Menu

Used piano buying

DawnM

I started a thread a week or so ago about buying an electric piano.  After quite a bit of research, I am starting to consider an acoustic piano instead.

I am overwhelmed.  

If you did not get a piano from a relative or close friend, where did you get it?  

Has anyone bought from CL?

I have put out posts in my local groups saying I am looking, but so far I have only been offered one free piano in bad condition.  I really want something in decent/nice condition.

No idea what things are really worth and what is a good deal.  I don't want to spend more than $500.

Dawn

Before you buy a used piano, have someone knowledgable inspect it. It may need so much work that it won't be worth anything.

We have two pianos, both on loan from our church (we are in the Rectory). I thought the first was just fine, but my ear isn't good enough to hear what's wrong with it--the felting needs to be redone, and the action of the keys is off, too. It's basically useless. It would cost far more than the instrument is worth to fix it.

The second was simply too big for the choir room, now that we have more people joining. It's a baby grand, and honestly, I can't tell a huge difference. It's apparently quite important for the development of one's pitch and musicality (or whatever that's called) to play a piano that stays reasonably in tune and has the right amount of give in the keys.

To a non-musician like me, it seems not to matter, but to my  musician friends and family, it's "everything."

You can ask a tuner or your church choir master (for example), or a musician you know to go with you.

We bought from a local university rotating out their studio instruments.

$500 is going to get you junk. Our upright was 4 grand, and a deal.

Still, could CL bea source? I suppose so, just as eBay. Prob best to already have a brand and model(s) picked out from visiting a store and sitting at them, then watch for one coming up used from whatever source.

I got a really nice piano on CL about 6 months ago. The freebie we had been using had a cracked pinblock and wouldn't stay tuned. I would really recommend doing some research. I read The Piano Book by Larry Fine (popular book so library very likely to have it):

http://www.amazon.com/The-Piano-Book-Buying-Owning/dp/1929145012/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391263858&sr=8-1&keywords=the+piano+book+larry+fine

From this, I learned which brands hold their value, which years are best, etc. It is a very complicated business. Not all grands and baby grands are better than all uprights. The book also has a very helpful classification of brands by rank in quality. I chose several brands (ie Yamaha upright) and then searched CL for these brands. Since I am in a large metro area, there was no shortage of listings and within a month or 2 I found a very nice Yamaha upright that was about 10 years old being sold by someone who was moving (=motivated to sell). I did hire a mover who also tunes pianos and he looked at it for me and judged it sound and worth at least as much as I was paying. I've been very happy with it and got what I consider to be a good deal on an instrument that will hold its value reasonably well. I have 2 moderately advanced players so it was worth it to us to spend more. But you have to look at your situation, finances, need, and decide what you need and how much you can spend.

Yes, I have been researching.....I had no idea how overwhelming it would be.  I did see that book on Amazon.  I also joined PianoWorld.com forums and have been reading and reading.

I am completely lost.

$4K for a used piano is necessary?   Then we will stick with our $300 keyboard.  They are enjoying playing and would like a real piano.  I don't have $4K to buy a piano right now.  

We bought ours from an old library that was being demolished and the new library was going to be upscaled..  The old library used to have a piano in its basement where young children would have a singalong (this was in the 1960's).  The fun part was that this was the library in my husband's childhood neighborhood, and he used to go to those singalongs, and now we have that piano!  It's definitely not anything amazing, but it was a fine starting piano.  It suited our needs and all of our children learned to play on it.  If any of our children had gone on to really become fine pianists, we probably would have upgraded, but they never did so we never did. 

We got ours for $300, but this was about 18 years ago.

This is where we are too.

The kids play, but nothing concert worthy.  They just want to learn to play for their own knowledge.

Dawn

We bought ours from an old library that was being demolished and the new library was going to be upscaled..  The old library used to have a piano in its basement where young children would have a singalong (this was in the 1960's).  The fun part was that this was the library in my husband's childhood neighborhood, and he used to go to those singalongs, and now we have that piano!  It's definitely not anything amazing, but it was a fine starting piano.  It suited our needs and all of our children learned to play on it.  If any of our children had gone on to really become fine pianists, we probably would have upgraded, but they never did so we never did. 

This is where we are too.

The kids play, but nothing concert worthy.  They just want to learn to play for their own knowledge.

Dawn

Just edited mine above to add the price we paid.  :)  I really don't think you need to worry about getting a great quality piano for your first one, before you even know if your kids are interested. 

I was most interested in sound.  I did have a pretty limited budget. keep in mind, you will probably also have to pay someone to move it - and then to tune it. (which it really should be after being moved.)  many piano's are sold very inexpensively/given away because they aren't worth paying to move. (one for sale house came with a piano).  

keyboards have come along way since I purchased my piano, and I'd get a quality keyboard now.  (ultimately - they are cheaper than a decent/nice used piano. they don't have to be tuned on a regular basis either. (and you can use headphones to not disturb anyone else.)  my dd and her pianist friend have played upper end USED grands (re: more than $4K) at the piano store that sounded awful. so there are no guarantees.)

we played the pianos we looked at - and passed over a very nice exterior condition console because it sounded like crap. we went with a cheap and beat upright that had a nice sound board. we've had it tuned, though not as often as needed.  personally - I hate the sound of consoles, but I grew up with an upright.  I'm a beginner, but have played on several and I can give an opinion on the abilities and feel of the piano (and some were just, yech. one of those was NEWish.).  that's what it boils down to.  you have to play them before you can decide on one, and condition of case is irrelevant to the condition/performance of the soundboard. or the hammers, etc.

My dd is the one who plays the most, and she's not taking our accoustic with her. (she's got space.)  she plans on buying an electronic piano.

$4K for a used piano is necessary? Then we will stick with our $300 keyboard. They are enjoying playing and would like a real piano. I don't have $4K to buy a piano right now.

Necessary? No way. You get music into your cherubs' lives any way that works and know that it's a wonderful thing. Just tossed out our example.

I do still think it will minimize the head spin to zero in on a brand/model to aid in your hunt. For that, get to a music store.

The music stores seem to have an agenda when trying to sell me a piano.  Each one seems to have their own favorites and push those.  My guess is those brands yield them the highest profit margin, but I am cynical that way.

Necessary? No way. You get music into your cherubs' lives any way that works and know that it's a wonderful thing. Just tossed out our example.

I do still think it will minimize the head spin to zero in on a brand/model to aid in your hunt. For that, get to a music store.

We bought our Baldwin about 4 years ago used from a music store for $800 and it has been a wonderful piano.  Before purchasing, I learned everything I could about pianos like you are.  We looked at many and walked away.  I decided I felt more comfortable with a reputable source and some sort of warranty.  The Baldwin had the best sound and feel of any we had looked at in our range.  Even though the music store had already inspected and tuned it, I still looked at everything I could on the inside, the soundboard, etc.  I negotiated the price as well.  The piano has great sound and holds its tune amazingly well.  My oldest is a very talented pianist and is now wanting a digital for composition, but I would have a hard time ever parting with our Baldwin.

The music stores seem to have an agenda when trying to sell me a piano. Each one seems to have their own favorites and push those. My guess is those brands yield them the highest profit margin, but I am cynical that way.

Yeah, I can see that. Maybe a non-chain music store, non mall-setting. Or some old guy piano dealer with a little shop. How to find those....ask a teacher. DW gives out recs for music stores she uses for repairs, and have a known reputation, etc.

Call the main office of your local school, or email. Worth a shot.

Did that price include delivery and tuning in your home?

We bought our Baldwin about 4 years ago used from a music store for $800 and it has been a wonderful piano.  Before purchasing, I learned everything I could about pianos like you are.  We looked at many and walked away.  I decided I felt more comfortable with a reputable source and some sort of warranty.  The Baldwin had the best sound and feel of any we had looked at in our range.  Even though the music store had already inspected and tuned it, I still looked at everything I could on the inside, the soundboard, etc.  I negotiated the price as well.  The piano has great sound and holds its tune amazingly well.  My oldest is a very talented pianist and is now wanting a digital for composition, but I would have a hard time ever parting with our Baldwin.

I've started this journey as well and am considering a digital piano because of the cost of moving and maintaining an upright.

From what I've read you should be careful of used Yamaha's and Kawais. There's a practice of importing them from Japan and reselling them here but often the pianos are very well used and come out of a much more humid climate and both can cause issues and cost money. There's advice online on how took avoid them.

Some used stores will back their pianos with a warranty. I don't think you need to spend 4K to get a decent starter acoustic. If you were going to go the CL route, I would have a piano inspected before I brought it home. Many free/cheap pianos on CL are junk and can't be tuned or repaired well.

I have mine for sale right now............ but I'm to scared to list it on CL as people do have to come to the house to look at it. I got an informal appraisal and was told to list it at about 40% of what we paid for it new. It's in good condition, just some minor surface blemishes but I don't think you live any where near me.

I don't think I do either.  Darn.

Dawn

I have mine for sale right now............ but I'm to scared to list it on CL as people do have to come to the house to look at it. I got an informal appraisal and was told to list it at about 40% of what we paid for it new. It's in good condition, just some minor surface blemishes but I don't think you live any where near me.

We bought ours used on CL 7 years ago and we love it! I think it possible to find a quality, used piano, you just have to know what you are looking for and it sounds like you are doing your research. We paid $300 for an Ivers and Pond upright grand from an older couple that was down-sizing. No one here is going to be a concert pianist, but we love the "concerts" in our living room!

Just a note:  if you buy one used, be observant of the house you purchase it from.  Someone I know, whose house I have been in, has a cockroach problem.  She has a piano and has offered it to us for free... but I have seen roaches crawl over and out of it.  No telling what is lurking in those nooks and crannies...  :scared:

(I'm sure you've thought of this, just adding it of things to look for when buying a used piano.)

OH MY WORD!

I just watched a youtube warning of rodents, particularly if it has been kept in a storage unit or garage for any length of time.  They said to open it up and look for evidence of rodents as they chew the felt padding and can ruin the internal workings of the piano.

But cockroaches?  UGH.

Dawn

Just a note:  if you buy one used, be observant of the house you purchase it from.  Someone I know, whose house I have been in, has a cockroach problem.  She has a piano and has offered it to us for free... but I have seen roaches crawl over and out of it.  No telling what is lurking in those nooks and crannies...  :scared:

(I'm sure you've thought of this, just adding it of things to look for when buying a used piano.)

We are likely to get a used one from family. Some friends of ours bought a used piano from a workplace message board (the husband works for a really large company). The piano was $50 if I remember  right (at any rate, in the shockingly low category), and the keys were in rough shape. It held tune really well, and they just wanted something to try. I would tell anyone and everyone you know that you are looking for a piano. You never know who might have one or know someone who does.