Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW6

Robin M

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I am on to better state of mind this week. Well, hopefully. :D I am reading The Geography of Bliss.

A better state of mind until you get to Moldova anyway.... (It will make sense once you get there in the book. LOL.)

Fun, interesting book!

Also, since I had been so book weary (?) in January (having a hard time finding my reading stride), I poked around various lists, requested various books & have been sifting, sifting, sifting.... A delightful (to me) list I found was a Flavorwire list of 10 Essential Surrealist Books for Everyone & I haven't read a thing on the list. Fortunately, my library has a few of the ones mentioned &, accordingly, I started Jesse Ball's The Way Through Doors today.

Interesting and intriguing selection of books. I like some of the covers.  Seeing as William S. Burroughs book, The Soft Machine is on the list, did you know today marks the100th anniversary of his birthday?  Check out brainpickings   William S. Burroughs, Born 100 Years ago today, on Creativity

DD and I finished our read aloud this morning:

Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit - **** - DD and I both enjoyed this book.  I wouldn't recommend it to an adult but as an adventure read aloud set during the Civil War.  Superb.  DD kept saying "this is really getting exciting!".  Anyone going to claim recommending it to us?  I know it was someone on WTM.

I don't know.

I don't understand all the marketing intricacies of why things are labeled as YA, or adult, or (as I've seen recently) 'new adult' (i.e., someone who is 'aging' out of YA books but is not yet ready to make the leap to 'real' adult books...???).

I'm still confused over why The Book Thief was marketed as a YA book here in the US, while in the native country of the author (Australia), it was marketed as an adult book, not YA.

Maybe I'm too old to get it.

I'm not sure that they need a "new adult" phase.  I have had to put down some YA books for inappropriateness.  Unfortunately I think some of the YA novels are just adult novels in disguise.  

All this talk about Flavia is making want to try the books again.  I read the first one ... would I be missing too much if I skipped to the fourth one since everyone is giving that high marks?  Or even the third one?

Does the constant fighting with her sisters continue through the books?  The sibling rivalry got on my nerves in the first book.  Actually it's been a long time since I've read it but if asked what I remember from it I would say the bickering sisters.

Yeah, it does.  Actually, that is the one thing about the Flavia books that I don't like.  However, that said, there are more redeeming moments in the subsequent books.  In fact, after reading the 5th I was pleased to see some growth in the connection to her family, subtle, but I liked that it was there.   

It has been a while since I've read 1-3, but I think there are some characters introduced in those books that are in 4.  You wouldn't be completely lost, but there would be some holes.  

Fascinating point. And I agree.

Sometimes you have to wonder how the human race has manged to endure....

I read Germs, Genes, and Civilizations and I'm seriously wondering how humans still exist and endure.

P.S. Docking library privileges sounds like an awfully harsh punishment in my book!

I'd go insane. Take my TV. Take my computer. But don't take away books. I don't know how to survive without them.

I finished my very first Stephen King book, The Eyes of the Dragon. Do I win some sort of prize for finally reading a King book?

I finished Divergent today by Veronica Roth.  I'm still pondering how I felt about it.  For roughly the first 300 pages I kept reading hoping that the story would go somewhere and that I would begin to like the main character, Tris.  She would show some promise and then shatter it.  I found her totally selfish and immature. The author would give me a tease of where the plot was going and then abandon it.  I found myself wondering why I agreed to read this dystopian book.  The last 150 pages were kind of like a different book.  The plot appeared and the main character became a little more likable.  I thought I knew where the author was headed and then I was totally surprised.  I began the book with the intent to only read it, not the others in the series.  Dd19 was disappointed in the end of the third book and said I wouldn't like it.  Now I feel compelled to see where the series goes, so I will probably finish it at some point.  I think dystopian novels threaten my security.  I do not like thinking about "what if?"  I just want to plod along with my little life and not think about the fact that my world could go crazy like one of these novels.  I find them disturbing.  I have no idea what to rate this book.  At first I was thinking a 2 star book, but I liked the end.  But can the last 150 pages make up for the first 300?  I don't know.  Maybe a 3.5 star book.

*1 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs (Isarel)

*2 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans (USA)

*3 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

*4 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Michael Vey:  The Rise of the Elgin by Richard Paul Evans (USA/Peru)

*5 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Soulless by Gail Carriger (England, BaW red)

*6 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley (England)

*7 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (12th Century, England/Wales,BaW rec)

*8 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Michael Vey: Battle of the Ampere by Richard Paul Evans (Peru)

*9 - Divergent by Veronica Roth (USA)

Interesting and intriguing selection of books. I like some of the covers. Seeing as William S. Burroughs book, The Soft Machine is on the list, did you know today marks the100th anniversary of his birthday? Check out brainpickings William S. Burroughs, Born 100 Years ago today, on Creativity

Cool. No, I didn't know today is his 100th!

Yeah, it does. Actually, that is the one thing about the Flavia books that I don't like. However, that said, there are more redeeming moments in the subsequent books. In fact, after reading the 5th I was pleased to see some growth in the connection to her family, subtle, but I liked that it was there.

It has been a while since I've read 1-3, but I think there are some characters introduced in those books that are in 4. You wouldn't be completely lost, but there would be some holes.

I agree. Reading starting at #4 is do-able, but I think it's a better & richer experience if you read them in order.

Yes, there is still bickering amongst the sisters throughout the books.

I finished my very first Stephen King book, The Eyes of the Dragon. Do I win some sort of prize for finally reading a King book?

Yay! (Or is it -- Yay??)

Did you like it? I've never had the guts to read an SK horror book & haven't managed to make it through any others of his. So, yes, I think you deserve a prize!

I finished Divergent today by Veronica Roth.  I'm still pondering how I felt about it.  For roughly the first 300 pages I kept reading hoping that the story would go somewhere and that I would begin to like the main character, Tris.  She would show some promise and then shatter it.  I found her totally selfish and immature. The author would give me a tease of where the plot was going and then abandon it.  I found myself wondering why I agreed to read this dystopian book.  The last 150 pages were kind of like a different book.  The plot appeared and the main character became a little more likable.  I thought I knew where the author was headed and then I was totally surprised.  I began the book with the intent to only read it, not the others in the series.  Dd19 was disappointed in the end of the third book and said I wouldn't like it.  Now I feel compelled to see where the series goes, so I will probably finish it at some point.  I think dystopian novels threaten my security.  I do not like thinking about "what if?"  I just want to plod along with my little life and not think about the fact that my world could go crazy like one of these novels.  I find them disturbing.  I have no idea what to rate this book.  At first I was thinking a 2 star book, but I liked the end.  But can the last 150 pages make up for the first 300?  I don't know.  Maybe a 3.5 star book.

I detest dystopian novels for similar reasons.  They always make me feel a bit sad and keeps me up at night worried.  Maybe I'm just not tough enough stuff for those type books.  And now back to some cozy mysteries and British humor and Regency romances!

These are great ponderings. Whether you liked the book or not it seems to have given rise to some rich personal questions. And I'm impressed with the steadfastness and constancy inherent in reading 300 (!) pages of something you're not even sure you like in hopes that it will improve.

Hey, are there any Ken Follett fans out there? I haven't read him, but I am considering one of his series. I was thinking some kind of sweeping, epic, historical fiction before starting SWB's histories in April. If not him, is there anything comparable?

I can't recall if I've ever read any Ken Follett books; if I did it was twenty plus years ago.  That said, my college aged daughter enjoyed The Pillars of the Earth.

From Library Journal

A radical departure from Follett's novels of international suspense and intrigue, this chronicles the vicissitudes of a prior, his master builder, and their community as they struggle to build a cathedral and protect themselves during the tumultuous 12th century, when the empress Maud and Stephen are fighting for the crown of England after the death of Henry I. The plot is less tightly controlled than those in Follett's contemporary works, and despite the wealth of historical detail, especially concerning architecture and construction, much of the language as well as the psychology of the characters and their relationships remains firmly rooted in the 20th century. This will appeal more to lovers of exciting adventure stories than true devotees of historical fiction. Literary Guild dual main selection.  - Cynthia Johnson Whealler, Cary Memorial Lib., Lexington, Mass.

Regards,

Kareni

Hey, are there any Ken Follett fans out there? I haven't read him, but I am considering one of his series. I was thinking some kind of sweeping, epic, historical fiction before starting SWB's histories in April. If not him, is there anything comparable?

I can't recall if I've ever read any Ken Follett books; if I did it was twenty plus years ago.  That said, my college aged daughter enjoyed The Pillars of the Earth.

I think I'm in the definite minority by not liking The Pillars of the Earth. It was ok (writing so-so, story so-so), but frankly, the rape/bad guy scenes in there overshadowed the other parts of the book for me.

However, mostly (from people both here & irl), I've heard nothing but raves about The Pillars of the Earth. Many, many people highly recommend it. Maybe I was overly sensitive when I read it?

Can't think of another sweeping epic type book of similar content right now....

52 Books Blog - Dante's Inferno:  Happy February!   This year marks the 700th Anniversary of Dante Alighieri's Inferno, the first cantica of The Divine Comedy.     Inferno is considered one of the great classics in literature and is on Susan Wise Bauer list of Poetry in Well Educated Mind.  I've never read it, so figured now would be the perfect time.  And as long as we are reading Inferno, why not go to Italy. Plus will be continuing with my Centuries challenge and exploring the 13th Century this month.  More on Italy and centuries challenge next week.  You can find out more about Dante and read Inferno online here, here or  here.

Join me in reading Dante's Inferno. 

Btw, over on Goodreads, there is also a group doing a read-along of The Divine Comedy & The Decameron. I was looking at some of their posts re: which translations to use & saw a link back to the discussions over here on the WTM boards. :laugh:

In case you're interested in reading comments over there or participating in the group...

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/121080-divine-comedy-decameron

I last read both The Divine Comedy & The Decameron back in my college days. It has been a long time.

If I do read The Inferno, the copy I have on my shelf is the version translated by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I want to read his version of it because I had not realized he was the first American to translate The Divine Comedy until I read The Dante Club quite a few years ago. (FYI, for those of you who enjoy thrillers/historical fiction, you might like reading The Dante Club.)

I think I'm in the definite minority by not liking The Pillars of the Earth. It was ok (writing so-so, story so-so), but frankly, the rape/bad guy scenes in there overshadowed the other parts of the book for me.

However, mostly (from people both here & irl), I've heard nothing but raves about The Pillars of the Earth. Many, many people highly recommend it. Maybe I was overly sensitive when I read it?

DH read it last year and he didn't like it either.  He fest the bad guy/rape scenes were over the top and unbelievable.  I think he only gave it two stars which is low for him.  

In high school I read Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett and enjoyed it.  It wasn't an epic historical novel but instead a suspenseful WWII spy book.  

My first post in here this year, eek!

I've been keeping track of everything I read. Last year was definitely a non-fiction year. This year, I've been on a bit of a fantasy kick so far, so I've read a lot of books (so much faster to go through). I've liked all the books I've read so far, this year.

I'm currently working on four books: Sasja, The Robert Collier Letter Book, Simplicity Parenting, and Bitterblue.

My reads so far:

27 De Kameleon op jacht P. de Roos 02/03/14
26 Scientific Advertising Claude C. Hopkins 02/02/14
25 You are Your Child's First Teacher Rahima Baldwin Dancy 02/01/14
24 Fire Kristin Cashore 01/30/14
23 Palace of Stone Shannon Hale 01/30/14
22 The No-Cry Potty Training Solution Elizabeth Pantley 01/29/14
21 The No-Cry Discipline Solution Elizabeth Pantley 01/29/14
20 Aerie Mercedes Lackey 01/24/14
19 Sanctuary Mercedes Lackey 01/23/14
18 Alta Mercedes Lackey 01/23/14
17 Joust Mercedes Lackey 01/22/14
16 Redders met de Kameleon H. de Roos 01/18/14
15 Potty Training Boys, the Easy Way Caroline Fertleman, Simone Cave 01/17/14
14 Crown of Midnight Sarah Maas 01/17/14
13 1-2-3 Magic Thomas Phelan 01/17/14
12 Lioness Rampant Tamora Pierce 01/14/14
11 The Woman Who Rides like a Man Tamora Pierce 01/10/14
10 In the Hand of the Goddess Tamora Pierce 01/10/14
9 Screamfree Parenting Hal Runkel 01/09/14
8 Throne of Glass Sarah Maas 01/09/14
7 The Amber Spyglass Philip Pullman 01/08/14
6 The Subtle Knife Philip Pullman 01/07/14
5 The Golden Compass Philip Pullman 01/07/14
4 Princess Academy Shannon Hale 01/03/14
3 Graceling Kristin Cashore 01/02/14
2 Blackveil Kristen Britain 01/02/14
1 The High King's Tomb Kristen Britain 01/01/14

Simplicity Parenting

I think this book had some great tips/info, but I do wish he would have simplified his overly-wordy writing style (& the page layout) -- those things seemed to be the opposite of simplicity, imo. LOL.

My reads so far:

Dutch?

thumbs_up_book_cartoon_character_sticker

I think this book had some great tips/info, but I do wish he would have simplified his overly-wordy writing style (& the page layout) -- those things seemed to be the opposite of simplicity, imo. LOL.

Dutch?

Simplicity Parenting is good, but I agree that it is a little wordy. Getting some good stuff from the book, though, so I'll let it slide. ;)

Yes, Dutch. Felt like reading some of my old kids books, for kicks and giggles. :)

Simplicity Parenting is good, but I agree that it is a little wordy. Getting some good stuff from the book, though, so I'll let it slide. ;)

Yes, Dutch. Felt like reading some of my old kids books, for kicks and giggles. :)

LOL. I agree about Simplicity Parenting.

There are a couple of Dutch-speaking Belgians on the BaW thread. If I'm remembering correctly, your background is the Netherlands??? (Or I could be completely off-base.)

Old kids books are always fun!

LOL. I agree about Simplicity Parenting.

There are a couple of Dutch-speaking Belgians on the BaW thread. If I'm remembering correctly, your background is the Netherlands??? (Or I could be completely off-base.)

Old kids books are always fun!

That's right, born and raised. :)

My first post in here this year, eek!

I've been keeping track of everything I read. Last year was definitely a non-fiction year. This year, I've been on a bit of a fantasy kick so far, so I've read a lot of books (so much faster to go through). I've liked all the books I've read so far, this year.

I'm currently working on four books: Sasja, The Robert Collier Letter Book, Simplicity Parenting, and Bitterblue.

My reads so far:

26 Scientific Advertising Claude C. Hopkins 02/02/14
25 You are Your Child's First Teacher Rahima Baldwin Dancy 02/01/14
24 Fire Kristin Cashore 01/30/14
23 Palace of Stone Shannon Hale 01/30/14
22 The No-Cry Potty Training Solution Elizabeth Pantley 01/29/14
21 The No-Cry Discipline Solution Elizabeth Pantley 01/29/14
20 Aerie Mercedes Lackey 01/24/14
19 Sanctuary Mercedes Lackey 01/23/14
18 Alta Mercedes Lackey 01/23/14
17 Joust Mercedes Lackey 01/22/14
16 Redders met de Kameleon H. de Roos 01/18/14
15 Potty Training Boys, the Easy Way Caroline Fertleman, Simone Cave 01/17/14
14 Crown of Midnight Sarah Maas 01/17/14
13 1-2-3 Magic Thomas Phelan 01/17/14
12 Lioness Rampant Tamora Pierce 01/14/14
11 The Woman Who Rides like a Man Tamora Pierce 01/10/14
10 In the Hand of the Goddess Tamora Pierce 01/10/14
9 Screamfree Parenting Hal Runkel 01/09/14
8 Throne of Glass Sarah Maas 01/09/14
7 The Amber Spyglass Philip Pullman 01/08/14
6 The Subtle Knife Philip Pullman 01/07/14
5 The Golden Compass Philip Pullman 01/07/14
4 Princess Academy Shannon Hale 01/03/14
3 Graceling Kristin Cashore 01/02/14
2 Blackveil Kristen Britain 01/02/14
1 The High King's Tomb Kristen Britain 01/01/14

Number 25 is one of my all time favorite parenting books along with 'Heaven on Earth' by Sharifa Oppenheimer.

Simplicity Parenting...bit of an oxymoron that :lol:

A better state of mind until you get to Moldova anyway.... (It will make sense once you get there in the book. LOL.)

Fun, interesting book!

But they have really fresh fruit.

We read that book about three years ago in bookclub and I still remember that.

We read that book about three years ago in bookclub and I still remember that.

Re The Geography of Bliss--I read it a few years ago as well and I remember not particularly liking it in the end though I can't remember why :unsure:

Some time later the author was attending an event my husband was teaching at and he interviewed dh for another book he was working on, a peculiar combination of sufism, wicca and two other religions that seemed to have no correlation. My husband was amused? bemused? unenthused? by the premise and told him so. I don't know if the book ever saw the light of day though :lol:

ETA I wonder if this is it? I'll have to ask dh.

Re The Geography of Bliss--I read it a few years ago as well and I remember not particularly liking it in the end though I can't remember why :unsure:

I enjoyed the first half, but felt the author really lost steam & focus in the second half. (And, to me, the Moldova part put screeching brakes on the feel of the book overall.)

Of course, those are just my two (ornery) cents....

Still, parts of it were quite fun & interesting & he visited quite a few places I would love to see!

Btw, over on Goodreads, there is also a group doing a read-along of The Divine Comedy & The Decameron. I was looking at some of their posts re: which translations to use & saw a link back to the discussions over here on the WTM boards. :laugh:

In case you're interested in reading comments over there or participating in the group...

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/121080-divine-comedy-decameron

I last read both The Divine Comedy & The Decameron back in my college days. It has been a long time.

If I do read The Inferno, the copy I have on my shelf is the version translated by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I want to read his version of it because I had not realized he was the first American to translate The Divine Comedy until I read The Dante Club quite a few years ago. (FYI, for those of you who enjoy thrillers/historical fiction, you might like reading The Dante Club.)

Thanks for the link. Checked out the group and I feel like I'm in the kindergarten class and they are in graduate school. Way too intimidating for me. I'll muddle along without the pressure.

Phoenix -- I read the Pillars of the Earth a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Personally, while I disliked the violent character greatly I did some research and he was actually a real knight who did at least some of what his character does. While reading a couple of times I thought "Ok I get he is detestable" but I think it was probably necessary given the span of events that happens with few characters.

I currently have World Without End the sequel in the stack and can't wait to get started, the only thing keeping be back is my elibrary book queue is filled with things with long holds lists and they seem to all be good. It is a good dilemma to have but.......

Another potential author is Edward Rutherford who my dear father in law adored. He learned a great deal from his books and loved telling me his tidbits. A recently bought (yes bought -- normally a library girl) Sarum to read in honor of him. Hoping it might be good for dc's. He has several spanning histories. http://www.edwardrutherfurd.com/edward-rutherfurd-books.html

It seems like I've been reading at a snail's pace so far this year.  This week I finished Family Herbal by Rosemary Gladstar and Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare. 

I'm currently reading Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide by Rosemary Gladstar and War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.  I'm also still plodding along with The Origin of Species by Darwin. 

Completed So Far

1. The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

2. Winnie Mandela: Life of Struggle by Jim Haskins

3. Herbal Antibiotics by Stephen Harrod Buhner

4. When Did White Trash Become the New Normal? by Charlotte Hays

5. Family Herbal by Rosemary Gladstar

6. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

DH read it last year and he didn't like it either. He fest the bad guy/rape scenes were over the top and unbelievable. I think he only gave it two stars which is low for him.

In high school I read Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett and enjoyed it. It wasn't an epic historical novel but instead a suspenseful WWII spy book.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my dislike of the book.

I have a feeling I would much prefer Eye of the Needle to The Pillars of the Earth.

Goodbye, Harold Fry...

Beatles-1963-Beach-Hat-Wave.gif

I just finished this book and I actually liked it.   It reminded me a little of Remains of the Day (which I read last year and loved).   They are both kind of "mind journey" books.   In both books they are going on a real journey, but it's how they are growing inside that's important.  And sometimes I don't have the tolerance for books like that either and have to save them for later...or never :lol:.

I highly recommend Remains of the Day though.  It's not a book I remotely understood 20 years ago.   It's funny how age can change your book appreciation.   Which is why I never understand why we make high schoolers read classics.   There are so many books I did not "get" in high school that I "get" now.  (Ducking for onslaught of rotten tomatoes now :laugh:).

Did you like it? I've never had the guts to read an SK horror book & haven't managed to make it through any others of his. So, yes, I think you deserve a prize!

That's why i read this one. My sister recommended it. He wrote it for his daughter so it's not a horror book. I liked it okay. It entertained me.

Simplicity Parenting...bit of an oxymoron that :lol:

Very true. There is nothing less simple.

I'm also still plodding along with The Origin of Species by Darwin. 

This has been on my list for years. Years. I should probably buckle down and buy it.

I read Pillars of the Earth a looooong time ago. It was after my freshman year in college and I was in England. In my memory I was pretty much on a train the whole time I was reading it, although IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m sure thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not true. :) But all I remember about it was that there was a lot of sex which made me uncomfortable. Funny, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember it as rape but maybe thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s why I remember not liking those parts. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve stayed away from Ken Follet since then and every time I hear someone recommending Pillars I always am surprised. 

, the only thing keeping be back is my elibrary book queue is filled with things with long holds lists and they seem to all be good. It is a good dilemma to have but.......Another potential author is Edward Rutherford who my dear father in law adored. He learned a great deal from his books and loved telling me his tidbits. A recently bought (yes bought -- normally a library girl) Sarum to read in honor of him. Hoping it might be good for dc's. He has several spanning histories. http://www.edwardrutherfurd.com/edward-rutherfurd-books.html

I hear you on the ebook queue. The desired book seems to come available just when one is in the middle of another book by a newly discovered author whom one wants to read more of :D

Sarum was a book my father loved. It sat in our library when I was a child calling to me but never quite loudly enough. I'd forgotten about it till seeing your post.

I just finished this book and I actually liked it. It reminded me a little of Remains of the Day (which I read last year and loved). They are both kind of "mind journey" books. In both books they are going on a real journey, but it's how they are growing inside that's important. And sometimes I don't have the tolerance for books like that either and have to save them for later...or never :lol:.

I highly recommend Remains of the Day though. It's not a book I remotely understood 20 years ago. It's funny how age can change your book appreciation. Which is why I never understand why we make high schoolers read classics. There are so many books I did not "get" in high school that I "get" now. (Ducking for onslaught of rotten tomatoes now :laugh:).

Mind journey books are a genre I usually enjoy but with Harold I just couldn't get past the hovering presence of the author setting up all the "serendipitous" meetings between Harold and folks he met along the way from which he'd glean personal insight and self-knowledge. It seemed too contrived to me, I think because of the author's heavy hand. I felt she was trying just a little too hard. I'm in the minority though and I haven't deleted the book yet and there is still 1% of me that wants to try one more time with it :D

Thanks for Ishiguro reminder. That has been on my tbr list for years.

Mind journey books are a genre I usually enjoy but with Harold I just couldn't get past the hovering presence of the author setting up all the "serendipitous" meetings between Harold and folks he met along the way from which he'd glean personal insight and self-knowledge. It seemed too contrived to me, I think because of the author's heavy hand. I felt she was trying just a little too hard. I'm in the minority though and I haven't deleted the book yet and there is still 1% of me that wants to try one more time with it :D

Thanks for Ishiguro reminder. That has been on my tbr list for years.

I agree, it was contrived.   Sort of "Forrest Gump-y" :laugh:.   It's also interesting to me that if I had started that book on the wrong day/wrong mood, I would have given up on it too.  So much of my opinion of a book depends on where I am in life at the time I am reading it. 

I highly recommend Remains of the Day though.  It's not a book I remotely understood 20 years ago.   It's funny how age can change your book appreciation.   Which is why I never understand why we make high schoolers read classics.   There are so many books I did not "get" in high school that I "get" now.  (Ducking for onslaught of rotten tomatoes now :laugh:).

I think it's helpful to have a few shared classics for teens, it's good for discipline and learning how to give opinions (not liking something can make for great discussion), but in general I really agree with this.

This is also why I'll re-read books. It took me 20 years to like Moby Dick. I occasionally wonder if I'll suddenly like Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, or The Red Badge of Courage in another few decades. 

I agree, it was contrived.   Sort of "Forrest Gump-y" :laugh:.   It's also interesting to me that if I had started that book on the wrong day/wrong mood, I would have given up on it too.  So much of my opinion of a book depends on where I am in life at the time I am reading it. 

Yes, this has been my experience too hence my reference upthread to just the right wind direction and cloud formations needed in order to start and continue with certain books :lol:

I think it's helpful to have a few shared classics for teens, it's good for discipline and learning how to give opinions (not liking something can make for great discussion), but in general I really agree with this.

This is also why I'll re-read books. It took me 20 years to like Moby Dick. I occasionally wonder if I'll suddenly like Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, or The Red Badge of Courage in another few decades. 

I have some trepidation about rereading certain books I read in college or highschool that I loved at the time. Villette, Mme Bovary, David Copperfield, Gaskell's North and South etc. Because they're classics one would think that they'd be enjoyable the second time round but cloud formations and all that...

Has anyone here read this? I'd love to hear some reviews.

Also wondering how it stacks up against A.J. Jacobs' The Year of Living Biblically (as far as tone, humor, insight, etc...)???

I just received it.  I mean to start it as soon as I'm done with Goldfinch; will report back.

If you enjoyed Jacobs and are looking for tone, humor, insight and... drumroll.... the dreaded f-word...

!!@#$%((*!!!

... feminism,  :lol: , I was pleasantly surprised with Rachel Held Evans' A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master".

PS: OK, I think I am ready now for my Advanced Posting Tutorial, so I can put up my gif of a man in a tophat beating a well-dead horse...

I just finished this book and I actually liked it.   It reminded me a little of Remains of the Day (which I read last year and loved).   They are both kind of "mind journey" books.   In both books they are going on a real journey, but it's how they are growing inside that's important.  And sometimes I don't have the tolerance for books like that either and have to save them for later...or never :lol:.

Maybe we make them read great books when they're young so when they go back to them once they've grown a frontal lobe they can appreciate the difference!

Seriously, though, the bolded has been so, so true for me.  (Not specifically with Moby Dick, to which I've never dared to return!)  But the process of re-reading certain books brings me to such sharp relief how much I have changed.