Menu

in hindsight, should not have put community college classes on high school transcript

Jeannie in NJ

What's strange is that even if the school doesn't want to accept the dual credit classes as college credit, they should not discount them for high school classes, KWIM?  

They should not be unfamiliar with the concept.  It's not right that they won't accept them as a part of her high school transcript.  But I totally get about not wanting to rock the boat.  If she gets in, and has free tuition, then it's not a hill to even bother to climb. 

This.  Check with all the colleges where your student is applying.  I remember when dd's LAC came to our hometown, they said you can't "double dip" - you can choose where you want to use them, either high school or college, but not both.

I've known of several situations where the student had two different transcripts based on what each college wanted.

Exactly!  We had multiple scenarios with the schools dd applied to, so I did versions of her transcript.

Hugs for Jeannie and her dd.  This is a stressful enough journey w/o such glitches.  Wishing you both all the best!

The one thing no one has mentioned in this thread is that some colleges offer certain perks and scholarships ONLY to freshmen (not to kids with more credit hours who then become "transfer students"), so that is something that you need to know on a school by school basis as well.  (It took a "college information" spreadsheet for us to compare all the details and to decide how to "package" dd's experience for the colleges she applied to.  

The school she finally chose accepted her DE credits, but not her GPA, and by doing so, she has been able to complete two majors and a separate minor in 4 years.  As a "freshman" she was enrolling in sophomore classes for one of the majors, but that generated it's own set of challenges trying to get into those soph-level classes after everyone else (with more credit hours) had already enrolled.  C'est le vie.

Some schools and it does mainly seem to be expensive private schools will not accept transfer credits. So definitely do your research!

My dd16 is graduating from high school in May. She will also be receiving her Associates Degree.

My dd was seriously considering a certain school (which said it accepted transfer credits). We went for a meeting with admissions and were told that any college credits received while a student was still in high school were deemed "not at the level" of their equivalent classes. So they would not accept any of her 64 credits and she would have to start all over! I guess they really want four years of $$$$$.

Dd has decided on a state school's honors college. They will take all of her credits, offered her generous merit aid, and it is much closer to home!

Why WOULD you list them? If they're not needed for graduation, then you could simply view them as remedial instruction or for self-education. I've considered taking classes at our local university because they're interesting to me, but if/when I apply to grad school, if they're not pertinent to the degree I'm looking for, I'm not going to include them on a transcript. 

I was under the impression that college applications always told you to list all classes previously taken at any college. I didn't think it was optional, and it seems deceptive to me to not list them if told to do so.

ETA: I understand that it is the college's prerogative to take those dual enrollment credits as transfer or not. I just don't see that it is our option to not list them on a transcript.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I've been researching the two universities our oldest is likely to want to attend, and we've bumped into strange policies as well. In one instance, where a state flagship university accepts a lot of community college students as transfers, each department has different policies as to what classes they will accept as credit. Some of those classes are not intuitive. ;)

Also, thank you to the pp who mentioned dual enrollment cc classes knocking students out of consideration for scholarship money. We've bumped into that with school #2.

I'm grateful to all of you who are going before and sharing what you've learned!

Why WOULD you list them? If they're not needed for graduation, then you could simply view them as remedial instruction or for self-education. I've considered taking classes at our local university because they're interesting to me, but if/when I apply to grad school, if they're not pertinent to the degree I'm looking for, I'm not going to include them on a transcript. 

You actually won't have a choice. If you took any classes for credit (whether or not you passed them), the university will want to see the grades. It doesn't matter if they are pertinent to the degree you're attempting. Universities require full disclosure. They will want the transcript from the institution where you took the classes. Failure to disclose can lead to failure to admit or expulsion if discovered after the fact. 

Our state university system considers students who take college courses while in high school to be freshman for admission purposes. There is an agreement in place between the university and the community colleges that states what community college courses will transfer to the university, as long as the minimum grade is attained. 

I'm wondering what other people's experiences with this might be. How many colleges do not recognize dual enrollment? That could be an issue for kids going through any school track.

I listed all of dd's dual enrolled classes on her transcript.  I also had the CC send a transcript over to the colleges she applied.  I can only answer for NCSU where she ended up attending.  They accepted all of her CC credits.  DD was thrilled that she finished all her math and science credits at the CC and doesn't have to take any at NCSU.  She is officially a sophomore after one semester there.

Of course, North Carolina went through a thing a couple years back where they made it so all CC credits transfer to a public university in state.  To hear the people at CC tell it, it was painful to make sure they were covering everything the colleges wanted covered.  You do have to be careful though and pay attention.  It takes 2 English classes at the CC level to get count as the entry level university English class.  If you only take one class, the credits transfer but the class doesn't count as anything toward your required classes.  The rst of dd's classes were one for one.

You actually won't have a choice. If you took any classes for credit (whether or not you passed them), the university will want to see the grades. It doesn't matter if they are pertinent to the degree you're attempting. Universities require full disclosure. They will want the transcript from the institution where you took the classes. Failure to disclose can lead to failure to admit or expulsion if discovered after the fact. 

This varies from school to school as well.  None of the LACs that dd applied to (7) asked to see her college transcripts.  The one state university did, and the other university already had her as a student of record.  :-)   The LAC she went to *did* require an official transcript once they were evaluating which of her DE credits to accept for college credits, but that was after she was accepted, and they were working on what classes she should take.

I listed all of dd's dual enrolled classes on her transcript.  I also had the CC send a transcript over to the colleges she applied.  I can only answer for NCSU where she ended up attending.  They accepted all of her CC credits.  DD was thrilled that she finished all her math and science credits at the CC and doesn't have to take any at NCSU.  She is officially a sophomore after one semester there.

Of course, North Carolina went through a thing a couple years back where they made it so all CC credits transfer to a public university in state.  To hear the people at CC tell it, it was painful to make sure they were covering everything the colleges wanted covered.  You do have to be careful though and pay attention.  It takes 2 English classes at the CC level to get count as the entry level university English class.  If you only take one class, the credits transfer but the class doesn't count as anything toward your required classes.  The rst of dd's classes were one for one.

Agreeing with this.  I have a son who was taking engineering classes at our local four-year state uni.  He opted to drop out and take some classes at the local CC, and the university actually encourages this practice for first and second year students, many of whom can take the basic classes for a lot less $$ at the two closest CCs.  (The state as a whole has also worked out a robust articulation agreement between the CCs and the universities.)  But in the fine print, we found a couple of classes that were two CC classes to equal one university class, so BUYER BEWARE, you really have to read the fine print and KNOW what is transferable.

Hmm, this did not seem to be what I was seeing last night when I searched. Admittedly, it wasn't an exhaustive search, but for first-year students, the term "official high-school transcript" kept coming up. I just tried to look at a few actual applications and gave up because they wanted me to create accounts, which I just don't have time to do today. I'll have to give it more time on another day, but in the meantime, if anyone has any links on the topic, I'd love to see them. I'm not anticipating starting CC classes for at least 2 years, but I'd better be prepared for what we'll need to do rather than muck it up. 

ETA: I know other people said the same thing, I only quoted TechWife because it happened to be the post I was on. 

Hmm, this did not seem to be what I was seeing last night when I searched. Admittedly, it wasn't an exhaustive search, but for first-year students, the term "official high-school transcript" kept coming up. I just tried to look at a few actual applications and gave up because they wanted me to create accounts, which I just don't have time to do today. I'll have to give it more time on another day, but in the meantime, if anyone has any links on the topic, I'd love to see them.

Just go check out the instructions for the Common Application. For example, go to Guide to the Application in this link:

https://recsupport.commonapp.org/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=33014&task=knowledge&questionID=794

The student is required to list the school currently attended, as well as a history of schools previously attended, with dates, any education interruptions, and any college courses taken.

Those schools my DD has applied to that did not use the Common App but their own application form explicitly asked for any college courses the student has taken. To get to the question, you need to open an account and begin filling out the application; you will be asked eventually.

The courses may not be part of the "official high school transcript", but many (not all) schools request that official transcripts from any institutions where the student has taken courses are submitted.

I do not consider it wise to withhold information on the application intentionally.

Our experience:  all of the in-state Florida universities and a couple of private Christian colleges would have accepted or have accepted my oldest three dc's dual-enrollment credit with no problem.  It is super common in Florida to dually-enroll in CC for both high school and college credit. Thus the name *dual-enrollment.*

Lisa

From another Lisa, and another Florida student... ;)

We had no trouble, either. DD's credits at CC counted toward both HS and college.

But you can't just make up your own transcripts for grad school.   :confused1:  You send official transcripts from all colleges you have attended; you can't pick and choose which courses you want them to know about and which you're going to hide. 

But you can't just make up your own transcripts for grad school.   :confused1:  You send official transcripts from all colleges you have attended; you can't pick and choose which courses you want them to know about and which you're going to hide.

For one of my previous jobs, I was required to take certain business classes (my employer picked up the tab) because I hadn't taken them in college. I got A's so I have nothing to hide, but I'm not going to bother getting transcripts from the various universities I took them through when I go to apply for graduate work in psychology/counseling next year. They aren't relevant so they're not going to make a difference in my application. Do you really think that the admissions committee cares about how I did in a handful of undergraduate-level business management, finance, and accounting courses taken after I got my bachelor's?

When I applied to grad schools, every one of them required listing ALL college courses taken for credit. I think universities prefer to make the decision themselves as to whether a student's previous college work is or isn't relevant to their application.

I have read that if students did not apply for or use any federal aid, then their transcripts are not part of the National Student Clearinghouse and are unlikely to be "found" by colleges who run a report, but personally I would not choose to withhold that information from a college application.

Do you really think that the admissions committee cares about how I did in a handful of undergraduate-level business management, finance, and accounting courses taken after I got my bachelor's?

Yes, yes they do. It's up to them to decide what is relevant and what is not relevant to their admission process. Full disclosure means full disclosure. I will be surprised if you find a grad school that doesn't want a transcript of all of the college classes you have taken. 

I've considered taking classes at our local university because they're interesting to me, but if/when I apply to grad school, if they're not pertinent to the degree I'm looking for, I'm not going to include them on a transcript

You are not going to write yourself a transcript for applying to graduate school - you don't homeschool yourself to a bachelors degree.

You will be required to have all colleges where you have ever taken coursework for credit submit their official transcripts

State colleges may have an agreement with the in-state community colleges to accept their credits, but other than that, whether credit is accepted or not is entirely up to the individual colleges.  Most have said that they won't decide what credits, if any, will be accepted until after the student arrives on campus.  They'll need to see a syllabus and for some courses, such as math, a placement test will be given.   Then there's no guarantee of whether they will count towards required courses, or just receive credit as an elective, and for many schools it depends on whether the course is in the student's major area of study or not.

As other have said, generally in-state publics accept the credits and many less selective colleges do as well, but some of the less selective liberal arts colleges will put a maximum number of credits before the student will need to apply as a transfer student instead of with freshman status.  We've seen that many of the more selective ones won't give credit, or have a low limit on the number accepted.  But what I have heard from those who are attending these schools is that while the credit for the course didn't transfer, the number of credits already completed did change their status at the college, usually from the second semester.  So a student can enter as a freshman having taken college courses, and end up with sophomore or junior status their second semester of their freshman year.  This can have benefits for registration priority and sometimes housing as well.  Nice perk!

Jeannie I'm sorry you're going through that hassle with the transcript.  Hopefully they'll accept the credits in the end.  When colleges have conditions on accepting credits, what we've seen most often is that the course must be taken on a college campus, taught by a college instructor (not high school), and have a majority (or some percentage) of college students in the class.  They often stipulate that the course can't be counted for high school credit as well, and some also say that they won't give credit for any online classes even if they meet the other requirements.

As for those withholding information on college courses taken when applying to colleges, not a good idea IMO.  Honestly I can't even think of a reason to want to do that assuming the grades were good.  But there were a few posts made while I've been typing, so the answer may already have been given. 

Jeannie, thank you for the heads up.  This thread was an eye-opener on how many have/had high school/college students as so few ever come on the high school boards.  

I am speaking from my previous experience as the Registrar of a small LAC. Students VERY often do not submit official transcripts from all colleges they have attended.  They list the colleges on the application, but no official transcript is received. We never wasted the time trying to track those transcripts down. If the students didn't want credit for other coursework, they could just take the courses at our college. It didn't hurt us for them not to get transfer credit. Perhaps more prestigious schools feel differently, however.

And how would they catch her out if she decides not to pay X dollars a pop for transcripts?

This is all unbelievably complicated and mind numbing and CLEARLY is gamesmanship on the part of the colleges.  They want your $ for their course, not to accept the equivalent from a CC.

Requiring that students disclose all college coursework they have taken for credit is not "gamesmanship" — it's a way of ensuring that the information on which admissions departments base their decisions is accurate and complete.

As for whether any given college will accept some, all, or none of a student's previous coursework, in many cases it has more to do with whether the college feels that the content or level of the coursework is comparable to their own classes. Calc 2 at Podunk CC may not cover the same material at the same depth as Calc 2 at Harvey Mudd, and colleges certainly have the right to determine the level and quality of coursework required for a degree that will bear their name and seal. Students with a lot of DE & CC courses, who want to ensure that all those credits will transfer, should select 4 year schools with that in mind.

And how would they catch her out if she decides not to pay X dollars a pop for transcripts?

National Student Clearinghouse is one resource. 

It's been a long time since I've pulled out my college transcript, but I believe that if you went to more than one college, it will be noted on your transcript. In other words, college number two would know about college number one and so forth. Of course, I may be wrong about that and it's also possible it may have been done at one time but is no longer done. 

In this particular situation, it's also possible that they will verify employment history as part of the admission process. While most companies give out little to no information about former employees, you never know when you're going to run into an employer that will disclose educational information. 

I guess I'm wondering why someone would choose not to disclose this information. Presumably, an applicant would want to do everything within their power to comply with admission requirements, so why not disclose information requested? I do understand it costs money to have a transcript sent  - but is dodging a fee really worth potentially losing out on an educational opportunity? 

I am speaking from my previous experience as the Registrar of a small LAC. Students VERY often do not submit official transcripts from all colleges they have attended.  They list the colleges on the application, but no official transcript is received. We never wasted the time trying to track those transcripts down. If the students didn't want credit for other coursework, they could just take the courses at our college. It didn't hurt us for them not to get transfer credit. Perhaps more prestigious schools feel differently, however.

So their performance on these college courses is irrelevant for your admissions decision?

What percentage of applicants does your LAC accept?

So their performance on these college courses is irrelevant for your admissions decision?

That's what I was wondering. A student could claim on his application that he had all As in his previous college work, decline to send a transcript, and no one checks to see if that's true?  :confused1:

That's what I was wondering. A student could claim on his application that he had all As in his previous college work, decline to send a transcript, and no one checks to see if that's true?  :confused1:

Many years ago, in a land not so far, far away, I applied to a state college after I had completed a summer "Junior on Campus" semester at a private LAC between my junior and senior years of high school. I chose not to attend the college where I did JOC. However, I listed the college in the appropriate place on the college application for the college I did want to attend. At that point, I didn't care if the credits transferred (I was young, what can I say?). Now, the catch was, the JOC college didn't release JOC transcripts until the student had earned a minimum number of credits at their college (JOC credits were deeply discounted, I paid full price for room & board. They would have released my transcript w/out additional credit hours earned if I had made up the difference so that full price was paid for the credits retroactively). The admissions director of the college where I was applying contacted me after a certain period of time went by because my application was "incomplete" due to the lack of college transcript and that he was required to review all of my college-level work, whether or not I wanted the credits to transfer. I explained the situation to him and he called the LAC to confirm the policy. He then called me back and asked for a copy of my JOC grade report and the JOC admission letter, which he agreed to accept in lieu of a transcript given the situation. Obviously, none of my credits transferred. It was actually less expensive to re-take the courses at the state college than it would have been to pay for the courses to get the transcript, so the only thing I "lost" was time. 

So, in my case, the admissions director absolutely did follow up! 

Do you really think that the admissions committee cares about how I did in a handful of undergraduate-level business management, finance, and accounting courses taken after I got my bachelor's?

I don't know whether they care how you did in those classes, but if the application says to submit transcripts from all institutions attended, and you withheld that information, I would think that would be considered fraudulent. 

As far as hassle and expense go, I can order my transcript online in a few minutes. It will cost me a whopping $1.75 processing fee.

Wow, that's cheap. Our school charges $10.

Actually, the university itself charges nothing. But since I am on the other coast now, I would have to request the transcript online, so I'd have to pay that processing fee. Even if I still lived in that city, it would cost me that much to drive and park .....

But back to the original issue -- can a homeschooler really just choose to not report courses taken at a CC? 

Actually, the university itself charges nothing. But since I am on the other coast now, I would have to request the transcript online, so I'd have to pay that processing fee. Even if I still lived in that city, it would cost me that much to drive and park .....

But back to the original issue -- can a homeschooler really just choose to not report courses taken at a CC? 

It's not about whether the courses are reported as all we've come across do require full disclosure of any college courses taken during high school, it's about whether they are included as part of the high school transcript.  Some colleges won't give college transfer credit if the course was part of the high school graduation requirements and given high school credit on the official high school transcript.  If the courses were taken in addition to the required high school courses, then there's no need to list them on the high school transcript, and an official college transcript will show them the courses the student has taken.

It's not about whether the courses are reported as all we've come across do require full disclosure of any college courses taken during high school, it's about whether they are included as part of the high school transcript.  Some colleges won't give college transfer credit if the course was part of the high school graduation requirements and given high school credit on the official high school transcript.  If the courses were taken in addition to the required high school courses, then there's no need to list them on the high school transcript, and an official college transcript will show them the courses the student has taken.

Okay -- thanks for the clarification. 

Huh. As recently as 10 years ago, Arizona State accepted my dual enrollment credits, all except math, which were rejected by the math dept. for being more than 10 years old. Those credits were completed my junior year of high school, at a 4 year school not CC, but were definitely part of my high school credits. The OP's experience seems off to me. But then, different state, and private vs. public, so I guess YMMV..

But again, I'm going to repeat, not all colleges require that college transcripts be sent in as part of the admissions process.  We (WTMers, collectively) have varying experiences depending on the college.  Some require that you list the college(s) and date(s) of attendance, and that is all.

Also, summarizing, WTMers have a wide variety of experiences with the issue of "double-dipping."  Some colleges, and not necessarily lower tier schools, are perfectly happy to allow college courses used to fulfill high school graduation requirements count for college transfer credit, too. 

It all depends, and the wise choice is to plan far ahead with enough flexibility in mind that your kid can end up where s/he wants, in the best shape possible. 

The mantra given to me by WTM mamas was ASK THE SCHOOL.

But again, I'm going to repeat, not all colleges require that college transcripts be sent in as part of the admissions process.  We (WTMers, collectively) have varying experiences depending on the college.  Some require that you list the college(s) and date(s) of attendance, and that is all.

Also, summarizing, WTMers have a wide variety of experiences with the issue of "double-dipping."  Some colleges, and not necessarily lower tier schools, are perfectly happy to allow college courses used to fulfill high school graduation requirements count for college transfer credit, too. 

It all depends, and the wise choice is to plan far ahead with enough flexibility in mind that your kid can end up where s/he wants, in the best shape possible. 

Yes, I was just giving our experience.

Definitely the best info comes from specific schools, but it's hard to know early in high school where your student will apply, or at least it was for us. 

When I applied to grad schools, every one of them required listing ALL college courses taken for credit. I think universities prefer to make the decision themselves as to whether a student's previous college work is or isn't relevant to their application.

But the credits weren't applied towards my degree. I had already completed my bachelor's when I took the courses and the credits from the business classes haven't been applied towards anything. I could've chosen to apply some of them towards a certificate had I wanted to earn that credential but as my employer was only paying for specific job-related courses, I didn't feel it was worth spending my own money to finish the certificate.

I don't know whether they care how you did in those classes, but if the application says to submit transcripts from all institutions attended, and you withheld that information, I would think that would be considered fraudulent.

I did not attend the institutions as a degree-seeking student. Had I wanted to apply the courses taken towards a second bachelor's degree at one of the schools, I would've had to go through the regular admissions process.

Just go check out the instructions for the Common Application. For example, go to Guide to the Application in this link:

https://recsupport.commonapp.org/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=33014&task=knowledge&questionID=794

The student is required to list the school currently attended, as well as a history of schools previously attended, with dates, any education interruptions, and any college courses taken.

Those schools my DD has applied to that did not use the Common App but their own application form explicitly asked for any college courses the student has taken. To get to the question, you need to open an account and begin filling out the application; you will be asked eventually.

The courses may not be part of the "official high school transcript", but many (not all) schools request that official transcripts from any institutions where the student has taken courses are submitted.

I do not consider it wise to withhold information on the application intentionally.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I'm able to spend more time on this. 

This surprises me.  Even CCs in NC require college transcripts for incoming students--despite the open door policy. 

Indeed, check with the college!

But the credits weren't applied towards my degree. I had already completed my bachelor's when I took the courses and the credits from the business classes haven't been applied towards anything. I could've chosen to apply some of them towards a certificate had I wanted to earn that credential but as my employer was only paying for specific job-related courses, I didn't feel it was worth spending my own money to finish the certificate.

I did not attend the institutions as a degree-seeking student. Had I wanted to apply the courses taken towards a second bachelor's degree at one of the schools, I would've had to go through the regular admissions process.

Whether you were a degree-seeking student when you took the courses, or ever applied those credits towards a degree, is irrelevant. Grad school applications require that you list all previous colleges attended and all courses taken for credit (which includes courses where credit was not awarded because the course was failed). If the course was audited, or it was a noncredit course (e.g. a Zumba class at the local CC), then those do not need to be reported. If the course was a for-credit course, and you received a grade (including P/F), then you are supposed to report it, regardless of whether it was applied to a previous degree or is relevant to your proposed degree.

Even if this is all that's required on the application, the college may very well require official transcripts from accepted students before enrolling. For example, the UCs allow students to self-report courses & grades, but require official transcripts once students are accepted.

Even if this is all that's required on the application, the college may very well require official transcripts from accepted students before enrolling. For example, the UCs allow students to self-report courses & grades, but require official transcripts once students are accepted.

This is what we encountered most of the time, for both DE/CC and AP results. 

It doesn't matter why you took them or whether or not you were seeking a degree. If you earned credit  if it says all colleges attended, you must list it. I don't understand what the problem is. 

Correct, previous coursework was not necessarily used for admission decisions.  The college at which I worked was not selective in admissions. I left 3 years ago, so I don't remember the acceptance rates, but they are high. The feeling was that it was appropriate to base admissions, even for transfer students, only on high school grades/ACT scores because that showed what the student was capable of, even if they had a "bad" semester elsewhere. At least, that is what I was told. I was not in the admissions department, so there may be more to the story. 

I believe it is not a particularly unusual policy for (non-competitive?) colleges. I know there were many students who could not get transcripts released from our college because they owed us money and yet those students still attended other colleges.