Menu

Is ACT considered a "Nationally Standardized Test"

I am assuming that the ACT would be considered a "Nationally Standardized Test", but I am having a moment of self-doubt and thought I would ask all of you.

In CO, this is what our homeschool law states:

Each child participating in a nonpublic home-based educational program shall be evaluated when such child reaches grades three, five, seven, nine, and eleven. Each child shall be given a nationally standardized achievement test* to evaluate the child's academic progress, or a qualified person shall evaluate the child's academic progress. The test or evaluation results, whichever is appropriate, shall be submitted to the school district that received the notification of intent to home school.

I have always administered the Iowa Basic Skills test and for the past few years, Dd and Ds both took the tests through their ps homeschool enrichment program. Ds is in 11th, so this testing is required of him, but I did not sign him up for the ITBS, because he is signed up to take the ACT (and the SAT later in the year).

While I am betting that the ACT will be accepted with no problems, I just do not want to make a mistake fulfilling the legal requirements.  I also have not been able to get in touch with my district's homeschool liaison to ask this question.

Do you feel that the ACT would fulfill this requirement?

***UPDATE  Ok, I was just able to get through to my district's homeschool liaison, who also happens to be our Superintendent's Assistant.  She stated that they would absolutely accept the PSAT, ACT, or SAT.  She even wrote that down for me.

This makes me feel better.

Thank you all for your responses.  I threw that question out there so fast that it never occurred to me that there would be so many different definitions of a "Nationally Standardized Test" from the different states.  Very interesting.

The difference between the ITBS/ITED and the ACT is that the Iowa test people develop norms by intentionally testing groups of students who are representative of students nationwide whereas the ACT's norms are created by using the data generated by the actual group of students testing on a particular day.  Aside from mild variations from group to group and from test to test, the biggest difference is that the ACT group are generally *college bound* students.  So, if your son were to take the 11th grade Iowa test, he would be compared to a group that includes everyone, but when he takes the ACT, he will be compared to a group of college bound students.  College bound students are essentially the top half of the Iowa curve.  What this means in practice is that his percentile rank on the two tests will likely be different, with the ACT percentile being lower.

So, I think that the ACT would fulfill the spirit of the law but not the letter of the law.

I am fairly certain that after 16, the law does not apply to your child.

(quoting from http://rockymountaineducationconnection.com/homeschool-laws-and-faqs/colorado-homeschool-law-in-a-nutshell/)

For teenagers, remember: compulsory school age ends at age 16 in Colorado. If your child will turn 16 fourteen (or more) days before your homeschool year starts, don’t bother filing an NOI. It’s moot, nada, no longer required.

I would take that to also mean that you don't have to submit testing.

This all assumes your child is 16.

In my state (not CO) the language is similar.  I had an "aha" moment when I realized that I could maybe save the time and expense of testing my DC.  So I checked both state-wide homeschool organizations, and unfortunately one said "yes" and one "no." 

Then I dug up the name of the person who actually processes the homeschool paperwork in my county and emailed them.  They replied right back and said, "yes." Her rationale is that they are looking for standardized scores of the 24th percentile or better, and even if a college test is a more academically-oriented population, it will count as long as you are in the 24th percentile or better.  If you take a college test and score below that, she recommends that you go ahead and take one of the standard K-12 tests like the Stanford or Iowa. 

I've heard that not every county in my state is like this though, but the policy I've outlined above sounds reasonable.  They accept the PSAT, SAT, or ACT.

(quoting from http://rockymountaineducationconnection.com/homeschool-laws-and-faqs/colorado-homeschool-law-in-a-nutshell/)

For teenagers, remember: compulsory school age ends at age 16 in Colorado. If your child will turn 16 fourteen (or more) days before your homeschool year starts, don’t bother filing an NOI. It’s moot, nada, no longer required.

If you don't file a NOI, is your child still considered a high school homeschooled student by the state, or does the state no longer consider the student to be in high school? 

Ok, I was just able to get through to my district's homeschool liaison, who also happens to be our Superintendent's Assistant.  She stated that they would absolutely accept the PSAT, ACT, or SAT.  She even wrote that down for me.

This makes me feel better.

Thank you all for your responses.  I threw that question out there so fast that it never occurred to me that there would be so many different definitions of a "Nationally Standardized Test" from the different states.  Very interesting.

Then why does the state law require testing in 11th grade?  

I don't know.  I am going to ask my county homeschool coordinator tomorrow,  the homeschool association (that I quoted) could be wrong or the law could be an either/or sort of thing (you know --- testing until the 11th grade or 16 years which ever comes first yada yada yada)

Then why does the state law require testing in 11th grade?  

Florida has a similar law, but here there are lots of benefits to continuing to file as a homeschooler even if school is no longer compulsory. If you do not, it is as if schooling has ended. Students not filed with the state as homeschoolers for 11th and 12th grade have no ability to participate in after school activities,  high school sports, scholarship opportunities such as National Merit Scholars or our state college scholarships (Bright Futures,) dual enrollment or even local events open to high school students.

Florida has a similar law, but here there are lots of benefits to continuing to file as a homeschooler even if school is no longer compulsory. If you do not, it is as if schooling has ended. Students not filed with the state as homeschoolers for 11th and 12th grade have no ability to participate in after school activities,  high school sports, scholarship opportunities such as National Merit Scholars or our state college scholarships (Bright Futures,) dual enrollment or even local events open to high school students.

That would be mine concern with not filing.  I would be concerned that colleges or if one wasn't heading the college, future employers would consider the student a high school drop out since the student did not file with the state to officially continue homeschooling.

We are in Oregon and while our homeschool laws require testing only in 10th grade, our state sports association requires testing every year in order for my son to swim on the high school team. They will NOT accept the ACT or the SAT, so I have to spring for Terra Nova or another "nationally-normed" test. All of you that are able to use the ACT and the SAT are fortunate. It's a complete waste of time and money.

If you don't file a NOI, is your child still considered a high school homeschooled student by the state, or does the state no longer consider the student to be in high school? 

We continued to file it just for the NCAA.

I'm a bit pleasantly surprised they accept it in so many states for a "Nationally normed achievement test" - I didn't realize it was an achievement test at all.  My state does not accept either the SAT or the ACT (apparently, they don't cover enough subjects), but they have a portfolio or teacher assessment option also, so we never bothered with any of the other tests.

Michele, do you have any links to confirm this?  I agree that it should be accepted but my school district is saying it is not accepted by the state.  If they are wrong that will change our testing plans!  Thanks.

I believe this was a recent change (last year or the year before), but I am looking for the documentation for you.  Also, if your child is 16 or over, you no longer have to report to the school district at all.

Here is what I have found:  

• Subd. 11. Assessment of performance.

(a) Each year the performance of every child ages seven through 16 who is not enrolled in a public school must be assessed using a nationally norm-referenced standardized achievement examination. The superintendent of the district in which the child receives instruction and the person in charge of the child’s instruction must agree about the specific examination to be used and the administration and location of the examination.

(b) To the extent the examination in paragraph (a) does not provide assessment in all of the subject areas in subdivision 9, the parent must assess the child’s performance in the applicable subject area. This requirement applies only to a parent who provides instruction and does not meet the requirements of subdivision 10, clause (1), (2), or (3).

© If the results of the assessments in paragraphs (a) and (b) indicate that the child’s performance on the total battery score is at or below the 30th percentile or one grade level below the performance level for children of the same age, the parent must obtain additional evaluation of the child’s abilities and performance for the purpose of determining whether the child has learning problems.

(d) A child receiving instruction from a nonpublic school, person, or institution that is accredited by an accrediting agency, recognized according to section 123B.445, or recognized by the commissioner, is exempt from the requirements of this subdivision.

[Note that Minnesota families are NOT required to provide test scores to superintendents.]

Perhaps I have been fortunate and not had a superintendent call me on using the ACT for my high school students?

http://homeschoolers.org/homeschooling-info/mn-homeschooling-laws-forms/yearly-testing/ - does not list the ACT

I am still searching for the documentation I received that noted the change to accept the ACT and the changes to the driver permit application.

OK, after reading that so many other states do not accept the ACT as a "Nationally Standardized Test", I am not so sure I should accept the advice the Assistant of my local District's Superintendent gave me.  She can "write a note" all she wants, but if the state does not accept it, we could be in big trouble.

So I called the Department of Education for my state.  The woman who handles homeschooling questions is on leave until the middle of February.  Her voicemail says to leave a message and someone will call me back - but the message box is full.

I have now called the main line for the Colorado Department of Education four times.  The line rings, then sounds as if it connects, the goes to blank air.

Why am I not surprised?

OK, after reading that so many other states do not accept the ACT as a "Nationally Standardized Test", I am not so sure I should accept the advice the Assistant of my local District's Superintendent gave me.  She can "write a note" all she wants, but if the state does not accept it, we could be in big trouble.

So I called the Department of Education for my state.  The woman who handles homeschooling questions is on leave until the middle of February.  Her voicemail says to leave a message and someone will call me back - but the message box is full.

I have now called the main line for the Colorado Department of Education four times.  The line rings, then sounds as if it connects, the goes to blank air.

Why am I not surprised?

I'm south of you, and my friend had to give her dd the ITBS in 11th grade because she was told the ACT was not acceptable.

I'm south of you, and my friend had to give her dd the ITBS in 11th grade because she was told the ACT was not acceptable.

I am having the hardest time finding out an answer.  I have been put through to 3 different people in CDE and they had no idea what the answer was.  I really dislike the fact that he may have to take the ITBS along with the PSAT, SAT, multiple ACTs, and two APs.  It just seems like such a waste of time.

That would be mine concern with not filing.  I would be concerned that colleges or if one wasn't heading the college, future employers would consider the student a high school drop out since the student did not file with the state to officially continue homeschooling.

Most employers would be unaware of whether the parents of their homeschooled applicants complied with their states' homeschool statutes. Most colleges don't care, either. Besides, surely the parents are graduating their children regardless of state homeschool statutes for filing, so their children would indicate that yes, they had graduated from high school.

Why don't you just use the evaluator option?

Ours looked at ds1's SAT scores, and said, he's good. 

Do evaluators freak out if you decided to start all over in chemistry after jettisoning the last curriculum and are now only about 1/8th where we should be?

Would same evaluator have a problem that ds basically stopped his Algebra 2 so that he could do the Chalkdust SAT/ACT Math Prep to prepare for the tests and will have to go into the summer to finish the course?

His two AP courses and French 3 are doing well, but these two are a bit behind.  Do they look at where he is in the year?

This is why I hesitate getting an evaluator I do not know.

The other item I would check on is the timing of the test...

For example would a test in fall of grade x be considered acceptable or do they have an expectation that the test will be done near the end of the school year.

I realize that if one can meet grade level expectations in fall of that grade it is crazy to say you need a spring test...but- bureaucracies and such.

• 8 years later...
On 1/14/2014 at 12:58 PM, Lara in Colo said:

Lara, I (Cindy Englan Wentz) am the owner of Rocky Mountain Education Connection, I wrote that, and yes, you are correct. Unpacking it: In Colorado, your "homeschool year" begins on whatever date you choose. June, August, September, October, et al. You don't have to begin your year when your local school district begins their year. If your teen is turning 16 two weeks, or more, before you start your year, you can opt out of filing a Letter of Intent to Homeschool. Ergo, you can also opt out of Standardized Testing. That's because the homeschool statute in Colorado only covers children until they are age 16. Once they're 16, the state has no further jurisdiction over their education. BUT NOTE: There are three separate education laws in CO (public, private and homeschool) so this ONLY applies to homeschoolers.

You CAN still do Standardized Testing for your own curiosity, or college admissions requirements, etc. It's just that your local school district and the state are no longer in the loop, so you don't have to submit the results to them. We have a vague homeschool law (on purpose), it's confusing to many, so I hope this helps. 🙂

Cheers,

Cindy