Menu

Is this common as girls move through puberty?

ILiveInFlipFlops

My oldest DD (11.5) has experienced rounds of vomiting/upset stomach on a regular basis for years. In the last year or so, it has evolved from a higher percentage of vomiting into a higher percentage of upset stomach, stomach cramps, etc., with her feeling like she wants to vomit, though she rarely does now. I've tracked the last 4-5 months, and it's now happening on a monthly basis (started out sporadic with no recognizable pattern, then was every few months, then every 6-8 weeks, now monthly). Several people that I've talked to mentioned that their DD experienced this in the year or so before their cycle started.

Is this common? I've never heard of this before, and I don't recall experiencing anything like it before my periods started. I was only just-turned-12 (thank you so much, happy birthday to me :glare: ) when they did, though, and my parents weren't nearly as attuned to me as I am to my kids. I wasn't as attuned to myself!

If your daughter(s) experienced this, how long did it go on before their cycles actually started?

I had 2-3 days of nausea and vomiting with each menstrual period (at the beginning) from the time I started my period (age 11) until I had my first child at almost 23.  I also had long, heavy periods that were accompanied with serious cramps.  All of this went away after I had my first son.  I have no idea why, but I do know that a friend with similar symptoms was advised by her doctor that it often did get better after childbirth.  But that not being a reason to have a child, she opted for surgery when it couldn't be controlled by drugs. 

Migraines without headache? It's not uncommon for girls to have hormone related migraines, and some migraines involve the stomach only (esp. in kids). If it is a migraine, she needs extra hydration (I sometimes tolerate a sweetened drink better than water if I am nauseated), and not drinking enough can also trigger one. If it is a migraine, she might be sensitive to noise, light, or motion (doesn't have to be all three). She might also experience warning signs, such as a peculiar smell, blurred vision, or aura in her vision just prior to the headache. She might respond well to ibuprofen or caffeine. It's best to catch it at the start of an episode (if she gets warning signs, that is when she should take meds)--that is when ibuprofen is most likely to be effective. I would ask a doctor about dosing. Normal dose for an adult is 200-400 mg per six hours, but for migraines, many adults can take 800 mg. every 8 hours. I don't know if peds get a modified dose like that or not. A pediatrician could help with dosing.

I find that most of my migraines have gone away now that I am gluten free, but I do still experience them from time to time. One type that I experience is hereditary, but it's also the one I get least frequently.

I would mention this to the pediatrician just to rule out something serious (very unlikely).

I don't remember anything prior to menstruating, but I did get seriously ill with each period after I started. Horrific cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, and nasty headaches, with heavy, heavy flow. It was horrific, and like a PP mentioned, was cured by pregnancy.

I hope you can figure something out and find a "cure" quicker for your DD, if menstruation is the cause.

Migraines without headache? It's not uncommon for girls to have hormone related migraines, and some migraines involve the stomach only (esp. in kids). If it is a migraine, she needs extra hydration (I sometimes tolerate a sweetened drink better than water if I am nauseated), and not drinking enough can also trigger one. If it is a migraine, she might be sensitive to noise, light, or motion (doesn't have to be all three). She might also experience warning signs, such as a peculiar smell, blurred vision, or aura in her vision just prior to the headache. She might respond well to ibuprofen or caffeine. It's best to catch it at the start of an episode (if she gets warning signs, that is when she should take meds)--that is when ibuprofen is most likely to be effective. I would ask a doctor about dosing. Normal dose for an adult is 200-400 mg per six hours, but for migraines, many adults can take 800 mg. every 8 hours. I don't know if peds get a modified dose like that or not. A pediatrician could help with dosing.

I find that most of my migraines have gone away now that I am gluten free, but I do still experience them from time to time. One type that I experience is hereditary, but it's also the one I get least frequently.

I would mention this to the pediatrician just to rule out something serious (very unlikely).

My DD is very prone abdominal migraines.  I usually give her some ibuprofen and she feels better in a little while.

She has no other symptoms beside whatever stomach thing is happening--no auras, headache, blurriness, etc. So how would I determine whether it's an abdominal migraine versus just a regular upset stomach? What makes it an abdominal migraine? 

I don't have an answer for you, but I feel so sorry for your dd. It's awful to have an upset stomach, and I hope it's only a temporary thing for her. :grouphug:

Thanks, I appreciate that. I will say that I am very grateful that it's moving AWAY from puking. She was emetophobic for years, so waking up at 6 a.m. (and it was always around 6 a.m., isn't that weird?) vomiting on a semi-regular basis was very hard on her. She'd cry and panic through the whole thing. I guess the silver lining is that at least it cured her of the fear! Now it's just "normal" for her *sigh*

At that hour I would be testing her blood sugar level.  I would check it right before bed and then when she is either up puking or nauseous.  I get queasy if my blood sugar tanks overnight or if I wait too long to eat breakfast.  Try getting her a higher protein snack before bedtime.  As for my DD, if she is nauseous first thing in the morning I blame the blood sugar thing (my mom is the same way) and make her eat something.  If she suddenly starts feeling queasy in the middle of the day, I blame the abdominal migraines and give the meds.  If I don't get her something for it, she will usually progress to a full blown headache now, but that wasn't always the case.

At that hour I would be testing her blood sugar level.  I would check it right before bed and then when she is either up puking or nauseous.  I get queasy if my blood sugar tanks overnight or if I wait too long to eat breakfast.  Try getting her a higher protein snack before bedtime.  As for my DD, if she is nauseous first thing in the morning I blame the blood sugar thing (my mom is the same way) and make her eat something.  If she suddenly starts feeling queasy in the middle of the day, I blame the abdominal migraines and give the meds.  If I don't get her something for it, she will usually progress to a full blown headache now, but that wasn't always the case.

Well, thankfully that seems to be done. It's been at least 6-7 months since that happened. She's only thrown up once since then, and it was in conjunction with the stomach cramps, which now (since the October round at least) happen in the late afternoon and evening and start with "vurps." That's our first sign and she knows to plan accordingly.

I am gluten-sensitive, and my reactions are gastrointestinal, so I've started talking to her about cutting back on gluten. She's really resistant to the idea, but I think she'll change her mind if she things it will help her. Interestingly, my periods are much, much easier if I'm off gluten (and most carbs, really), so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a tie-in here too. Based on my tracking, her episodes are happening within 3-5 days of MY period starting too. We're such complicated creatures! The next time it happens, I'll try some Advil at the first signs and see if it helps her. 

It's not uncommon for girls to have hormone related migraines, and some migraines involve the stomach only (esp. in kids). If it is a migraine, she needs extra hydration (I sometimes tolerate a sweetened drink better than water if I am nauseated), and not drinking enough can also trigger one.

This was the case for oldest dd. It started when she was around 14 and and her symptoms and occurrences seemed to increase with age. Staying hydrated and well rested are key for her. Caffeine and ibuprofen does help. She was recently given a prescription for imitrex to help manage her migraines. I'm still hoping that she will eventually outgrow this, but she is now 18 so maybe not. :( Praying the migraines are few and she can manage this well when she starts college in the fall.

Finding the triggers as well as treating and staying ahead of the symptoms is very important. Praying your dd outgrows it. Best wishes to you!

Since you say say its been happening for years, it doesn't seem related to puberty. If she has seasonal allergies (or if you have mold), drainage down the back of the throat can cause recurring nausea and vomiting. That may be the explanation as to why it's always 6am. During the night, she's sleeping too soundly, but as it gets closer to morning, the upset stomach from the drainage during the night rouses her violently.

She has no other symptoms beside whatever stomach thing is happening--no auras, headache, blurriness, etc. So how would I determine whether it's an abdominal migraine versus just a regular upset stomach? What makes it an abdominal migraine? 

Well, others have a point about blood sugar. Barring that, I would just give her ibuprofen, something to drink, etc. and see if she feels better with that. If she does, it might be a migraine. I don't have a particularly good answer, but if doing nothing doesn't help, and meds do, you might have an answer. If I do get an abdominal migraine, it's usually extremely sudden and severe nausea. It's woken me out of a sound sleep before. I am not a puker--it would probably help if I could puke. One time I did have dry heaves from the terrible nausea, and it helped a lot. I know some people who get abdominal migraines feel better if they vomit (one lady makes herself vomit to feel better--I can't do that). I don't know if those folks take ibuprofen after that or not. I will still get the headache with it, but it's much delayed.

My dd had a similar problem - tummy aches, cramps - turned out she needed her gall bladder out!   It was malformed and full of stones!    Kids can have gall bladder issues, too - doctors tend not to think of it, though.

She was also lactose-intolerant, so in hindsight her gall bladder symptoms were dismissed for a long time as due to that. :-(

Her tummy issues have been resolved since that pesky gall bladder was removed in about 10th grade.

Ask for an ultrasound to take a look at her gall bladder - if it is that, don't make her wait years for treatment like we did :-(

I had miserable symptoms like that for about 8-9 years with every period. If that IS what it turns out to be, I encourage you to consider birth control pills (or something similar) when her period starts. It made a world of difference for me, in terms of controlling vomiting and nausea.  I really wish I'd started in early high school.  By the time I was in my 20s, those symptoms were no longer an issue, so I wasn't needing BCP my entire life.  Just through puberty and teen years.

I'm watching this thread as my daughter has recently started having problems with vomiting, too.  Right now, it doesn't seem to have any pattern, but I think it might be in part a sensitive stomach to being overly tired.  It happened last year when she went away to camp, and it happened last night when she was away on a youth retreat, and it happened a couple of weeks ago when she didn't sleep very well one night and then went out to dinner with the youth group.  Hmmm.... maybe she's allergic to the youth group.

I know this may not help you, as your daughter has not gotten her period yet.  But, it is something to think about for the future.

My daughter also was a bit like yours before she had her period.  After she got her period, it was awful.  The first day of it, she was pretty much incapacitated, vomiting, cramps, really unable to do anything.  This always got better on the second day, so she was functional, (not great) and it got better as her period went on.

Missing a whole day every month is really hard on a teen.  We had to do something about it.  My ped. recommended she take two Motrin( this is close to prescription strength) immediately after she got her period.  Ideally, within the first 15 minutes.  This helped some, but not that much.  What really helped her was charting her cycles, reading the book Cycle Savvy (which may not be appropriate for an 11 year old, as there is a section on intercourse).  But, the book talks about basal temp, charting your period, and also paying attention to your mucous.  I know this was not for the faint of heart for a teen.  LOL  I got her a basal thermometer, and she in no way uses it perfectly.  But, she has been able to predict when her period comes, and has really changed everything.  Now, she can take one Motrin the night before she is going to get her period, and then more when it comes.  It makes all the difference.  She doesn't have to be scared that her period will come on a day that she has something important and has made our life happier.

Now, I realize that this may not help you now.  But, if you have problems in the future, please keep this in mind.

I actually looked into this a last month...one of the hormones that is released about the time of a woman's period can cause digestive issues...it started with a p...it can cause the intestines to get a bit slippier and I think it said something about effecting the stomach...I don't actually remember a lot because I was trying to figure out a specific issue related to my period but I would look that up because there does seem to be a hormone related digestive issues.

This happened to me as a teen. 

I've always had a queasy stomach. Car sick, smells, etc. Two years before I started my period (@11) I started experiencing 1-2 days of abdominal pain, usually with vomiting 4-6 hours later. My mom would wake up in the morning and I would be sleeping on my stomach in the hall in front of the bathroom. The year before I started my period This would happen every month, like clockwork. My mother eventually figured it out by charting it out on the calender. She talked to my grandmothers and it turns out my paternal grandmother experienced something similar as a girl. 

When I started my period it tapered off a bit. It did continue for awhile. I was not very regular at first. As the year went on it became rarer and rarer until the months I skipped were normal. 

I still vomit easily, but I haven't experienced menstrual-related vomiting since my mid-teens.