Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW4

Robin M

I just checked out Beatrix Potter A Life In Nature from the library yesterday. It is a really thick book so we will see how long it takes. :001_cool:  I was also wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a book that pertains to the Stolen Generations in Australia. I would really like to learn more about that but have not been able to find really any documentaries. :bigear:

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out bookriots  -   No I won't read your book if I think you are a monster.   Once you find out about an author's personal or political views or actions, does it color your view of them? A couple years back I took a film versus literature class and learned some interesting things about a few authors. I had a hard time after that separating the author from the viewpoints of a book.  Do you refuse to read a book because you don't personally like an author?

Check out bookriots  -   No I won't read your book if I think you are a monster.   Once you find out about an author's personal or political views or actions, does it color your view of them? A couple years back I took a film versus literature class and learned some interesting things about a few authors. I had a hard time after that separating the author from the viewpoints of a book.  Do you refuse to read a book because you don't personally like an author?

Pretty much -- There are actors I won't watch too. ;)

I finished Sarah Addison Allen's The Sugar Queen last night. I was hoping my dislike for Garden Spells was a fluke and that I would like this book, but I have to say I really didn't. :leaving:

I felt like I connected to the story because it felt like I was back in high school, except that the characters were close to my current age, so it was just weird. And I won't get started on the binge-secret eating aspect of the whole story that just got swept under the rug in the end....

Kafka on the Shore by Murakami:  I found this much more engaging and sympathetic than what I read of Wind-up Bird, but my overall reaction was one of disgust and... almost anger.  I hated the what felt like endless descriptions of Kafka's private parts and their reactions/feelings/memories, the incestual sexual components of the story angered me - especially the 'dream' rape of his sister.  ...but at least those sexual parts of the story had some conceptual role, the scene with Nakata's helper and the prostitute & his memories of previous sexual encounters were absolutely unnecessary.  ...and then the gruesome scene of cat murders - cutting out their hearts while alive and then beheading them.  Windup Bird also had an intensely evil character who brought a dark icky-ness - less bothersome in some ways because I didn't care about any of the characters.

Perhaps if I had found the underlying story more compelling, or the puzzle pieces more believable I might have liked the book better despite the content issues... but although I saw some of Murakami's skill as a writer, I didn't buy into the book, but I kept reading b/c the characters had grabbed me enough that I wanted to keep trying.  I'm glad I read it, but I don't plan to ever read another.

Oh man, you're really not making me want to try him out again....(and all that you wrote is exactly why I haven't tried him again.)

5. "The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

4. "Finding Hope" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
3. "When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
2. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling. (Read-aloud)
1. "The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes" by James L. Ferrell (LDS).

It was a tough year for us last year (steadily worsening mental health issues in DH and DS), and it doesn't look to be over yet, so at least for the beginning of the year, I'll be reading not so much for intellectual challenge or entertainment, but more for, um, I don't know, emotional and spiritual recentering. I don't know what else to call it. Also for information needed to understand what's going on. I don't plan to sum up what I'm reading for a while, just list the title and author, and since many will probably be by authors from my faith (LDS), I'll put that in parenthesis when it applies as well.

Kafka on the Shore by Murakami:  I found this much more engaging and sympathetic than what I read of Wind-up Bird, but my overall reaction was one of disgust and... almost anger.  I hated the what felt like endless descriptions of Kafka's private parts and their reactions/feelings/memories, the incestual sexual components of the story angered me - especially the 'dream' rape of his sister.  ...but at least those sexual parts of the story had some conceptual role, the scene with Nakata's helper and the prostitute & his memories of previous sexual encounters were absolutely unnecessary.  ...and then the gruesome scene of cat murders - cutting out their hearts while alive and then beheading them.  Windup Bird also had an intensely evil character who brought a dark icky-ness - less bothersome in some ways because I didn't care about any of the characters.

Perhaps if I had found the underlying story more compelling, or the puzzle pieces more believable I might have liked the book better despite the content issues... but although I saw some of Murakami's skill as a writer, I didn't buy into the book, but I kept reading b/c the characters had grabbed me enough that I wanted to keep trying.  I'm glad I read it, but I don't plan to ever read another.

:eek:  :eek:  If this is Murakami, then I'm SO glad that I didn't read him.  Did I mention I'm still  :eek:  

ETA:  I can't get rid of this second multi-quote.  I was going to comment but thought it might be controversial so decided to delete it but it won't delete  :glare:

I finished Sarah Addison Allen's The Sugar Queen last night. I was hoping my dislike for Garden Spells was a fluke and that I would like this book, but I have to say I really didn't. :leaving:

I felt like I connected to the story because it felt like I was back in high school, except that the characters were close to my current age, so it was just weird. And I won't get started on the binge-secret eating aspect of the whole story that just got swept under the rug in the end....

Oh man, you're really not making me want to try him out again....(and all that you wrote is exactly why I haven't tried him again.)

The Sugar Queen wss not my favorite. I think her best book is The Girl Who Chased the Moon. If you want to give her one more try, I'd recommend going with that one.

Um, yeah. Don't think I'll be reading Kafka on the Shore.

Eliana -- I no longer need to preread Kafka on the Shore for dd. I don't think she would enjoy it at all at this point. I will read it at some point because I am curious but it can be a bit further down in my pile. It sounds very much like typical Murakami not like a teen appropriate AP prep book. Fortunately we have a huge list .....

When Wanderers Cease to Roam by Vivian Swift: Recommended by Kareni last year (thank you, honey!).  It is a sweet book with pretty watercolors and a blend of musings, descriptions of her town on Long Island, and travel reminiscences (wow! She has had such an exciting life!)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Eliana.  I also liked her Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France.  At the time, I posted:

"Le Road Trip tells the story of one idyllic French honeymoon trip, but it is also a witty handbook of tips and advice on how to thrive as a traveler, a captivating visual record with hundreds of watercolor illustrations, and a chronicle depicting the incomparable charms of being footloose in France. Armchair travelers, die-hard vagabonds, art journalists, and red wine drinkers will all find something to savor in this story."

This is a fun book for browsing and reading. It would be of interest to those who journal, those who enjoy illustrated journals, and Francophiles.

Regards,

Kareni

I just checked out Beatrix Potter A Life In Nature from the library yesterday. It is a really thick book so we will see how long it takes. :001_cool:  I was also wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a book that pertains to the Stolen Generations in Australia. I would really like to learn more about that but have not been able to find really any documentaries. :bigear:

Start with Rabbit Proof Fence. I'll ask my brother if he has any further recs.

I try very hard to not find out much about an author.  I don't want to spoil my enjoyment.

Like Mumto2 said, there are actors I won't watch because I've found out too much about their personal lives.

Eliana, sorry you didn't like Kafka on the Shore. I was thinking Murakami might not be your cup of tea.

For those who haven't read Murakami & are feeling scared away from that book, I do have to chime in & say that I really loved Kafka on the Shore (minus the cat scene). I think Kafka on the Shore is a compelling, interesting, mind-twisting, very Murakami read.

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

Interesting question to always ponder. (And, this type of question was an integral part of the whole Goodreads fiasco/issue last year -- should a GR user be able to shelve books on a 'do not want to read this author' shelf, regardless of why he/she does not want to read the author? Or will that hurt the author's reputation &/or sales &, therefore, it should not be allowed for readers to publicly post/shelve books like that?)

Hey, BaWers, I hate to resurrect the 1970s flashback thread, but thought you would want to know that the Captain & Tennille are getting divorced[/url] (after 39 years together).

[

Ok, now you can carry on with books again... :leaving:

Hey, what happened to...'Love will keep us together, think of me babe whenever...

:lol: :smilielol5:

Huzzah!  I finished my first food novel of the year (one of my 5/5/5 challenges), John Lanchester's The Debt to Pleasure, a strange little book indeed.  The first person narrator is a real creep.  About a third of the way through the book, I almost tossed it but sprinkled amongst the adjectives, rambling clauses and constant parenthetical comments was the occasional tidbit of story line.  Toss or commit, I asked myself.  Obviously I did the latter. But I can't say that I recommend the book...

Onward.  I picked up an Ultra Dusty, The Cunning Little Vixen by  Rudolf Tesnohlidek.  The novel has its roots in a newspaper serial published in 1920 with sketches by Stanislav Lolek.

The Adventures of Sharp-Ears the Vixen was such a hit that a book form was immediately produced.  Among those enamored was Leos Janacek whose opera The Cunning Little Vixen is based upon the tale.  In 1981, the New York City Opera staged a production with sets by the beloved Maurice Sendak. The edition of Vixen that I am reading is illustrated by Sendak, probably one of my favorite children's book illustrators (but then I have always been a bit of a Wild Thing ;) .)

And now for a moment of Sendak serendipity:  What do you say dear when you bump into a crocodile on a crowded city street?

I finished Winter Study by Nevada Barr and I can not recommend it. A friend of mine likes Nevada Barr's books and since it had a "Winter" Title and the premise looked interesting, I thought I'd try it. Since it was a murder mystery and included wolves, I was prepared. It was kind of interesting and no worse than watching Jurassic Park, until the author hits you with the back story when you are more than 3/4 of the way through. That was definitely obscene, and not wolf related. After that, the story finished on a typical suspenseful survival note, but I was just disgusted that I had invested so much time in that story. Ugh.

I finished Winter Study by Nevada Barr and I can not recommend it. A friend of mine likes Nevada Barr's books and since it had a "Winter" Title and the premise looked interesting, I thought I'd try it. Since it was a murder mystery and included wolves, I was prepared. It was kind of interesting and no worse than watching Jurassic Park, until the author hits you with the back story when you are more than 3/4 of the way through. That was definitely obscene, and not wolf related. After that, the story finished on a typical suspenseful survival note, but I was just disgusted that I had invested so much time in that story. Ugh.

I read that one when it first came out and remember disliking it. I should have liked it because of a personal connection with that island. When you said you were reading it I did wonder if you would enjoy it. That is one author that has changed over the years greatly and I normally no longer read. I do remember enjoying a couple early ones but since then they all have a certain yuk factor that I think depends on what your personal limits are.

I finished the "Sherbrooke Bride" by Catherine Coulter which was a reread from years ago. Fluffy and racier then Georgette Heyer but I enjoyed it. I wanted to compare the two authors and this was a favorite from years ago.

As a side note I was able to download this one directly onto my kindle through overdrive library system. I am pretty sure it was one that needed a cable a couple of months ago when I first looked at it. Several that used to be cable now are direct I think.

Have also started reading a Jamaician novel, The Lunatic by Anthony Winkler.

"In this outrageously out-of-order, hilarious novel, the reader discovers that lunacy is by no means restricted to the village madman, and that goodness and forgiveness may be rarer qualities, found in unexpected places.

Aloysius is tolerated by neighbors but forced to eke out a living by doing odd jobs, using the hospitable woodlands for shelter. He is starved of human companionship; instead he has running conversations with trees and plants. Then love, or a peculiar version of it, comes to Aloysius in the form of a solidly built German lady, Inga Schmidt, who has come to Jamaica to photograph the flora and fauna."

I found this book after reading Flavorwire's list of independent publishers:

http://flavorwire.com/417838/25-independent-presses-that-prove-this-is-the-golden-age-of-indie-publishing/view-all/

(The Lunatic is published by Akashic Press.)

Aw, and it looks like it would be so good.  I've never read anything by Nevada Barr.  I wonder if her earlier work is worth checking out?

Speaking of wolves, for those who enjoy Young Adult, and still need a winter book, I recommend The Wolves of Mercy Falls series, by Maggie Stiefvater.  I very much enjoyed it.  The first one is called Shiver.

"For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.

Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever."

Start with Rabbit Proof Fence. I'll ask my brother if he has any further recs.

I was going to recommend that one too.

I try very hard to not find out much about an author.  I don't want to spoil my enjoyment.

Like Mumto2 said, there are actors I won't watch because I've found out too much about their personal lives.

Wow, I never gave much thought to this. Researching authors might be a way to cull my too large tbr list.

Okay - I just did it! - I thought I was the only one who couldn't figure out how to multiquote. It actually wasn't that difficult.

I got sidetracked by the story lines listed below that article...27 signs you're a Shiba Inu; Balcony Drapes made of Moist Bacon ; This Muffin Looks like a Chihuahua. !!!!!

Posting from my phone so I don't have access to all the smilies that could accompany this...

Oh and I finished another book in the same vein as my previous book. This one, called 'Midlife Eating Disorders' , was comprehensive but depressing. So much suffering in this world :(

I think I'm going to download 'Winter Sea' by Susanna Kearsley. After the heaviness of the 2 previous books I'm ready for a bit of a story :D

Just finished Helen Fielding's new book: Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy. It doesn't get great reviews on Amazon (I think many are bitter that Mark Darcy is killed off), but I really enjoyed it. I can thoroughly relate to Bridget's thought processes, insecurities, good intentions, and procrastination, so I've always enjoyed the journal style of the Bridget Jones books.

Tonight I'm picking up the new Flavia de Luce book at the library. Cannot wait to get started on this one. May have to put the kids to bed right after dinner so I can have some peace and quiet (yeah, right!).

When I was renting my landlady (who was my age) went water skiing. It was not her first time. She was pretty good at it. Anyway, she ended up being drug around in the position you mention above. It literally tore her body. The force of the water went into her posterior and shredded her colon. She was bleeding profusely when she got out of the water. She didn't go to the doctor right away but went home. She said the bleeding turned into huge clots. So she finally went to the ER. She had emergency surgery to remove a large piece of her colon/large intestine. They rerouted her intestines so that she voided into a bag. She had to live like that for almost a year while they waited for her intestines to heal enough to try and fix it. She was able to finally have reconstructive surgery and she now voids normally again. She was lucky. She could have died from blood loss and blood infection from the feces that had gotten into her blood.

So she tells everyone to water ski wearing a sturdy pair of jeans cause a bathing suit offers no protection.

What I find amazing is that she had the best attitude about it all and cracked jokes about it all the time. The guy she was water skiing with just happened to be their first date. They ended up getting married. Can you imagine your first date being a major physical injury and the guy sticks with you through the next year of you having a poop bag taped to your ribs, and then marries you? Talk about a keeper!

Not sure if I should "Like" this post or not. (But I did!)  O.U.CH...  He sure is a keeper!  

For you Kindle readers, I notice that The Lunatic is currently $4.39.

I was reading this morning while ds was at a class & was giggling to myself. I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, but can say that so far, it's funny & delightful & brash & outrageous. (FYI, for those that need to know, it may also be considered "R" rated in some parts.) 

(I like this review on amazon.)

Try a Jamaican book! :coolgleamA:

And now for a moment of Sendak serendipity:  What do you say dear when you bump into a crocodile on a crowded city street?

Excuse me.

We have a winner!

I was trying to decide though whether one says "Excuse me" before or after yelling, "Aaargh, run for you life!"

Regards,

Kareni

I love that list - have read quite a few:

My biggest guilty pleasure out of that list is Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake series.  Graphic in all ways~  Doesn't start out much in the sex department, more solving murders.  Then oh boy,  If you don't like vampire or werewolves, or group sex, don't even think about it.  Just like the main character, Hamilton gradually sucks you into it over the course of the series.  The story line is quite addictive. Well, at least for me.  Not a series you want to start in the middle. 

Lee Child, I started Jack Reacher's saga somewhere in the middle. Will eventually start from the beginning, but I want to find out what's going to happen next.

Dean Koontz Odd Thomas series - excellent, but I don't think of it as a guilty pleasure.  Sookie Stackhouse - yes, just a fun, fluffy, vampire series.

Hey, BaWers, I hate to resurrect the 1970s flashback thread, but thought you would want to know that the Captain & Tennille are getting divorced (after 39 years together).

Ok, now you can carry on with books again... :leaving:

Now I've got muskrat love and love will keep us together running through my brain.   Funny, that love isn't keeping them together now that he can't play music anymore.  I guess it was the music keeping them together.  Don't like her much right now, now that she's abandoning him because he has parkinsons. 

Enjoying reread of The Passage.  How sad is it that I don't remember half of it and only read it a couple years ago. 

I read that one when it first came out and remember disliking it. I should have liked it because of a personal connection with that island. When you said you were reading it I did wonder if you would enjoy it. That is one author that has changed over the years greatly and I normally no longer read. I do remember enjoying a couple early ones but since then they all have a certain yuk factor that I think depends on what your personal limits are.

I remember liking Winter Study, although it was a difficult read. I don't remember if it was the subject matter or characters I had a hard time with.  I read Blind Descent first which is what sold me on her stories.   I haven't read any more since finishing Winter Study which could be for the reason you mentioned (yuk factor) and I just don't remember it, but subconsciously it stopped me from reading anymore. 

I finished Anna Karenina this week - my first book of the year! I enjoyed it, and especially loved Levin's character - his social blunders, his love of the country and manual labor, his desire to do things right and his honesty. Such a nice contrast between him and the others who were more versed in social politics. Both he and Anna "followed their hearts," but she did so in a way that hurt her soul, and he did so in a way that enriched his. I loved his musings on rational thought vs. faith. Overall, not a joyful book, but I ended it feeling hopeful.

... and my perspective on empty spaces within myself is a religious one....

Oh! Such poetry here...I've gone on a little journey with those words of yours, the limbs and heart turning and turning, as if unfolding into the breath that precedes the beginning note of a Mozart aria...Love!

I adored this book... and one of the things I loved was actually the structure of it.  ...the unreliable narrator, the seemingly random presentation of information... and the way it all wove together.  Imho, it is a masterpiece.  ...but there are many masterpieces out there and I know there are ones I don't like... maybe I'll appreciate them someday, but as of now, they just do not work for me.

I want to reassure you that it will all come together for you, but the Murakami I read last week didn't come together for me, the threads didn't weave together into a transformative whole...

...Code name Verity captured me from the very beginning.  It was one of a dozen Kindle samples I was going through to decide whether to place a library hold, to delete it, or to add it to a tbr list... but when I reached the end of the sample, I couldn't bear to stop reading.  We spent grocery money on it.

..so, for me, it wasn't a gradual appreciation, I was sold almost immediately.

The reassurance I can offer is that there is a structure, there is a linear plot... it just isn't being presented linearly, and I think it is a stronger, more powerful book for the way it is structured, but ymmv.  It all does, imho, come together - and since it is a YA book, it has a happier ending than strict historical accuracy might call for (ten times this for Rose Under Fire), but it broke my heart.  The center of this book, for me, was the friendship of the two central characters, and it resonated so strongly that, in a way, it felt as if the ending was me and my best friend... but Wein's two WWII books also exemplify the way some truths can be better conveyed via fiction.  (This is an incredibly loaded, painful debate, especially around Holocaust issues - dd#2 gave me on a book on the topic, here let me find it: A Thousand Darknesses)

Last night I finished part 1 and entered part 2. I feel it tying together now. Sometimes I find myself getting some of the peripheral characters mixed up because of the code names and it makes it harder for me to follow.

Some of the lines in the book are exquisite and I find myself reading them several times over just to let them sink in.

"It's like being in love, discovering your best friend." (pg. 68)

" I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can't believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant.

But mainly so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old now." (pg. 114)

I feel that when I'm done with it, I will probably reflect that I love it! Part of the reason I will love it is the effort it took me to appreciate it.

In the meantime, I have also been reading some short stories from Classic American Short Stories. My daughter is doing an interpretive piece for speech and debate this year using The Yellow Wallpaper and that story is in this volume. I'm loving short stories lately so I've read several others in this book as well.