second grade teacher so clearly the blurb above has inaccuracies.  I had to get up to check what was on the back of the book; that was correct!

Regards,

Kareni

Going back to the feminism topic, Flavorwire has a timely post (which I love because author Helen Oyeyemi is on the list):

25 Women Poised to Lead the Culture in 2014

The opening paragraph:

Look: I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t like writing these lists either. I long for the day in which I will no longer have to write them, when women will just be the people participating in the culture as full human beings like everyone else, because the culture will have quit giving disproportionate airtime to the other gender. In the meantime: DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t listen to the old fogeys who insist that the reason women donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make a lot of noise in the culture is that they do unremarkable work. You just donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t hear enough about the remarkable work. Here are 25 women who will do great things this year.

Ciao tutti! Buon giorno! Everything sounds better in Italian. Since I have a smattering of Italian still stuck in my brain from a 3 year stay in Sicily back in the 80's, I did think about attempting the Inferno in Italian...for five seconds. That would be one of those 5 year long things where you learn as you go and when you finish you are an expert. I'm too lazy. This is a piece of a memory from that time:

BELLA SOLE!

Mediterranean beauty, loved by all,

warm and affectionate, giving gifts:

oranges and olives to calloused countrymen,

tomatoes and herbs to their work-worn wives.

But best of all...

sun-kissed children shout with joy

when her radiant face chases away

the ugly clouds on a dreary day.

P.S. I admit that I have been overfond of alliteration.

P. S. S. For spaghetti westerns, nothing beats the Trinity movies, crazy fun.

Arrivederci!

Eliana, I'm so glad you enjoyed The Weaver Takes a Wife ! I thought it was a sweet story and a nice "in-between" read.

Boy, this thread moves so quickly!  Last week  I read:

This House is Haunted by John Boyne. Meh. You can read my review on Goodreads.

Fallen Angel by Charlotte Louise Dolan. Another meh. I have to read a lot of "mehs" in order to get a "yay!".

Finished reading The Lies of Locke Lamora.  It was interesting because there really wasn't an undertone of romance or sexual tension anywhere in the book. I seldom come across fantasy that doesn't have at least a bit of that.    

I've heard good things about this book (for example, here).  Did you enjoy it?

Regards,

Kareni

Goodbye, Harold Fry...

Lol.

So, did you finish the book or ditch it? (I did not like Harold & ditched him pretty early.)

Finished reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. It was interesting because there really wasn't an undertone of romance or sexual tension anywhere in the book. I seldom come across fantasy that doesn't have at least a bit of that.

Like Kareni, I would like to know your thoughts on it. I've seen it highly recommended....

7. "Speaking From Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley. Hey, I read one just for fun! I saw everyone discussing the new one, and realized I'd given up on the hold list last year for this one.

6. "The Continuous Conversion" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

5. "The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

4. "Finding Hope" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).

3. "When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).

2. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling. (Read-aloud)

1. "The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes" by James L. Ferrell (LDS).

It was a tough year for us last year (steadily worsening mental health issues in DH and DS), and it doesn't look to be over yet, so at least for the beginning of the year, I'll be reading not so much for intellectual challenge or entertainment, but more for, um, I don't know, emotional and spiritual recentering. I don't know what else to call it. Also for information needed to understand what's going on. I don't plan to sum up what I'm reading for a while, just list the title and author, and since many will probably be by authors from my faith (LDS), I'll put that in parenthesis when it applies as well.

I've heard good things about this book (for example, here).  Did you enjoy it?

Regards,

Kareni

I agree with most of that review and I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  The one part I disagree with is that I think the jumping back and forth chronologically was a bit annoying, especially since it tended to happen during exciting parts.   I can say I really didn't expect the plot twists or development.  At one point I recall thinking "I have absolutely no idea how they are going to get out of this".  It is really refreshing when a book can do that.     

It was exceptionally well written and I enjoyed the characters.  Like the reviewer you posted, I LOVED that Locke wasn't some sort of alpha male master fighter ...   I liked that the book managed to walk the line between YA and Dark fantasy.  Lots of blood but not to the point that you can't appreciate the beauty of the world building.

Ok, I'm going to swallow my pride, tiptoe in here and post my paltry list for the year so far - all audiobooks and one started in December. I've just been too tired, distracted and discouraged to do much reading lately. :(

1. The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley - I was so-so about the first Flavia book, but decided to try the next one and ended up enjoying it more. Guess maybe Flavia is growing on me. :) I've now started the third one.

2. One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters - I enjoyed the first Brother Cadfael mystery last year and really liked this one. Great characters, romance, surprise twists, and lovely writing.

3. A Few Quick Ones by P.G. Wodehouse - Ok, but not the best Wodehouse book I've listened to so far. Some of the stories seemed a bit dĂƒÂ©jĂƒÂ  vu.

I was going to join the Inferno read-along, but after some of Dh's comments (he's currently listening to it), I think I might get more out of it if I read/listen to The Odyssey and The Aeneid first (which I hope to do later this year). I have just started a 13th century read, but won't post more about it now in case I give up on it. :P

About Alan Bradley: I got a kick out of the first two books but the third (A Red Herring Without Mustard) fell completely flat for me and I never went back. Perhaps there is hope for the series?

Oh, no! But with all the talk here about the latest one I want to keep going with the series to find out what happens.

About Alan Bradley:  I got a kick out of the first two books but the third (A Red Herring Without Mustard) fell completely flat for me and I never went back.  Perhaps there is hope for the series?

1. The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley - I was so-so about the first Flavia book, but decided to try the next one and ended up enjoying it more. Guess maybe Flavia is growing on me. :) I've now started the third one.

I have loved the entire Flavia series (but #2, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, was my least favorite). To me, they're fluffy fun reading & I just adore Flavia.

I think there's a divide of people -- those who love the Flavia books & those who think 'meh' about it.

Jane, thanks for the reminder about The Woman in White. Not sure if I'll get around to listening to it this time or not. (The Olympics are starting this week, so my reading time will be greatly curtailed as I become a couch potato.)

Anna, sounds like you're off to a fine start (even if you don't think so). I totally understand your feelings. I felt very distracted from books in January too.

Oh my, have I been enjoying the BBC Radio 4 Extra dramatization of The Woman in White!

About Alan Bradley:  I got a kick out of the first two books but the third (A Red Herring Without Mustard) fell completely flat for me and I never went back.  Perhaps there is hope for the series?

I didn't care for that one, either. Try the 4th one - it is set at Christmastime and there is nary a.. child murder....in sight. (semi-spoiler)

Going back to the feminism topic, Flavorwire has a timely post (which I love because author Helen Oyeyemi is on the list):

25 Women Poised to Lead the Culture in 2014

Very cool. Although I recognized a few names many were new to me. I'll be looking up some books and listening to music clips this afternoon if anyone needs me....

And Nenah Cherry? Holy late 80s throwback, Batman! Will be interested to hear the new stuff.

Regarding Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora ~

I agree with most of that review and I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  The one part I disagree with is that I think the jumping back and forth chronologically was a bit annoying, especially since it tended to happen during exciting parts.   I can say I really didn't expect the plot twists or development.  At one point I recall thinking "I have absolutely no idea how they are going to get out of this".  It is really refreshing when a book can do that.     

That does sound good and I'll add it to my someday list!  (Actually, I think my fantasy loving daughter might enjoy it too.) Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Camelfeet. 

Regards,

Kareni

The BaW thread is so fun! I enjoy reading it every week.

I looked at my 2013 books and this year's TBR list and I read about 55/45 male/female. I honestly have never even thought which I might enjoy more. I just usually choose a book if it looks interesting or challenging to me. I often don't even remember the author of a book, just the title. :leaving:

Last week I finished Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. One word to describe the book - Disturbing! I felt at times I was reading a book about North Korea instead of Scientology. Truly scary!

Anyway, I am on to better state of mind this week. Well, hopefully. :D I am reading The Geography of Bliss.

1.) Driving the Saudis: A Chauffeur's Tale of the World's Richest Princesses

2.) Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

3.) Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race in the World

4.) The Rosie Project

5.) The Goldfinch

6.) Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner

7.) Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief

I have loved the entire Flavia series (but #2, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, was my least favorite). To me, they're fluffy fun reading & I just adore Flavia.

:iagree:   I thought #2 was just creepy!  I need a shiver smiley lol. I enjoyed #4 a lot.  I was on pins and needles the whole book.

The third Flavia book was my least favorite of all. Totally loved the next in the series. Occasionally these books go down a rabbit trail that can be a bit cringe worthy for me but then they seem to magically right themselves and I end up loving the story.

Well last week I read Amos Fortune one night for fun. It was a quick read since it is a Youth book but I enjoyed it. This week I'm reading Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence. I'm only a few chapters into it so far but it is really a interesting read. I'm glad it has a glossary in the back with some of the Mardujara words because they are unfamiliar to me. I placed a hold on My Bondage My Freedom at my library and I plan to read that next. I'm also thinking about getting The Monuments Men from the Library when it is available. :)

Giraffe &/or Eliana (&/or anyone else), have you read The Time Regulation Institute by Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar? Sounds like an interesting (& essential?) Turkish read. (Unfortunately, my library system doesn't carry it. Drat!)

Tanpinar's countryman Orhan Pamuk has deemed him "the most remarkable author in modern Turkish literature" -- calling this particular novel, published in 1962, the year of Tanpinar's death, an "allegorical masterpiece."

Also, since I had been so book weary (?) in January (having a hard time finding my reading stride), I poked around various lists, requested various books & have been sifting, sifting, sifting.... A delightful (to me) list I found was a Flavorwire list of 10 Essential Surrealist Books for Everyone & I haven't read a thing on the list. Fortunately, my library has a few of the ones mentioned &, accordingly, I started Jesse Ball's The Way Through Doors today.

Shukriyya, I know we don't necessarily seem to have the same taste in literature, but something about this book makes me think it might appeal to you. (I need to get a bit further before I declare that for sure, though. :001_smile: ) In the link I gave for the title (the review from the LA Times), part of the review says:

Conventional novels require a bit of tidiness in their emotional arcs. Raskolnikov kneels at the crossroads; Scout Finch realizes that sometimes mere decency can be heroic. At the same time, forcing consciousness into neat little boxes is like squishing live fish through a garlic press. Here's where experimental fiction comes in: by finding ways to depict what it actually feels like to be alive, human and confused.

OT -- Shukriyya, does your moniker mean blessed in Hindi?

Also, Michele, you will be happy to know that my devious plans can commence shortly. (Gang Leader for a Day just came in for me at the library. :leaving: ) Shhhh. Don't let the rest of the BaW thread know. (It may take me a couple of weeks to get around to it, though....)

Ok, I'm going to swallow my pride, tiptoe in here and post my paltry list for the year so far - all audiobooks and one started in December. I've just been too tired, distracted and discouraged to do much reading lately. :(

I think there's a divide of people -- those who love the Flavia books & those who think 'meh' about it.

I didn't care for that one, either. Try the 4th one - it is set at Christmastime and there is nary a.. child murder....in sight. (semi-spoiler)

The third Flavia book was my least favorite of all. Totally loved the next in the series. Occasionally these books go down a rabbit trail that can be a bit cringe worthy for me but then they seem to magically right themselves and I end up loving the story.

Ok all you Flavia lovers--age appropriateness of these novels? As I mentioned upthread dc and I are going to read this separately-together. There's no indication that this is a YA book on the Amazon site and yet reviews indicate it could be. Okay for a pre-teen?

Ok all you Flavia lovers--age appropriateness of these novels? As I mentioned upthread dc and I are going to read this separately-together. There's no indication that this is a YA book on the Amazon site and yet reviews indicate it could be. Okay for a pre-teen?

Yes. My ds is 12 & loves, loves, loves these books. I think he started reading them last year when he was 11.

I don't think they're YA, but they can easily be read by a YA audience. My ds & I share the same sense of humor & I *knew* he would adore Flavia.

(Btw, the other awesome heroine I have to recommend for a YA audience is Tiffany Aching. She's the central character of four of Terry Pratchett's books. The Wee Free Men is the first book that centers around Tiffany. And, again, this is another book/series that both my ds & I love. These are fantasy books, though, so a totally different genre/style from the Flavia books.)

Yes. My ds is 12 & loves, loves, loves these books. I think he started reading them last year when he was 11.

I don't think they're YA, but they can easily be read by a YA audience. My ds & I share the same sense of humor & I *knew* he would adore Flavia.

(Btw, the other awesome heroine I have to recommend for a YA audience is Tiffany Aching. She's the central character of four of Terry Pratchett's books. The Wee Free Men is the first book that centers around Tiffany. And, again, this is another book/series that both my ds & I love. These are fantasy books, though, so a totally different genre/style from the Flavia books.)

So why aren't they YA?  Books like Feed are, certainly more edgy than Bradley's murder mysteries.

So why aren't they YA?  Books like Feed are, certainly more edgy than Bradley's murder mysteries.

I don't know.

I don't understand all the marketing intricacies of why things are labeled as YA, or adult, or (as I've seen recently) 'new adult' (i.e., someone who is 'aging' out of YA books but is not yet ready to make the leap to 'real' adult books...???).

I'm still confused over why The Book Thief was marketed as a YA book here in the US, while in the native country of the author (Australia), it was marketed as an adult book, not YA.

Maybe I'm too old to get it.

Giraffe &/or Eliana (&/or anyone else), have you read The Time Regulation Institute by Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar? Sounds like an interesting (& essential?) Turkish read. (Unfortunately, my library system doesn't carry it. Drat!)

Fortunately, my library has a few of the ones mentioned &, accordingly, I started Jesse Ball's The Way Through Doors today.

Shukriyya, I know we don't necessarily seem to have the same taste in literature, but something about this book makes me think it might appeal to you. (I need to get a bit further before I declare that for sure, though. :001_smile: ) In the link I gave for the title (the review from the LA Times), part of the review says:

OT -- Shukriyya, does your moniker mean blessed in Hindi?

Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar rolls off the tongue with such musicality. I've sung it aloud about 5 times since your post :lol:

Hmm, The Way Through Doors (love this title) looks wildly unlike anything I would read and yet...there is something intriguing about it. Definitely possible given the right direction of the wind and cloud formations. Maybe we should do a little swaparoo. I'll read this and you read something non-Stacia like.

'Shukriyya' is Arabic, a female derivation of the word 'shukr' whose meaning centers around the quality of gratitude.

Okay, good to know. My dc loves fantasy and very much enjoyed the ridiculousness that is TP's, The Color of Magic.

Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar rolls off the tongue with such musicality. I've sung it aloud about 5 times since your post :lol:

It is a rather lovely name, now that you point it out.

Hmm, The Way Through Doors (love this title) looks wildly unlike anything I would read and yet...there is something intriguing about it. Definitely possible given the right direction of the wind and cloud formations. Maybe we should do a little swaparoo. I'll read this and you read something non-Stacia like.

That's kind of a scary proposition. :svengo: (Which means I'd probably either be reading poetry or short-stories if you want something non-Stacia like. Lol.)

'Shukriyya' is Arabic, a female derivation of the word 'shukr' whose meaning centers around the quality of gratitude.

Ah. Thank you (no pun intended ;) ) for explaining. :) Truly lovely.

Okay, good to know. My dc loves fantasy and very much enjoyed the ridiculousness that is TP's, The Color of Magic.

:thumbup1: TP is the *best* kind of ridiculousness! (You -- or, really, your dc -- might also want to check out Walter Moers' The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear for a completely different, yet completely awesome, type of ridiculousness. Plus, it's still absolutely one of my favorite book covers of all time....)

Oh my, have I been enjoying the BBC Radio 4 Extra dramatization of The Woman in White!

Jane, thank you for this. I settled in this afternoon with my knitting for an all too brief listen of episode one. I do hope I get time to finish it and listen to the others. There's a time limit and with all the calls on my attention I'm not sure I'll pull off all the episodes and come in under the wire :crying:

Huh. I actually thought the Flavia series was YA. I have read through the first three so far. I really like the series, but I didn't love the storyline in the second one, I thought it was kind of creepy.

I don't understand all the marketing intricacies of why things are labeled as YA, or adult, or (as I've seen recently) 'new adult' (i.e., someone who is 'aging' out of YA books but is not yet ready to make the leap to 'real' adult books...???).

Here are a couple of articles that address the concept of 'New Adult' books.

What Is 'New Adult?' Romance Editors and Authors Tell All

New Adult: What is it, and What Should I Do with it?

Regards,

Kareni

I would not have had a problem with my dc's at 10 or 11. That being said someone somewhere made a comment about how they were inappropriate because the main character lies and is sneaky. No worse then countless other YA novels imo. The content is pretty clean--as in can't think of a single thing. Flavia is a motherless highly gifted little girl living in a home where few acknowledge her existence positively, when you remember that much of her bad habits are forgiven. Since I think you are considering them as a read aloud I think you will all enjoy them.

funny-cloud-art-gallery.jpg

Well, the above is what I see on your post...but to save you the trouble of getting the image to show up I'll say that the sky-wind dynamic would need to look precisely like this...

:smilielol5:

On another note, since we're talking of names...is it Stay-see-ah or Stay-sha? Or something else?

Hey, are there any Ken Follett fans out there? I haven't read him, but I am considering one of his series. I was thinking some kind of sweeping, epic, historical fiction before starting SWB's histories in April. If not him, is there anything comparable?

I have seen the Flavia books labeled both as YA  and adult.   I let my dd start to  read them when she was 13.  The reason why I waited so long was because I thought the 2nd one was creepy and I just wanted her to wait awhile.    The Flavia books that I did not like as much as the others  was Book 2 and 4.  I am happy though that I kept on with series, though, cause the 5th one was SO good.

2. One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters - I enjoyed the first Brother Cadfael mystery last year and really liked this one. Great characters, romance, surprise twists, and lovely writing.

3. A Few Quick Ones by P.G. Wodehouse - Ok, but not the best Wodehouse book I've listened to so far. Some of the stories seemed a bit dĂƒÂ©jĂƒÂ  vu.

I was going to join the Inferno read-along, but after some of Dh's comments (he's currently listening to it), I think I might get more out of it if I read/listen to The Odyssey and The Aeneid first (which I hope to do later this year). I have just started a 13th century read, but won't post more about it now in case I give up on it. :p

All this talk about Flavia is making want to try the books again.  I read the first one ... would I be missing too much if I skipped to the fourth one since everyone is giving that high marks?  Or even the third one?

Does the constant fighting with her sisters continue through the books?  The sibling rivalry got on my nerves in the first book.  Actually it's been a long time since I've read it but if asked what I remember from it I would say the bickering sisters.

AMC 10, amicae!

https://amc-reg.maa.org/amc_generalfiles/2014-HSAB-RegForm.pdf

Middle Girl rocked. Family celebrations ensued.

Yay!  

A perfect umbrella for reading on a rainy or sunny day?

(I own this umbrella. :laugh:  And I'm a huge Magritte fan.)

A side note to make this post more bibliophile-friendly.... Dinner at Magritte's is an awesome picture book for kids (& adults too). Especially fun for fans of surrealism, I think, but perhaps also fun for those new to the style....

Ah, the vagaries of the mind...I've taken a little detour into Magritte's artistic world view...I'd forgotten a lot of his work but some of it just stays with you...