Menu

When have you started MCT?

sunnyday

Idly, I flipped through some samples of MCT Grammar Island, Sentence Island, and Building Language today. I read it to my kids and they were in LOVE. This is exactly the kind of thing my DS7 wants (he has asked me for grammar instruction, asking for how to use verb tenses and the difference between pronouns and nouns; he's also fascinated about Latin as it pertains to English and we've talked about starting some Latin instruction when he's a little older). The samples look great for him. But...if I read it right, it's designed for gifted 3rd graders. DS is a strong reader and a quick learner but as I've posted elsewhere, I don't even know that he'd qualify as gifted. I'd been planning to wait until at least late second grade to start grammar and Latin but now I don't know.

When have you started MCT language arts with your accelerated child?

My son asked to start beginning languages when he was about 3.  I didn't listen to him and thought it must have been something he saw on TV or heard somewhere.  Oh, no, he meant it.  When I finally realized how serious he was, I bought a high school level, really clear book for Latin and our charter school provided us with Rosetta Stone.  He was only in Kindergarten.   He never even looked at the Latin book.  I would read, and then translate it as best I could into language he could understand.  He played with Rosetta Stone off and on, but there were times it frustrated him because he was too young to really get what they were talking about.  However, in only a year or two, he was flying through both.  Now, at 9, he is still majorly into languages and still wants to be a linguist, only his list of languages has expanded to Arabic and Japanese (both of which I'm sweating).

I say this because, it didn't matter that it was a high school book or an "older kid" program.  What mattered was that my son was really, actually interested.  He was going to sponge up whatever I could expose him to.  Your son is 7 and is asking "older kid" questions about grammar.  Let him learn.  You might need to translate a bit, but who knows where he might go if you let him.

DS started "island" when he was 6. It was 2nd semester of his "transition" year between K & 1st (he has a birthday 3 weeks before the cutoff so I started him in K at not-quite-5). We went slowly and it took him a little over a year to finish all the components. We continued on to Grammar Town, Practice Town, and Caesar's English but he isn't ready yet for the writing in Paragraph Town. He's currently working through the 3rd book of Singapore "Sentences to Paragraphs", which is a good extension of the material in Sentence Island.

ETA: Song School Latin is really fun! DS is currently working through the 2nd book of that program.

We just finished it, and DS just turned 6 this month. He loved it. We read the poetry book, but skipped the poetry exercises. He did try a bit of poetry, but not what they asked. DS loves language, learning, and he loved the relaxed format of the books. You can always start it, and if he truly isn't ready than stop and wait. I've heard a number of folks say don't start it until they are ready to write and hence use it. DS Likes writing, and just yesterday asked me if he was using a semicolon right. Oddly I was able to explain his mistake using the grammar we have learned...no, you need a subject and a predicate there...and that was enough to clarify for him. So,I guess if he has interest and any desire to start writing,then go for it! Ages are only approximations, and really a child's interest ought be the only governing factor.

I just bought it and we haven't used it yet, but I could easily see a 1st grader using it.  Especially one who is advanced.  I was planning to start using it with my average 2nd grader (a young 7) soon.  I was thinking it was too basic for my advanced 2nd grader (just turned 7 this month).

We recently finished Sentence Island. It is just right for DD (age 7)...but DS (just turned 9) found it too basic, so he's zipped ahead to Town while DD stays with Island level a little longer. So you might as well strike while the iron is hot, if it looks like something you want to use and the child is ready for it.

We started at age 6/7, did town at 7/8, and then skipped this year at age 8/9 to focus on technical writing since she's doing so much science right now. We'll probably go back for Voyage next year. I'm torn on whether to do it at home or to put DD in the Online G3 class for it-she really loves the group classes she's done at Athena's and definitely benefits from the discussion (and fights less on writing when it's assigned by someone outside), but _I_ like MCT!

I would like to start MCT in 1st when DS is 6/7, but am concerned about the jumps in writing required as the levels progress. If we took writing breaks, and did MCT along with WWE and CAP W&R, would those help to bridge the jumps between the writing levels (Island, Town, Voyage, etc.)?  

I looked at WWE1 and planned to start it next year at 5/6 before we started MCT, so would be in WWE2 during Island.

Also, are any of you using the new CAP W&R program and using it with younger kids (before 3rd)?

I've got my eye on the new CAP W&R books (though I need another writing program on my shelf like I need a hole in my head, LOL!). I might try them with DS after he finishes book 4 of Singapore "Sentences to Paragraphs". Then again, I might just have him work through EPS' "The Paragraph Book" series (most likely starting with book 2 of that series but I'll have to look them over after he finishes the Singapore writing books) since I already own that.

Thanks for the reassurances, all! I have no idea when/how we will get to it outside of school hours, but we've found a way to get to all our other subjects, so this could be fun. :) (And the more curriculum we do outside of school, the stronger I feel my case is for pulling him to homeschool...*cough cough*...)

Thanks for the reassurances, all! I have no idea when/how we will get to it outside of school hours, but we've found a way to get to all our other subjects, so this could be fun. :) (And the more curriculum we do outside of school, the stronger I feel my case is for pulling him to homeschool...*cough cough*...)

That's how we started.  School pretty much just did math and language arts, I was afterschooling history and science and writing.  When school math started sucking, I thought, What the heck? I'm practically teaching everything else anyway?  Might as well homeschool!  

I've got my eye on the new CAP W&R books (though I need another writing program on my shelf like I need a hole in my head, LOL!). I might try them with DS after he finishes book 4 of Singapore "Sentences to Paragraphs". Then again, I might just have him work through EPS' "The Paragraph Book" series (most likely starting with book 2 of that series but I'll have to look them over after he finishes the Singapore writing books) since I already own that.

I would love to hear what you think of CAP W&R if you go that direction.

This is how we have progressed as well. We've been afterschooling, but just pulled him out of his school here in Mexico. We are returning to San Diego in a few months and are 90% sure we will continue homeschooling in the fall. I just have to work up the courage to do this full-time with a baby in tow! Best wishes to you in whatever you decide!   

That's how we started.  School pretty much just did math and language arts, I was afterschooling history and science and writing.  When school math started sucking, I thought, What the heck? I'm practically teaching everything else anyway?  Might as well homeschool!  

School already pretty well sucks for math and language arts too. Even DH has said that he is only in school for the "socialization", which is a pretty crummy reason to have my boy away from home for 7.5 hours a day. This poor kid is looking forward to our vacation to Hawaii, not for the pools and beaches, not even for the whale museum and aquarium, but because it's a full week of Learning with Mom. "I can't wait to pack! I'm bringing my chess set and tactics book, and my Beast Academy and learning notebook!"

Many people have used it for younger kids.  I looked into it when my dd was about that age.  By all accounts, she is THE person that MCT is designed for.  But when I dug deeper into the curriculum, I learned that it gets noticeably more challenging with each year.  Many people were happy with skipping a year in between and doing something else.  But my dd really needed more continuity.  So we will be starting next year, at 9yo.  It will be an easy year, but I am hoping we can just really enjoy it without worrying about how to tweak it.  

Sunnyday,

I just want to thank you for starting this thread. I had mentally filed MCT under "3rd grade - later." I'm now giving it another look for the Fall.

Just so I understand this right - I can start out just getting the TM of Grammar Island and the student and teacher books of Practice Island? I need to keep costs low, and by Fall I think we'll be into BA, so another pricey curriculum would seriously strain the budget.

Ds 1 (2E) was 8 when we did Island and it was perfect for him at that age. I suspect I will start ds 2 on it at 7.5 but that really depends on his reading level. Island is so fun and can be done younger than suggested easily, but we are finding Town far less fun and a lot more academic so that is a consideration for starting age too depending on if you plan to take breaks between levels.

Just so I understand this right - I can start out just getting the TM of Grammar Island and the student and teacher books of Practice Island? I need to keep costs low, and by Fall I think we'll be into BA, so another pricey curriculum would seriously strain the budget.

If I were on a tight budget, I would get Sentence Island rather than Grammar Island. All the information in Grammar Island is repeated in more depth in Sentence Island.

If I were on a tight budget, I would get Sentence Island rather than Grammar Island. All the information in Grammar Island is repeated in more depth in Sentence Island.

Ah, yes, I see. Thanks!

You can just get the TM, yes? There's no sample pages of that available that I can see.

My kid would not mind seeing the question boxes I see in the other TM's as we read it. In fact, I think he would be more comfortable seeing them. I have a suspicion that he half-believes that I just make stuff up in order to make his life difficult.

Ah, yes, I see. Thanks!

You can just get the TM, yes? There's no sample pages of that available that I can see.

My kid would not mind seeing the question boxes I see in the other TM's as we read it. In fact, I think he would be more comfortable seeing them. I have a suspicion that he half-believes that I just make stuff up in order to make his life difficult.

I put Post-It notes over the boxes in the TM.

We got the minimalist homeschool pack, it even at that I felt the teachers manual and the student text that they gave for Sentence Island and Grammar Island were overkill. I would not recommend getting the student book. For the quizzes or activities that are in there,they are short enough to write out on paper or a whiteboard and save yourself some money. They only student book I'd get is Practice Island. And unless you are terrible at grammar yourself or have never learned this stuff, I'd skip on the solutions manual of Practice Island too. And if you really want to save money you can ditch practice island and just pull sentences to diagram from the nearest book on your bookshelf! In fact, I wish I had done that:)